Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

RMAOK wrote: »
    Oranmore finding it difficult up in croke park - they are down by 6 at halftime.

Charleville 1-10 oranmore 0-06

It’s on tng4 YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Walsh won two all Irelands as player. Took over when Galway were getting beaten by twenty points plus by Mayo, wins a couple of Connacht championships, league final, All Ireland semi final, well beaten like everyone else by Dublin. Yet he hasn’t a clue what he’s at. That stacks up alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Duane was excellent today.

Great goal.

He was. Fair play to him.

Tom Flynn was great toward the end too. Won a couple of big kick outs.

Great away win with a very under strength side but you’d have to have some doubts about the style of football long term.

Monaghan were surprisingly poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MfMan

No KW fan either, but a strong second half showing. Great character when needed, which is something at least. Monaghan surprisingly poor at home. Kerins nearly cost us again through messing about, and his clubmate Duggan wasn't great either. Shane Walsh did what he does best, - showing for the ball, running, drawing fouls etc. On his big game debut, Laoi wasn't bad. The way I look at it, 2 unexpected bonus points

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

spurshero wrote: »
    Same negative posters on here . Go to Monaghan with half a team and win and still not happy . Wouldn’t be a Walsh fan either but from now we have won 2 out of 3 with a depleted panel and we were never winning in Croker last week . Let’s stay in division one get players back and go from there

As i said in an earlier post, it won't matter who we get back as the system is doomed to failure before you start. It's not being negative, it's just reality. You have a team with the pace and power we have and you play the game at walking pace. The only overly negative person is Kevin Walsh unfortunately. Yes, two points gained but its actually a bad thing for the squad as there is now no appetite for change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

threeball wrote: »
    As i said in an earlier post, it won't matter who we get back as the system is doomed to failure before you start. It's not being negative, it's just reality. You have a team with the pace and power we have and you play the game at walking pace. The only overly negative person is Kevin Walsh unfortunately. Yes, two points gained but its actually a bad thing for the squad as there is now no appetite for change.

A bad thing for our county and our squad of players that we might just remain in D1.
    A bad thing that we are competing against the best teams in the country with a depleted squad and have 2 wins from 3.
    A bad thing that against a b1tch of a breeze against a team that tore us to bits last July and a point down facing that breeze that we eek out a win against the odds.
    These lads want to play ball and that gutsy performance in the second half showed that.
    Yet we have armchair footballers on here who bemoan the fact that we are getting on just because they dont like the style of play. Yes its not pretty. Im not a fan of it either but its important to get behind the lads to help drive them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

That Shane Walsh will never make it :pac:

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    That Shane Walsh will never make it :pac:

Too slow. No left foot and his right is for standing on only. He will be more suited to div 4 football in 3 years time. I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Some implosion by Charleville. Congrats to Oranmore took there chance when they got it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

Oranmore with great second half . Exhibition stuff from Niall Burke with gearoid mc exceptional as well . Credit to them all . They all be a force in Galway in years to come .

• Advertisement

Same negative posters on here . Go to Monaghan with half a team and win and still not happy . Wouldn’t be a Walsh fan either but from now we have won 2 out of 3 with a depleted panel and we were never winning in Croker last week . Let’s stay in division one get players back and go from there

Exactly. I'm not a Walsh fan or hater and that first half was utter ****e. But you'd have to question some supporters. I despise our fan base tbh. On the odd day they actually turn up, we get constant abuse at Lavelle for looking for a short one.."kick it out to fk", or the age old "let it in to fk" when it's 5 v 2 in there. Or "get back in goal" shouts when a goalie takes it upfield. Happens everywhere but especially with us. The most clueless fan base in football is say. Besides that, constant giving out about players, management, style and results. You'd have to wonder what people want. Hurlings the bigger sport in the county these days, we've a city that plays sparsely and yet are Connacht champs 2 of the last 3 years, in the hunt for 2nd best team after the manufactured behemoth in Dublin. Galway GAA fans as a whole have been the luckiest base in the GAA with our two teams over the past 3 years, plus great underage, yet none of the positivity of other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

