Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Green&Red wrote:
    No more than the other lad if you don’t think Durcan had a part to play in Walsh’s losing possession in the first half then you’ve obviously never played football. Having someone harrying you constantly leads to rushing passes and over cooking them.

So Shane Walsh kicking a free to a Mayo player because Durcan was harrying him? Right. Which he did twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

So Shane Walsh kicking a free to a Mayo player because Durcan was harrying him? Right. Which he did twice.

We’ll just ignore the other four times?

Fair enough

Seems to be the way, just ignore the mistakes the ref made in the first half cause it doesn’t suit the narrative that Galway were rode by the ref

Green&Red wrote:
    Seems to be the way, just ignore the mistakes the ref made in the first half cause it doesn’t suit the narrative that Galway were rode by the ref

As our manager said and I fully agree. Galway "rode" themselves. Galways issue not Mayo's. But after playing as bad as we possibly could and I'm not sure we could have played much worse if a couple of things had gone our way like the foul on Sice which led to a turnover and a Mayo point or the Higgins foul on Silke or the line ball asked to be retaken in the dying seconds when the game was there so be won we could of gotten out of jail. That's the nature of a one point loss. Decisions that would be small in a more comprehensive victory are very big in a tight game.

We won't even mention the black card.

So no. Galways poor performance on a poor outing was the overriding factor in them losing. But on a different day even playing that poorly a couple of decisions could of seen Galway end up winning instead of losing.

As our manager said and I fully agree. Galway "rode" themselves. Galways issue not Mayo's. But after playing as bad as we possibly could and I'm not sure we could have played much worse if a couple of things had gone our way like the foul on Sice which led to a turnover and a Mayo point or the Higgins foul on Silke or the line ball asked to be retaken in the dying seconds when the game was there so be won we could of gotten out of jail. That's the nature of a one point loss. Decisions that would be small in a more comprehensive victory are very big in a tight game.

We won't even mention the black card.

So no. Galways poor performance on a poor outing was the overriding factor in them losing. But on a different day even playing that poorly a couple of decisions could of seen Galway end up winning instead of losing.

My point was that I think the ref gave some shocking decisions to both sides, I'd argue the worse ones were against us, I'm sure Galway would argue the opposite.

I completely take your point that if any of those late decisions had gone Galways way then they would have a very tangible impact on the game.

FWIW I think the free out against Higgins was in keeping with a free he gave against a Mayo forward (Dairmuid or Conroy I think) up the other end when two Galway backs hounded him. If I was Galway I'd be much more pissed off with the sideline being brought back over a couple of yards.

On the black card I dont think anyone could honestly say they wouldn't want their county to do the same.

Green&Red wrote:
    On the black card I dont think anyone could honestly say they wouldn't want their county to do the same.

Every team may of done it. But on this occasion it was the Galway team and Galway fans that were on the wrong end of it. No amount of "ye would of done the same" will soften the blow. It was potentially the difference between an All Ireland semi final instead of licking our wounds.

• Advertisement

Every team may of done it. But on this occasion it was the Galway team and Galway fans that were on the wrong end of it. No amount of "ye would of done the same" will soften the blow. It was potentially the difference between an All Ireland semi final instead of licking our wounds.

Thats fair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Was someone wronged?? As far as I know, the rules were applied.
    Mayo man took down a Galway player. And got punished for it by the letter of the law. Unlawful tackle by the Mayo player. And ref did his job correctly. Correct black card.
    If you don't like the rules of the game, that's another story. Get a petition going to the GAA hierarchy.

Was someone wronged?? As far as I know, the rules were applied. Mayo man took down a Galway player. And got punished for it by the letter of the law. Unlawful tackle by the Mayo player. And ref did his job correctly. Correct black card. If you don't like the rules of the game, that's another story. Get a petition going to the GAA hierarchy.

Yawn. I'd say you're the only man on the planet that got that from my post. Congrats.

