Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Id imagine there will be a few changes to that team with likes of Sean Kelly coming in? I think Sean Andy had been named to start a couple of games now but not been there for throw in.

On Steede he will be a loss too, its hard to see where we are going at the minute but hopefully can still get a win on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

testtech05 wrote: »
    Id imagine there will be a few changes to that team with likes of Sean Kelly coming in? I think Sean Andy had been named to start a couple of games now but not been there for throw in.

On Steede he will be a loss too, its hard to see where we are going at the minute but hopefully can still get a win on Sunday.

Sean Kelly is named at no 2. Steede is a loss, he’s really mobile and great going forward, one of the best kick passers in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Sean Kelly is named at no 2. Steede is a loss, he’s really mobile and great going forward, one of the best kick passers in the county.

Apologies that's what I get for not reading it properly, I would still expect a couple of changes though as that seems to be the way with every team named these days

Team is out for the hurling.

Much the same as the league but with Daithi and Gearoid swapped and Canning at MF with Loftus.

The only thing I'm disappointed by is Tuohy in HF.

I can't remember a more pointless change of position and inclusion as a starter in a long time.

His shooting is utterly shocking, he was a corner back for a reason.
    Probably would struggle to outdo GMAC and Daithi in a shooting comp.

I just really don't see the point to it and he's tried it more than once.
    Hartes on the bench and was a decent HF originally in his career.

Just want to state I do like Tuohy and would use him as a corner back but think playing him as a forward is one of the most ridiculous decisions a manager has made for us in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Niland must be carrying an injury because him not starting is criminal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Very good win by the 2020 minors this evening. They had a bit of a wobble at the start of the second half, but Galway were the better team overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Team is out for the hurling.

Much the same as the league but with Daithi and Gearoid swapped and Canning at MF with Loftus.

The only thing I'm disappointed by is Tuohy in HF.

I can't remember a more pointless change of position and inclusion as a starter in a long time.

His shooting is utterly shocking, he was a corner back for a reason.
    Probably would struggle to outdo GMAC and Daithi in a shooting comp.

I just really don't see the point to it and he's tried it more than once.
    Hartes on the bench and was a decent HF originally in his career.

Just want to state I do like Tuohy and would use him as a corner back but think playing him as a forward is one of the most ridiculous decisions a manager has made for us in a long time.

Bizarre statement. He was excellent in that role against KK in 2018. Very effective there against Waterford this year too.

Seems like fantasy hurling with people at time that pick the 6 best shooters and put so much stock in starters. It's an 80 minute game now with injury time etc. Niland a case in point. He will be brought on at a time when defences are tiring and it opens up.

Can't understand how people get so hung up on starting 15s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Bizarre statement. He was excellent in that role against KK in 2018. Very effective there against Waterford this year too.

He's a fine hurler. But he pulls the trigger too often and from angles that are beyond his skill set. I don't think he is on the team with them expecting him to hit 8 points front play. But he does bring energy, intensity and work rate to the middle third. I'd just be happier if he laid the ball off a bit more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

He's a fine hurler. But he pulls the trigger too often and from angles that are beyond his skill set. I don't think he is on the team with them expecting him to hit 8 points front play. But he does bring energy, intensity and work rate to the middle third. I'd just be happier if he laid the ball off a bit more!

Agreed. He needs to reduce the efforts at goal. But its clear as day watching thus Galway team that they very fluid. We play a couple inside and either 3 at midfield or 4 half forwards and thats why he is there...as a middle third man.

To have the likes of Niland, David Burke, Niall Burke, TJ Brennan and a few more to come on for the last 30 mins is crucial.

15mins and about 10 chances to score... mother of God.
    Facing yet another loss to Dublin unless they pull their finger out.

We seem to keep finding ways to lose to this shower compared to the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

Surely we have a better game plan than putting 30 70 ball into the forwards. Sideline look clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

Comfortably losing i guess you'd call that. 2pts down and should be at least 13 up. No urgency. No real belief they could be in trouble. I hope they show the capacity to change gears at half time. Way way below the level we played in the league.

threeball wrote:
    Comfortably losing i guess you'd call that. 2pts down and should be at least 13 up. No urgency. No real belief they could be in trouble. I hope they show the capacity to change gears at half time. Way way below the level we played in the league.

