Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I was 100% convinced an equalising point was coming in the last couple of minutes. A lot closer than it should have been but got the win thankfully, lot of talent in that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭KIB4Life

Well done to ye in Galway on that victory. The under 20 teams have had a tough year, particularly when the final was disgracefully delayed for about 2 months, but anyway great victory for ye, particularly after a lot of these players had lost the last 2 U17 finals. So the future should be bright for Galway football.

threeball wrote: »
    Don't know how you make out the man to man wasn't working. We were quite clearly on top throughout 50 mins and the man to msn served us well. Dublin should have lost that by 10 so their zonal marking was clearly doing fcuk all.

We just always seem to find a way to throw away dominance in both codes. Hernon was a big loss in midfield. If we can cut out our habit of carrying into contact there'll be some good additions there. Our corner backs were outstanding.

Because when you man mark the opposition dictates where the space is.

Theres a reason the team going for 6 in a row zonal mark.
    It's because you're making the goalie have to hit the ball between the lines and between defenders which is risky and it forces longer kicks by nature.

The fact Dublin were able to win their last 5 or so and most of ours had a big impact on their come back.

Possessions are worth at least 1 shot at goal for every two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

crusier wrote: »
    Im a galway man and it was a free all day long. Mistake was he got up. Well done Galway. We need to bring a few of these guys through.

I thought it should have been a free out and a yellow card under Rule 5.4 To attempt to gain an advantage by feigning a foul or injury.

He clearly exaggerated contact to try and deceive the referee in my opinion. I'm not saying there wasn't contact (because there was) but by throwing himself to the ground he was feigning a foul in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

Because when you man mark the opposition dictates where the space is.

Theres a reason the team going for 6 in a row zonal mark.
    It's because you're making the goalie have to hit the ball between the lines and between defenders which is risky and it forces longer kicks by nature.

The fact Dublin were able to win their last 5 or so and most of ours had a big impact on their come back.

Possessions are worth at least 1 shot at goal for every two.

And when you go zonal the man is always free and you're working to funnel the attacker into a dead end but the scoring averages over the last decade show that its not all its cracked up to be. Galways man to man was better than Dublins zonal today by quite a distance. Only for Galway being wasteful up front they'd have been out of site.

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »
    And when you go zonal the man is always free and you're working to funnel the attacker into a dead end but the scoring averages over the last decade show that its not all its cracked up to be. Galways man to man was better than Dublins zonal today by quite a distance. Only for Galway being wasteful up front they'd have been out of site.

Hang on here. I'm only talking about setting up for the kickouts.

Dublin zonal marked in our 45, as their seniors do and we kicked most of our last down the guts and lost them.
    We man marked on theirs, as our seniors are doing and they won their last 5.

I wasnt talking about open play at all above.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Little doubt that the better team even if the finale was a bit more dramatic than you'd like to see from a Galway perspective.

Great achievement by the team and management, can't have been easing dealing with the stop start nature of this year's championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,156 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well done Galway. Deserved that.

Hang on here. I'm only talked about setting up for the kickouts.

Dublin zonal marked in our 45, as their seniors do and we kicked most of our last down the guts and lost them.
    We man marked on theirs, as our seniors are doing and they won their last 5.

I wasnt talking about open play at all above.

Fair enough. I thought you meant in general. I'm still not a big fan of zonal on kickouts as it generally means the forwards are trying to cover 6 with 5 as one has dropped back to cover the half back line. When that happens the possession by the team kicking out is almost assured and it allows a free runner off the shoulder to break out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Great win, always great to beat the Dubs we really made it harder on ourselves than it needed to be in the finish, probably just nervous getting over the finish line, also the injuries didn't help. Hopefully a few can come in and give the seniors a boost in the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Amazing win without Sweeney and McLaughlin. Most players underage again next year. Defense was incredible. The ability to win the ball in the air is a great trait going forward. The two corner backs deserve amazing credit but have to give motm to Paul Kelly who is the image of his brother in every way. A lot to look forward to there

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭briandebum

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Amazing win without Sweeney and McLaughlin. Most players underage again next year. Defense was incredible. The ability to win the ball in the air is a great trait going forward. The two corner backs deserve amazing credit but have to give motm to Paul Kelly who is the image of his brother in every way. A lot to look forward to there

Yeah the exciting thing is that the backs were better than the forwards, which is something I've rarely thought about Galway teams in the past.

briandebum wrote: »
    Yeah the exciting thing is that the backs were better than the forwards, which is something I've rarely thought about Galway teams in the past.

The u20 hurlers were similar I thought.. Backs more impressive than the forwards which suits us as we need a few good backs coming through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

briandebum wrote:

I've a feeling PJ will move quick with this bunch. I think by the Mayo game Paul Kelly started, Cathal Sweeney was part of the panel and only for injury Matthew Tierney would of been thereabouts. Glynn, McGrath, Flaherty should be part of it next year. Some of the other promising lads are a bit young with another year or two left in U20s like McLaughlin and Culhane. One who has impressed me all year that comes under the radar is Raftery in midfield. Coughed up a few turnovers yesterday but in general is a strong runner with the ball off left and right and puts himself about well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Deathknell

Jack Glynn had a great game. One for the Senior Panel - hope he pushes for a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Out of interest, who from the footballers is not u20 next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

macslash wrote: »
    Out of interest, who from the footballers is not u20 next year?

Tierney, Glynn, Fitzgerald, Patrick Kelly and Cian Monaghan. And Kirrane who came off the bench for Sweeney.

Tierney, Glynn, Fitzgerald, Patrick Kelly and Cian Monaghan. And Kirrane who came off the bench for Sweeney.

Some amount back for next year so. Great to see. Hopefully more younger lads pushing them on then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

macslash wrote:
    Some amount back for next year so. Great to see. Hopefully more younger lads pushing them on then too.

Quite a few have two years left at U20.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

I thought Kirrane was excellent when he came on for sweeney. He had big boots to fill and did it admirably!!!

• Advertisement

What'll happen with the minor semi-final?

Looks unlikely until Feb/ Mar

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Deathknell wrote: »

Could be the same for the u-20 Leinster final against Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Deathknell wrote: »

Not affected I read elite sport which juvenile all Irelands seemingly are can go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Would just like to wish James skehill well on his retirement from inter county hurling.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Not affected I read elite sport which juvenile all Irelands seemingly are can go ahead.

Obviously, this is incorrect. At Level 5 - No Senior Group Training. All Juvenile is off

Thought there'd be something in here with Gareth Bradshaw retiring today. Great servant to Galway football and wish him the best for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

macslash wrote: »
    Thought there'd be something in here with Gareth Bradshaw retiring today. Great servant to Galway football and wish him the best for the future.

Hadn't heard it until now. A good servant indeed, but probably the right time for him to go with new players breaking through. All the best to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Ian Burke, Adrian Varley and Fiontan o Curraoin pulling out also, strange. 🤔 Gary Sice has reretired which was to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

Ian Burke, Adrian Varley and Fiontan o Curraoin pulling out also, strange. 🤔 Gary Sice has reretired which was to be expected.

What's the Craic with Varley ??

• Advertisement

Surprised and a little dissapointed to hear that.. Thought they both had something to offer. Would hope that its not related to relationships with the coaching staff.

Advertisement