Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

This is the Galway team that started the championship game against Mayo last summer in MacHale Park

Ruairi Lavelle;
    Declan Kyne, Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh, Eoghan Kerin;
    Gary O’Donnell, Gareth Bradshaw, Cathal Sweeney;
    Thomas Flynn, Ciarán Duggan;
    Shane Walsh,
    Paul Conroy, Johnny Heaney;
    Seán Armstrong, Damien Comer, Barry McHugh

In bold will likely start this Saturday night. The biggest losses there are Conroy and Comer. Wynne,Sean Kelly,Michael Daly are very much as good if not better than Armstrong,Sweeney,Kyne.

Still hard to believe Ian Burke didnt make that Galway team v Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Robert2014

I think for me the issue is that we are not progressing. Last year reminded me of the first year McGuinness was in charge of Donegal. He got them to defend en masse to build up a solid defence which brought them a provincial title and an All-Ireland semi-final. In the following year they were able to add an attacking dimension when certain players could attack at once and the others defend. That is what we need to do now, which is to define a method to attack and put pressure on the opposition. If Kevin Walsh could bring in someone like a Paddy Tally for attacking, that would be great!

I guess with Corofin's run last year Burke wasn't available for the league campaign and it would be hard to drop him in as a starter when he wasn't as established as he is now. He is a starter once he comes back. I wonder who many more Corofin players will be in the same position this time next year when we wonder how they didn't start the opening Championship games?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MfMan

Robert2014 wrote: »
    I think for me the issue is that we are not progressing. Last year reminded me of the first year McGuinness was in charge of Donegal. He got them to defend en masse to build up a solid defence which brought them a provincial title and an All-Ireland semi-final. In the following year they were able to add an attacking dimension when certain players could attack at once and the others defend. That is what we need to do now, which is to define a method to attack and put pressure on the opposition. If Kevin Walsh could bring in someone like a Paddy Tally for attacking, that would be great!

I guess with Corofin's run last year Burke wasn't available for the league campaign and it would be hard to drop him in as a starter when he wasn't as established as he is now. He is a starter once he comes back. I wonder who many more Corofin players will be in the same position this time next year when we wonder how they didn't start the opening Championship games?

I'd say Burke was held specifically as an impact sub last year v Mayo.

That's the trouble, we're not really progressing. We're in KW's 5th year and still damn all further on. Kerry, in a mere matter of months with a new manager and a host of new players, look to have already overtaken us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

MfMan wrote: »

That's the trouble, we're not really progressing. We're in KW's 5th year and still damn all further on. Kerry, in a mere matter of months with a new manager and a host of new players, look to have already overtaken us.

In all fairness Kerry are after winning 5 all Ireland minors in a row . It has to start showing at some stage . Not sure Walsh will change at this stage . I have defended him a lot but the ball is to slow going forward of that there is no doubt ..having said all that for all the talk of the great forwards we have they need to up there Game scoring wise as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

This is the Galway team that started the championship game against Mayo last summer in MacHale Park

Ruairi Lavelle;
    Declan Kyne, Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh, Eoghan Kerin;
    Gary O’Donnell, Gareth Bradshaw, Cathal Sweeney;
    Thomas Flynn, Ciarán Duggan;
    Shane Walsh,
    Paul Conroy, Johnny Heaney;
    Seán Armstrong, Damien Comer, Barry McHugh

In bold will likely start this Saturday night. The biggest losses there are Conroy and Comer. Wynne,Sean Kelly,Michael Daly are very much as good if not better than Armstrong,Sweeney,Kyne.

Out of the top 20 players we'd consider for match day time later in the summer, we're without 11 by my count. Kyne, Silke, Molloy, Wall, McDaid, Conroy, Cooke, Brannigan, Kelly, Comer & Burke. While they're not all certain starters, it's half a panel by any metric and the latter two named are our 2 best players. Shane Walsh is a big doubt also. There's no point downplaying it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Out of the top 20 players we'd consider for match day time later in the summer, we're without 11 by my count. Kyne, Silke, Molloy, Wall, McDaid, Conroy, Cooke, Brannigan, Kelly, Comer & Burke. While they're not all certain starters, it's half a panel by any metric and the latter two named are our 2 best players. Shane Walsh is a big doubt also. There's no point downplaying it

