Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

The opposition was poor but thought the team looked very sharp. The passing was crisp and it was great to see the new blood putting their hand up.
    Conceding as much as we did against that opposition is a bit of a worry though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Hurling is higher-scoring nowadays, and the concession of 1-16 is scarcely too big a total to let in. The goal was preventable and the goalie will get a flea in his ear about being hooked in front of his net again I'd imagine.

MfMan wrote: »
    Hurling is higher-scoring nowadays, and the concession of 1-16 is scarcely too big a total to let in. The goal was preventable and the goalie will get a flea in his ear about being hooked in front of his net again I'd imagine.

1 16 is too much to concede against that westmeath team. If they can put up 1 16 Limerick or tipp would put up 2 26 and you won't win many games with that scoreline.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Some of the frees that westmeath got yesterday were harmless enough imo. Galway might have gotten one or two like that too. The goal conceded was farcical tbh. Murphy needs to settle down. He was prone to one or two episodes like that last year as well.

The forwards looked very sharp. Their interplay was very good, but all of this has to be taken with an extreme pinch of salt. Westmeath were dire - no other way to say it.

I just wonder where joe will play when he comes back? Tbh, I think his time at 11 might be near it's end. He's a bit slow now and it can give the opposition centre back more leeway than he should get. Maybe it's time for canning to go into 14?

RMAOK wrote: »
    Some of the frees that westmeath got yesterday were harmless enough imo. Galway might have gotten one or two like that too. The goal conceded was farcical tbh. Murphy needs to settle down. He was prone to one or two episodes like that last year as well.

The forwards looked very sharp. Their interplay was very good, but all of this has to be taken with an extreme pinch of salt. Westmeath were dire - no other way to say it.

I just wonder where joe will play when he comes back? Tbh, I think his time at 11 might be near it's end. He's a bit slow now and it can give the opposition centre back more leeway than he should get. Maybe it's time for canning to go into 14?

I think he should go to the inside line as long as he's not stuck under dropping ball on the edge of the square. Its too easy to hold him. He still has the burst to take on lads especially close to goal. So he needs to be coming onto the ball. For me he would only be FF in name only.
    If Niland is tipping over the frees its easier have him there as he doesn't need to come back down the field for that duty so easier play him in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭cosatron

threeball wrote: »
    I think he should go to the inside line as long as he's not stuck under dropping ball on the edge of the square. Its too easy to hold him. He still has the burst to take on lads especially close to goal. So he needs to be coming onto the ball. For me he would only be FF in name only.
    If Niland is tipping over the frees its easier have him there as he doesn't need to come back down the field for that duty so easier play him in there.

i think joe should start off at 15 and given license to roam between the full forward and half forward line and leave whelan and concannon inside with canning coming on to breaking ball and setting up plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway football panel for 2021 league. Looks like no Michael Daly along with the expected absences of Ian Burke and Adrian Varley. 5 of the All-Ireland winning U-20's called up I think.

Bernard Power
    Conor Gleeson
    Jack Glynn
    Sean Ó'Maolchiarain
    Liam Silke
    Gary O'Donnell
    Dylan McHugh
    Johnny Heaney
    Johnny Duane
    Cathal Sweeney
    Sean Kelly
    Kieran Molloy
    Ciaran Potter
    James Foley
    Sean Andy O'Ceallaigh
    Peter Cooke
    Paul Conroy
    Matthias Bairéad
    Ronan Steede
    Cein D'Arcy
    Matthew Tierney
    Paul Kelly
    Eamonn Brannigan
    Shane Walsh (C)
    Damien Comer
    Dessie Conneely
    Robert Finnerty
    Finnian O'Laoi
    Rory Cunningham
    Tomo Culhane
    Padraig Costello
    Liam Costello
    Darragh Silke
    Jack Keady
    John Daly
    Tom Flynn
    Conor Campbell
    Ronan O'Beolain

Feeder Squad

Oran Burke
    Cormac McWalter
    Cian Monaghan
    Evan Murphy
    Patrick Kelly
    Liam Boyle
    Sean Fitzgerald
    Colin Ryan
    Antaine O'Laoi
    Mike Farragher

Galway football panel for 2021 league. Looks like no Michael Daly along with the expected absences of Ian Burke and Adrian Varley. 5 of the All-Ireland winning U-20's called up I think.

