Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Good to see Damo and Jack Glynn on the bench also. Patrick Kelly will start slipping down the pecking order I feel unless he finds a turn-around in form. Should bring a good home crowd for the final league game anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Gleeson injured? seems strange to be not even on the bench this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Moving well today. Defending is exceptional. Look a different team with Power in goals. Less sketchy when a ball drops inside the 21. Far better to get away on restarts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Test of stamina this one.. Good man Conroy👍👍Backs playin well as a unit, Maher too impressive

An awful crowd out on the pitch there at half time 🤔

• Advertisement

After today there should be no question over who should be our first choice keeper. Power is head and shoulders above Gleeson at pretty much everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Backs were exceptional. Comer has a bit of catching up to do fitness wise but we’re shaping up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yes, very nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Huge credit to Dylan McHugh for that brilliant block in the second half. That was a massive moment in the game.

A very good League considering we had no Walsh for most of it and Comer missed 3 matches. You could make a fair argument that they should've won every match in the group in spite of those two key players being out. I'd be delighted with a League win but the extra game to sharpen up lads is crucial. I'd say Mayo will naturally want to focus on Rossies so if they might rest a few players. You can never win enough silverware, especially with so many young lads on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I thought twas great to see but also madness, till the PA announced over the system that the Kerry subs had to get off the pitch because it was for the children only.

• Advertisement

Great to let the young girls and lads out for a run at half time, they are the future after all , but it's abused at times.. The pitch was black with people at half time with another 35 mins to be played.. no respect for the turf

Given the weather of the last two weeks they should have made an announcement before the match and coming up to halftime to refrain from entering the pitch on this occasion. Madness to do that to a pitch given the water it had to soak recently.

Best display I've seen from the team so far. Defence looked extremely solid whilst avoiding the park the bus look. The transition to attack was great. Fluid and energetic. And the game management when they were 4 up around 70mins was great to see. Especially in a game that had been end to end up to then. Very easy to get drawn into continuing to attack relentlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Great to get the win yesterday. A game I felt we needed to win. Some lads like Comer, Finnerty, Shane and Culhane from a forwards perspective haven't a lot of ball played in the last few months. Another high intensity game will continue their return to peak fitness/sharpness.

Best thing I find now is the competition for places. Nailed on starters:

Sean Kelly, John Daly, Dylan McHugh, Mattie Tierney, Johnny Heaney and Shane Walsh. Despite the quality I haven't put on this list it is because of the competition the have over their shoulder.

Some might say well if Comer is fit he plays but when you see Finnerty and Tomo yesterday. One chance. Pull the trigger and point. We have plenty of options. Fitzgerald and McGrath have been excellent last two games so I don't believe Jack Glynn or when he returns Eoghan Kelly are waltzing back into the team.

Hernon, Daniel O Flaherty, Sweeney all extra options around half back line.

Middle third of Conroy, Maher (fantastic yesterday) Cooke, Tierney, Heaney Paul Kelly and the likes of McDaid and potentially James McLaughlin to return.

Inside with Shane, Damo, Finnerty, Culhane and hopefully an on song Ian Burke.

Fair play to Power. Talk about seizing an opportunity.

Management were very cute yesterday. Letting Kerry have their kickouts meant we had oceans of time to set up in front of Clifford. Subs all made an impact.

Joyce isn't one for losing and he will target next week with everything he has at his disposal. We (as fans) may hide behind Championship being the only game in town but I've a feeling what we show next weekend is 90% of what we have. Hopefully it's enough.

I believe it will be.

We have the plus of a couple of weeks over mayo after Sunday, great all round display, was surprised to see Comer come in so early, small risk but the physios know best,backs were disciplined and tenacious working as a unit, Fitzgerald did an awful lot of running off the ball, Maher impressed a good strong lad who can take a point,Tierney gaining in confidence, o shea should have been black carded, great to see a bit of competition for the goalkeeping berth😉 that's good too

True. And a thing that stood out from watching on was the potential damage to the goals or nets. Kids were hanging off them all through half time. Could massively delay a second half starting if a net had to be repaired. Was too much of a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Conroy is a guaranteed starter tbf & so is McDaid when he's fit.

No I agree. I think 3 or 4 more are definitely starters too. I more mean the competition for places is strong enough that if a lot of these players aren't performing management have the players to replace them with and hopefully there is not a huge drop in standard. This spreads quickly. Training becomes more intense as players are really fighting for places rather than knowing barring injury they are togging out in the next match. Getting into the 26 will be difficult for some rather than the first 15.

