Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It's not about being a bad loser or a bad winner. He's responding to a post in which another poster accused Diarmuid O'Connor of punching one of the Galway players. When that poster was asked to give details so that we could all view this punch, the answer was to go back and watch the almost 80 minutes of the match again and find it themselves. It was very easy to find Paul Conroys knee in the head and the other guys sly dig into Tommy Conroys face. Why not just give the details of DOCs alleged punch. The reason being; that he made it up.
    So there was nothing about being a bad winner. But there are definately many sore losers.

The irony of Mayo people telling people to move on from poor referee decisions and calling people poor losers. It's the very first thing that comes to mind for most when you think of Mayo fans given ye've been at it for 30 years. The first half was an utter farce in terms of decisions, pushes in the back everywhere not given. The big decision in the second half was Higgins on Silke

https://twitter.com/bennytierney/status/1328000053663977473

Both teams were fairly putrid. Have seen suggestion from Mayo fans that they were comfortably the better team. How they came to that conclusion having been given the rub of decisions, chopping down a goal scoring chance and winning by a point, I don't know. I would have been fairly downbeat even if Galway had got over the line yesterday. Would say similar about Mayo beating an injury ridden team which had all the signs of rustiness with a lack of games. Galways handling errors was the biggest factor in the game

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    The irony of Mayo people telling people to move on from poor referee decisions and calling people poor losers. It's the very first thing that comes to mind for most when you think of Mayo fans given ye've been at it for 30 years. The first half was an utter farce in terms of decisions, pushes in the back everywhere not given. The big decision in the second half was Higgins on Silke

The referee gave the exact same decision earlier in the second half. Bryan Walsh in the right corner forward position, Steede on top of him and it's given as a free out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Such a blinkered view of the ref, heres a red for Conroy, add into that the yellow on that Durcan got for nailing Conroy with a shoulder, if that doesn't happen Durcan stays on Walsh for the full game and he doesn't have the influence he had when Keegan went on him

https://twitter.com/alandugganmayo/status/1328027628280946690?s=20

Both teams were fairly putrid. Have seen suggestion from Mayo fans that they were comfortably the better team. How they came to that conclusion having been given the rub of decisions, chopping down a goal scoring chance and winning by a point, I don't know. I would have been fairly downbeat even if Galway had got over the line yesterday. Would say similar about Mayo beating an injury ridden team which had all the signs of rustiness with a lack of games. Galways handling errors was the biggest factor in the game

I doubt you've seen that anywhere, certainly nothing I've read has suggested that.
    FWIW its worth I dont see much reason to be downbeat, we beat our nearest rivals while playing poorly with a team of kids. We have three weeks to try and fix some of our issues but theres 13 Mayo lads with their first Connacht medals today. Add to that Kerry are out of the way and any way you look at it Mayo should be beating Cork or Tipperary, as I'd expect Galway if they'd won. Theres not a hope in hell we'll beat the Dubs but it would be mighty to be there and great experience for the nine lads playing championship football for the first time this year. Excited is what Mayo fans should be.

Galway can blame rustiness and handling errors but as an outsider the biggest issue is on the sideline. They dogs on the street know that Mayo are in trouble if you push up on their kickout yet Joyce decided not to do that until the 65th minute or so. Played a semi defensive game that I hadn't seen all year, maybe it was tried out in other games? It certainly affected yer attacking game. Bringing on Comer when he clearly wasn't up to it, what does that say to the rest of his team?
    And even if it was rustiness, hes had three weeks to get that sorted, its a cop out and at least Joyce himself said that couldn't be an excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

Green&Red wrote: »
    Such a blinkered view of the ref, heres a red for Conroy, add into that the yellow on that Durcan got for nailing Conroy with a shoulder, if that doesn't happen Durcan stays on Walsh for the full game and he doesn't have the influence he had when Keegan went on him

I doubt you've seen that anywhere, certainly nothing I've read has suggested that.
    FWIW its worth I dont see much reason to be downbeat, we beat our nearest rivals while playing poorly with a team of kids. We have three weeks to try and fix some of our issues but theres 13 Mayo lads with their first Connacht medals today. Add to that Kerry are out of the way and any way you look at it Mayo should be beating Cork or Tipperary, as I'd expect Galway if they'd won. Theres not a hope in hell we'll beat the Dubs but it would be mighty to be there and great experience for the nine lads playing championship football for the first time this year. Excited is what Mayo fans should be.