A bad thing for our county and our squad of players that we might just remain in D1.
    A bad thing that we are competing against the best teams in the country with a depleted squad and have 2 wins from 3.
    A bad thing that against a b1tch of a breeze against a team that tore us to bits last July and a point down facing that breeze that we eek out a win against the odds.
    These lads want to play ball and that gutsy performance in the second half showed that.
    Yet we have armchair footballers on here who bemoan the fact that we are getting on just because they dont like the style of play. Yes its not pretty. Im not a fan of it either but its important to get behind the lads to help drive them on.

Ah sure we were beat 20 points by mayo in championship in 2013 but at least we were playing the Galway way . Some obviously prefer that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MfMan

Brilliant win! Well done, after a long wait and several near-misses, a Galway club wins the Intermediate AI for the first time. How did Burke manage to score the peno with a splintering hurl? Ref bit harsh on Charleville I thought, first sending off maybe a bit unjust.

Ah sure we were beat 20 points by mayo in championship in 2013 but at least we were playing the Galway way . Some obviously prefer that

It wasnt that it was the Galway way or not but it was the way it was played 20 years ago. That was then this was now. Two defensive set ups on Sat night. Fantastic game as they werent afraid to move ball quick or let it in earlier than usual. Only worrying thing is our speed of transition isn't to Sat nights level. Need to get ahead of the defence before it sets up. We did it better 2nd half today.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

MfMan wrote: »
    Brilliant win! Well done, after a long wait and several near-misses, a Galway club wins the Intermediate AI for the first time. How did Burke manage to score the peno with a splintering hurl? Ref bit harsh on Charleville I thought, first sending off maybe a bit unjust.

Both were deserving red cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Brilliant second half by Oran/Maree.....absolutely daft by the cork boys
    Both players had to be sent off....well done the ref

Yet we have armchair footballers on here who bemoan the fact that we are getting on just because they don't like the style of play. Yes its not pretty. I'm not a fan of it either but its important to get behind the lads to help drive them on.

You really think that giving the lads unquestioning support is going to change the outcome for them? The best thing for them is that they get the support they deserve from their management team and instead they've been sold a toothless pup . I've already said I think we have the players to match anyone but without a decent system of play its a waste of time.
    As for those who say our fortunes have changed under Walsh, that is correct to a degree but he has also been fortunate in that the standard of player available to him is far better than at any time since John O Mahony.

You really think that giving the lads unquestioning support is going to change the outcome for them? The best thing for them is that they get the support they deserve from their management team and instead they've been sold a toothless pup . I've already said I think we have the players to match anyone but without a decent system of play its a waste of time.
    As for those who say our fortunes have changed under Walsh, that is correct to a degree but he has also been fortunate in that the standard of player available to him is far better than at any time since John O Mahony.

And you think Walsh will listen to me or you? Not a chance. He has the job, he has the mandate from CB. He needed to stop us conceeding cricket scores. He has susceeded in that. He needed to make us competitive and did. Time for him to make the next step. Will he??? That will come in champ if at all. He will hold cards close to chest until then. Time will tell and his job is riding on him bringing the team to the next level. Is it in him to develop that into the team, I dont know. He has brought Galway to a high level. He deserves credit for that. He has this season to make the next step in progression. If not then there will be a queue of heavy hitters waiting in the wings drooling in anticipation of a young squad of talented players.

And you think Walsh will listen to me or you? Not a chance. He has the job, he has the mandate from CB. He needed to stop us conceeding cricket scores. He has susceeded in that. He needed to make us competitive and did. Time for him to make the next step. Will he??? That will come in champ if at all. He will hold cards close to chest until then. Time will tell and his job is riding on him bringing the team to the next level. Is it in him to develop that into the team, I dont know. He has brought Galway to a high level. He deserves credit for that. He has this season to make the next step in progression. If not then there will be a queue of heavy hitters waiting in the wings drooling in anticipation of a young squad of talented players.