Silke,Burke,Kelly,McDaid,Cooke have all played in league for Galway this year and for all we know they could play a part this Saturday night. As i have pointed out already Galway are still fielding a strong and experienced starting 15 so no need to overplay the absentees either. Mayo will be missing two of their best and most important players on Saturday night in C O'Connor,T Parsons and P Durcan is a big doubt also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

spurshero wrote: »
    In all fairness Kerry are after winning 5 all Ireland minors in a row . It has to start showing at some stage . Not sure Walsh will change at this stage . I have defended him a lot but the ball is to slow going forward of that there is no doubt ..having said all that for all the talk of the great forwards we have they need to up there Game scoring wise as well

Kerry won them but we were close in a few and have had some great years at minor. I wouldn't discount a team just because they last the final by a few points. We still had good lads like Sean Andy and kelly come through.

Silke,Burke,Kelly,McDaid,Cooke have all played in league for Galway this year and for all we know they could play a part this Saturday night. As i have pointed out already Galway are still fielding a strong and experienced starting 15 so no need to overplay the absentees either. Mayo will be missing two of their best and most important players on Saturday night in C O'Connor,T Parsons and P Durcan is a big doubt also.

McDaids out long term and I severely doubt the Corofin lads will be playing. Add in Power, Farragher, Leonard and Varley to the 11 I named and I'd rather have our "absentee 15" on the field than the ones that'll play Saturday. I think it shows great depth that we'll have an outside chance Saturday but we really have to temper expectations for this weekend imo, the game was going to be hard enough to begin with given Mayo's motivation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Do you remember where Galway was before Kevin Walsh arrived?

Galway staying up in Div one would be more progress. It took Galway 7 years to get back to the top division. A repeat of AI semi final appearance will likely be a set target this summer if its achieved it will prove Galway have reached a level of consistency and without doubt have become a top 4 team under Walsh.

Debatable if Kerry have have overtook Galway, on league placing this spring yes but last Sunday Kerry only beat Galway by 1 point in a game that could have gone either way. That game went as i expected even though Threeball on the live TV thread thought Kerry would have a handy enough win.

Kerry's improvement will be judged on championship form and last summer they failed to get out of the super 8s group which included a defeat to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

spurshero wrote: »

Bit of a chicken and egg situation. Is the forwards not scoring enough because they are not as good as we think or because it's impossible to look good in Kevin Walsh's system where there might only be 2 or 3 forwards left up the pitch and the ball is taking forever to get up to them?

Personally I think it's the latter more than the former.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Point of this is as Galway fans we believe we have players coming through that will improve both the team and squad. It's not saying the players currently playing were plucked from junior c team but simply when those injured/Corofin players return our team will be better than the 2018 version. Like saying your 00 Toyota is as good as a 191 Audi. 00 Toyota may never md let you down but the Audi will hopefully be a improved machine.

Do you remember where Galway was before Kevin Walsh arrived?

Galway staying up in Div one would be more progress. It took Galway 7 years to get back to the top division. A repeat of AI semi final appearance will likely be a set target this summer if its achieved it will prove Galway have reached a level of consistency and without doubt have become a top 4 team under Walsh.

Debatable if Kerry have have overtook Galway, on league placing this spring yes but last Sunday Kerry only beat Galway by 1 point in a game that could have gone either way. That game went as i expected even though Threeball on the live TV thread thought Kerry would have a handy enough win.

Kerry's improvement will be judged on championship form and last summer they failed to get out of the super 8s group which included a defeat to Galway.

If Galway's improvement is to be judged on championship form, then it doesn't hold up. As I've said, all our final beatings under KW have been heavy, and last year's was the first semi-final he made. I really want to see KW being successful but, a bit like Labour under Jeremy Corbyn, does anyone realistically think he will be the man to lead us to glory?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭westcork67

Bit of a chicken and egg situation. Is the forwards not scoring enough because they are not as good as we think or because it's impossible to look good in Kevin Walsh's system where there might only be 2 or 3 forwards left up the pitch and the ball is taking forever to get up to them?

Personally I think it's the latter more than the former.

