Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

clickhere wrote: »
    May be the problem if the players are like yourself and have no respect for another County team.

Saying we keep finding a way to lose to Dublin when the others don't is not disrespectful, it was stating a fact as we are the only top team Dublin consistently beat.

Let's be honest, Galway were abysmal and Dublin just about kept them arms length, so I don't think there's much stock to take there for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

Id have thought it'd be evident in sloppiness in training. There's no ruthlessness on the sideline as regards changing the big names when underperforming. Doesn't send out a good message.

Who says training was sloppy? Unless you know otherwise.

Who do you pull today. All 6 forwards were muck. As were the midfielders. Our only performance came from Shane Cooney. Everyone else has to live with underperforming hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

Saying we keep finding a way to lose to Dublin when the others don't is not disrespectful, it was stating a fact as we are the only top team Dublin consistently beat.

Let's be honest, Galway were abysmal and Dublin just about kept them arms length, so I don't think there's much stock to take there for Dublin.

We seem to keep finding ways to lose to this shower compared to the rest. Not a very nice way to refer to another county.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There is a shock there. Most Dublin fans before the game would not have given Dublin a prayer. Especially in CP and not Parnell Park, with the wide pitch. It was watching more in hope than expectation.

If you look at the start of the game Galway (Joe) went for goals and if he had nailed a few of them. The game could have been very different. Galway seemed very listless to me with no energy/fire in them at all. Is it a training issue or something? Plus they fumbled the sliotar so uncharacteristically on so many occasions.

As you say the Galway sideline was mad to keep Canning on frees for so long. He seems to overshadow that Galway team. If he does not play well then normally Galway don't. Maybe it is time to make Canning an impact sub? And let the other players breathe and grow a bit?

There always seems to be a hint of the 'Dutch soccer lads' about Galway hurling. A sense of entitlement. They become their own worst enemy. Team looks frightening 'on paper' but can flop dramatically. Problems between the ears - sports psychologist required to do extra sessions?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Galway really does underachieve as a hurling county. Galway is the second biggest county in Ireland, it has has a very strong club scene, and they've won plenty of underage all Irelands as well. Dublin have been a very poor team since 2013, Galway really should be beating Dublin. Galway finally ended that all Ireland drought in 2017, but the current Galway side is in danger, of ending up with just the one all Ireland, unless something drastic changes. Is the old club rivalries divide affecting the county team again, or are some of the players still dining out on that 2017 all Ireland win? Galway as a hurling county really are an enigma tbh!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway have been very consistent over the past decade. They have nearly always turned up and delivered a performance. Even if they haven't won every game.

Today was back to the old Galway though of not knowing who or what will turn up on any given day. A complete no show. Completely out worked and out battled by Dublin. Joe missing 4 or 5 placed balls which is usually an entire championship's worth of misses for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Galway really does underachieve as a hurling county. Galway is the second biggest county in Ireland, it has has a very strong club scene, and they've won plenty of underage all Irelands as well. Dublin have been a very poor team since 2013, Galway really should be beating Dublin. Galway finally ended that all Ireland drought in 2017, but the current Galway side is in danger, of ending up with just the one all Ireland, unless something drastic changes. Is the old club rivalries divide affecting the county team again, or are some of the players still dining out on that 2017 all Ireland win? Galway as a hurling county really are an enigma tbh!

I was just about to say is the club rivalries, and then I read your last few lines.
    As a Dub I will always remember my first Galway club Hurling SF's in Kenny Park years ago. It was culture shock to me it was fierce on the field and off it. I always remember an auld lad in the crowd standing up and making an announcement 'quiet lads don't rile them up let them hurl'!

I have a load of cousins from Galway. One of them is by far the out and out hurling man. It is always club for him ahead of county. And if Galway lose at all he is quick to slate them in an 'I knew they are useless' anyway manner. And would claim the County management are using his club lads wrong etc. :D

Yet in Dublin I feel it is the other way around most seem to put county more over club. That is the impression I get anyway. It at least would not be the same extent of Club > County as a county like Galway. Youse are not called the Tribesmen for nothing!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Galway have been very consistent over the past decade. They have nearly always turned up and delivered a performance. Even if they haven't won every game.

