Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Something's that didn't work tactically.

J Cooney on Hegarty. Hegarty is probably the fittest hurler in the country, there was no way J Cooney would have the legs to go with him. Would like to have seen Daithi out there with Fintan an option for Gullane. Daithi is similar to Kyle Hayes going forward from the half back line, puts the forward on the back foot.

Gearoid on Cian Lynch. Total mismatch. Gearoid more suited to Morrissey. Morrissey and Hegarty did untold damage. Limerick half forward line scored 10 from play.

Sweeper played too deep. Played with 4 full backs. Sweeper should have pushed on towards midfield where we were in bother.

Puck out strategy needs alot of work. Limerick system is simple but effective.

Putting long high balls down on David Burke is not a good idea. He's a midfielder, best at coming onto the breaks.

Lots to work on but we have the raw materials. Speedy recovery to Joe please God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Was there for the winning for ye if Whelan was thrown in to the full forward line and ye got yere goalie to cop on with the puck outs, just wondering do any of ye think O'Neill is too calm on the line, doesn't seem to do much to gee up the players, i would like my manger to be a bit more animated.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Eventhough Limerick were the better team on the day, Galway could have very well sneaked it. At the end of the day we were level with 4/5 mins to go. I thought we deserved free for a push off a limerick puck out which resulted in a point for limerick to put them 1 ahead. Then two calamitas turnovers from short puck outs resulted in two other scores for Limerick. Game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

15 v 15 would have been a massacre I think.

Agree with this, man for man they'd have murdered us - just younger/faster/fitter men across the pitch.

Definitely something of a changing of the guard required from 2017; I think GMac, Coen, David Burke, Conor Cooney and the standard Flynn substitution need to be moved on from.

As much as it pains me to say it, JC doesn't have the legs for the current iteration of intercounty which is built around lads like Kyle Hayes. I think we probably need to plant him on the square (where he started out!) and let him do what he can from there, he's still got the stick work and intelligence to do untold if we can get 5 mobile forwards around him.

Keeper is a bit of an issue, but at least Murphy can save the odd shot -I still have nightmares of James Skehill letting the first goal trickle by him in 2018.

Still cause to be optimistic though, Concannon, Whelan, Daithi Burke and the Mannion's are young enough to be the foundation to that team for another 3 or 4 years (even longer), Niland had a nice cameo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

A bit of a joke with the ladies game. Not even on tg4 now. Galway struggling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

macslash wrote: »
    A bit of a joke with the ladies game. Not even on tg4 now. Galway struggling

Whys that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭spurshero

Game was supposed to be on in parnelll park but pitch was frozen and moved to Croke park . Think tg 4 were set up for Parnell park so that’s why it’s not on . Galway 7 down at half time so not good all round !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Whys that?

Their cameras are in Parnell Park.

Galway players had a very short warm up. They could of delayed throw in until 13.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

statesaver wrote: »
    Their cameras are in Parnell Park.

Seems strange they couldnt set up quickly in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I'm assuming RTE and Sky have their equipment setup in Croke Park already so no space for TG4s crew.

Seems bizarre they can't get some sort of feed from RTE though.

Shambles all round.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Seems strange they couldnt set up quickly in Croke Park.

RTE cameras are setting up there for the Mayo v Tipp semi. Maybe they could of used RTE camera ,I dunno. You'd think in this day and age they could of found someway of showing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

A disgraceful way to treat a sport where big ground has been made in recent years. All those ads about "If she can't see, she can't be" and look at the how Galway's pre-match prep was handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

A disgraceful way to treat a sport where big ground has been made in recent years. All those ads about "If she can't see, she can't be" and look at the how Galway's pre-match prep was handled.

I agree it was disgraceful that the match wasn't televised and moved at such short notice, but, was it not the same for Cork, weren't their preparations affected in the same way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Girly Gal wrote: »
    I agree it was disgraceful that the match was televised and moved at such short notice, but, was it not the same for Cork, weren't their preparations affected in the same way?

