Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭Robson99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Sure if we had no hope we wouldn't bother following them at all!

Was this the last year of Joyces term? Or was it 4 years he signed up for? I can't imagine him going anywhere now regardless after this year performance! Interesting to see how he can push Galway further next year!

Think this was to be his last year....hopefully he gets another term to build on this and hopefully those out injured return and those who opted out can be enticed back. [ at least 5 between both ]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

There is alot of hope in your post there!!!😜

We so long listening to ye bucks every day a bit of it grows on you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Good chance mayo beat galway next season tbh. Durcan, odonoghue, conroy, oconnor, hennelly back fit. Possibly harrison also. Galway gk situation far from ideal. That is the thing with getting to finals, everyone knows you inside out next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Yes it's a big possibility. Galway were massive underrated and massive motivated against Mayo this year.

Wouldn't mind teams knowing how you play. Sur Galway and Kerry knew each other too from all the analysis but individual talent can win out, the ability to think on their feet. Hopefully Galway blood more forwards in the league.

One worry next year is what a loss in Connacht would do. Serious momentum this year from win after unexpected win. Losing in Connacht next year you'd hope wouldn't knock them back too much, cos there's a target on their backs now.

Can't wait for next year already.

Yes that is true. I kinda meant in the context of someone making a mistake in a final, or being put under pressure in a final, it seems to have a far bigger effect on them than if the same thing happened in a quarter final. I felt bad for your goalkeeper to be honest. If you look at hennelly, it probably took him a couple of years to come right again after his error in a final.

Peter Cooke would be a good addition for galway. Is he coming back next year?

If mayo get a good mgt in place and players back fully fit and firing, that could be a great match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Not clear yet really. He works for an American company based in Salthill but has been working in their San Fran office for the past couple of years. It seems to be fairly demanding work but I'd say he could be persuaded back, especially with Moycullen being there or there abouts in the county championship for the next few years.

Silke is a big loss and if the Comer rumour is true we're down two big players already for 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

I've watched the game back a good few times now and tbh Gleeson wasn't that bad atall really. It was more that he looked vulnerable to concede something more then anything. He screwed up on that short free kick and the kick out where a galway defender was inside the 21. He was 100% on short kick outs and his long kick outs weren't the worst either. OK he might have got a black card but he got away with it. And the 2 times he did come out he made damn sure he took man and ball or just man, but he didn't concede a goal was the important thing because that would surely have sunk Galways challenge there and then. With an all ireland final experience behind him and another year to get that kick out strategy ironed out more! He could develop to a damn good keeper. I dont know what height he is but he looks like a big man who just needs a little confidence under the high ball. A commanding full back in the air would really help him.

• Advertisement

Silke is travelling is it? Is comer rumoured to be doing the same?

Could just be the aftermath of losing a final also, loads of that stuff gets peddled from now until november! 99% never comes to fruition

Ya you are right to be fair, he didnt make any big blunders. I suppose the fact that the question mark was there and they went after him a bit. It was probably kelly moreso that was under pressure in there when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Ah twas in fairness. I think he knew his full back line was under pressure, that's way he was so quick off his line in an effort to help them out. The kicks are on him tho, but that happens to the best of them. The Goal keeping position had always been probably the most unforgiving position on the pitch and more so these days. 1 slip can cost your team a tight game. And you couldn't accuse Gleeson of that in fairness.

Gleeson in fairness has come on a bit I think since the Armagh match.

There were a few mistakes the last day and he came out and fouled the Kerry lads but it was hard to know at the time if a goal was on, Spillane could've hand passed across goal if someone was running in, Gleeson cut that off.

But considering how he was targeted and how much pressure the lad must have felt, there were no massive disasters that led to goals.