Great options alright across the panel looking at the good posts above.

It looks like we have more cover in the corner and wing back spots than elsewhere.

I'm still a bit worried about cover for our full and centre back spots. We didn't try anyone else there in the league.

I hate this new championship format just purely for effectively bringing back the super 8 format that I thought nobody liked. Too many matches before the quarter final and there's no advantage to winning Connacht for a division 1 team.

But primarily I'd be worried about extra games = possible injury to Sean Kelly or Daly.

We don't have crazy depth in the forwards especially with my jury still being out on Ian Burke. But I think Sweeney has shown he can cover so many positions. He's so direct and has taken on the Tyrone and Armagh defences with strong direct runs that he scored from.

Looking forward to Sunday. I think we're motoring very well.

Delighted too for Maher. Had a great game against Kerry and got a big hug from Cian o Neill when he came off.

The team for Sunday 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Not our best 15 by any means, Power unlucky, would like to see jack Glynn in for Fitzgerald, not sold on Maher, croke park might be too much for him v mayo. Great bench, should be able to solve any problems as they arise, infact will probally strengthen the team as the game goes on. Just hope Mayo don't get off to a good start then we will be on the back foot. Mcdaid a big loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Surprised to see Gleeson back in. Is that Mayo’s strongest 15? Looks like it is.

Random. Give a lad a chance to stake a claim for his place. He knocks it out of the park and doesn't retain his spot.......

So young footballer of the year, nominated player of the year, and Comer not starting. Team is strong either way. Fitzgerald, McGrath and Hernon have done well enough to retain their spots and obviously we have plenty to swing from the bench now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

It's not their strongest 15 to be fair. 6 starters haven't been named to start.

Rob Hennelly, Padraic O'Hora, Enda Hession, Eoughan McLoughlin, Cillian O'Connor, and Tommy Conroy would arguably be in the starting 15 if fully fit.

Bar Enda Hession I don't see any of those getting their spot back against Roscommon. All bar Hession and possibly O' Connor won't be in the 26 so not sure you can state its not close to the best Mayo 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Possibly not but the other poster asked was it Mayo's strongest 15. It isn't.

Most of them lads won't start against the Rossies but that's only because they're either injured or don't have enough games behind them.

There is no way for example Tommy Conroy isn't part of the strongest Mayo 15.

Anyway it should be a good game. Both teams will want to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

I'd expect at least 14 (Hession if fit will start) of the Mayo published team to start against Roscommon on April 9th. Will likely be All Ireland group stage before Tommy Conroy works his way back into the starting team I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Rob and Padraic looked well off the pace against Monaghan last Sunday. Not sure on the injury situation with Hession is talked that he might return to the bench Sunday. McLoughlin is injury prone and will do well to be starting 15 this year. O'Connor,Conroy was used as impact subs during the league with the first choice full forward line O'Donoghue,Carr,A O'Shea I don't think that will change for the upcoming Connacht championship

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mjp

Gleeson must have something on Joyce way he perseveres with him. Was clear from last year's championship campaign that goalie was area to look at and see if have any better options. Joyce has refused to acknowledge this and hasn't given or tried any other keeper all season. Say he had it in his head to give likes of Power and others players he sees as squad players a run out in last match if guaranteed safety but he obviously had his mind made up irrespective of performance that he's sticking with gleeson.

No matter what improvements we make outfield I still can't see us winning an all Ireland with him playing as he lacks the temperament in the big occasions.

Any word on the two Moycullen defenders Eoghan Kelly and Mulcahy. Know mulcahy had surgery but didn't hear what Kelly's injury was?

Madness going back to Gleeson after Powers display last Sunday. Mayo are going to press and we've gone back to a goalie who dithers on every kickout and can't deliver it 20m accurately. For a team that's building nicely it's a very obvious weak link in the chain that will give way once the pressure comes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

Small problem with announcements. I was in the Ennis Road Ground last Sat Night and we were told more than once, over the Public Address, not to enter the pitch The Kids, from both counties, took absolutely no notice of this, were lined up along the wire along the sideline, I'm their droves, long before the end and actually invaded the pitch before the final whistle blew. It was actually heart warming to see.

Advertisement