Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cave_dweller

cson wrote: »
    So one thing I think that's easily forgotten is that we played horrendously in the 2018 Final (flat from having an extra 160 minutes of hurling in the legs over the Championship), but we were still only a puck of the ball at the end from drawing/winning that game.

Limerick are absolutely not as good as they've been led to believe they are, and that manifested itself last year. I hope to God they still believe the hype though, because I think we're more than good enough to pick them off if they think they just have to turn up.

Yes, but that was the All Ireland final and Limerick seized up and wanted it blown up. For 68 minutes Limerick blew Galway off the pitch. Not sure how the ref gave 9 minutes extra time either. ;)

It'll be a serious game and both teams will fancy their chances. It'll be a war for 70 minutes! Limerick are rightly favourites but Galway will push them close.

One thing to mention: Limerick won the All Ireland in 2018. Since then they've won 2 Munster titles, 2 league titles, lost an All Ireland semi final by 1 point having given KK a lead of 1-8 to 2 points and are back in another All Ireland semi-final. They are unbeaten in league and championship this year. That is a serious record in one of hurlings great eras. It's completely fair to think Galway have a good chance and can win, they can, but have a little class and respect Limerick's achievements. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

kala85 wrote: »
    That's true and only for the replays that year Galway could have won the all Ireland.

However its now two years later and I cannot see Galway beating Limerick.

Galway were fortunate to beat tipp who had a man sent off and made hard work of it. That tipp team was beaten by Limerick by a large margin earlier on in the year.

The old adage of styles making fights applies in all games. Team A hammering team B who in turn narrowly lose to team C is practically meaningless when team a and c meet. For one thing tipp were far far worse in their game versus limerick than they were v galway. And if your theory held water then KK would be all ireland champions not tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭cosatron

Last week we had the mayo faithful in to tell us how overrated shane walsh is and now it seems we have limerick faithful in to tell us how lucky we were to beat tipp and this limerick team ranks as good as the kilkenny 4 in row team even though they have only won 1 all ireland is the last 39 years. Sure we might as well stay home next sunday all together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

One thing to mention: Limerick won the All Ireland in 2018. Since then they've won 2 Munster titles, 2 league titles, lost an All Ireland semi final by 1 point having given KK a lead of 1-8 to 2 points and are back in another All Ireland semi-final. They are unbeaten in league and championship this year. That is a serious record in one of hurlings great eras. It's completely fair to think Galway have a good chance and can win, they can, but have a little class and respect Limerick's achievements.

Galway have lost four championship games in four seasons. Unbeaten in 17', only lost a All Ireland final in 18' picking up Leinster along the way (league was a no go with lads drunk till February) won't say unlucky in 19' because we weren't playing well but it took a series of misfortune results to see us go out on points difference. Limerick won the league this year but plenty of teams would of fancied their chances before it was rehashed.

People talk about teams records but seem to forget how hard it is to beat this Galway team for the last number of years. Galway will be wise to what Limerick intend to bring next weekend. Whether they can counteract it is a different story. I doubt they'll go in lacking belief and hopefully a few memories of 18 are still knocking about in their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think Galway are along way off 2017 form, but, would still give them a chance against Limerick. I do think this Limerick team is overrated, they are a good team and rightfully favourites for the All Ireland, but, they did lose 3 times in last year's championship, so are definitely beatable, the way some talk about them you'd swear it was the Kilkenny 4 in a row team they were talking about, until they win another all Ireland they can't be considered a great team. Munster titles and leagues won't count for much if they don't win another all Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Girly Gal wrote: »
    I think Galway are along way off 2017 form, but, would still give them a chance against Limerick. I do think this Limerick team is overrated, they are a good team and rightfully favourites for the All Ireland, but, they did lose 3 times in last year's championship, so are definitely beatable, the way some talk about them you'd swear it was the Kilkenny 4 in a row team they were talking about, until they win another all Ireland they can't be considered a great team. Munster titles and leagues won't count for much if they don't win another all Ireland.

I think they're fair comments on limerick as a limerick man it puzzles me all this juggernaut talk about us remember though it isn't all limerick people I think the media is bigging us up big time and possibly for a big fall(like last yr). Both semis will be very close this weekend and we could have any combination of the 4 teams in the final. There has been talk of Galway scoring goals more so than limerick Funnily enough i think theres bags of goals in our full forward line and I'd be more confident if they'd push up a little more for goals .

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Robson99 wrote: »
    Anyone know why Kevin Cooney isn't getting a look in ?
    Shane Cooney slow on the ball but I would give him a while to get used of IC pace. Bigger issue is Gearoid Mc who appears to be a mile off the pace.
    Johnny Coen struggling in mid field. Possibly an option at corner back.
    Badly need Joseph Cooney in at 10 or 12. But I can see him picking up Hegarty next Sunday.

Conor Cooneys confidence is completely gone. Pulled out of the goal chance iñ second half when he thought Hogan was coming out to meet him. Flynn doesn't appear to have the fight in him.