Bernard Power
    Conor Gleeson
    Jack Glynn
    Sean Ó'Maolchiarain
    Liam Silke
    Gary O'Donnell
    Dylan McHugh
    Johnny Heaney
    Johnny Duane
    Cathal Sweeney
    Sean Kelly
    Kieran Molloy
    Ciaran Potter
    James Foley
    Sean Andy O'Ceallaigh
    Peter Cooke
    Paul Conroy
    Matthias Bairéad
    Ronan Steede
    Cein D'Arcy
    Matthew Tierney
    Paul Kelly
    Eamonn Brannigan
    Shane Walsh (C)
    Damien Comer
    Dessie Conneely
    Robert Finnerty
    Finnian O'Laoi
    Rory Cunningham
    Tomo Culhane
    Padraig Costello
    Liam Costello
    Darragh Silke
    Jack Keady
    John Daly
    Tom Flynn
    Conor Campbell
    Ronan O'Beolain

Feeder Squad

Oran Burke
    Cormac McWalter
    Cian Monaghan
    Evan Murphy
    Patrick Kelly
    Liam Boyle
    Sean Fitzgerald
    Colin Ryan
    Antaine O'Laoi
    Mike Farragher

We've a very good panel but I'm not holding out much hope for us this year. A bad day at the office against roscommon and we could be facing relegation as I dont see us beating either Kerry or Dublin. Management really need to up their game in virtually every area or its another year wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

If we finish 3rd of 4 we're in a relegation playoff regardless, so looks extremely likely as I imagine Kerry have been spitting fire since last November and will target the game as if they're beat, they're likely in a relegation playoff themselves.

A pity Daly, Burke and McDaid are gone although it doesn't make a huge difference to the first 15 as such but does hurt depth. Squad depth looks light in comparison to recent years, especially in the forwards. I'd imagine there was a few more that passed up the offer of coming in, especially when you see the names on the feeder panel.

Midfield looks strong tbf this year and for once I think our backs could be stable enough, questionable tactics notwithstanding (provided Daly is back ok for championship). Still missing a couple of forwards and a stable keeper anyway.

Pity every league game matters so much as would love to see Sweeney, Glynn, Tierney and Paul Kelly get gametime. Suspect we'll only see much of the last named

Pity the young keeper from Claregalway wasn't given a run. Perhaps he's chosen to concentrate on hurling as PJ has plenty of u20s in tbf. Looked very promising

I didn't even notice McDaid being missing. I presume that's from the injury he was getting a scan for a couple weeks ago. Did they say what came of that scan?

• Advertisement

10-12 weeks I read somewhere

Certainly a bit of talent unavailable now between Michael Daly, McDaid, Varley and Ian Burke. Especially up front. They really need one or two lads amongst the forwards to put their hand up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Certainly a bit of talent unavailable now between Michael Daly, McDaid, Varley and Ian Burke. Especially up front. They really need one or two lads amongst the forwards to put their hand up now.

Could do with the likes of Matthew Tierney and Tomo Culhane stepping up now. Dessie Conneely aswell, been class at club level but hasn't really nailed down a place at this level yet.

Of the 4 you've mentioned as unavailable, for me only McDaid is a big loss. Ian Burke's form went off a cliff the last couple of years, Daly for me is over-rated and Varley has never really been a regular starter (though I do think he is a good player and always a good option off the bench). Hopefully some of the new/younger players can come in and shake things up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Galways strongest 15/championship team?

Bernard Power
    Liam Silke, Sean Kelly, Mulkerrin;
    Kieran Molloy, John Daly, Johnny Heaney;
    Ronan Steede; Peter Cooke
    Paul Kelly, Paul Conroy, Tom Flynn;
    Dessie Conneely,Damien Comer Shane Walsh

Though the likes of Cathal Sweeney, Tomo Culhane, Matthew Tierney could be starters.

Galways strongest 15/championship team?

