Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The best of luck to Joyce and the lads today.
    Up the tribes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Tipp for whatever reason seems to bring the best out in them but when have Galway turned a championship game around when they were really struggling, could you see this Galway team doing what Kilkenny did today in the same situation, based on today's display they wouldn't, they give in too easily in matches and other teams know this.

Last year's Leinster final is a prime example, in total control (as usual not fully reflected on the score board) let Kilkenny back into it with 2 soft goals, looked like we'd weathered the storm but, still let it slip again and never really looked like winning it in the last few minutes.

Off the top of my head they've done it against Clare, cork and KK and almost did it against Limerick in 2018. They overhauled big leads against Cork and waterford in the league just a few weeks ago. They are prone to arriving flat on occasion but they win about 90% of their games. The pile in after a loss is fairly pitiful to be honest. The same people would be crying about all ireland tickets if the bandwagon hadn't hit a bump in the road. I wouldnt like to draw them in the qualifiers I can tell you that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Tipp for whatever reason seems to bring the best out in them but when have Galway turned a championship game around when they were really struggling, could you see this Galway team doing what Kilkenny did today in the same situation, based on today's display they wouldn't, they give in too easily in matches and other teams know this.

Last year's Leinster final is a prime example, in total control (as usual not fully reflected on the score board) let Kilkenny back into it with 2 soft goals, looked like we'd weathered the storm but, still let it slip again and never really looked like winning it in the last few minutes.

Richie Hogan goal was a stroke of a genious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Girly Gal wrote:

I know Threeball has answered but this sh**e talk doesn't wash with Galway supporters anymore. This team have been brought to the well plenty of times over the years and have not been found wanting. Yesterday was an implosion of epic proportions. But Galway didn't throw away a lead or down tools. Outside the full back line they were just sh**e. From first puck to last. Sh**e.

2019 was a different day under different circumstances. We had a thin panel. Daithi played with an injection in his foot and hadn't held a hurl in weeks. Anyone that knows his game knows he needs a game or two to get where he needs to be. JC didn't start and hadn't played a game since an injury against Waterford in a league quarter final. Conor Cooney didn't feature at all. And Conor Whelan went off after 20 minutes.

Win or lose yesterday it was tough games coming either way. Galway's form over the last couple of months didn't point to a performance like yesterday. Hopefully they can get back on track in two weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

threeball wrote: »
    Off the top of my head they've done it against Clare, cork and KK and almost did it against Limerick in 2018. They overhauled big leads against Cork and waterford in the league just a few weeks ago. They are prone to arriving flat on occasion but they win about 90% of their games. The pile in after a loss is fairly pitiful to be honest. The same people would be crying about all ireland tickets if the bandwagon hadn't hit a bump in the road. I wouldnt like to draw them in the qualifiers I can tell you that much.

Don't think we've played Cork in the championship for about 5 or 6 years, Clare and Kilkenny in 2018 we let big leads slip in both, we had the opposition almost dead and buried but, let them back onto it, both leading to unnecessary replays which ultimately drained the team for the All Ireland final. Even those examples are going back 3 years now, an awful lot has changed since, you can forget about league matches especially this year as teams didn't really seem to take it seriously. Does losing yesterday also mean they lose the chance to win the league outright, wasn't a Galway v Kilkenny Leinster final going to double up as a league final too?

• Advertisement

Girly Gal wrote:
    Don't think we've played Cork in the championship for about 5 or 6 years, Clare and Kilkenny in 2018 we let big leads slip in both, we had the opposition almost dead and buried but, let them back onto it, both leading to unnecessary replays which ultimately drained the team for the All Ireland final. Even those examples are going back 3 years now, an awful lot has changed since, you can forget about league matches especially this year as teams didn't really seem to take it seriously. Does losing yesterday also mean they lose the chance to win the league outright, wasn't a Galway v Kilkenny Leinster final going to double up as a league final too?

Any game against Kilkenny is a league final

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Rosita

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Richie Hogan goal was a stroke of a genious.

Ball hit into an empty net. Disaster from a defensive perspective. Hogan did well but it was a defensive blunder primarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

David Burke came on as a sub today. He didn't start.

McInerney had a superb league at full back unless ya weren't watching?

Ya TJ worth a punt I think.
    Yes but one if not two from DBurke Loftus or Touhy will start again the next day out around the middle of the park / hf line and just not good enough.

Dont read anything into the league. Why has McInerney been moved to full back when we have a multiple all star winner and best full back in the country there already ???

This is not knee jerk reaction to a bad day at the office.
    Our last 4 defeats in the championship have been Dublin x2, a poor Kilkenny team and Limerick. Maybe we are a little lower in the rankings than we think we are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Bad day at the office for the hurlers yesterday. Let's park the hysterics about players being over the hill etc. until they have at least a chance to prove/disprove themselves in the qualifiers.

