Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

In all honesty bar that late comeback that almost covered up the craters of issues, we don't have the defense in place to consider ourselves a top team. 6 goals conceded in 2 games and I honestly believe at least 4 of those were from our own incompetence, to be brutally honest. We don't have a great panel but there's a few lads like Conor Cooney, Fintan Burke and Padraic Mannion that we really can't continue to start given their form in the past few games. If that means Flynn or Collins have to come in for Conor then so be it. We badly need a reshuffle because these lads aren't looking like they'll play themselves back into form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

McInerney is a far bigger liability that Mannion. Mannion is a much better hurler, man marker and has more pace than either McInerney or Fintan Burke. Mannion done very well on Cody yesterday considering how open our defence was

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Mannion did alright but was turned too easily at times and then was well beaten for pace.

If, big if, we beat Tipp then I can't see us running Limerick close again. We've no area of the field that's firing where Shefflin could say that's fine, I'll focus on just the backs. Every line of the team is leaking oil in a big big way.

Fintan Burke got beaten all ends up yesterday in the air, down low too. Stick Hegarty back in there and he'll do what Walsh did. I can almost see it now where Hegarty is championed afterwards for coming back into form at just the right time because he scored 1-6 against us.....

Anyway, beating Tipp is the first hurdle and it'll be a struggle.

I think Mannion was roasted tbh. Cody is such a smart player than he wouldn't be afraid to spread it to a better positioned Kilkenny player so wouldn't take any notice of him only scoring 3 points. I'm not defending Gmac either but Mannion barely put a step in the right direction in the second half. He's a naturally gifted hurler but so is Conor Cooney. You can't hope they play themselves into form anymore. It's do or die hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We won't have to worry about Limerick, because there's little hope of this Galway team beating Tipp. How they didn't clear that last ball I'll never know, never seen the likes of it before, absolutely atrocious. Conor Cooney needs to be dropped, hasn't done it at this level in ages, but, keeps getting picked, the alternatives can't be as ineffectual. A lot of problems for this Galway team and Shefflin isn't doing a great job with them, haven't beaten anyone of note in a match that matters in a good while, we are well back in the pecking order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

That was such a strange game to watch. First 10 minutes I thought we would blow them away and win at a canter. First 10 minutes of the 2nd half I thought they would (and indeed were) blow us away and win at a canter. Felt every score we got was hard got (KEvin Cooney had a couple of super scores out by the sideline) whereas they were coming straight up the middle against us unchallenged and tapping the over.

We never got to grips with Walter Walsh. Not sure where either midfield was too. Henry was outmanaged tactically by Lyng, once Lyng figured out what we were up to after 10 mins he changed it and we were probably second best throughout then. I've continually been critical of Eanna Murphy and I will be here again, he was poor for 3 out of the 4 goals. Made 1 good save.

You'd expect experienced lads like Mac, Daithi and latterly Mannion to have better smarts in the corner with 20 seconds left. Throw it out for a sideline or a 65, reset the defence and back yourself - they basically would have had 1 shot at it. Mannion kicking the ball away... like lie on it even. Exasperating stuff.

Either way I don't think we have anywhere near what would be needed to give the AI a good shot, we're carrying a couple of lads who are over the hill (Conor Cooney, arguably GMac) and the young lads aren't stepping up. Yesterday was an ideal day for Concannon to put in a performance but he was bullied off the ball and had several poor touches, he did score a nice point but you need more than that. Conor Whelan carrying the attack - made Flynn's goal as well as his own very well taken one.

Ultimately against Tipp, or if we make it to Limerick, they'll double Whelan, start pulling our corner backs out the field and expose the lack of pace in our spine. We won't have an answer. I haven't seen anything from Shefflin to indicate he can win a game where he's managing the underdog. Probably because he hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

tipp are no great shakes either. Tipp always seem to bring the best out of galway. Yesterday was disappointed, i think shefflin got it wrong with going man on man and mac being pulled all over the place leaving loads of space in the back line. If Shefflin is going to stay on next year, he needs to start giving the young lads a chance and move on from underperforming players cause getting beat by tipp with the same team and same tactics will turn the hurling fans against him. the crowd was bad enough as it is yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Tipp have put in two solid performances against Limerick and Cork. We have put in none and bar the Limerick game last year we haven't put in and since Shefflin arrived. He has continually insisted on pumping long high ball in to our forwards and every team we have played has gobbled it up. We simply don't have the players to play that game. Conor Whelan got one decent low ball to open his account yesterday. Huw Lawlor cleaned him out for the next 10 high ones. Then he got two breaks which resulted in 1-1. It was the luck of the bounce rather than something that he created himself or that was created for him. This is symptomatic of the entire forward line.

Concannon can win high ball but he's better when its played in front or in to space, Niland wants it in front or into space, same for Cooney. You could count on one hand those players got that delivery yesterday. Aaron Gillane got more decent ball played into him than the entire Galway front 6.