Bernard Power
    Liam Silke, Sean Kelly, Johnny Duane;
    Kieran Molloy, John Daly, Johnny Heaney;
    Ronan Steede; Peter Cooke
    Paul Kelly, Paul Conroy, Tom Flynn;
    Dessie Conneely,Damien Comer Shane Walsh

Though the likes of Cathal Sweeney, Tomo Culhane, Matthew Tierney could be starters.

We can't afford the luxury of a two man ff line with Shane Walsh coming deep. Neither Conneely or Comer score heavy enough for that to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

We can't afford the luxury of a two man ff line with Shane Walsh coming deep. Neither Conneely or Comer score heavy enough for that to work.
    Few if any teams in todays modern football plays a 3 in their full forward line. And I forgot about Mulkerrin, replace him with Johnny Duane in a possible starting 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Hulk Hands wrote:
    Pity the young keeper from Claregalway wasn't given a run. Perhaps he's chosen to concentrate on hurling as PJ has plenty of u20s in tbf. Looked very promising

Unless unavailable very suprised he's not involved. Inexperience is at top level is never a great thing but he seemed to have everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Stool_Pigeon

I assume by the lack of activity in here, and the forum in general, that most others aren't very enthusiastic about the GAA since Covid?

Personally I feel the diminished season and degrading of the league has unnecessarily ruined it.

There was justification for the season last year but there was no need a year later to be stripping everything back.

Anyway that aside the hurling team is out.

More of the same as last season. Its hard to see us bridging the gap to Limerick when its the same old faces.
    The upside is that what's there is still top 4 and if Limerick falter, genuine contenders.

The football isnt even worth caring about, PJ isnt the man to take down Dublin and he could end up leaving without a championship win as they could lose to Roscommon.

Dublins dominance has just ruined the football anyway but maybe with the younger players in the county theres potential to do something in 3/4 years... hard to see Dublin falling away before then anyway but who knows after the 28+ crowd start to drop off.

I'd say its a re-establishment of priorities as much as anything else, also IMO it was difficult to justify asking the country to stay within 5KM of home etc, while allowing IC GAA to continue on without supporters present.

The hurling team is going to contain many of the same faces for two reasons (1) the vast majority are the best players we have anyway and (2) the structure of the competition demands tweaks rather than wholesale changes

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PJ98

A fully fit Comer is capable of scoring heavily .

• Advertisement

PJ98 wrote: »
    A fully fit Comer is capable of scoring heavily .

Comer has been around about 6 or 7 yrs now and I cant remember him once scoring heavily. You're looking at 2 or 3pts per game and the odd goal.

Either thats a dummy team or Joyce is taking the pish. Our 2nd best player sitting on the bench and GOD as a wing back smh.

Either thats a dummy team or Joyce is taking the pish. Our 2nd best player sitting on the bench and GOD as a wing back smh.

Sean Kelly has a slight knock I believe.

Kelly has a knock. What would your team be?

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Kelly has a knock. What would your team be?

If he has a knock why is he listed at all. Did he not learn his lesson last year when he went against physio advice and played Comer against mayo which resulted in ending his season.
    Kieran Molloy would be in instead of GOD. Hes been a good servant to galway but if you're building for the future these guys need gametime against good opposition. Add to that you need pace at wing back. Its essential.

For the same reason Culhane should be given a start with walsh coming to either midfield or the half forward line. Our front line aren't prolific and we need to aim towards a system where we have 3 to 4 forward at all times. This team looks like one where we'll pull Walsh back and the HF line and repeat the same rubbish we saw after lockdown last year. KW mark 2.

If he has a knock why is he listed at all. Did he not learn his lesson last year when he went against physio advice and played Comer against mayo which resulted in ending his season.
    Kieran Molloy would be in instead of GOD. Hes been a good servant to galway but if you're building for the future these guys need gametime against good opposition. Add to that you need pace at wing back. Its essential.

For the same reason Culhane should be given a start with walsh coming to either midfield or the half forward line. Our front line aren't prolific and we need to aim towards a system where we have 3 to 4 forward at all times. This team looks like one where we'll pull Walsh back and the HF line and repeat the same rubbish we saw after lockdown last year. KW mark 2.

Christ. Culhane is not long 19. It was a surprise he was even in the squad. You think he should be in ahead of one of our half forwards? Which? On the one hand you complain about Walsh being dragged out but before that suggest playing him at midfield?

