Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

Complete joke of a turnover to end the league.

We wont be winning any AI with this set up so a quick Connacht is the best way to just get past any notion of a 3rd year with PJ.

That Monaghan team are at a lower ebb than when they beat us in the Super 8s and that team couldn't get near an AI(fair play though as it's a tiny county so they over achieved even to that point).

No doubt he'll get a 3rd year based on nothing but his history as a player. You can tell there is no belief in that team that they're in with a shout of winning something. Theres no common purpose at all and no belief in what little system is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Looked like they had a 5 on their back anyway. Jaysus they did the hard part in getting the ball back and then they hand pass it straight back to them.

Thought it was 25 on the back. Fairly certain it wasn't Silke. No odds. Is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Thought it was 25 on the back. Fairly certain it wasn't Silke. No odds. Is what it is.

Yeah it might have been 25 alright.

A strange observation was that we seemed to implement some semblance of a kick out plan in ET.

Why you would wait until ET in the last league game to implement some semblance of movement, I dont know, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Worst thing about that loss is that Monaghan were putrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,476 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ridiculous to lose that game really. 5 points up on 77 minutes. Missed two great goal chances in the 2nd half. Heaney missed an open goal. Tierney’s shot off the crossbar.

Who was the Galway player who threw that terrible hand pass that gave Monaghan the winning point?

Doesn’t matter, they never should have had to go to extra time.

Didn’t play to the end.

Fatal mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

threeball wrote: »
    No doubt he'll get a 3rd year based on nothing but his history as a player. You can tell there is no belief in that team that they're in with a shout of winning something. Theres no common purpose at all and no belief in what little system is there.
    Was more belief in the Kevin Walsh system and its why Galway reached the Div 1 Semi final and All-Ireland semi final under him.

He'll get a 3rd year as Galway should beat Roscommon by a bit to spare in the next game and will likely be competitive against Mayo as they are leaking big scores.

Was more belief in the Kevin Walsh system and its why Galway reached the Div 1 Semi final and All-Ireland semi final under him.

He'll get a 3rd year as Galway should beat Roscommon by a bit to spare in the next game and will likely be competitive against Mayo as they are leaking big scores.

Unfortunately I think you are correct.

Need someone to light a match under these lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I think Rossies will be well able for this Galway side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Will be a close game as usual I would imagine. Neither looks too good after the league.
    Was told aswell PJ didn't do any media after the game either. Won't help things from a pressure point of view if true.

• Advertisement

testtech05 wrote: »
    Will be a close game as usual I would imagine. Neither looks too good after the league.
    Was told aswell PJ didn't do any media after the game either. Won't help things from a pressure point of view if true.

Regardless of how we do against roscommon I just can't see them beating Mayo. The drop will remove whatever little cohesion this group has. If we can regard getting relegated and a possible win against roscommon as reason to offer a contract extension then that says more about our ambition than anything. Today should be the nail in the coffin. Thats what you get for granting positions based on reputation as a player rather than actual record as a manager.

Rossies seem to be going backwards if anything. Think it'll be a tight game all the same. Hopefully we have Comer and Daly back but I'd have my doubts they will be. John Daly didn't play a minute of league football so presume he's just not ready yet.

Mayo aren't world beaters either to be honest although will be clear favourites being on the easy side of the draw. Clare gave them bags of it today.

Tierney was excellent.

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Tierney was excellent.

Yes, that was the big plus out of today.

Yes, that was the big plus out of today.

Would be putting him on more of the frees.

Would nearly be taking all responsibility off Walsh at this stage and free him up. Giving him captaincy was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I think it will be simliar to the meeting from a few weeks ago with Galway winning by at least 6 points.

Mayo v Galway will be a closer final than some expect, just a point between the sides last year and Galway had no championship prep matches coming into that final.

I think it will be simliar to the meeting from a few weeks ago with Galway winning by at least 6 points.

Mayo v Galway will be a closer final than some expect, just a point between the sides last year and Galway had no championship prep matches coming into that final.

Mayo are far ahead of Galway tactically and better set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Ah lads I just don't share the confidence. This current PJ setup reminds me of the Galway teams that lost to Westmeath, Antrim and Meath in qualifiers. A few youngsters trying to drag us over the line and then elder statesmen holding us back.

Rossies have eternally been missing one of the Murtaghs and other top players for the last 5 years against us. They've a more than decent record against us and Cunningham is a better manager than he's being credit for.

The biggest problem for Galway will be lack of kick out strategy.

Monaghan didn't really exploit it today. But they'll be in big bother against a better side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Mayo are far ahead of Galway tactically and better set up.

Weren't far ahead in the final score line last November and relegation happens even Mayo had to take that on the chin.

• Advertisement

Weren't far ahead in the final score line last November and relegation happens even Mayo had to take that on the chin.