Between going to games since FBD and/or watching on TV, our forwards are top of the list in terms of missing goal chances - they were there to take the chance so they need to start living up to their reputations and putting away the chances that are being created - three clear cut chances in one half alone the last day, one of which was already up there as miss of the season (S.Kelly)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

It's hard to know what donaghy will bring to galway - it's obviously not going to be tactics or forward interplay (something we need to brush up on tbh) but if he was able to motivate lads to play better then it'll be a bonus.

I'll reserve judgement on it for the moment tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

If Galway's improvement is to be judged on championship form, then it doesn't hold up. As I've said, all our final beatings under KW have been heavy, and last year's was the first semi-final he made. I really want to see KW being successful but, a bit like Labour under Jeremy Corbyn, does anyone realistically think he will be the man to lead us to glory?

The improvement Galway have made since 2009-2014 does hold up and Galway had plenty of Jeremy Corbyn type managers before Walsh arrived who couldn't get Galway out of Div 2 (led them down their to begin with) win a Connacht title or lead them to AI semi final.

Glory i presume you are on about winning the All Ireland? just the small matter of Dublin who are one of the best ever teams to topple and they are a bit higher in quality than what Galway had to beat in 1998 and 2001 lets be fair.

westcork67 wrote: »
    Between going to games since FBD and/or watching on TV, our forwards are top of the list in terms of missing goal chances - they were there to take the chance so they need to start living up to their reputations and putting away the chances that are being created - three clear cut chances in one half alone the last day, one of which was already up there as miss of the season (S.Kelly)

Scoring and scoring goals in particular is a confidence game. When a team is flowing and the football throughout the pitch is fluid it seems you can't miss. When it's slow and laboured the goals get smaller and the goalie bigger. The best example of this is the drawn connaught final with roscommon a few years ago and the difference when the team attacked with purpose in the replay. Turgid sh1t the first day, followed by 3 goal of the season contenders in the replay, mainly down to a change in attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

threeball wrote: »
    Scoring and scoring goals in particular is a confidence game. When a team is flowing and the football throughout the pitch is fluid it seems you can't miss. When it's slow and laboured the goals get smaller and the goalie bigger. The best example of this is the drawn connaught final with roscommon a few years ago and the difference when the team attacked with purpose in the replay. Turgid sh1t the first day, followed by 3 goal of the season contenders in the replay, mainly down to a change in attitude.

That replay was more to do with Roscommon who dropped the mirrored defensive tactics of the drawn game for a more offensive style that left them wide open in defence. Fine finishes on the goals by Cummins,Sice but they were left in acres of space.

That replay was more to do with Roscommon who dropped the mirrored defensive tactics of the drawn game for a more offensive style that left them wide open in defence. Fine finishes on the goals by Cummins,Sice but they were left in acres of space.

Galway wouldn't have scored any of them if they hadn't thrown off the shackles and attacked with pace. All those goals involved transition at pace from defence to attack. The team flowed and so did the confidence. Galway could have sat back and played like they did in many other games and that game would have been a mind numbing 2 point win.

threeball wrote:
    Galway wouldn't have scored any of them if they hadn't thrown off the shackles and attacked with pace. All those goals involved transition at pace from defence to attack. The team flowed and so did the confidence. Galway could have sat back and played like they did in many other games and that game would have been a mind numbing 2 point win.

One of the goals involved our goalie running half the pitch and kicking the ball 40 million miles into the air.... don't think quick transition is how I would of classed that goal. Games go like that sometimes. Same as Donegal when we hammered them out the gate. Get a run on a team suddenly the defensive game plan is out the window. More the losing team attacks the more they are hammered on the counter. Dublin are masters at it. Hit early. Opposition teams plans are in tatters. Happened to Galway plenty of times too. Tipp and Roscommon being two most recent occasions. Think it was Tyson that said all plans and strategies are great.... till you get punched in the face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway team for Saturday evening named:

1. Ruairí Lavelle
    2. Eoghan Kerin
    3. Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh
    4. David Wynne
    5. Gary O Donnell
    6. Gareth Bradshaw
    7. Johnny Heaney
    8. Thomas Flynn
    9. Ciaran Duggan
    10. Michael Daly
    11. Johnny Duane
    12. Eamonn Brannigan
    13. Barry McHugh
    14. Pádraic Cunningham
    15. Antaine Ó Laoi

No sign of Shane Walsh. Did pick up a knock last weekend. Probably be a couple changes. They has been in every game so far.