Comer played in half forward all the league last year. I'd say it's very likely he moves out and leaves the two lads inside. The majority of us have spoken about how open and over aggressive PJs system was. You alone think it's KW mark 2? How exactly was playing 6 on 6 at the back against Mayo post lockdown and getting torn asunder KW mk 2? That makes no sense.

Is there any chance the physios know more about Kelly's situation than you do?

I would also like to see Molloy playing but would've thought it was fairly obvious why someone very experienced would be chosen in front of a first timer at Corner back and beside one at Centre back. Not even mentioning a 22 yo at full back.

The negativity for negativities sake around this team is very annoying at times

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Xoshinho

I don't even know where to start with this but it's good to see Hulk Hands already had a good go.

Comer did his hamstring against Mayo in the league very early on but that didn't end his season. These injuries happen after a lack of game time. He played against Mayo in the Connacht final 5-6 weeks after. That wasn't the aggravation of an injury like you're suggesting might happen with Kelly. "went against all physio advice", where you speaking with the physios directly?!

Do you want Walsh in midfield or attack? Which is it? The team selected looks to me like PJ is going quite attacking and leave Walsh close to goals like he did in the league pre-covid. He's been on record saying he wants his best scorers like Walsh close to goals. Suggesting Culhane at his age should be starting is just mental, especially with the likes of Dessie, Rob Finnerty, Finian O'Laoi in the matchday panel who've proven themselves at senior club level at the very least. Culhane will be a top player but he's still U20 this year for godsake! He might still be 2-3 years away from playing serious minutes for Galway especially with all the attacking talent ahead of him.

I don't think anyone can have too many complaints about this team selection. I imagine Conroy will move back into 11 when Flynn returns and Kelly will come in for Glynn, or maybe even GOD if Glynn impresses but I wouldn't expect it right away. Tierney is a cracking player so I hope he puts a marker down but we've a lot of competition for places now. I agree that I'd like to see Molloy but I can see the logic of starting GOD. I was surprised to see McHugh come straight in especially with how well Duane looked last year at times but looking forward to seeing him. Always has looked good for Corofin.

Culhane is still eligible for the U-20's this year so he's still very young. To be honest I was surprised to even see him in the senior squad so soon. It really is a big jump from U-20 to senior. Even more so than when it used to be U-21.

5 U-20's in the squad. 3 of them starting the first league game so PJ is giving them a chance but it will take time for these lads. Not many make the jump up and look ready for it straight away. Only exceptional talents like Clifford maybe.

He's u20 again next year even isn't he? So he's actually insanely young, same age as Clifford was when he joined the Kerry panel and that was seen as very rare at the time. Probably our youngest player to be involved in a proper matchday squad since Michael Meehan? I stand to be corrected

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Christ. Culhane is not long 19. It was a surprise he was even in the squad. You think he should be in ahead of one of our half forwards? Which? On the one hand you complain about Walsh being dragged out but before that suggest playing him at midfield?

Comer played in half forward all the league last year. I'd say it's very likely he moves out and leaves the two lads inside. The majority of us have spoken about how open and over aggressive PJs system was. You alone think it's KW mark 2? How exactly was playing 6 on 6 at the back against Mayo post lockdown and getting torn asunder KW mk 2? That makes no sense.

Is there any chance the physios know more about Kelly's situation than you do?

I would also like to see Molloy playing but would've thought it was fairly obvious why someone very experienced would be chosen in front of a first timer at Corner back and beside one at Centre back. Not even mentioning a 22 yo at full back.

The negativity for negativities sake around this team is very annoying at times

You're talking nonsense now. The physios told joyce not to play Comer in The Mayo game, that he wasn't fit. He overruled them and it ended comers year.

I never said that we couldn't pull Walsh out, I said we can't afford only Comer and Dessie up front as neither are prolific. Walsh is going to come deep regardless so play Culhane inside and play walsh further out.

As for the systems you seem to have a short memory. It was all out attack before lockdown and pretty much the opposite after. We went very defensive and slow to counter attack. They are the facts and no amount of rose coloured revisionism will change that.

Its not negative, its realistic.

Advertisement