That team was thrown together over the first lockdown. They went on to make the final and have had time to develop since. Different animal this year. Galway haven't progressed an ounce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

threeball wrote: »
    That team was thrown together over the first lockdown. They went on to make the final and have had time to develop since. Different animal this year. Galway haven't progressed an ounce

I think any Mayo team that contained experience campaigners in David Clarke, Chris Barrett, Lee Keegan, Kevin McLoughlin, Aidan O'Shea, the O'Connor brothers etc can hardly be called thrown together.

Remains to be seen where Mayo really are this summer. They got out of Div 2 as expected but Westmeath and Clare pushed them all the way.

Frozen Veg wrote:
    Would nearly be taking all responsibility off Walsh at this stage and free him up. Giving him captaincy was a mistake.

Everyone can be found wanting at times. By the ridiculously high standards we set Shane Walsh he had a nightmare yesterday. But he didn't go hiding which is a criticism I may have levelled at him under KW. I think he's played his best and most consistent football of his career since been made captain. His concentration on frees seems to have improved greatly too. Think he only missed a 50 yesterday which you would expect him to score.

Rossies seem to be going backwards if anything. Think it'll be a tight game all the same. Hopefully we have Comer and Daly back but I'd have my doubts they will be. John Daly didn't play a minute of league football so presume he's just not ready yet.

John Daly is back in full training and I would imagine depending on fitness/match practice he'll be good for three weeks. Comer at least can train in regards of fitness so unlike Mayo last year his legs won't be spent after 5minutes. Hand being ready for Roscommon is another story.

Everyone can be found wanting at times. By the ridiculously high standards we set Shane Walsh he had a nightmare yesterday. But he didn't go hiding which is a criticism I may have levelled at him under KW. I think he's played his best and most consistent football of his career since been made captain. His concentration on frees seems to have improved greatly too. Think he only missed a 50 yesterday which you would expect him to score.

Agree. He wasn't great yesterday but he was or was close to our best player in almost every game the last two years. Yesterday some of the silly stuff returned like dropping shots short or going for options that weren't on. But he wasn't alone.
    Apart from Matthew Tierney and Molloy we were pretty crap. Kerry converted 6 goals against tyrone that were lesser chances than we had but we butchered pretty much all of ours yesterday. Monaghan were atrocious and we left them in the game and paid the price.

Major problems on the line again. Joyce refuses to give Cullhane any game time and the few mins he throws him in we're defending a 4pt lead in a relegation match. The guy who is a corner forward ends up playing the next 24mins in his half or full back line. If it junior C you'd laugh at the decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

Galway footballers find yet another way to snatch defeat from the joys of victory. I just think we have become so soft, all we had to do was not concede a goal and it would have been OK in the last few minutes and we have the worst defending going. Would any big team like Dublin, Kerry or Mayo concede such a goal at a late stage in the game. In the Connacht Final last year, the Mayo player took the black card to defend the goal and win his team the game. If it was the other way, we'd let them waltz through and score. Missing leadership on and off the field. Going to be a short summer for us I think.

Have to agree there.

A lot of bluff and bluster……little substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Conroy's needless black card and that loose hand pass that led directly to the goal to tie it up were the culprits. Regardless of missing chances, you need to be able to do the cute stuff at that stage of a game, missing a man 5 yards away with a hand pass is not it.

For the hurling, just watched League Sunday there and I missed it at the time but Cooney looked to have deliberately hit the ball into the ground for his goal to fool the keeper. I thought it got deflected at the time. Nice to see him coming back into a little bit of form, hasn't been at it for nearly 3 years.

O'Neill has used the league relatively well I think, we do seem to have some options now all around the pitch. Eanna Murphy will continue to give me nightmares over the Championship though I suspect, such a ****e pass to McInerney (who still should be controlling it).

The lad that gave away the pass was a lad just out of minor playing in a do or die relegation battle. I think he could be afforded some nerves that led to a stray pass. Conroy probably thought he was being "cute" with his antics on the sideline but instead ended up the opposite outcome. I think the result needs to be taken in its entirety with a full picture. We had our scoring forwards in the scoring zone kicking wides. We had players taking one pass too many or one pass less than was needed ending up missing multiple goal chances. They had two scoring forwards and we only paid attention to one. You could go on. Not much went right. Some of it bad luck some of it poor decision making. And just like that with unfair groupings and unfair home advantage division two beckons.

• Advertisement

Lost track of the time so missed most of the hurling so wont comment on it.

But I will say, give it 10 more years and there wont be any point watching the hurling either.

The hurling will go the same way as the football, they just started off a lower base so it was always going to take a bit longer to come through.

I'll be done with GAA when that happens until the day they split the monster they've now created.

Advertisement