Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,476 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lost track of the time so missed most of the hurling so wont comment on it.

But I will say, give it 10 more years and there wont be any point watching the hurling either.

The hurling will go the same way as the football, they just started off a lower base so it was always going to take a bit longer to come through.

I'll be done with GAA when that happens until the day they split the monster they've now created.

Be nice to know why “ there won’t be any point in watching hurling either” as you see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Be nice to know why “ there won’t be any point in watching hurling either†as you see it?

You not see the state of the pitch? Wouldn't put a dog out in that. If that's how little they care about the Superstars of the U20 scene then as Gilberto said it's time to pack it in.

Be nice to know why “ there won’t be any point in watching hurling either” as you see it?

I meant Dublin will be winning multiple AIs in a row.

I think hurling people have been ignorant to thinking the hurling wont go the same way as the football but they were never going to dominate as quickly in hurling.

I meant there wont be any point watching GAA if both codes end up seeing who comes second to Dublin.

I think hurling people have been ignorant to thinking the hurling wont go the same way as the football but they were never going to dominate as quickly in hurling.

I meant there wont be any point watching GAA if both codes end up seeing who comes second to Dublin.

Thanks for that , I agree about football, however I don’t think the same thing will happen in hurling.

I would be much more concerned on the hurling front on the propensity of so many games now with teams scoring 25 to 30 points.

Nobody wants to watch a free taking competitions and frees are now scorable from well inside your own 45.

In hurling I now see the tactic of the ball holder rushing at the defender and then falling down…then getting the free.

Both games are on shaky ground in my opinion and have not improved as a spectacle with the recent changes.

Let’s hope that the powers that run the codes can see that.

You not see the state of the pitch? Wouldn't put a dog out in that. If that's how little they care about the Superstars of the U20 scene then as Gilberto said it's time to pack it in.

No didn’t see it, but if it’s was as bad as you say, it certainly is a disgrace.

I thought those days were over to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

:D:D were you on the sauce last night or what??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭cosatron

what has the management team being at for the last 6 months, allot them were unfit, no first touch, no game plan and the majority of players played out of position and to cap it all off, some of the switches he made were shocking. Like how he didn't move tj brennan out centre back after the goal was beyond belief.

As a neutral last night i would agree the management team got the calls wrong.
    You would imagine Galway would be very strong this year and next year u20 with the minor teams of 18 and 19.
    Is the same management in place for 2021 ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

cosatron wrote: »
    what has the management team being at for the last 6 months, allot them were unfit, no first touch, no game plan and the majority of players played out of position and to cap it all off, some of the switches he made were shocking. Like how he didn't move tj brennan out centre back after the goal was beyond belief.

Brennan was fine where he was, but the CB was well beaten for pace; baffling how mgmt couldn't see it to make a change. Corner backs weren't hectic either. The injured Connaire was badly missed.

MfMan wrote: »
    Brennan was fine where he was, but the CB was well beaten for pace; baffling how mgmt couldn't see it to make a change. Corner backs weren't hectic either. The injured Connaire was badly missed.

brennan was great at full back but we needed him more out at 6 or midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

That might have been the case had they kicked on from 2013 but they've gone backwards to the point where I wouldn't be surprised to see Antrim do a number on them in the Leinster Championship.

cson wrote: »
    That might have been the case had they kicked on from 2013 but they've gone backwards to the point where I wouldn't be surprised to see Antrim do a number on them in the Leinster Championship.

You're taking a very short term view of it.

They beat us in the AI not too long ago.

They're not a million miles off, the money will start to gain traction further, as it did getting them to this point.

They were on par with Laois and W.Meath 15 years ago, now they're as good as anyone else at underage.

A handful of players into senior and things will rapidly change.

I hope I'm wrong but I called the footballers domination years ago, very few agreed with me at the time, when I said they would keep winning and needed to be split.
    More and more have been coming around to that idea since.
    I honestly see the same thing happening in the hurling now, as they put similar investment into both.

The footballers were always competitive so it was going to move at a faster pace.

They're not a million miles off, the money will start to gain traction further, as it did getting them to this point.

They were on par with Laois and W.Meath 15 years ago, now they're as good as anyone else at underage.

I hope I'm wrong but I called the footballers domination years ago, very few agreed with me at the time, when I said they would keep winning and needed to be split.
    I honestly see the same thing happening in the hurling now, as they put similar investment into both.

The footballers were always competitive so it was going to move at a faster pace.