Suppose he kicked a free or kickout away to nobody in the first half but he didn't cause a goal. I felt sorry for him beforehand because Christ I wouldn't have slept for a week before the final considering how much he was going to be targeted, but hopefully he'll build on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

When Mayo get Conroy and O Donoghue back nothing will stop them. I can see them dominating the all Ireland until those two retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Gleeson's display wasn't that bad considering we all probably feared the worst, but, it wasn't great either, there was considerable unease anytime the ball went near him, that would have transferred to the team too, compare his display with the Kerry goalkeeper, I can't remember him making any mistakes that stick in the mind, didn't really notice him to be honest which is a good thing for a goalkeeper, I'll admit I was more interested in the Galway players performances than Kerry's so might well have missed any mistakes the Kerry goalkeeper made. It's definitely an area that needs improvement next year regardless who is in goal, that and a stronger bench is required.

The championship will be fairly open next year, Kerry aren't that far ahead and Dublin are in transition, we are as good as any other team around but, no guarantee that we'll get back to the final next year. There's not much between Galway, Mayo & Roscommon, anyone can beat the other on a given day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Gleeson done his best but his a bag of nerves in goal. He seems to read the game poorly(maybe from playing allot of soccer) he shouldn't have came out for the 2 frees he gave away, put our backs under pressure with a misplaced pass inside the 13 yard line and isn't decisive enough on kick outs.

There's not a lot for Gleeson to do for kickouts when we can't win our own ball. He definitely didn't try Patrick Kelly enough imo but Conroy was massacred in midfield, nobody else making any sort of decoy runs off the ball and when he has no options resorting to hit & hopes we win feckall 50/50's.

It'll be the same under Flaherty, Keane, whoever next year.

It blows my mind how many managers we've gone through that underestimate how important kickouts are.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Shame to see Walsh switching to Kilmacud. Obviously have to do what best for himself but it's sad to see for small teams

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I just got wind of this, apparently he's using his Hibernia enrollment as the reason for being in Dublin, even though it is an online college with the occasional 5 hours on a Saturday in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

He's after taking quite a slide down the popularity stakes in the space of 6 days

I feel immensely disappointed for Kilkerrin/Clonberne if this is true as it's a club with fantastic people involved despite the small population. I don't think they'll have much success contesting this but I hope they stand up for themselves.

As for the man himself he's a complex individual. All the talent and skill in the world but there's some amount of off-field stories where he comes off badly. You'd hope he reconsiders this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

I'd say Kilmacud came knocking with a blank cheque. Be hard for anyone to turn it down especially when Kilkerrin are struggling away in intermediate. Better than him heading off to Oz for Galway. No consolation to kilkerrin/Clonberne though. If he could do a couple of years with them then transfer back I think everyone would be happy with that outcome including himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Twas kept in the county but I remember the furore when MD moved from Dunmore to SalthillK in 2005 I think it was

Is that not worse, living in Knocknacarra is still commutable to dunmore or wherever they played matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I suppose 🤔I think Dunmore were promoted the year before too... In truth who can blame any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

What Shane does off the field is his own business and I think he has earned the respect of the Galway people to keep it that way instead of broadcasting it on a national forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I see over in the Mayo forum they are awful disappointed in him. Any opportunity to have a cut at him. They could never cope with him fairly on the field. I say fair play to him, he's given plenty to his club. This is obviously an opportunity for him and the club should let him go if he wants to go. If they are smart they will have him back in a few years if not he might not come back. You live once, I doubt he's worried what Mayo supporters think.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

Some of the same posters were defending shoes Vaughan when he left a club immediately after getting relegated to go to a rival 20 mins up the road. Not a fan of Walsh's move but at least he's given his lot to his club for over a decade and it's a new club a far way away

• Advertisement

I haven't watched the final back in full but from recollections of being at it and the clips I've watched, it seems pretty clean. Can't recall even an argument between the Galway and Kerry lads. Or did I miss something? I know there's players and pundits who think you won't win without cynicism, and Kerry fouled when they're turned over, but I can't even recall sledging going on or anything of the sort. If so, it's a breath of fresh air when the game was so tight but had so many scores from play too.

Advertisement