One of the goals involved our goalie running half the pitch and kicking the ball 40 million miles into the air.... don't think quick transition is how I would of classed that goal. Games go like that sometimes. Same as Donegal when we hammered them out the gate. Get a run on a team suddenly the defensive game plan is out the window. More the losing team attacks the more they are hammered on the counter. Dublin are masters at it. Hit early. Opposition teams plans are in tatters. Happened to Galway plenty of times too. Tipp and Roscommon being two most recent occasions. Think it was Tyson that said all plans and strategies are great.... till you get punched in the face.

Well at least he was running, it's more than we do at the moment.
    You go on to say that Dublin are the masters at hitting teams early yet seem to argue that we shouldn't be doing the same, we should just stick to the gameplan and let the opposition stick to theirs. Funny kind of counter argument

Not much difference from our championship team apparently. :rolleyes: Looking forward to the Mayo giddiness at breaking the streak jacked up to the nines against a challenge side

threeball wrote:
    Well at least he was running, it's more than we do at the moment. You go on to say that Dublin are the masters at hitting teams early yet seem to argue that we shouldn't be doing the same, we should just stick to the gameplan and let the opposition stick to theirs. Funny kind of counter argument

threeball wrote:
    Well at least he was running, it's more than we do at the moment. You go on to say that Dublin are the masters at hitting teams early yet seem to argue that we shouldn't be doing the same, we should just stick to the gameplan and let the opposition stick to theirs. Funny kind of counter argument

I didn't argue anything. Nor make any reference to our style of play. I just don't believe any shackles came off in that game against Roscommon or in the hammering of Donegal. I just think it's lazy analysis by the media. Galway play well hammer a team. Shackles off. Galway win a tight game. Shackles on. They play the same way in every game. Just sometimes games goes massively in their favour. Like any team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Galway team for Saturday evening named:

1. Ruairí Lavelle
    2. Eoghan Kerin
    3. Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh
    4. David Wynne
    5. Gary O Donnell
    6. Gareth Bradshaw
    7. Johnny Heaney
    8. Thomas Flynn
    9. Ciaran Duggan
    10. Michael Daly
    11. Johnny Duane
    12. Eamonn Brannigan
    13. Barry McHugh
    14. Pádraic Cunningham
    15. Antaine Ó Laoi

No sign of Shane Walsh. Did pick up a knock last weekend. Probably be a couple changes. They has been in every game so far.

Walsh has a head injury. I assume that means concussion but haven't heard that for certain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Shane Moloney axed from Galway hurling squad.

http://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/296230

I'd like to take this moment to thank him for that point against Tipp in the 2015 semi, notable mentions to Canning's assist & the GBFM commentary in that moment also.

DVDM93 wrote: »

I'd like to take this moment to thank him for that point against Tipp in the 2015 semi, notable mentions to Canning's assist & the GBFM commentary in that moment also.

A seminal moment in our recent GAA history! I think lack of pace came against him a bit; both he and Brehony were among the standout minors in the 2011(?) team. Greg Lally's case has probably been superseded also by upcoming younger players. Shane Bannon and Joe Mooney gone as well, but more with a view for further strengthening and conditioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That point was an exceptional moment. The roar when Tannion wins the following puckout to end the contest is one of the best feelings I've ever had as a Galway supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

DVDM93 wrote: »

That was a brilliant moment - moloney even kept his cool while padraig Maher (I think) throws his hurling to put moloney off.

Very cool by canning before that - instead of taking a Gail Mary shot from 80 yards out, he had the composure to place moloney.

• Advertisement

4 blacks in two games, not a great disciplinary record. Attacking a bit better in the first 20 mins even with 2 lads off then completely back in to our shell for the last 10. O Laoi a lovely pass for the goal, next minute hes playing corner back. A position he is neither suited nor physically able to be.

If we just kept pushed up we'd be miles ahead. Mayo as usual have no forwards. Missing handy points and frees.

Advertisement