At what point did I speak to Walsh? I'm discussing Galway teams on a Galway forum with other supporters. So don't know what you're talking about there.

If you think he's holding his cards close to his chest and Galway will burst into the championship with an aggressive tackling, high tempo attack then your deluded. It takes months if not the guts of a season to get a team playing like that and the fact we're playing the same as last year tells you its the same old same old. Do you think its fair for players to waste away years of their career waiting for the CB to say they've seen enough.

At what point did I speak to Walsh? I'm discussing Galway teams on a Galway forum with other supporters. So don't know what you're talking about there.

If you think he's holding his cards close to his chest and Galway will burst into the championship with an aggressive tackling, high tempo attack then your deluded. It takes months if not the guts of a season to get a team playing like that and the fact we're playing the same as last year tells you its the same old same old. Do you think its fair for players to waste away years of their career waiting for the CB to say they've seen enough.

I dont know the answer to the first part of your post.

I think he will prime the lads to transition the ball quicker. He wont go 6-2-6 if that is what you are hoping. Transitioning at pace is not entirely alien to the team but they have to be fit enough to do it at more pace and more often during the game. They got to an AI semi final last year, finished top of the league, 2 connacht medals, 2 fbds, a div2 title and beaten in a league final and are now 3rd in the league. Id say they are crying into their protien enhanced weetabix every morning alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

MfMan wrote: »

Charleville only have themselves to blame - they had the breeze advantage in the second half and were up by 6. I thought the 2 reds were justified. Whatever about the first one, the second one when they were down to 14, was ridiculous stuff tbh.

Great win for oranmore - doubt they'll be playing at intermediate level for a long while. Niall Burke was outstanding - hopefully can nail down a starting position for Galway this year.

I dont know the answer to the first part of your post.

I think he will prime the lads to transition the ball quicker. He wont go 6-2-6 if that is what you are hoping. Transitioning at pace is not entirely alien to the team but they have to be fit enough to do it at more pace and more often during the game. They got to an AI semi final last year, finished top of the league, 2 connacht medals, 2 fbds, a div2 title and beaten in a league final and are now 3rd in the league. Id say they are crying into their protien enhanced weetabix every morning alright.

The two Connachts were again a Mayo Team who were on the slide and one that knew they couldn't go all out in May and still be able for it in September. They also coughed up another Connacht playing the same laboured negative drivel that they're playing now and almost lost a second for the same reason. Co-incidentally when they actually came out in played in that replay they hammered Roscommon but reverted to type against Tipp and got their ass handed to them. In the semi last year they were again laboured and Dublin ran rings round them. When they tried a leg in the league final they actually gave Dublin problems. Do you see a pattern here?

You can't just turn it on and off on a particular day. It has to be a culture, where everyone is on the same page and at the moment they're not creating that culture. If you're happy enough to watch such talent going to waste then thats your call but I for one think its wrong.

The 2006-2009 team had a phenomenal amount of talent. Meehan, Nicky Joyce, PJ and Armstrong were about the best 4some in the country up front. Midfield was ok and backs were average but still a better team overall than now and constantly behind the times when to management. Massively tbh. The only manager that gave a semblance of confidence tactically was Kernan and his year was completely riddled with injuries to the majority of our best players. The 10 years from 04-14 must go down as one of the worst managed periods of any side, from top to bottom.

The two Connachts were again a Mayo Team who were on the slide and one that knew they couldn't go all out in May and still be able for it in September. They also coughed up another Connacht playing the same laboured negative drivel that they're playing now and almost lost a second for the same reason. Co-incidentally when they actually came out in played in that replay they hammered Roscommon but reverted to type against Tipp and got their ass handed to them. In the semi last year they were again laboured and Dublin ran rings round them. When they tried a leg in the league final they actually gave Dublin problems. Do you see a pattern here?.