My understanding is that they were affected but had significantly more warm-up time. The blistering start for Cork shows that. That's not to say Galway would've won/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

If they could switch it to Croke Park last minute there is no reason it shouldn't have been played there in the first place. Parnell Park is no ground to play an AISF in at this stage of the year in any case.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Girly Gal wrote: »
    I agree it was disgraceful that the match wasn't televised and moved at such short notice, but, was it not the same for Cork, weren't their preparations affected in the same way?

Cork actually stayed in Dublin last night near Dublin airport. For a lot of the players it is nearly two hours into Cork city, then another three on the motorway to get to Dublin so they made the decision to stay over
    My understanding is that they were affected but had significantly more warm-up time. The blistering start for Cork shows that. That's not to say Galway would've won/

Yes, but not as much as Galway - seven minutes to warm up was not enough at all

https://t.co/D7Gqb9P96s?amp=1

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

statesaver wrote: »
    RTE cameras are setting up there for the Mayo v Tipp semi. Maybe they could of used RTE camera ,I dunno. You'd think in this day and age they could of found someway of showing the game.

One of the former Cork players who was on commentary for Cork radio live streamed it to Instagram - saw a tweet in the first half where it said live streaming wasn't allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

threeball wrote: »
    If they could switch it to Croke Park last minute there is no reason it shouldn't have been played there in the first place. Parnell Park is no ground to play an AISF in at this stage of the year in any case.

Agreed. And then you have plenty on boards saying that the men's finals should be held in Navan and elsewhere.
    Not really suitable, is it!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Time for the LGFA to go and for the women’s game to come into the GAA proper. The LGFA is a Mickey Mouse operation and they’re holding the game back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Agreed. And then you have plenty on boards saying that the men's finals should be held in Navan and elsewhere.
    Not really suitable, is it!?

Parnell is a particularly bad winter pitch. I was at a club hurling match in January there two years ago and there was more mud than grass. Puddles along by the stand. It should never be considered for any winter games, club or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Always easy from the sidelines (or in front of the TV as is the case now) but Galway should of refused to play the tie today. Hindsight is wonderful but I think if Timmy Rabbitt and his team had the decision again this is exactly what they would of done. Training all year (and a strange year like 2020) to be treated like this is unacceptable. I'm sure noise will be made but it'll make no odds and it'll be forgotten about soon enough. It's just not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mjp

Does it seem that galway were cutting it fine even if match was to be played in parnell half hour later. They were told of venue change at 10:53 lgfa say and saying they were in kinnegad at that stage. Kinnegad to croker and Parnell park is same journey time which 47 mins according to Google maps without traffic. Others may clarify that they might have been delayed due to fog but with the warning of heavy fog yesterday morning they probably should have planned for this forecast and given themselves more time. Under normal traffic circumstances they should have been in croker for quarter to 12 but that's obviously not the case. How they were treated in croke park is disgraceful but LGFA have that to answer to that they didn't demand crime park officials to give them an additional 20 mins for throw in. Sooner the LGFA is disbanded the better and they come under Gaa umbrella but I feel that the Gas mightnt want to take them on as it's a loose loose situation for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

mjp wrote: »
    Does it seem that galway were cutting it fine even if match was to be played in parnell half hour later. They were told of venue change at 10:53 lgfa say and saying they were in kinnegad at that stage. Kinnegad to croker and Parnell park is same journey time which 47 mins according to Google maps without traffic. Others may clarify that they might have been delayed due to fog but with the warning of heavy fog yesterday morning they probably should have planned for this forecast and given themselves more time. Under normal traffic circumstances they should have been in croker for quarter to 12 but that's obviously not the case. How they were treated in croke park is disgraceful but LGFA have that to answer to that they didn't demand crime park officials to give them an additional 20 mins for throw in. Sooner the LGFA is disbanded the better and they come under Gaa umbrella but I feel that the Gas mightnt want to take them on as it's a loose loose situation for them.

Looks like the Galway travel schedule didn't give much or any room for any hiccups. Better to be way early than rushing. As it was every player was travelling in a single car. Seems they made no allowance with the schedule for travel delays or an accident. The M4 and M50 constantly have crashes on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

threeball wrote: »
    Parnell is a particularly bad winter pitch. I was at a club hurling match in January there two years ago and there was more mud than grass. Puddles along by the stand. It should never be considered for any winter games, club or otherwise.