Wishing PJ and the footballers every success today. The loss to Monaghan in the league relegation game will hopefully have focused the minds. There's also no backdoor in Football this year (am I right ?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Bad day at the office for the hurlers yesterday. Let's park the hysterics about players being over the hill etc. until they have at least a chance to prove/disprove themselves in the qualifiers.

Wishing PJ and the footballers every success today. The loss to Monaghan in the league relegation game will hopefully have focused the minds. There's also no backdoor in Football this year (am I right ?)

Ya your right loose today and its curtains
    Rumours of Walshe being out is this true (from a red and green supporter)hoping ye do it today as we will be waiting for ye in castlebar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

naughto wrote: »
    Ya your right loose today and its curtains
    Rumours of Walshe being out is this true (from a red and green supporter)hoping ye do it today as we will be waiting for ye in castlebar

Galway love Castlebar!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Galway love Castlebar!!!

Galway might but I dont no if the players do

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mjp

Any sign of subs bench named for today? Rumours few players after walking away from panel which won't help if true.

Even as bad as yesterday was I'd have more faith in the hurlers turning things around than the footballers... nothing to be optimistic about there between the lack of cohesion added to the fact the dominant team will swipe them aside even if they did progress beyond Connacht.

You pick out two games which went to replays and went to the wire and Galway won both. Yet you frame it as an example of being bottlers. Less of the reactionary hogwash with no examples of us consistently ****ting the bed. Yes we've lost big games, but so have Tipp, Cork and even KK. Try to analyse whats happening in the entirety rather than writing them off over one game.

mjp wrote: »
    Any sign of subs bench named for today? Rumours few players after walking away from panel which won't help if true.

This has been happening since last year. Players don't walk away from good set ups with potential to win something. More and more are realising that this ship is going nowhere and who could blame them for not committing to what is realistically a dead end.

mjp wrote:

Only Steede left as far as I'm aware.

Dominating so far. Nothing on the scoreboard. Early misses cost yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Looked like a point in fairness

Criminal not having a free taker at this level.

Footballs so low scoring you can't just keep giving away good free opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Criminal not having a free taker at this level.

Footballs so low scoring you can't just keep giving away good free opportunities.

Tierney will come good on frees. He's only a babby yet.

Tierney will come good on frees. He's only a babby yet.

I'll change that... criminal letting Walsh take the frees up until now.

Tierney did well ever since.

He's far too patchy and underhits the ball too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Even as bad as yesterday was I'd have more faith in the hurlers turning things around than the footballers... nothing to be optimistic about there between the lack of cohesion added to the fact the dominant team will swipe them aside even if they did progress beyond Connacht.

Ffs That’s the spirit
    Aren’t they lucky to have “supporters” like yourself.
    some of the sh1te posted up here the last day would leave you wondering.

That has to be it all from cookes turnover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

threeball wrote: »
    You pick out two games which went to replays and went to the wire and Galway won both. Yet you frame it as an example of being bottlers. Less of the reactionary hogwash with no examples of us consistently ****ting the bed. Yes we've lost big games, but so have Tipp, Cork and even KK. Try to analyse whats happening in the entirety rather than writing them off over one game.

Last 3 years in championship Dublin twice and Kilkenny last year, Galway lost games they should be winning, both games against Dublin, Galway were poor, (in 2019 Loais beat Dublin next day out)last year we weren't able to close it out against an average Kilkenny side (Waterford ran Kilkenny ragged in the semi final). We're losing to fairly average teams with fairly timid displays, I think they are better than what they've showed in the championship recently (performances against Tipp and Limerick last year were fine) that's why it's so frustrating watching them lose to fairly average opposition.

I'll change that... criminal letting Walsh take the frees up until now.

He's a good free taker. As to why he was allow kick frees off his left when that was the leg with the slight strain is f**king beyond me. The amount of amateur hour decisions made in this setup is beyond me.

That was a nice tonic to yesterday.

A lot of young lads like Tierney, Paul Kelly and McHugh all stood up today.

Hope Shaney's injury isn't too bad but would have preferred he was taken off after the Tierney goal just to be safe.

Great to see Tom Flynn come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

He's a good free taker. As to why he was allow kick frees off his left when that was the leg with the slight strain is f**king beyond me. The amount of amateur hour decisions made in this setup is beyond me.

That was odd to say the least

That was a nice tonic to yesterday.

A lot of young lads like Tierney, Paul Kelly and McHugh all stood up today.

Hope Shaney's injury isn't too bad but would have preferred he was taken off after the Tierney goal just to be safe.

Great to see Tom Flynn come on.

Molloy too I'd add to that list imv

• Advertisement

Molloy too I'd add to that list imv

Agreed he was eternally making himself available in attack

Advertisement