The football has always been 'traditional' with Dublin though, not so hurling. Cork, KK would 'turn in their graves' at the thought of being usurped by Dublin as a new power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

The football has always been 'traditional' with Dublin though, not so hurling. Cork, KK would 'turn in their graves' at the thought of being usurped by Dublin as a new power.

Number of hurling teams registered in 2009

Dublin 637

Galway 489

Kilkenny 415

Tipperary 650

Cork 1105

Number of hurling teams registered in 2020

Dublin 1141

Galway 597

Kilkenny 458

Tipperary 757

Cork 1313

Change in the number of hurling teams registered between 2009 - 2020

Dublin 504

Galway 108

Kilkenny 43

Tipperary 107

Cork 208

Out of the increase of 504 in Dublin, 485 of those newly registered teams were at underage - it's only a matter of time before this increase at underage feeds through at senior level.

The Leinster title Dublin won during the week was their 5th U21/U20 in 14 years.
    Dublin had won 2 Leinster U21s in the previous 43 years of the competition.
    From a situation where they were winning once every 20 years at this level to once every 3 years.
    It might not get to the catastrophic levels of the football but I can't see how Dublin don't start winning All-Irelands before too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭Rosita

Cork? A county without a national title in 15 years worried about being usurped by Dublin as a "power"? I'd say they have smaller fish to fry. An occasional All Ireland semi final appearance does not make Cork a "power".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

I think you're reading too much into a bad result from a bad performance. If they go on to win the all ireland then maybe its an indication but I dont see that happening. Dublin CB don't give a sh!t about hurling. All the money goes to football. Id say the minor footbsllers are better looked after than the senior hurlers. They're always on the hind tit. Its one of the reasons they need Friends if Dublin hurling to help fund them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

cson wrote: »

Well that was a bad take.

They'll give us a good test next weekend, albeit Antrim were very sloppy in parts - you could see that first goal happen as soon as the two defenders started rooting for the ball.

Rosita wrote: »
    Cork? A county without a national title in 15 years worried about being usurped by Dublin as a "power"? I'd say they have smaller fish to fry. An occasional All Ireland semi final appearance does not make Cork a "power".

30 AI's as opposed to 6 doesn't make Dublin a potential threat to Cork anytime soon, and Dublin aren't laden down with any kind of national titles in their (recent) history either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Stool_Pigeon

What was more baffling/infuriating was that the problems with the lineup were apparent from an early stage but little or no attempt was made to rectify these.

Neary is the best 6 in that panel and it remains baffling to see him have a negligible impact playing totally out of position in attack. Ditto Kilcommons. His best asset is his ability to carry the ball at pace; useful at 10 to create overlaps etc, but no advantage at all at 5. We were also playing with Conor Walsh deep to minimal effect as the centre of defence was repeatedly opened up. Flaherty was struggling to cope from early on and this was apparent to all but our sideline.

I'm all in favour of switching players around if it benefits them or especially the team, but these changes just seemed to be an attempt to show how clever he is, and it backfired badly.

This is the second year in a row where we have gone out off the back of an underwhelming performance. The common denominator is the manager.

Sure Connaire was missed but i think we would have found a way to lose that game if we had two Connaires playing. One at corner back and the other at corner forward, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mjp

Any word on when draws for the football club championship is being done?

• Advertisement

Game moved to Croke Park can only be an advantage for Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

Game moved to Croke Park can only be an advantage for Galway.

Hopefully we dont come out of it til August.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ronan Steede has left the football panel. Was in great form pre Covid in the league but between injuries and whatever else has barely featured since.

Ronan Steede has left the football panel. Was in great form pre Covid in the league but between injuries and whatever else has barely featured since.

I just don't know what happened the whole football set up, players leaving, rumours of players unrest because pre covid i thought we were excellent and playing some really good football and post covid its been a sh*tshow.

Anyone get a ticket for Saturday?

Anyone get a ticket for Saturday?

Not yet and no word from club as to their allocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mjp

Heard mentioned there on radio that all hurling clubs due to get 20 each. Not sure if that's senior clubs and smaller allocations depending on club level. They mentioned that foot all clubs were being given option of buying 2 tickets for the football against Roscommon Sunday with rest of allocation being divided up between players and their families

MfMan wrote:
    Not yet and no word from club as to their allocation.

Ya it's only 20. I got one for the upper Hogan. Just wondering how all 20 tickets for our club were upper or is it the same for a lot of Galway clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

• Advertisement

Vey ho-hum. A mixture of the old, the new and the middling. As well as could be expected I guess. Don't know how Comer could be anywhere near match fit. PJ must be desperate for a good start.

Advertisement