Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

RMAOK wrote: »
    Canning gone into full forward and cathal mannion and loftus gone to midfield has given the team a lot more balance imo.

Brian concannon is having a stormer since the water break

Thats the way forward. Hes wasted at midfield. He causes complete panic in a full back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

threeball wrote:
    Thats the way forward. Hes wasted at midfield. He causes complete panic in a full back line.

I was never a fan of him there simply because of the muck ball that went into him used to kill him. The way they play under O Neil with a lot better use of the ball he could do whatever he likes in a full forward position. Not many would be able to contain him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

threeball wrote: »

Definitely. And Frankly, he's pushing on. You can't expect him to be as lively as (say) cathal mannion or the likes. Put canning in at 14 and he created pandemonium in there.

Quality of stick passing and stick work under O Neill is exceptional. These lads are fizzing balls at each other with complete faith the lad will deal with the pace.

I was never a fan of him there simply because of the muck ball that went into him used to kill him. The way they play under O Neil with a lot better use of the ball he could do whatever he likes in a full forward position. Not many would be able to contain him.

Since we started playing more controlled hurling here we've been well on top. Theres probably 4 or t goals in Joe this year playing FF with this style. Takes the attention off whelan and concannon too. Whelan playing far better with Joe in close proximity

• Advertisement

What do we make of the Daithi/Mc switch? I was for it as I think Daithi adds a lot when we are on the ball. But a lot of problems occured today with defenders not doing their job correctly off the ball. Nice to see it being tried but hard to know after today is it a good idea or a risky move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Quality of stick passing and stick work under O Neill is exceptional. These lads are fizzing balls at each other with complete faith the lad will deal with the pace.

Trouble is, the recipient doesn't always deal with the pace, and then the move breaks down and possession overturned. Padraig Mannion very guilty of one bad one early in second half, when he played to a marked man in front of him instead of a loose mate to his right. Cost us a free.

What do we make of the Daithi/Mc switch? I was for it as I think Daithi adds a lot when we are on the ball. But a lot of problems occured today with defenders not doing their job correctly off the ball. Nice to see it being tried but hard to know after today is it a good idea or a risky move.

I like it against certain teams, Limerick being one as they don't offer the same goal threat. Wouldnt use it against Tipp and Waterford have a real goal threat with Bennett and Hutchinson at the moment too. Against Limerick, Wexford, Dublin and possibly Kilkenny id like to see him pushed out because I want to see him mark Hegarty if we meet Limerick.

MfMan wrote: »
    Trouble is, the recipient doesn't always deal with the pace, and then the move breaks down and possession overturned. Padraig Mannion very guilty of one bad one early in second half, when he played to a marked man in front of him instead of a loose mate to his right. Cost us a free.

Got us more than it lost us and is less risky than playing a long ball 50m+.

threeball wrote:
    Got us more than it lost us and is less risky than playing a long ball 50m+.

Long ball that bothers me. First ten minutes of the second half and the aimless ball shows what we need to stay away from.

• Advertisement

Long ball that bothers me. First ten minutes of the second half and the aimless ball shows what we need to stay away from.

Exactly, I said the same in my earlier post. It was playing into waterfords hands but when we tightened it up we were miles ahead of them. Ended up with a 15pt swing in our direction once we returned to that style of play

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭Robson99

Problem is we need Daithi at both 3 and 6. Would worry about McI getting exposed this year at either 6 or 3. Hopefully Morrisy or Fitzpatrick can make a 3 next year

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Is the Galway Gaa website down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Is the Galway Gaa website down?

Looks to be down alright. Just had a look.
    Would they be updating club fixtures?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

cocoman wrote: »
    Looks to be down alright. Just had a look.
    Would they be updating club fixtures?

There was full round of club League fixtures this weekend. Results can't be accessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Stool_Pigeon

It's a good idea and we should persist with it. I think it should have happened before now and i'm very pleased it has.

The fb line as a unit has not done as well as it could with Burke at 3, he is a super hurler but he tends to play in his own bubble 9which he tends to do really well, tbf) and leave his corner men to row their own boat at all times. There's also an element of disconnect with the goalkeeper that doesn't seem to happen so much with McInerney there.

There was obviously an element behind this change as it's not one that would be made for the sake of it so i expect they will stick with it. After a slow start both settled well in the second half and both will benefit from the move and more importantly the team will benefit also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Stool_Pigeon

Robson99 wrote: »
    Problem is we need Daithi at both 3 and 6. Would worry about McI getting exposed this year at either 6 or 3. Hopefully Morrisy or Fitzpatrick can make a 3 next year

McInerney hasn't been exposed as a 3 yet, granted the sample size isn't huge but Burke is hardly infallible either. Morrissey isn't a fullback. Fitzpatrick is, but he might have to wait a while longer.