If we had thought of winning the All Ire then we would have assumed that we would meet Limerick at some stage. I'd prefer to be meeting them in the Semi.
    Get the match up right defensively and I would really fancy our chances.
    We have to hound their half back line. Stop the supply. And get our best markers on Hegarty, Lynch and Gillane.

Finally we need to cut out the **** supply to the FF line when have time on the ball in our HB line. If we lost today that would have been the main problem

Would agree about Gmac, has been struggling, starting to think full back is his best position, whether you can play him there or not.

Disagree about Conor Cooney, he's done a lot of hard work, he never got that pass under control, the keeper was too fast.

I too worry a bit about Murphy, very inexperienced.

GS11 wrote: »
    Would agree about Gmac, has been struggling, starting to think full back is his best position, whether you can play him there or not.

Disagree about Conor Cooney, he's done a lot of hard work, he never got that pass under control, the keeper was too fast.

I think you're being very kind to C.Cooney. He got to the ball before the keeper and came off second.

We seem to have this revolving door of mediocre performances between C.Cooney, N.Burke and J.Flynn.

It's been a long time since any of the 3 had a really good game, or two decent games back to back.

Our team is so consistent(in terms of hitting points totals), its nearly as straightforward in that if two of them are starting, and hit 3 to 4 points each, it would be nearly impossible for us to lose.

Concannan has emerged and permanently replaced one of the three, but one starting position still remains, as nobody else has came through over the last few years.

I think you're being very kind to C.Cooney. He got to the ball before the keeper and came off second.

We seem to have this revolving door of mediocre performances between C.Cooney, N.Burke and J.Flynn.

It's been a long time since any of the 3 had a really good game, or two decent games back to back.

Our team is so consistent(in terms of hitting points totals), its nearly as straightforward in that if two of them are starting, and hit 3 to 4 points each, it would be nearly impossible for us to lose.

Concannan has emerged and permanently replaced one of the three, but one starting position still remains, as nobody else has came through over the last few years.

Maybe, but he has a different role this year in general, tracking back a lot more and is a way better hurler than the other 2.

Fintan just managed to get that pass away but it wasn't a good pass.

Why not comment about his play and pass for the 2nd goal, his pressure after the keeper intercepted that pass that ultimately led to a sideline that Joe popped over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

GS11 wrote: »

If GMac is struggling, then you don't want him anywhere near the FB position. It's not as if we don't have options for half backs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

cosatron wrote: »
    Last week we had the mayo faithful in to tell us how overrated shane walsh is and now it seems we have limerick faithful in to tell us how lucky we were to beat tipp and this limerick team ranks as good as the kilkenny 4 in row team even though they have only won 1 all ireland is the last 39 years. Sure we might as well stay home next sunday all together

Well, you could look at it another way and say Limerick have won 50% of the All Irelands in the last 2 years! A psychologically well prepared team going out on the pitch don't think about reputations or history.
    I don't think there will be much between them at the weekend, a lot will be decided by how Daithi Burke/ Gillane battle turns out (I think ye have the slight upper hand there) and if the likes of Hegarty, Lynch and Byrnes are allowed to play.

My money is on a (biased!) Limerick victory but whatever happens, I can't see the gap being more than 2 or 3 points either way.

To be fair to Conor he was involved in 1-3 or 1-4 the last day so not a bad outing by any stretch and when he missed the goal chance he closed down the defender that lead to the line ball and Joes point so its not like he was anonymous. If he can contribute that everyday he's worth his place ahead of Flynn.

Well, you could look at it another way and say Limerick have won 50% of the All Irelands in the last 2 years! A psychologically well prepared team going out on the pitch don't think about reputations or history.
    I don't think there will be much between them at the weekend, a lot will be decided by how Daithi Burke/ Gillane battle turns out (I think ye have the slight upper hand there) and if the likes of Hegarty, Lynch and Byrnes are allowed to play.

My money is on a (biased!) Limerick victory but whatever happens, I can't see the gap being more than 2 or 3 points either way.

Daithi will pick up Gillane or possibly Harte. I think either can hold him. Joseph Cooney will be tasked with Hegarty and Padraic Mannion with Lynch. Even if we break even there in those 3 which is very likely we're well on the way.We still have Joe, Cathal, Whelo and Concannon to do damage.

threeball wrote: »
    To be fair to Conor he was involved in 1-3 or 1-4 the last day so not a bad outing by any stretch and when he missed the goal chance he closed down the defender that lead to the line ball and Joes point so its not like he was anonymous. If he can contribute that everyday he's worth his place ahead of Flynn.

He was anonymous against KK and the only reason he started the last day was due to the complete lack of options available.

Anyway I dont want this to sound like I came on to have a go at him, just the original post seemed to say it wasnt his fault with the goal chance.
    He got first touch on the ball. I don't agree it was not his fault he didnt get it. He didnt throw himself into it with conviction.

