Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

A disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Time to shift Joyce and put cian o Neil in charge.

I wouldn't go that far, we were missing 4 good forwards and it showed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Hurlers put in a decent performance when the subs came on. I thought the majority of the new lads were very poor and won't be adding much come the championship. Flynn was very poor as usual. There has to be more lads out there that not alone offer a better scoring return but also a better workrate. Niland not reliable enough off the dead ball either. A win, but against a poor wexford team, I couldn't see us beating Cork without bringing back a good few of the old reliables but that doesn't address our lack of strength in depth.

The footballers are up against it now. They need a win in Tuam the next day or its looking like a relegation dogfight and without two of our main scoring threats. We're back to not being able to close out games, throwing away a win against Mayo and turning a chance to win into a loss against Roscommon. Armagh will be gunning for us, Kerry will beat us, Donegal and Monaghan are always bogey teams for us. Its looking increasingly likely we'll end up back in D2.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 laymansterms

That's some fall to go from Connacht champions and all Ireland finalists to wanting him out after 2 league games.

I will say though that he made changes in the 2nd half like he thought the game was won and it backfired badly. Tuam in 2 weeks is a big game now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 laymansterms

That rossie goalie Conor Carroll really showed us what we are missing. He is composed under the high ball, good distribution n gives them an extra man when they are in possession.

Oh yeah, and he is from Oranmore!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

Talk of a comer cruciate if that’s true it’s massive ….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Where you hearing that? Hope it's not true.

I doubt we'll win connaught this year, never mind an all ireland. Comer is a huge loss, Finnerty is a loss too and we don't seem to have anyone putting their hand up to add depth. It actually looks like we'll be significantly weaker than last year.

How is that allowed to happen. Its blatantly obvious that one of our weakest links for years was finding a reliable goalie and this guy ends up in Roscommon.

Where has Flaherty gone too. He's not ever listed on the match day panel this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

I've said it before on this thread, but how does Flynn continue to make the panel much less start? Like at what point has he exhausted all his chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Looks like the footballers will be down 3 players that started last year's All-Ireland final before a ball is even kicked in the championship. They were lucky with injuries last year. Everyone was available more or less. Very different this year unfortunately and it will probably cost Galway any realistic chance of competing for Sam this year. Comer is pretty much irreplaceable for what he offers the team. And I don't see many of the back up forward options putting their hands up so far.

He has to have one of the poorest scoring returns per game of anyone at IC if you take his frees out of it. That goal chance he missed Sunday would make a junior C manager sick never mind to do that at the highest level. There's no doubt he's very talented but he doesn't deliver and I'd much rather try someone else than constantly be disappointed with the result of playing him.

Carrolls parents are staunch rossies I believe, and from what I've heard Flaherty doesn't want to be involved this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

His father is brother of the Roscommon county board chairman.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They are but he would have played for Galway had they shown any interest. They didn't so he moved on. Best of luck to him.

Galway have had a few good underage keepers recently. Haslam was very good a few years ago. Flaherty obviously but he's made himself unavailable this year. Gilmore very good for the minors last year. Excellent kick outs. Just not seeing them break through onto the seniors yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mjp

I noted James Keane form barna who was sub goalie in all Ireland last year in the stand watching the game and surprised that he not involved this year. Thought he would have seen game time in fbd atleast as league was over by time he was involved in setup last year after Flaherty's injury in last league game. Anyone know if kilconlys Niall Daly is injured or has be been dropped. Featured a lot during league last year.

One thing I picked up on yesterday and stayed with me involved comers unfortunate injury. There was huge gasps from the crowd as he went down as was clear he was in a lot of discomfort. He got a big applause from the Galway and Roscommon crowd as he was carried off on stetcher as people wondering whether we will see him Ina galway jersey again this year and he was clearly upset. Roscommon manager Davy Burke and selector mark mc Hugh made their way over to him and had few words of consolation for him as he was carried up the sideline but was noticeable that not one member of Galway management setup came near him to check on him and he continued to make his way into dressing room. Thought the least PJ could have done was to come have two words with his talisman.

It's only something small but struck a chord with me how different the two reactions were.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

It might have been a case of not wanting to draw too much attention to the injury as photographers are waiting for a picture and it might not help the team to see the manager acknowledge a bad injury at that time of the match. I think that happened at half time when they got in and got feedback on it and it definitely effected the second half preformance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Niall Daly was in a boot for a FBD game against Leitrim. Patrick Kelly has a back injury. Rob Finnerty has ankle ligament injury 4-6 weeks. Shane Walsh abroad travelling. Tomo Culhane still sidelined. Comer now added to list...... going to be a long league.....

Post edited by Happyilylost on

Sooner we get Shane Walsh back the better or else could be back in division 2 next year. Seriously light on scoring forwards and hard see where scores are going to come from especially with teams setting up so defensively this year. 5 points should see us safe and would expect to see Donegal and Monaghan be near the bottom for relegation. With such a short break to championship Joyce won't want to rush any of those players back for fear or a reoccurence of injury and hamper their championship prep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Missing Comer, Silke, Molloy, Rob Finnerty, Patrick Kelly for the remainder and missing Walsh for the majority of the League is an absolute death knell for our survival chances sadly imo. Thought we had too many lads looking around for leadership in the second half like Heaney and Daly rather than stepping up when the Rossies started turning the screws.

Realistically we probably need 3 wins from some very tough away trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Comers injury unfortunately looked serious enough to be season ending. If so we may as well right off any All Ireland final appearance, even semi final.

Got very lucky with injuries last year. This year looks jinxed.

So far the lads who have played well in the club championship in the last few years, like finnerty from MM, conneelly from moycullen, aren't stepping up to the next level. It's good they'll get more games and exposure now. But if they don't step up in the next few weeks, then we'll have no new forwards that we were wishing we had in the All Ireland final. I'd be writing off the championship then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

And there was me naive enough to believe that Walsh is a full time student

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Hopefully his All Ireland medal made it through security at the airport so he can go Country to Country Irish Pub to Irish Pub getting his 10k appearance fee in each one before coming home to deposit it into Anglo Irish.

Maybe he just needed a holiday like the rest of us.

Must be a mere coincidence that Shane posted a pic with his girlfriend in Israel of all places and this post is online over past few days. Doesnt reflect well on him if so. Suppose it's hard to pass up on a free holiday irrespective of your morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Looks like CLG Oileáin Árann might be struggling to get numbers.

Christ we are really in the gutter here alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

2 photos I took from the Roscommon game.

Roscommon number 8 isn't fully in focus but I still like the photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Great news about Comer if he'll be back for the championship.

If the other forwards could step up now and if we get Comer back, we could still be in good shape for the summer.

Advertisement