Galway can blame rustiness and handling errors but as an outsider the biggest issue is on the sideline. They dogs on the street know that Mayo are in trouble if you push up on their kickout yet Joyce decided not to do that until the 65th minute or so. Played a semi defensive game that I hadn't seen all year, maybe it was tried out in other games? It certainly affected yer attacking game. Bringing on Comer when he clearly wasn't up to it, what does that say to the rest of his team?
    And even if it was rustiness, hes had three weeks to get that sorted, its a cop out and at least Joyce himself said that couldn't be an excuse

Team of kids . Lol . Ye picked the best team available in yer county . The age profile is yer own business . Ye were never as glad if a final whistle . Both teams played poorly . But yer through now and good luck to ye . It’s being 70 years since ye brought home an all Ireland and most galwegians wouldn’t begrudge ye . I wish ye all the best . Now if ya would go to your forum it would be appreciated . We are raw enough here today .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Limerick 1.15pm. Time to step up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

Limerick 1.15pm. Time to step up.

I'd be happier if this were in Croker. After playing the last two there we'll be going then to playing a heavy pitch which even if we win will take more from the legs for the following week. Shouldn't be playing a game of this magnitude down there. Not fair on either team.

Ya was hoping for Croker too. The fact we've already played two games there in winter conditions I thought could only be a plus. I've a feeling everything Galway do at the moment seems to be rowing against the tide. Bit of luck has to come from somewhere!

Ya was hoping for Croker too. The fact we've already played two games their in winter conditions I thought could only be a plus. I've a feeling everything Galway do at the moment seems to be rowing against the tide. Bit of luck has to come from somewhere!

I hope so, if theres one thing this team has had zero of, its luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

threeball wrote: »
    Walsh is in the conversation for best player in the country and Sean Kelly is a superb player. ..

and that conversations goes like

person 1. "do you think shane walsh is one of the best players in the country"
    Everyone esle "no"

Tis but a brief conversation, but a conversation none the less

That being said, there is massive talent on the team, and they should perform better. Genuinely stunned by PJs comments all year, to the point where i think hes no better than Kevin walsh. "To me anything less than an all ireland in the first year will be a failure", in that case, since he didnt win a championship game all year, then he is a resounding failure....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Squatman wrote: »

Everyone esle "no"

That being said, there is massive talent on the team, and they should perform better. Genuinely stunned by PJs comments all year, to the point where i think hes no better than Kevin walsh. "To me anything less than an all ireland in the first year will be a failure", in that case, since he didnt win a championship game all year, then he is a resounding failure....

Give it a rest.
    Pretty sure most people who know what they're talking about in the country would agree he's one of the best of the current crop.

• Advertisement

macslash wrote: »
    Give it a rest.
    Pretty sure most people who know what they're talking about in the country would agree he's one of the best of the current crop.

he certainly is for galway. definitely big fish in that pond.

Sound sham. You know I meant in Ireland. If you can't see that he is then I can't help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ah would ye stop. Shane Walsh is definitely one of the best footballers in Ireland. I can safely say any team would take him if Galway didn't want him. Including the Dubs.

And I actually thought he had a mixed bag against Mayo. Kicked some amazing points but he had a bit of a shocker in the first half where he kicked away possession 5 or 6 times. But the whole Galway team was like that for much of the game. Just lacking match sharpness from not having any games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Well, as he's said himself, if you're aiming to win it in year 3, then does that mean you're wasting two years in the meantime?

Sound sham. You know I meant in Ireland. If you can't see that he is then I can't help you.

no footballer of the year, played the way he played on sunday (in the same year)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Give it a rest.

My favourite player at the moment. And I mean out of all counties.
    It's an amazing talent and skill for a player to outpace other intercounty players whilst soloing the ball themselves. And he just glides through it.

Everyone esle "no"

Don't be applying for an jobs as a selector if you don't think Walsh is one of the best in the country. Theres is literally no one more talented, yes a little inconsistent before this year but name one other player that can run at the pace he does switching between left and right foot and shoot equally well off both. I dont think there's anyone as talented and effective when he's on song. He'd walk on to any team in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Green&Red wrote: »

My god where to start. A team of kids? What age do you think Sean Mulkerrin, Paul Kelly and Cien Darcy are? Im reasonably sure Galway's average starting age was younger overall.