Today was back to the old Galway though of not knowing who or what will turn up on any given day. A complete no show. Completely out worked and out battled by Dublin. Joe missing 4 or 5 placed balls which is usually an entire championship's worth of misses for him.

I think today was just an all round sh1tshow that you wont see again. The 2 line balls you wouldnt see at an u8s game. Just write it off. Use it as motivation and plough on. I still wouldn't write them off as a contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Yet in Dublin I feel it is the other way around most seem to put county more over club. That is the impression I get anyway. It at least would not be the same extent of Club > County as a county like Galway. Youse are not called the Tribesmen for nothing!

Club rivalry affecting Galway in horse s**t. And that's as much as that conversation deserves. The team wanting to be out before the races are on so they can enjoy themselves is a better argument so it shows how far removed the club rivalry one is.

I was just about to say is the club rivalries, and then I read your last few lines.
    As a Dub I will always remember my first Galway club Hurling SF's in Kenny Park years ago. It was culture shock to me it was fierce on the field and off it. I always remember an auld lad in the crowd standing up and making an announcement 'quiet lads don't rile them up let them hurl'!

I have a load of cousins from Galway. One of them is by far the out and out hurling man. It is always club for him ahead of county. And if Galway lose at all he is quick to slate them in an 'I knew they are useless' anyway manner. And would claim the County management are using his club lads wrong etc. :D

The club fighting is not as bad as it once was. There was a stage that one teams players wouldn't pass to anothers in the county set up and pitched battles after a nightclub where one bunch met another were not uncommon.

Its much more cohesive now. Today had nothing to do with in fighting. They were just brutal. It happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

threeball wrote: »
    I think today was just an all round sh1tshow that you wont see again. The 2 line balls you wouldnt see at an u8s game. Just write it off. Use it as motivation and plough on. I still wouldn't write them off as a contender.

That's letting management and players off a little easy dont you think? It was amateur hour at times. Thats how clueless they were. The desperation they showed without any leaders..none. Conor Whelan tried hard but he missed some sitters aswell. Canning isn't a relation to a leader..wheres he grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck? I ll single him out but McInerney was tremendously poor aswell. Experienced guys but so poor. Shane O Neill really was slow to make serious changes. He failed badly in the replay managing Na Piarsaigh against Mattie Kenny and Cuala in the All Ireland club replay a few years ago aswell. Verybslow on the line.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Team selection today was shocking. Too many lads out of position and no balance to the line up.

Loss could be a blessing in disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

So can you say O'Neill justified picking Tuohy at HF?.
    He did nothing again today, Harte came and scored straight away.

I won't blame O'Neill for the no show of the entire team but that selection went exactly as it did every other time he tried it and calls like that fall on him.

It certainly didn't work today and I don't think it will.br tried again but it has worked before.

Today looked like a systems failure. Iv never seen so many terrible wides/misses in a game.

Shane Stapleton has us down for 15 chances taken out of 41 attempts at goal. That's insane.

It certainly didn't work today and I don't think it will.br tried again but it has worked before.

Today looked like a systems failure. Iv never seen so many terrible wides/misses in a game.

Shane Stapleton has us down for 15 chances taken out of 41 attempts at goal. That's insane.

I had us down as missing 3 - 16 very scorable opportunities. I wouldnt worry about it too much. Very unlikely to happen again and better now than the knockout stages. Apart from kk v wex the general standard so far has been poor.

I had us down as missing 3 - 16 very scorable opportunities. I wouldnt worry about it too much. Very unlikely to happen again and better now than the knockout stages. Apart from kk v wex the general standard so far has been poor.