Hes the best of the three but his time in the starting 15 has definitely been helped by the complete lack of forwards emerging. Before Concannon nobody took a position since Whelan. The turnover in that area has been really low by normally standards.

Girly Gal wrote: »

I don't think it's particularly relevant whether LK are overrated or not, the fact remains that they've set the bar as regards performance standards this year. Whoever wants to beat them will have to clear that bar. On our performance v Wexford, we have a chance, but nothing since would suggest we're yet good enough.

He was anonymous against KK and the only reason he started the last day was due to the complete lack of options available.

Anyway I dont want this to sound like I came on to have a go at him, just the original post seemed to say it wasnt his fault with the goal chance. He got first touch on the ball. I don't agree it was not his fault he didnt get it. He didnt throw himself into it with conviction.

Hes the best of the three but his time in the starting 15 has definitely been helped by the complete lack of forwards emerging. Before Concannon nobody took a position since Whelan. The turnover in that area has been really low by normally standards.

I wonder is it the "spot" itself thats the problem. The Player filling it seems to be a mix of inside forward if needed (Ja Mannion could be one of a few options along with Niland) or is it a good under the high ball position (Niall Burke would be a better option) or a dropping deep role Which C. Mannion and David Burke did the last day. I think we've run out of players that can fill all three roles and it may be the case Conor is the best option we have. From club form I thought Kevin Cooney was an option. Good under the high ball, great carrier of a ball, good finisher and an eye for goal. But he's not making the match day squad so could be hard to see him jump to match day team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

5 Galway players included in the HTOTW.

Cathal Mannion nominated for POTW.

DVDM93 wrote: »

Kildare no. 6 Divilly is son of a Monivea man, I'm quite sure, so we're claiming 6.

Anyway I dont want this to sound like I came on to have a go at him, just the original post seemed to say it wasnt his fault with the goal chance.
    He got first touch on the ball. I don't agree it was not his fault he didnt get it. He didnt throw himself into it with conviction.

Not trying to be smart but isn't that the reason most guys start, they're the best option available.

As I said, he was involved in 1-3 or 1-4. How much return do you want from one player. Did Concannon or Whelan return more than 1-3 or 1-4 or is it just because they get their name on the score sheet that you're happy with them. You had the entire team written off after 30 mins the last day and were talking about getting ready for next year. For me Cooney is improving every game and doing mountains of unseen work which hes getting little credit for. At the moment hes certainly in our best 15 so I'm not sure what you want outside of that.

• Advertisement

As I said, he was involved in 1-3 or 1-4. How much return do you want from one player. Did Concannon or Whelan return more than 1-3 or 1-4 or is it just because they get their name on the score sheet that you're happy with them. You had the entire team written off after 30 mins the last day and were talking about getting ready for next year. For me Cooney is improving every game and doing mountains of unseen work which hes getting little credit for. At the moment hes certainly in our best 15 so I'm not sure what you want outside of that.

Jesus H, I made reference to the goal chance alone from the last day.

Anything else was a general observation going back further.
    I didn't say he didnt play well the last day. Frankly he didnt deserve to start after the KK game but such is the options he got another chance.

Don't like harping back to players that aren't available but a strong fit 6' 6 lad dossing in America would be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

DVDM93 wrote: »

Hang on, I thought Joe Canning was meant to have been poor on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

Don't like harping back to players that aren't available but a strong fit 6' 6 lad dossing in America would be handy.

Time to move on . Glynn is unavailable . We go with what we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭cosatron

grbear wrote: »

i thought canning was outstanding after the last water break. broke the ball up in the air for hartes goal, 3 outrageous frees, sideline cut and gave the pass for flynn's point which was unreal considering there was 4 tipp lads coming in on top of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

i thought canning was outstanding after the last water break. broke the ball up in the air for hartes goal, 3 outrageous frees, sideline cut and gave the pass for flynn's point which was unreal considering there was 4 tipp lads coming in on top of him.

He was excellent in second half it’s just he is held to the very highest standards all the time with the bar he has set for himself over the years .

He featured in TSG highlights more than any other player. Small things like winning a ball in a ruck, the ball up the line that led to one of the goals. But if you take them away we lose.

He featured in TSG highlights more than any other player. Small things like winning a ball in a ruck, the ball up the line that led to one of the goals. But if you take them away we lose.

The pick up in midfield surrounded by Tipp players for the 1st goal was class, then had the strength to make space and get the handpass away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Johnny chose his career over GAA and more power to him, I think you'll start to see more lads do the same once they're out of college - the juice isn't worth the squeeze when you're expected to train like a professional and be compensated like an amateur.
    grbear wrote: »

Poor by Joe's standards is MotM for a lot of lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare

spurshero wrote: »
    He was excellent in second half it’s just he is held to the very highest standards all the time with the bar he has set for himself over the years .

It was touched on earlier in this thread, but there was a clip on TSG near the end of the match when he hit the ball across to Flynn for his point, he was being chased by 4 if not 5 of the Tipp team and he got his pass away. An absolute quality player and we are lucky to have him.

Advertisement