Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,657 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Surely unsustainable? Keeping the amount of shots up though and keeping that scoring efficiency at a high-ish level would be key

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Was it last year AOS started the fight at half time and OHora slammed Shane walsh into the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Mayo are no angels and well able to target players, they have learned from their losses over the years, o hora took Shane Walsh out of it last year and between that and Sean Kelly having to go off injured it turned the game. The previous year Sean Kelly was taken down for a professional foul heading in on goal. I've no doubt they will target Conroy and Walsh in a few weeks time. Galway need to be wise to the dirty side of Mayo. The o conners are also no angels either. Hopefully there's a strong ref appointed for the match in castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

A professional foul!!!!??? What is a professional foul? I don't ever recall seeing a definition of a professional foul in the GAA rulebook. I could be wrong, but I doubt if the GAA would have referred to a "professional foul" in their commentary considering it is an amateur sport.

Galway man had the ball, Mayo man did a tackle that was not within the confines of the GAA rulebook. The Mayo chap received and served his punishment as per the rules. Where in any of that is there a "dirty side of Mayo"? If you do not like the rules, address it to headquarters.

To be successful, every team needs a bit of a rough edge. That is probably Galways problem - they need more players like Conroy and Comer - players who will do anything for the cause, and are not afraid of overstepping the mark when it comes to the physicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

I think you know what he meant. Kelly was through on goal in that one which would have won the game. No need for the sarcastic comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Avon8

While I don't think you can change a match venues from indoors at short notice when teams have been prepping for outdoors, there is something fairly surreal about a camera man cleaning the lens with a dirty pocket tissue every few minutes while a big unused dome looms in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Ref. looks up for it for Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Avon8

Whatever chance the game had of breathing has been ruined by the ref anyway.

Still, Galway looking like a novice minor team. No idea how to use the conditions. The missed double goal chance at the start will probably be the difference if conditions stay the same

Just finished it there.

My God.

Is there any county like Galway that seems to produce such a high volume of "This is the worst I've ever seen" over such a short period?.

Last year the minor and U20 hurlers, the senior hurlers had two in the summer, footballers senior have had a few in 2021 as well.

You can give allowances for the wind but that was pitiful.

Two periods summed it up.

Just before HT they spent three minutes running to Mayo's HB line, risked losing it and then turning and passing it backwards and sidewards again (why leave anyone inside the 45 if the ball wasn't going to be kicked in), they eventually get a free and Tomo decided he couldn't kick it at goal but takes on a 35 yard pass that curls out of play and wide(he showed very little IQ in that game to match the minor hype I'm afraid).

And at the very end they won the ball back, kicked it sideways a few times, eventually got it to the 45 and just arsed around until he blew it up and they didn't even get a chance.

The wind certainly doesn't stop you having a running game and scoring from the D(or even just going for goals alone) but they were absolutely clueless running the ball, it was generally someone running it across the pitch and passing to someone running into the same area it came or else someone running alone, eventually hitting the brakes and passing it back.

I hope the new regime for under age development Bellew talked about was not only for the hurlers as our coaching for a big county is so poor for our size, we should be winning AIs regularly in both codes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Horrible game. Absolutely abysmal conditions. Not sure anything much can be read into it. Was always going to be a game where whoever got the first goal was going to give themselves a great chance given the low amount of scores. Galway missed 2 great goal chances early on and then gifted a goal to Mayo just after half time. And that was pretty much the winning of it. Pulled a goal back late on. Lost by 2 in the end.

The gale was a strange one as it wasn't going from one goal to the other. It was more or less straight across the pitch. Maybe slightly favouring Galway in the first half. But it made shooting and kick passing treacherous.

One of the worst games I've ever watched. Would have liked to have seen it inside the dome. Would probably have got a much fairer representation of what both teams were capable of. Rather than it being a bit of a lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

That was hard going. I've been cold at matches but I can't remember many as bad as that. So little happened in the match the turning points are easy to pick out. Double missed goal chance by Galway in the 1st few minutes. Horrendous back pass mistake for the Galway goal were the two main ones.

End of the game was a bit unfair. I think either one or two players were booked in injury time and a ball went missing behind the goal for nearly a minute yet the ref blew up about 40 seconds after the 4minutes added on.

Anyway it was muck. No plan. No direction. Running head down with the ball into cul de sacs. Very disappointing from a decent group of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Nope, no reference to that in a GAA manual either. Now, you're just fabricating stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Great win for our ladies.........brilliant second half.

It’s a good comeback but Cork are genuinely a distant 3rd at the moment after Galway and Kilkenny. They really didn’t have an impressive league

Lord. In the end of the day, Camogie is a completely different sport to Hurling. Using literally the same tactics won’t work and it’s kinda showing that way. Page of the game is completely different, coupled with really having to work for scoring opportunities.

If you have a player that can score at a high rate from play from 65m out, you are laughing

Disagree, goals will always win camogie matches

Yes I know that, hence why I said really having to work for scoring opportunities. However, if you ha e a player that can score consistently from distance (ie previously Gemma O’ Connor for Cork), it’s massive because no teams really have that luxury

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Great comeback, looked like they were in for a tough second half when Cork scored the goal, but they showed great character to comeback from that. Great second half display, bodes well for the championship. They showed real grit and determination, our men's teams in both codes could certainly learn from them.

• Advertisement

Agreed - and a big thing Galway have going for them is squad depth. Cork in particular don’t have that currently. I’d be unsure about KK but it surely can’t be the level of Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Anyone know anyone running a supporters bus to castlebar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭obi604

Thinking of heading to Wexford park on Saturday with the 7 year old. Are there tickets still available?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

They did the same in the All Ireland final last year. It was level when Cork scored a goal with about 10 or 15 minutes left and their supporters got fierce excited. Galway teams in the past would have wilted but they responded really well and won by 3. Great mental strength in that team and a good manager.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Yes for the uncovered stand and the clonard terrace, Uncovered stand is lovely on a nice day and by all accounts Saturday afternoon should be fine.

Thanks, ive never been to wexford park before is it generally ok for traffic/parking or is it a mess ike Salthill :)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I have two free ones if you want. They'll be for the stand as they're the season ticket section. Be a shame to waste them.

Thanks a million. But I bought them earlier on ticket master.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Traffic can be terrible trying to get back out of town but once your out on the N11 it's fine. Plenty of parking options if your early enough, the church beside the park run a paid carpark but it fills up early.

• Advertisement

I'd be hesitant to travel down there again for a day trip. I did it for the last round robin game. With a 4.30 start it's really an overnight trip.

Ive not been this as unenthusiastic about a hurling championship in my living memory.

We're just so poor. Couldn't manage one goal against any team outside of Offaly, while someone like Waterford scored about nine in their last two games.

It's a fair reflection of a teams attacking ability in hurling if they are going multiple games without scoring a goal. It shows that even scoring "easy points" is difficult.

But I suppose from that POV.. the only way is up and I don't expect then to get out Leinster based on the last 12 months.

Advertisement