• Site Banned Posts: 32 ShlugMurphy

Some pundits really have a hard on for Shane Walsh.

They seem absolutely amazed someone can solo a ball with their other foot. I know the bar is low because the game has turned into handball and how much of an athlete you are but come on...

Dolan claiming he doesn't know which his strong foot is....when you see him miss several frees by about 15 yards with his left and drop a shot into the keepers hands twice a game it's easy know which his good foot is!

And since when has Bernard Power become Bernie? Did Darragh Maloney become buddies with him or what? He had a good game at the weekend but really need an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

They seem absolutely amazed someone can solo a ball with their other foot. I know the bar is low because the game has turned into handball and how much of an athlete you are but come on...

Dolan claiming he doesn't know which his strong foot is....when you see him miss several frees by about 15 yards with his left and drop a shot into the keepers hands twice a game it's easy know which his good foot is!

I've seen him miss more frees with his right than with his left. He was exceptionally steady on his left during the 2018 season, see the 6 he got with it in the Connacht final. He's not a top class free taker, his return is 75-80% when the real top free takers are 90%. He's equally footed though, that been well established over the course of his 8 years thus far

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 32 ShlugMurphy

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I've seen him miss more frees with his right than with his left. He was exceptionally steady on his left during the 2018 season, see the 6 he got with it in the Connacht final. He's not a top class free taker, his return is 75-80% when the real top free takers are 90%. He's equally footed though, that been well established over the course of his 8 years thus far

Sorry but he's not equally footed.

He had 2 or 3 frees with his left that went miles wide.

He also had 1 point he left behind when he dropped it into the keepers hands in the first half. He scored a point from his left that just creeped over the bar too.

Needs to put more juice on them. Conroy scored a super point off his left way out wide, was a beauty. If Shane Walsh scored it Dolan would have creamed himself. Andy Moran and Paul Mannion are two obvious players come to mind that were/are far more impressive with their weak feat than Walsh. Paul Mannion is just a month older than Walsh too. Perception of Walsh being a new kid on the block.

There's a serious lack of quality forwards in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

And since when has Bernard Power become Bernie? Did Darragh Maloney become buddies with him or what? He had a good game at the weekend but really need an upgrade.

Ray Silke has often told a story when he was teaching Shane in Jarlath's that they were drilling kicking with the weaker foot and Shane himself didn't know what foot was his weaker foot.

I've seen him kick frees with both feet from on and off the ground. Kick points from either sideline off both feet. He's 100% two footed.

He's actually not a brilliant free taker. He's a decent free taker off both feet but he's not ultra reliable like Dean Rock on the frees. He can kick some difficult ones and then he'll miss one from straight in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

He also had 1 point he left behind when he dropped it into the keepers hands in the first half. He scored a point from his left that just creeped over the bar too.

Needs to put more juice on them. Conroy scored a super point off his left way out wide, was a beauty. If Shane Walsh scored it Dolan would have creamed himself. Andy Moran and Paul Mannion are two obvious players come to mind that were/are far more impressive with their weak feat than Walsh. Paul Mannion is just a month older than Walsh too. Perception of Walsh being a new kid on the block.

Christ. Do you watch one game a year? Coming in lecturing people who watch every game every year. It's probably pointless talking to you so I won't bother. Go look at a few of his YouTube highlights and see his left footed scores

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PJ98

Daly dropped a shot into the keepers hands in the first half not Walsh.

Walsh missed 2 frees that clearly weren't on, Rock has such a high % because he wouldn't take frees on from that bad an angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I don't think there's anything obvious about Paul Mannion being very good with the right peg. I don't ever remember Paul Mannion scoring with his right. I'm sure he has sometime in his football career. But it wouldn't be too often.
    McManus from Monaghan is pretty good of both feet I think. Diarmuid Connolly, Mattie Donnolly.
    Actually just did a quick search there for two-footed GAA players. THe following is a link from Hogan Stand. Guess who's name pops up first?

https://www.hoganstand.com/Forum/Details/105425?Latest=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Shane Walsh is the best 2 footed player in the game at the moment.

