Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Agree with this regarding Finnerty, but as others have said, Joyce might be making a tactical move here, and ironically planning on ending the game with his best 15 on the pitch.

The constant changing of the goal keepers seems odd.... but there could be all kinds of reasons behind it, again maybe a tactic (opposition will be closely studying goal keeper weaknesses and kick out strategy etc.) soo it's a nice position to be in and able to switch goalkeeper. Joyce stated Gleeson is no. 1, but maybe he is carrying a niggle and can't always start. Personally I think both are decent but neither of them is exceptional soo they are basically interchangeable and I think Joyce (deep down) probably feels the same

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Powers restarts are miles ahead of Gleeson. And I'm talking in the region of 4 times quicker. Not just marginally. He's also much better at picking a made at short and middle distance. Gleeson has a slight advantage on distance when smashing it long but that should be less than twice per game if we were set up correctly.

Joyce phrased it very badly saying it wasn't a tough choice for him. You should never make a player feel he's inferior. It never makes for happy campers.

Hurlers are still all over the shop. Wexford are a mess and we still struggled to put any pattern of play together. Still smashing 50/50 balls into a FF line not designed to win high ball and still hitting puckouts to highly contested areas. There needs to be significant changes if we're to beat KK, never mind Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

You'd never think it looking at the Saturday game with the praise they're getting. I thought Tyrrell and Cusack would dish out some criticism, they're not afraid of it.

I can't see those issues you mentioned being fixed. They were big issues last year and if it hasn't been improved all winter and spring, it won't be fixed now.

I noticed Galway tackling a lot with the spare hand. It's endemic in hurling but if refs decide to clamp down on it and Limerick, we'd want to get it out of lads heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Wexford looked a long way off what they were a few years ago. I know they'd injuries but after the start they got then you'd have at least expected them to make Galway work a bit for the win. I think it's the 42s headline that describes it as Galway easing to the win and that sums it up really.

• Advertisement

I pay no heed to pundits on the likes of the Sunday game. The winners did everything right, the losers did everything wrong is usually the level of analysis. No real looking at a teams weaknesses which will cost them later. And ours have been evident for months now. Too late to fix them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Was hoping for a dry day. Heavy shower just passed but skies look clear for now. Breeze doesn't look overly significant blowing a bit across the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Good man…. You are in a suburb of Kuala-Lumpur are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

We're miles better than the Rossies.

Need the scoreboard to show it some more though.

Correct…. Should have this game out out sight by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

3 points from 3 frees for the Rossies, a lot of play to come though✊

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Solid win, we were good value for it.

Took us a while to figure what to do when the Rossies pushed up on the kick outs so definitely something to work on, I;d say some teams will try that from the get go.

Some stupid stuff from Walsh with a crossfield high ball to no one and to a lesser extent Sean Kelly going for the goal when a point would have put us 4 up.

Comer absolutely superb.

Keegan gives man of the match to murtagh 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Poor decision, you would have thought he might try and draw a free but there was little chance of that with Gough, probally felt he had to get rid of it, needed help to come to him. A wide would have been a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kemboi

They should have sent them two clowns to Thurles to watch the hurling, Comer man of the match by an absolute mile, keegan had no bias there and the other lad worse to be announcing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Good win in the end but made very hard work of it. First half was generally good except for the pockets of space we were leaving free for Roscommon on kickouts but we rectified that.

The start to the 2nd half was disappointing. After going 5 up we totally lost our way and a better team would have buried us during that spell.

We regained the initiative and got the break with the goal and that should have been it but still Roscommon had enough chances if they showed a bit of composure.

When we were good we looked compact and were able to attack at pace but spells like the 15 minutes after ht and another spell after the goal worry me. Roscommon is always a tough challenge to shake off but top teams close the door in games like that.

Lots of strong performers and lads that are growing with each game. Pleased for Ian Burke to take his chance after coming back in and Maher has surpassed my expectations for him but the form of Conroy would worry me.

Walsh hasn't really looked up to the pace since coming back and that turnover late on was exactly the same as Armagh. For a senior player that was poor. It wasnt his sort of game but even so we'll need more from him when the real stuff starts.

I think Power did enough to hold his spot moving forward but it's still a problem position. One horrendous short kick out during our bad spell that the TV missed and another silly bit of play where we boxed ourselves in were the downsides but the kickouts were generally good and we didn't look like we'd have a meltdown when the high balls went in so hopefully Joyce sticks with him for now and we work on eliminating those needless errors.

For the hurlers the win gives them a bit of leeway in terms of qualification with Dublin only drawing. Wexford were minus a couple of key players but even so were very poor. If i was Antrim id be optimistic of a shock next weekend on yesterday's evidence. Again like the footballers in typical Galway fashion we let them back into a game we were in control of. Lucky McDonald's penalty was so poor. Hard to see us being contenders but next Sunday will be a good test of where we are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Lee ? wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

It's rare enough that both Comer and Walsh play well in the same game. For example Last year's All Ireland semi final it was Comer the start forward and Shane Walsh off colour it was opposite for the All Ireland final. For all the other good forwards Galway have those two are still main elite forwards who time after time are the match winners for Galway in the championship. Both aged 30 or close to it now? big boots to fill in the years ahead when they move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I preferred when cora staunton was RTE's go-to pundit for Galway games.

• Advertisement

Nice to see the referee penalising the overcarrying into the tackle a bit.

Didnt get them all but got more than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Stewball

I don't see why RTE don't get Sean Og De Paor on for Galway games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Lads wonder why David Connors is gone off Twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

Was he not caught in that Shane Hannon and Kellie Harrington spat a month ago.

The same person went through his tweets and he said a few things which shall we say is not acceptable in 2023. I don't remember what exactly he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

He's a great man for deleting tweets. Even a small enough time journalist/reporter like himself would do well to not get roped in to silly arguments over Man U/Liverpool.

Shame too because he's a breath of fresh air in that he isn't a lick-arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

A provincial U-20 QF and the county board can't even get somebody to give live updates for it. Absolute jokseshop social media coverage as always. If it's not on TV you're **** outta luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

It was live on the TG4 YouTube channel. Too late now though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Is Liam Collins injured, didn't line out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭donnem33

Collins is named on the senior panel for tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

So I since discovered. The under 20s could have done with him.

Advertisement