More or less this. Thought the defence are playing very well with Shane Cooney turning over some lovely ball. JC set a poor tone taking on the goal from a free in the first few minutes. Doubt he would of done similar against Limerick. May not be evident but the breeze is strong blowing into the Hill.

Longer Dublin remain in the game the more precarious this becomes.

More or less this. Thought the defence are playing very well with Shane Cooney turning over some lovely ball. JC set a poor tone taking on the goal from a free in the first few minutes. Doubt he would of done similar against Limerick. May not be evident but the breeze is strong blowing into the Hill.

Longer Dublin remain in the game the more precarious this becomes.

Kind of one where if you're not 4 up going into the last 5 you'll get caught. Bit like the footballers against monaghan

If I were a Galway hurling fan, I’d be saying to myself “bring back Michael Donoghue”.

Don't know why we've abandoned the slick short passing game. Long ball to the ff line never suited us. Think this one is beyond us today

Two line balls in a row scuffed back out.

I don't think they'd have beaten Laois or Westmeath so they can be thankful they weren't playing one of them today.

Trying to pass the ball into the net and haven't dropped one ball into the square.

Worst galway performance in 12 or 13yrs. Like something you'd see in the Goal challenge the week after the all ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

Daithi burke practically playing as a ff. Management should do the decent thing and step away. They are clueless

Robson99 wrote: »
    Daithi burke practically playing as a ff. Management should do the decent thing and step away. They are clueless

Nothing the management can do when a team turn in a performance like that. Galway were flying in the league. And have tanked against Dublin under Donoghue too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

An embarrassing day for Galway hurling and we've a great chance of being beat tomorrow in Hyde.

Get what your performance deserve. That's what we got. Like to say you could never play that badly again but that's hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Can't believe it I am in shock. So few wides from Dublin and so many wides from Galway. Lots of fight and energy from Dublin as well. Fantastic.

I would have Nolan as MOM 4/5 great saves and that long range score.

My auld fella from Galway was going mad at Joe Canning staying on the frees for ages.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Seems like fantasy hurling with people at time that pick the 6 best shooters and put so much stock in starters. It's an 80 minute game now with injury time etc. Niland a case in point. He will be brought on at a time when defences are tiring and it opens up.

Can't understand how people get so hung up on starting 15s.

So can you say O'Neill justified picking Tuohy at HF?.
    He did nothing again today, Harte came and scored straight away.

I won't blame O'Neill for the no show of the entire team but that selection went exactly as it did every other time he tried it and calls like that fall on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Surely if the whole team is off its at management's door as regards attitude to this game or what was said or done last week beforehand? 18-20 lads didn't all get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Well Canning buried any notion that he's in the same league as TJ Reid. He's been a liability today. Absolutely shocking performance and for management to leave him on the frees..wow.
    The usual Galway failings beside an excellent Dublin performance. The suicide passes...the sideline cuts ...the actual cluelessness of experienced players. Galway players taking ages to take a sideline and then fluffing them. Weak stuff.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Surely if the whole team is off its at management's door as regards attitude to this game or what was said or done last week beforehand? 18-20 lads didn't all get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

I doubt there was much done differently to the week before they beat Limerick or waterford. Players are well capable of making themselves believe they'll plough through an opposition. And very often the attitude isn't evident to management.

Well Canning buried any notion that he's in the same league as TJ Reid. He's been a liability today. Absolutely shocking performance and for management to leave him on the frees..wow. The usual Galway failings beside an excellent Dublin performance. The suicide passes...the sideline cuts ...the actual cluelessness of experienced players. Galway players taking ages to take a sideline and then fluffing them. Weak stuff.

Hysterics of some people would make you laugh or cry. One poor game and he's a junior hurler. While it's not excuse for him or management as they started him but Wednesday was the first time he lifted a hurl since the 10th of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

15mins and about 10 chances to score... mother of God.
    Facing yet another loss to Dublin unless they pull their finger out.

We seem to keep finding ways to lose to this shower compared to the rest.
    May be the problem if the players are like yourself and have no respect for another County team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭MattressRick

threeball wrote: »
    I doubt there was much done differently to the week before they beat Limerick or waterford. Players are well capable of making themselves believe they'll plough through an opposition. And very often the attitude isn't evident to management.

Id have thought it'd be evident in sloppiness in training. There's no ruthlessness on the sideline as regards changing the big names when underperforming. Doesn't send out a good message.

Advertisement