This is just complete nonsense. How did the Tipp hammering happen? Because the full back line were left completely exposed. And we had every talking head on here saying we were niave and needed to cop on. Fast forward a few years and the negative style that came from that loss is suddenly to blame for that loss? Anyone listening to what Mayo said last year were clear that they absolutely targeted that game in Castlebar. We beat them fair and square, albiet in a bad game. The style is bad at times no question. But in the biggest game of all last year, against Dublin,we went reasonably attacking. Granted we got well bet but that was fairly adventurous. 2 of our best players are Comer and Burke, and they need to be close to goal. Walsh can be negative but if he has Walsh, Daly, Comer, Burke available to him later this year he will play more expansivly. I think we've been shown that over that past 18 months (Kildare & Dublin games).

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    This is just complete nonsense. How did the Tipp hammering happen? Because the full back line were left completely exposed. And we had every talking head on here saying we were niave and needed to cop on. Fast forward a few years and the negative style that came from that loss is suddenly to blame for that loss? Anyone listening to what Mayo said last year were clear that they absolutely targeted that game in Castlebar. We beat them fair and square, albiet in a bad game. The style is bad at times no question. But in the biggest game of all last year, against Dublin,we went reasonably attacking. Granted we got well bet but that was fairly adventurous. 2 of our best players are Comer and Burke, and they need to be close to goal. Walsh can be negative but if he has Walsh, Daly, Comer, Burke available to him later this year he will play more expansivly. I think we've been shown that over that past 18 months (Kildare & Dublin games).

The negativity is not the defensive system it's the transition to attack. It's laboured and slow, every game we lost and even some we've won (Kerry last year) have always had the same theme.

Dublin and Kerry were defensive Saturday night but once they turned over they broke at lightning pace. We take 15 solos going back and forth across the pitch. All the easy scores we got today was when we attacked with the tiniest bit of pace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

Bradshaw,Duane really stood up today fair play to them. Flynns fielding at the end showed character.kelly is a super player and Laoi looks promising great result

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I wouldn't give a damn if Galway were playing soul destroying scutterball* if I believed that it was the best way for them to improve. Others have said it better but my issue is that we haven't yet seen much to suggest that Galway are changing/evolving their system to one where they will become a greater threat to Dublin. There's a good set of players there in every area of the pitch unlike previous years where there was always at least one line of the team full of cloggers.

*Just to be clear, I'm not saying we're playing pure scutterball now, I'm just saying I've no problem with dour football, it just has to be effective.

The football needs to get better no question. He did same last year though with the wind against Kerry in Tralee, drew everyone back. It was shiite to watch but we won like today. Willing to give a pass for league games in bad weather. The defensive with the wind logic does have some merit, if your defense is tight the other team simply can't score, and you can go in 4 or 5 up. Not saying I agree but the logics sound, it's just been badly executed.

When Burke came in in championship we went much more attacking and not sure too many can complain about the style vs Kildare or Dubs in that tail end of last year. He's simply playing to strengths in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Tom Flynn really stood up at the end today. Demanding the kick out to be down on top of him and catching it. Fantastic leadership and he didn't hide at crucial stage of match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Tom Flynn really stood up at the end today. Demanding the kick out to be down on top of him and catching it. Fantastic leadership and he didn't hide at crucial stage of match.

He really did, I was impressed by him. As others have said the style we play with is very hard to watch, the defensive set up works to an extent but we're too slow on the counter attack then, by the time we get the ball into our forwards we've allowed the opposition so much time to set up and block all attacking options. That said, I do think when we get the likes of Silke, Molloy, McDaid, Burke, Michael Daly and Comer back our attacking will become more potent. That's the hope anyway! Cooke was exhausted today, he dropped 3 short, you could see the legs were gone, he'll come good too. I think he'll be midfield with Flynn come championship with Michael Daly at 11. Johnny Duane had a great game I thought. Bradshaw and O'Donnell will be under pressure when everyone comes available, think they'll both be on the bench come May.

Advertisement