The Durcan hit was before the ball had reached O'Donnells hands. The player has to be in possession before a shoulder hit can come in. Why do you think you never see lads coming in with shoulders while players rise high for kickouts? Because its in the rules you've to wait for possession. Nobody knows if Conroys was deliberate, he was running that direction. Big turning point in the game was a clear high foul and turnover on Sice, Mayo went down and got their last score.

Have a look at the match thread on hoganstand, or twitter threads and you'll see a common theme of neutrals questioning the referee, with Galway being robbed the takeaway. Went on the entire game. Like I said before, I don't think we deserved anything but don't delude yourselves that ye didn't get the massive rub of decisions. I'll have some laugh in future if a Mayo fans ever complains about a cynical chop down also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

Squat man obviously not a Shane Walsh fan . Entitled to there opinion . 99 percent wouldn’t agree but whatever . He’s probaly not even from Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭cosatron

My favourite player at the moment. And I mean out of all counties.
    It's an amazing talent and skill for a player to outpace other intercounty players whilst soloing the ball themselves. And he just glides through it.

It’s really is amazing how effortless he makes soloing look. I never seen anyone solo like him maybe Michael Donnellan or Declan o Sullivan but they aren’t even close. Like he solo past Keegan as if he wasn’t even there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

If you're not rating Shane Walsh as a top top player maybe you have to question yourself as knowing f all about ball. Sublime player, impossible to mark, speed, can go left or right, toys with defenders and goes past at will, usually very accurate,never shirks responsibility or workrate. A joy of a player to watch. Read Aidan O'Rourke's column on RTE website talking about Mayo being overly attacking and you'll understand how against the grain a player like Shane Walsh is, long may he thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

The Durcan hit was before the ball had reached O'Donnells hands. The player has to be in possession before a shoulder hit can come in. Why do you think you never see lads coming in with shoulders while players rise high for kickouts? Because its in the rules you've to wait for possession. Nobody knows if Conroys was deliberate, he was running that direction. Big turning point in the game was a clear high foul and turnover on Sice, Mayo went down and got their last score.

The player does not have to be in possession of the ball to be shouldered. You see it all the time when 2 players are going for a ball. The referee seemed to indicate Durcan caught O'Donnell high which was blatantly incorrect. Obviously it's illegal to shoulder someone that has jumped in the air for a kickout but that doesn't apply here.

Do we know if Mulkerrin's hit on T Conroy was deliberate? A Galway red card in the 1st half would also have been a big turning point.

Squat boy knows squat about football. Who'da thunk

Going back to Shane, there was a period of play in the second half where he literally danced between A'OS and the sideline and skipped away. I mean I've seen him up close and personal absolutely roast players and obviously on the county scene but when O'Shea closed in on him I was thinking he's hardly going to try and jink his way out! He's phenomenal. Buckets of skill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Anyone who doesn't rate Shane Walsh knows nothing about football, he's a joy to watch in full flight. Lads who don't rate him are probably the same lads who love watching teams full of athletes who can't kick a ball play football.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I think Shane Walsh is a wonderful baller as Donaghy is known to say.

How many players are equally adept off of either foot.

How many players can accelerate past an opponent whilst soloing?

He is like a ballerina and poetry in motion in full flight.Similar to Clifford he has such an elegant stride.

I would give anything to have a Shane Walsh north of the west Galway county border.Same would make our life a lot easier in winning an All Ireland.In fact during our pomp in the last decade I firmly believe we'd have won an All Ireland with a forward of his ability in our midst.There's few enough footballers that would likely walk onto any team and that includes the Dublin team,Walsh and Clifford are such footballers.

Having said all that he would do my head in as a Galway supporter with his inconsistency.

I thought he was equisite in the second half on Sunday post Paddy getting that bizarre yellow card ( those opportunities to tie up the match were difficult and came with massive pressure attached ) and same effected my overall impression of his performance and blinded me a tad to his first half failings..
    His first half was the polar opposite consisting of a number of turnovers and poor passes.

He has the potential to be a great with far more consistency,more support,the ability to take those scores at clutch moments and a celtic cross medal sa phoca.

That's the love in with Galway firmly over.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

seligehgit wrote: »
    I think Shane Walsh is a wonderful baller as Donaghy is known to say.