I had tuned in to watch as thought it would be close game on past form and wondering who Dublin would be playing in final.

Couldn'nt figure out why TG4 were showing the Galway/Mayo game from last year. then saw on Twitter that match was obviously on somewhere!

Re: Parnell, as above our club was due to play junior hurling final there a few years back and it was a swamp. How the name of God they couldn't have decided this on Friday after the weather during the week is beyond me.

Commiserations. Galway right to be pis5ed off whether it made a difference or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Why didn't they use Thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

sasta le wrote: »
    Why didn't they use Thurles

Agree.

Huge disrespect shown re the change of venue in the 1st place, Limerick hurlers training, what kind of message does that send out.

Why Parnell park, crazy that some other ground like Ennis or Thurles not chosen.

GS11 wrote: »
    Agree.

Huge disrespect shown re the change of venue in the 1st place, Limerick hurlers training, what kind of message does that send out.

Why Parnell park, crazy that some other ground like Ennis or Thurles not chosen.

I read somewhere that the LGFA made the arrangement for Limerick with the full understanding that if Li Eric made the hurling final that the LGFA would have to go elsewhere. Gonna guess that the LGFA thought that Limerick wouldn't actually ask them to go elsewhere and were caught rotten when asked to do just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mjp

Looks like the Galway travel schedule didn't give much or any room for any hiccups. Better to be way early than rushing. As it was every player was travelling in a single car. Seems they made no allowance with the schedule for travel delays or an accident. The M4 and M50 constantly have crashes on them.

From hearing Timmy rabbits on off the ball this morning it seems to be a fine balance now asto being early for match and not being there two hours early as you only get 15 mins in the dressing room pre match due to close contact and covid restrictions. Previously they would have gone up two hours earlier watched a bit of match beforehand if there was one on and floated around the stadium to get a stretch of the legs and feel for it. That is all gone now with covid protocols.

Rabbits says that they told lgfa that they wouldn't make it there for 1 clock initially as they wouldn't have enough time to do warm up. They were then given reassurances that they would be given enough time to warm up for game so the galway camp were then happy on the basis of this. However the devil is in the detail and it doesn't seem like Timmy rabbite and the LGFA's officials view of enough time for a warm up are the same. Timmy knowing the past history and mess ups with lgfa shouldn't have left it upto assumption that they would be given enough time. Member of galway management team should have gone to officials soon as arrived into croker and went through timelines asto when arrive on pitch warm ups etc and kick off. This would have made all parties a lot clearer when they arrived into croker rather than when on pitch trying to do warm up which unsettled the players.

mjp wrote: »
    From hearing Timmy rabbits on off the ball this morning it seems to be a fine balance now asto being early for match and not being there two hours early as you only get 15 mins in the dressing room pre match due to close contact and covid restrictions. Previously they would have gone up two hours earlier watched a bit of match beforehand if there was one on and floated around the stadium to get a stretch of the legs and feel for it. That is all gone now with covid protocols.

Rubbish. Mayo were at Croker 2hrs before the throw in for their game. Look what the LGFA did was amateur but Galway really need to realise that only arriving at the stadium at 12:30 was their decision. Zero wriggleroom for the unexpected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Rubbish. Mayo were at Croker 2hrs before the throw in for their game. Look what the LGFA did was amateur but Galway really need to realise that only arriving at the stadium at 12:30 was their decision. Zero wriggleroom for the unexpected.

Bully for Mayo. I'd imagine Croke Park has rather more facilities for players than Parnell Park. In Parnell Park, once the 15 mins in the dressing room was up, you'd be leaving players outside in sub zero temperatures standing around or retreating back to sit in their cars.

The team had a meeting in Kinnegad before 11 and was due to arrive in PP at approx 12 it sounded form the interview. The game was due to be 1.30 remember. Absolutely fine in those circumstances to leave 1hr to 1hr 30 at the stadium. A half hour more than Mayo in Croker. Id imagine there was lost time also due to the change in venue so suddenly

Tim Rabbitte has been a fitness professional for a long time and would have timed and prepared everything to aim for max performance. Which is probably why he's so vexed atm

Advertisement