Thats the thing. Sometimes ya can say ya had 20 wides but a lot are loose pot shots from distance...bit like Limerick there. But plus 10 of ours as you note were bankable every day points. It seemed to put an uncertainty throughout every line of the field as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

Beginning to look like we are gone over the top with this team.
    Touhy, McInerney, Harte, David B, Coen, Cooneys x2 all either gone past it or just not good enough anymore.

Does anyone know what Loftus is doing in training cause I have yet to seem him do anything at senior level. Game always by passes him.
    Think we also need to start planning without JC. Engine appears to be fading. Pity he wont have got a second medal before he retires

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

That's letting management and players off a little easy dont you think? It was amateur hour at times. The sidelines should have been accompanied by circus music and a clown riding a tiny motor bike. Thats how clueless they were. The desperation they showed without any leaders..none. Conor Whelan tried hard but he missed some sitters aswell. Canning isn't a relation to a leader..wheres he grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck? I ll single him out but McInerney was tremendously poor aswell. Experienced guys but so poor. Shane O Neill really was slow to make serious changes. He failed badly in the replay managing Na Piarsaigh against Mattie Kenny and Cuala in the All Ireland club replay a few years ago aswell. Verybslow on the line.

He's been central to everything he's won with Galway and very often stood up on losing days when nobody else did. Everyone has an off day or two.

MfMan wrote: »
    Give it a rest will you. You've been sniping at Canning for a while now, he steal your girl or something? He's been central to everything he's won with Galway and very often stood up on losing days when nobody else did. Everyone has an off day or two. What county are you from?

Hear hear. This denigration of players and teams on the basis of one day is awful stuff. We had a nightmare today. But don't tell me we aren't closer to the league performances than today.

We started out today with 1 player in the same position as the 2018 All Ireland final between 1 and 9. 4 of our back 7 weren't there that time.

Off days happen.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Beginning to look like we are gone over the top with this team.
    Touhy, McInerney, Harte, David B, Coen, Cooneys x2 all either gone past it or just not good enough anymore.

Does anyone know what Loftus is doing in training cause I have yet to seem him do anything at senior level. Game always by passes him.
    Think we also need to start planning without JC. Engine appears to be fading. Pity he wont have got a second medal before he retires

Its amazing how one game will swing opinion from potential all ireland champions to has beens with a team that needs rebuilding. Regardless of what happened today they did not become also rans overnight and I still expect them to be in the hunt come August. Limerick weren't exactly pulling up trees today either. If Cork were as efficient as Dublin they'd be in the qualifiers with us.

Its amazing how one game will swing opinion from potential all ireland champions to has beens with a team that needs rebuilding. Regardless of what happened today they did not become also rans overnight and I still expect them to be in the hunt come August. Limerick weren't exactly pulling up trees today either. If Cork were as efficient as Dublin they'd be in the qualifiers with us.
    Not just one game. When did Conor Cooney, Joseph Cooney GMc or Touhy last gave a good championship game ?
    David burke, JC, Harte Coen all wrong side of 30.
    Some hard calls selection wise to be made next day, however I DC ont see them being made

• Advertisement

Not just one game. When did Conor Cooney, Joseph Cooney GMc or Touhy last gave a good championship game ?
    David burke, JC, Harte Coen all wrong side of 30.
    Some hard calls selection wise to be made next day, however I DC ont see them being made

For GMac I would say today. He was very solid. Our full back line and goalie, where we had the most concerns were actually our best.

What are the hard selection calls...as in who would you drop and for who? Curious as we had made 2 changes by half time today so unsure why ya see reluctance given we have made so many early subs in league too when players not performing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Anyone who still thinks Galway will go close to winning the all Ireland this year is kidding themselves, saying it's just an off day and no need to worry is the wrong attitude as these off days are becoming a regular occurrence in the championship in the last 2 or 3 years. Dublin beat Galway the last time they played too in 2019, which knocked them out of the championship, that alone should have been enough motivation to stop it happening again. Galway don't seem to have it in them to turn a game around when it's going against them.