However, his right is stronger than his left.

It's funny that we're Thursday, the week of an AI Quarter final and nobody has really posted about it yet.

We usually seem to get the harder draws, but we don't deserve to go any further anyway if we cant win one game from Kilkenny/Tipperary.

If they get over Tipp and beat Limerick, we would certainly go into that AI with higher hopes than any year in memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

I think the pitch could make Saturday a bit of a lottery. Its been lashing all week and tomorrow is supposed to be bad again leaving no time for the water to drain away before rhrow in. Sometimes in conditions like that it matters more that the ball breaks for you than if you're better. If this was in croker I'd be confident of a win. I wouldnt put a fiver on the outcome in Limerick. Its going to be tough on the legs too which doesn't help either team in a weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

I don't think there's anything obvious about Paul Mannion being very good with the right peg. I don't ever remember Paul Mannion scoring with his right. I'm sure he has sometime in his football career. But it wouldn't be too often.
    McManus from Monaghan is pretty good of both feet I think. Diarmuid Connolly, Mattie Donnolly.
    Actually just did a quick search there for two-footed GAA players. THe following is a link from Hogan Stand. Guess who's name pops up first?

https://www.hoganstand.com/Forum/Details/105425?Latest=1

turns out all gaa players are "two footed"

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

threeball wrote: »
    I think the pitch could make Saturday a bit of a lottery. Its been lashing all week and tomorrow is supposed to be bad again leaving no time for the water to drain away before rhrow in. Sometimes in conditions like that it matters more that the ball breaks for you than if you're better. If this was in croker I'd be confident of a win. I wouldnt put a fiver on the outcome in Limerick. Its going to be tough on the legs too which doesn't help either team in a weeks time.

The Gaelic grounds pitch held up well last week.and there was a deluge. However I take your point. Its not 30% artificial like Cork or Dublin. It will take something from the players legs but thats for another day. Theres alot riding on Saturday in Limerick. I hope Galway will meet Tipperary head on

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

The Galway senior hurling team to face Tipperary in the All-Ireland SHC Quarter-final will be announced tonight at 8:30pm.

Any thoughts on what the team might be or what ye would like to see?

I'd like to see the same as last week but with Niall Burke dropped for David Burke.

A half forward line of David Burke, Canning & Mannion with Cooney, Whelan & Concannon in the full-forward line.

DVDM93 wrote:

Couple of changes seem to be mooted. Harte for Loftus possibly.

When you think of it Galway are playing 5 players who I think are natural 6s or at least play a vast amount for their club.

Shane Cooney
    Daithi
    Joseph Cooney
    P Mannion
    GMac

Might be case of square pegs in round holes? For Tipp I would like to see majority of the same backs. Like us Tipp have size and power. But an argument could be made for more natural corner backs in Morrisery, Grealish or TJ Brennan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

DVDM93 wrote: »

I'd like to see the same as last week but with Niall Burke dropped for David Burke.

A half forward line of David Burke, Canning & Mannion with Cooney, Whelan & Concannon in the full-forward line.

Great call

Jesus H... WEAR THE PROPER STUDS. That laziness in wearing SG studs costs us that goal.

Does my head in when players refuse to wear studs in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Have it all to do now 2nd half. Hopefully can turn it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The defence need to tighten up, Tipp getting a lot of soft points with no pressure on them

Glad I had no phone watching that. Jesus. Daithi Burke. Early slip aside. Man is a machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,886 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

In terms of excitement for me this sets up the perfect tie. We're 4 hours ahead so the throw in time means it's 8pm so I'll be home in time from work to watch it...
    ...Watch it with my housemate from Limerick and her friends! :pac:

Advertisement