Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I'm from Mayo, but I won't be mentioning anything about All-Irelands in January or February.

I'll take it like the recovering alcoholic does - one day at a time. Try yo get over Donegal today first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Sounds like terrible conditions in Salthill. Advantage Galway you would hope ?? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Breeze very strong. Despite the lead the breeze is worth 6 or 7 points. Couple of goal chances left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Wow.... Galway 1-9 to Meath 0-0 at half time. They clearly had the "elements" in their favour, but still that's impressive 👍

Post edited by littlevillage on

As bad as Meath were today, they'll likely pick off a few other the others so a good win.

Points difference can also be a factor so good to get a decent total up.

I'd worry about the restarts though, especially playing into the win. It was just take as long as possible, everyone standing static and launching it into a crowded space. Meath won a lot of them and could have rattled a few quick scores off but ended up putting passes out of play etc.

It's even more important to find someone short kicking into a gale. Meath won most of theirs kicking into it, and most of ours into it.

With the demise of Dublin looking likely, the bar has dropped significantly and we're certainly more than capable of beating any of the other teams, despite our flaws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,472 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

JAysus!!!

Thats very strange.yeah… if you want to spend big money on a modern stadium build it on a rocky outcrop on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean, exposed to 3000kms of water before the next landfall.

Great idea that!!!!

Great idea surely, so it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I felt awful for the Meath supporters (who travelled in good numbers as always in fairness to them on a wet and windy Winter Sunday). Their lads made us look far better than we were. We blew two great goal chances and left ourselves fairly exposed on the counter in the second half (Molloy was given an absolute bollocking by O'Neill over it in the second half).

Overall though midfield was excellent and dealt reasonable well against the breeze. Walsh took one of the finest scores I've seen in Salthill and was generally in good form. McDaid and Daly were busy with ball in hand and always looking to support.

We'll have much tougher days this campaign but a win is a win and they have a good little run of form behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I'm sure there was great shelter from the sun in the shed in Tuam today. It was crap weather all over the venues today

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Why cant they play in the Dome? Stream it online half the profits with Connacht cc

Dividing the attendance by 10 just because there's a bit of wind and rain. Are you sure you're not on the county board?

• Advertisement

Sure there was, but why should most games in Salthill be plagued by weather issues.

Either wind, rain, wind and rain,low sun?

surely at the planning stage this was taken into account..no?

A nice little arena covered all round built in a sheltered central area would have been the aim.

But no…… local vested interests scuppered that.

C’mon dude, face reality.

I've attended matches in pearse stadium since the early 1980s and played there many times. A day like yesterday is an exception. I think it's one of the best venues around, Mayo supporters like to run it down and talk about wind and traffic delays. If they didn't leave it to the last minute to get there and expect to park outside the gate when they arrive they would not have these problems. Some supporters of Tuam stadium also claim the same but I genuinely feel it's because they have been left behind by their own lack of development over the years. The shed for a stand in Tuam is enough to tell anyone it's not a proper venue. Maybe the odd league game. I would love to see it developed but it's not up to scratch. As for the dome give it 10 years and it will be full of bale's of silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

I doubt many will argue that Pearse Stadium should have been relocated and built on a greenfield when it came to redevelop it.

However that happened 19 years ago, the County Board is broke and it's just pointless to litigate it at this stage. The Dome doesn't have the capacity required for a league game so that's a nonsense suggestion.

Absolutely …. Forget about the Dome…. Glorified training facility …allbeit a good one.

Extremely shortsighted strategy to sink a lot of Eurons into Pearse given its location, and yet we have scones on here trying to defend the place.

GAA have some great stadia all around the country, but they all seem to have that wide open windswept aspect.

Whats wrong with a nice ‘tidy ‘ stadium, coverage all the way round, no great frills, constructed in an area where the weather is not a major issue….ie sheltered.

Is that too fohhhking difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Unless they are going to put a roof on that stadium, where is this sheltered land you speak of in the west of Ireland?

I've been to plenty of matches in Kenny Park, Tuam, Loughrea and Ballinasloe with a tidy bit of gale and rain in the summer. There's also no mythical ground in the county that's gonna be without traffic issues (took me an hour to get out of Ballinasloe for Walsh Cup onto the motorway).

People can bitch and moan about Salthill but it's wasted energy. Was it a good spot for a ground? Nope and I'll never defend the county board for it (although I'm a 20 minute drive from the ground which is a nice treat compared to going literally any other ground intercounty in the country). Is it too late to change? Absolutely. If you use it as an excuse to avoid going to games then I don't think you'd be going to many games anyways. Even Meath fans beside me that travelled the guts of 3 hours each way were impressed with the stand keeping us relatively dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

I'm no huge fan of Pearse stadium but it's not at the mercy of the elements much more than any other county ground or pitch in the country when the weather is bad. Every ground on the western seaboard would be similarly affected. In spite of what OTT on GBFM was blathering about during commentary, conditions weren't especially dreadful; it wasn't spilling rain, it was a heavy drizzle during some of the game that cleared towards the end. The breeze was strong but not gale force, and didn't prevent Galway from scoring 5 points into it in the second half nor goalie Flaherty's kickouts reaching past the 45 when necessary. It wasn't even freezing cold as long as you dressed sensibly. Some of the days we played Roscommon and Mayo in the *championship* over the past few years there were more inclement.

Great…..There’s no place in “The West of Ireland” where a compact sensible stadium can be planned .

I did not know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Wasn't there talk a few years back of some developers wishing to build from a green field site in return for Pearse Stadium?

• Advertisement

There was talk about the GAA stadium across from the Galway United ground with a link road from the "new" ring road

They made 50,000 from the Mayo fbd game how how did the make from the meath game? I think 3000 people went to the meath game which is what the dome can hold.

Why don't Mayo play in it so, at least we have a ground we can play in.

They should. I dont understand why people are against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Pretty sure the dome holds 600

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

RIP Noel Treacy. Post-political career, served as County Board Chairman for a spell. Great supporter of all Galway teams, particularly his beloved hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Traffic problems, access is a nightmare and the weather is shocking when you're going from your car to the entrance!

Just an FYI incase anyone misses it.

The Galway/Down game is available on GAAGo.

€5 which is a fair fee for a stream, makes a mockery of the FBD games being charged at e8 or some of the club games where they were looking for almost normal admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

The BBC is live streaming this game so can be got for free on the ould internet......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

You're missing a key point here: the dome is in Ballyhaunis.

This was a home game for Galway.

Ballyhaunis is not a home game, as much as I know most Mayo people would love to be from Galway.

Advertisement