For GMac I would say today. He was very solid. Our full back line and goalie, where we had the most concerns were actually our best.

What are the hard selection calls...as in who would you drop and for who? Curious as we had made 2 changes by half time today so unsure why ya see reluctance given we have made so many early subs in league too when players not performing?

Conor cooney, G mac, Touhy/Burke/ Loftus ..
    TJ Brennan, Kevin Cooney, Niland all should come in

I would be willing to try Joseph Cooney at 6. Personally think it's his best position and at least he has ability to deliver ball into the forward line when he has posession

Conor cooney, G mac, Touhy/Burke/ Loftus ..
    TJ Brennan, Kevin Cooney, Niland all should come in

I would be willing to try Joseph Cooney at 6. Personally think it's his best position and at least he has ability to deliver ball into the forward line when he has posession

Why would you drop GMac after his run of performances? When you say Burke do you mean Daithi Burke?

Try Joseph Cooney in half back line after Hegarty took him for 7 points last November?

TJ would fit in I reckon at 7. Need some pace there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Anyone who still thinks Galway will go close to winning the all Ireland this year is kidding themselves, saying it's just an off day and no need to worry is the wrong attitude as these off days are becoming a regular occurrence in the championship in the last 2 or 3 years. Dublin beat Galway the last time they played too in 2019, which knocked them out of the championship, that alone should have been enough motivation to stop it happening again. Galway don't seem to have it in them to turn a game around when it's going against them.

I’ve often thought Galway need a good sports psychologist like Caroline Currid etc

The strength and conditioning of Galway isn’t much of an advantage in itself anymore

Also the main men on that team are over 30 just like Tipps team

Girly Gal wrote: »

I rarely have read someone with such self loathing about their own county. If they're the bunch of bottlers you claim them to be then why do you watch them and then post about them. Every single time they give a bad performance its the same aul spiel yet galway are by far the most consistent team over the last decade. Wins heavily outweigh loses and many of those were backs to the wall performances like the great games against tipp and kk.

Why would you drop GMac after his run of performances? When you say Burke do you mean Daithi Burke?

Try Joseph Cooney in half back line after Hegarty took him for 7 points last November?

TJ would fit in I reckon at 7. Need some pace there.
    What run of performances from Mcinerney ?
    David Burke.
    Yes I would be willing to give cooney another go at Centre Back
    TJ B also required in hb line. Possibly put P Mannion to mid field

I rarely have read someone with such self loathing about their own county. If they're the bunch of bottlers you claim them to be then why do you watch them and then post about them. Every single time they give a bad performance its the same aul spiel yet galway are by far the most consistent team over the last decade. Wins heavily outweigh loses and many of those were backs to the wall performances like the great games against tipp and kk.

Couldn't agree more. A lot seem to seek validation through the prism of a victory and then when's its a loss its a turn on the players/management to seek blame.

Christ we are Still in the championship. Wev rebuilt a nice squad. The greatest player of his generation missed 9 chances in the 1st half that he usually would convert in his sleep.

Dig in. Serious character in that panel as proven through the years.

What run of performances from Mcinerney ?
    David Burke.
    Yes I would be willing to give cooney another go at Centre Back
    TJ B also required in hb line. Possibly put P Mannion to mid field

David Burke came on as a sub today. He didn't start.

McInerney had a superb league at full back unless ya weren't watching?

Ya TJ worth a punt I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Tipp for whatever reason seems to bring the best out in them but when have Galway turned a championship game around when they were really struggling, could you see this Galway team doing what Kilkenny did today in the same situation, based on today's display they wouldn't, they give in too easily in matches and other teams know this.

Last year's Leinster final is a prime example, in total control (as usual not fully reflected on the score board) let Kilkenny back into it with 2 soft goals, looked like we'd weathered the storm but, still let it slip again and never really looked like winning it in the last few minutes.

Advertisement