McInerney gets a lot of people worrying about him being 'exposed' but how often has it happened when it really mattered? Or even when it didn't?

To me he is carrying the can for the failings or loss of form of others in recent seasons. An easy target due to his percieved lack of 'style' but he is a certainty to play and we will miss him if he is not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The best of luck to Joyce and the lads today

Awful start.
    Get done by the ref on an advantage when a goal was on, the free is scuffed and short and they go down and score a goal 10 second later.

18 points in a half.

Jesus you'd think we'd start to see the issues attended to.

Cork are the easiest team to play against in that you know they dont want to puck it to their HF line so you make sure that's all they can do, but time after time they have able to hit a free player and scored numerous times from that.

You also crowd out their FF line as they haven't great scorers out the field but we're letting them dictate the space and theres 1v1s every time they put the ball in.

Zero goal threat again which is just a constant theme and another mistake for a goal at the other end which is also a reoccurring theme as well.

• Advertisement

Awful start.
    Get done by the ref on an advantage when a goal was on, the free is scuffed and short and they go down and score a goal 10 second later.

Very naive first half of hurling. Shocking ball going into the forward line. Mcinerney is not a full back either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Very naive first half of hurling. Shocking ball going into the forward line. Mcinerney is not a full back either

Just cannot trust him in possession, liable to do anything.

Considering DB won an AI at FB, and GMAC at 6 with both doing good work, it's just completely perplexing to switch them around.

I could understand moving one if the other didnt exist and a placeholder was in the other position, but when you already had a man in each doing about as good as he did(remember the talk of the Galway spine a few years ago) it's just strange we've edged towards this(started with Mannion moving to 6 and 3) without their really being any reason to start it.

If DB had more hurling in him, I could kind of see it but his main traits are all done on the defensive side than possession side and Gmac used to do a good job or just popping a short pass of from 6 as it was.

Another one I'll add is Tuohy.

Why in Gods name is he playing as a forward again.

He's going to be close enough to the most inaccurate forward who's lined out there for more than a game in recent memory.

He played in the FB for a reason and even the move to MF in previous years didnt change that perception.

He warrants a place but not as a forward.

Another one I'll add is Tuohy.

Why in Gods name is he playing as a forward again.

He's going to be close enough to the most inaccurate forward who's lined out there for more than a game in recent memory.

He played in the FB for a reason and even the move to MF in previous years didnt change that perception.

He warrants a place but not as a forward.
    Add Sean Loftus to it as well. Cannot see him be started come championship

Tipping along nicely. Plenty of things tried in this league and with Tipp losing the Leinster Final could be a League/Leinster final. Options have increased in a number of positions and the use of the ball is up there with any team in the country.

Joseph Cooney caused plenty of problems in the full forward line. Whelan/Mannions/Concannon are some of the best in the country on current form.

Niland has laser like accuracy. Brennan/Morrissey have had solid campaigns.

I think it was Threeball that said the GMac/Dathi switch is worth continuing with but only against certain teams. Dathi is a fantastic hurler. Quick hands and skillful on the ball. Plus his catching can dominate a half back line.

Games seem very loose with high scores. Don't see that being a problem for Galway if they turn into shootouts.
    Delighted for Conor Cooney again. Hope he's turned the corner now for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Good win for the hurlers in the end.

Hoping the footballers can dig a win out against Monaghan.

Tipping along nicely. Plenty of things tried in this league and with Tipp losing the Leinster Final could be a League/Leinster final. Options have increased in a number of positions and the use of the ball is up there with any team in the country.

Joseph Cooney caused plenty of problems in the full forward line. Whelan/Mannions/Concannon are some of the best in the country on current form.

Niland has laser like accuracy. Brennan/Morrissey have had solid campaigns.

I think it was Threeball that said the GMac/Dathi switch is worth continuing with but only against certain teams. Dathi is a fantastic hurler. Quick hands and skillful on the ball. Plus his catching can dominate a half back line.

Games seem very loose with high scores. Don't see that being a problem for Galway if they turn into shootouts.
    Delighted for Conor Cooney again. Hope he's turned the corner now for good.

Yes and cork was one I thought he shouldn't be fullback against. They've racked up alot of goals already this year. Missed the game but impressive to turn that around so comprehensively for a 2nd week in a row.

Why was power dropped in the football and why are we playing brannigan ahead of heaney. Team looks very unbalanced and defensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Lets see how Gleeson gets on threeball

Advertisement