The backs were open but its not surprising as they fight to put out one fire, clear it long and it comes back before they've even had a chance to check where their man is. Cooney and Monaghan are putting in a shift at midfield but they're guilty of never playing in quality 40 yard passes. Its pump it up in the sky or take a potshot from 70m. Monaghan is particularly guilty of it and either hits numerous wides or worse, drops it short.

But at the end of the day, the manager picks the style and much of what we see is on Shefflin. Yes they were atrocious in defending that final play but in reality, playing that KK team, weakened by injury, we should never have been in that position in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

The mad thing is that they would have really fancied their chance of making the final on the opposite side of the draw, Clare would be a toss up but better than Tipp followed by LK

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sporter1

Need to bring Daithi back to full back,they are leaking too many soft goals, you have C Mannion setting up play from his free role anyway, so put Daithi back where he won 4 all stars .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Good to see Rob Finnertys injury was nothing serious. McHugh back and McDaid released to his more natural midfield spot.

Be interesting to see do they switch Hernon and Kelly again as they did against Westmeath.

Cillian O Curraoin making his first panel this year I think.

Maher by all rights should be starting. I know McDaid is an All-Star but he still doesn't look fully right after his injuries in the League. That said I'll expect a serious impact off the bench akin to Westmeath if Maher is kept ashore for the first half.

Hernon and McGrath have taken their chance and will hopefully establish themselves further Sunday.

O'Neill is a massive loss for these so I'd hope for a strong showing and them to top the group. Molloy could be back on the bench for a Quarter Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

O'Curraoin was centre-forward for the U20s, yes? No harm to add more scoring power to the '26', if that is his strong point. Good to see McHugh back also.

I think the management are coming towards starting more and more their strongest 15, with a view to the later knockout matches. With Maher and Sweeney on the bench, the options off it are better again. If we could only coax better form from Finnerty again it would be a big bonus. It is also if you look at it quite a pacey team, which is always welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

in all fairness to joyce and co, they did a good job of manageing the loss of silke and molloy

Ya that's him. Has brought Sam O Neill in too from the U20s (tall midfielder). They were both standout on that team and have decent build for their age. Great to see to be honest. Puts plenty of pressure on everyone to even make a 26. I think he's still looking for that forward who can come on with 10 mins to go and cause opposition problems. Finnerty/Culhane and now O' Curraoin now have those spots it would seem. Hopefully when it comes tot he crunch one if not all could step up.

I think Tomo is still a couple of years off challenging for a starting spot judging by his contributions so far in 2023. I know he's still very young but at some point he needs to take the chances he's given if he wants to be anything more than a Paul Kelly/Dessie Conneely/Eoin Finnerty 'making up the numbers' intercounty forward. I'd love to see him notch up a few scores off the bench this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Great to see Kieran Molloy in action this evening, long road 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mjp

What's the story with Patrick Kelly. Thought he made return from injury towards tail end of the league but haven't seen anything of him since. Neil mulcahy who had surgery on wrist and Eoghan Kelly from moycullen were two players who stood out in first two league matches but haven't seen anything of them since. Wonder where they stand in the pecking order as looked at start of league to be possible replacements for Molloy and Silke. Joyce is probably going to try out o curraoin as he has physique for an u20 player to survive at senior level and likes of dessie have been given opportunities in past but hasn't been able make an impression off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

P.Kelly injured with a bad back and Eoghan Kelly got injured late in the league, heard he's grand again but obviously Fitzgerald and Mulkerrin are doing enough to keep him out. I assume Mulkerrin will get some minutes tomorrow, would be interesting to see where he's at. Tbh, I don't think there's an opening there anymore, Jonathan McGrath has really made the spot his own this year. Arguably our best performer thus far in championship

🤔..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

One of the worst penos I've seen. Basically passed it to the keeper. Kelly should've took the peno as well...

Keeper jumps the other way it's a great peno. Johnny Heaney was meant to take it not sure why he passes it to Walsh.

Rain has dropped and for the moment strong breeze has faded for Galway for the second half.

The most open I've seen us at the back in quite a while. Making for an entertaining game though.

Not sure what Ian Burke is bringing to this team. He's not scoring, he's not acting as a link, when he wins it in the inside line he brings it all the way out to the 45 before handing it off. We're effectively playing without a FF line as walsh is deep. Should maybe put Tierney in as a focal point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Where will Tipp v Galway be? Lim?

Terrible free taking from walsh today. Gone back to his highlight reel, sky it and spin it technique which fails as often as it works.

Costly loss.

Galway vs Mayo should be good next weekend 🙄

Walsh missed penalty... Another mark he should have scored though Cooke got a point out of it... Should have went with his instinct and went for the goal that time Rafferty's was way off his line... Last free was miles off, like someone whose head isn't in it... Walsh is missing something since that holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway made a complete balls of that today. Pretty much the worst result possible. Into 2nd with a tough game to come next weekend with Comer and Kelly carrying knocks when they could have had the week off. There was even some registration mix up beforehand so they couldn't even use Comer or McHugh off the bench.

That said Armagh got 2 of the softest frees you will ever see in the last few minutes there. Comically bad calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Going nowhere...... No leaders on that team.

Advertisement