How many players are equally adept off of either foot.

How many players can accelerate past an opponent whilst soloing?

He is like a ballerina and poetry in motion in full flight.Similar to Clifford he has such an elegant stride.

I would give anything to have a Shane Walsh north of the west Galway county border.Same would make our life a lot easier in winning an All Ireland.In fact during our pomp in the last decade I firmly believe we'd have won an All Ireland with a forward of his ability in our midst.There's few enough footballers that would likely walk onto any team and that includes the Dublin team,Walsh and Clifford are such footballers.

Having said all that he would do my head in as a Galway supporter with his inconsistency.

I thought he was equisite in the second half on Sunday post Paddy getting that bizarre yellow card ( those opportunities to tie up the match were difficult and came with massive pressure attached ) and same effected my overall impression of his performance and blinded me a tad to his first half failings..
    His first half was the polar opposite consisting of a number of turnovers and poor passes.

He has the potential to be a great with far more consistency,more support,the ability to take those scores at clutch moments and a celtic cross medal sa phoca.

That's the love in with Galway firmly over.:D

Kieran, is that you? :D

https://www.otbsports.com/football/shane-walsh-galway-1106645

As you say yourself where to start

The Durcan hit was before the ball had reached O'Donnells hands. The player has to be in possession before a shoulder hit can come in. Why do you think you never see lads coming in with shoulders while players rise high for kickouts? Because its in the rules you've to wait for possession.

This is the issue with people commenting on football and not knowing the rules of the game.

Rule 1.7
    Provided he has at least one foot on the ground, a player may make a shoulder to
    shoulder charge on an opponent:-
    (a) who is in possession of the ball, or
    (b) who is playing the ball other than when kicking it, or
    (c) when both players are moving in the direction of the ball to play it.

Durcan was fully entitled to lift Conroy out of it, it completely changed how Mayo marked Shane Walsh for the remainder of the game. He went from giving the ball away six times in the first half to looking like the best player on the pitch in the second half. Paddy Durcan is third favourite for POTY, him getting that yellow and being moved off Walsh is a major factor.

Why do you think you never see lads coming in with shoulders while players rise high for kickouts?

For the exact reason in the rules above, you need to have a foot on the ground

Nobody knows if Conroys was deliberate, he was running that direction.

He clearly goes out of his way to drop the knee into O'Shea, its like something Connolly would have done. You can claim he doesn't but the evidence is there

My god where to start. A team of kids? What age do you think Sean Mulkerrin, Paul Kelly and Cien Darcy are? Im reasonably sure Galway's average starting age was younger overall.

I didnt say a word about the Galway team, I said we have a team of kids, four of the players who started made the championship debut this season

Green&Red wrote:
    Durcan was fully entitled to lift Conroy out of it, it completely changed how Mayo marked Shane Walsh for the remainder of the game. He went from giving the ball away six times in the first half to looking like the best player on the pitch in the second half. Paddy Durcan is third favourite for POTY, him getting that yellow and being moved off Walsh is a major factor.

Lift who out of it? You don't seem to know a lot about the incident when you can't pick out the right players.....

Shane Walsh gave the ball away six times. Durcan had f**k all to do with it. He didn't dispossess him. Tackle him or touch him. Only person that made Shane Walsh give away the ball was Shane Walsh.

Green&Red wrote:
    He clearly goes out of his way to drop the knee into O'Shea, its like something Connolly would have done. You can claim he doesn't but the evidence is there

Drop a knee? What planet are you on? He walked into him. It's no TV. It's easy to see. His knee brushed his head. Did AOS have concussion? A cut? A bump? A scratch? He made no strike movement with his knee other than he continued to walk into him when he should of stopped. Dropped a knee. Jayus.

Green&Red wrote:
    I didnt say a word about the Galway team, I said we have a team of kids, four of the players who started made the championship debut this season

Four debutants. Class. Same as Galway.

• Advertisement

Lift who out of it? You don't seem to know a lot about the incident when you can't pick out the right players......

Sorry O’Donnell
    Who is was is immaterial to my point, it wasn’t a yellow card, without it Durcan stays on Walsh

No more than the other lad if you don’t think Durcan had a part to play in Walsh’s losing possession in the first half then you’ve obviously never played football. Having someone harrying you constantly leads to rushing passes and over cooking them.

Advertisement