Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

You can't beat having a weeks rest especially with the nature of the pitches at present. No chance to recover for whoever wins Sunday and likely there will be injuries or knocks after it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Yeah, I think if both teams had topped their groups, they'd have a decent shot at Sam but like you say, with 3 games on the bounce now, that's looking very unlikley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

Plus Dublin and Kerry had training sessions yesterday. Another big advantage to get the two hard games first in the group stages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Precisely. The doom will have cleared by mid week. It would have been a help to get a two week break, (injuries wise), but maybe the quick turnaound might work to our advantage (fix things that are broken, while the problems are still fresh in our heads).....don't the talking heads always say that players prefer games to training?

Soo we have Mayo in Salthill (a big ask, but not impossible), win that and we will be fired up for the QF*

* barring any major injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Why is it take we always fall on the wrong side of the line, we lose 1 match by a point and end up in probably the worst possible position, while Kerry were soundly beaten by Mayo yet still somehow finish top of the group, hurlers same way in 2019, the only possible result that could knock them out happened. Granted both the hurlers and footballers shouldn't have found themselves in a position of needing a favour from others, but, it never goes our way. Apparently one of the Westmeath points was actually wide ( could even have been the equaliser), that effectively knocked us off top spot.

Think we'll be out on the double next week, but, only have ourselves to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

Agreed, we have had some bad luck go against us but we should take luck out of it as much as possible. The last 2 weeks we have found stupid and stupider ways to lose games at the death. For the footballers, this game against Mayo will make them or break them. If they have designs on winning an All-Ireland, well it's time to turn up now. We've had players play well for 1 or 2 games this summer and below par for the others. Overall, it's been very unconvincing until now. Although no one team has stood out to date. The admin mess-up that meant that Comer and McHugh couldn't be listed as subs comes across as complacency on the management side and doesn't scream attention to detail and has put us in this position now. I think if we are without without Comer and Kelly for this one, I think that's us done to be honest. There doesn't seem to be too many leaders apart from Conroy and maybe McDaid. Overall with 3 young backs, 16 points conceded is not bad given a few soft frees but we need more up front. Without Comer there is no focal point. As one of the favourites, it would be a serious disappointment to go out before the quarter finals but that's the challenge now. Let's see if the team and management are up to it.

For the hurlers, I don't see any chance against Tipp. Too many off form, poorly coached with no clear plan and probably still in shock at the manner of the loss the last day. Going to be an early summer exit for us me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Also very pessimistic about being in either Championship after next weekend.

Inability to close out games costing us big time in both codes - we were 30 seconds from a semi final and quarter final respectively and couldn't get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭I see sheep

A win against Mayo would be a big morale boost and get us right back on track. Will be very difficult of course but I'm not a pessimistic as others.

We shouldn't fear any team in the 1/4s they're all beatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭threeball

The kickout issue has been well known for nearly 3 full seasons now and still not dealt with. Gleeson would be as well off pointing to the lad he's kicking too on a short one. He looks directly at them for a number of seconds before chipping in to their ankles so not only are they being closed down, they're also receiving the most horrible pass you can receive. The first kickout yesterday was heart in mouth stuff.

The less said about the Comer and McHugh situation the better. Probably over 500k being spent on team preparations and they can't even do the paperwork properly. Its not like the timelines were tight and it had to be lodged 2 days in advance. Then leaving Kelly on even though he couldn't even walk. It was complete amateur hour on the sideline from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭DK224

Galway v Mayo confirmed 3pm Sunday Pearse Stadium live on RTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

hurlers are on in limerick at 6.15 on saturday. if we can't put in 2 good performances against our arch rivals in both codes, we have no business talking about all irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Darksoul

Does the hurling in Limerick mean can anyone go see the 2 games played then?

Galway Vs Tipp

Dublin Vs Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

one things for sure Glesson would be no good at poker 😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Knowing the awful traveling support Galway fans bring in both codes there'll be plenty of tickets available so you should be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

What was the story with the paperwork I thought the lads were injured anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Apparently a medical report needs to be submitted in a certain time frame before throw in - which allows to bring in players from the reserve list. This medical report was apparently not submitted in time so they had to go with a panel of 24 rather than 26 when the 2 lads were withdrawn during the warmup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

It was announced over the speakers in Carrick that Comer wasn't playing and Dessie would be wearing 14........ not sure if that was the case or not but Dessie was definitely wearing 14 in the warm up. Was no mention of a replacement for Dylan McHugh

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

G Davoren was wearing no 5. It was a shambles of a day all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

Am I wrong or if Galway win, will this be the first time Galway will have put Mayo out of the championship in a knock-out game since the game in Castlebar in 1998 in John's O'Mahony's first championship game with Galway.

In '99 Mayo won the Connacht final, 2000 Sligo beat Mayo and from 2001 we had the qualifiers. Mayo beat Galway in the qualifiers and again in the championship in the covid-affected season so this would be the first time this century, Galway would directly put Mayo out of the championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭spurshero

Your prob right . But how many knockout games have we played v mayo since back door in 2001 where the loser was out . The one in limerick few years ago and the covid season where it was direct knockout . was there any others ?So it sounds a lot worse of a stat then it actually is .

Few changes. Linnane's performances off the bench last two games he has probably earned his shot. Wouldn't be surprised to see him and J. Cooney switch spots.

Cianan brings size to the half forward line. Still have faith these players have the talent to have a big say but after the Leinster Final its back to hope rather than reality.

Good to see Shane Cooney back on the bench after his injury problems.

Fintan Burke and Conor Cooney drop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭testtech05

Comer and Kelly named to start with Dylan McHugh on the bench for Sunday. Remains to be seen if any of them actually take part or how much of a part I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Medical cert to replace Kelly at the last minute? If he was using a moon boot and crutches 4 days ago how could he be 100%.

Comer hopefully starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

There she go's whether it's the same at 3 on Sunday, time will tell 🇱🇻👍

I think it may be a simple fact that as of tonight they may have no idea how fit any of these lads are 3 days out. It may be a fitness test the morning of that decides whether they play or not.

All I'll say is I would rather see lads fit than lads half fit playing. Beating Mayo to do more damage to injured players to get bet out the gate the following week is a nothing result. Beating Mayo is obviously the obstacle in front of Galway but Joyce I would feel wants an All Ireland and nothing else. Hopefully whatever teams start is to give us the best chance of an All Ireland and not just a victory on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Del Boy

Tickets up again on ticketmaster. Stand and terrace for Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Have a stand ticket for Sunday, never been in it before, what time does it start to fill up roughly? Hope to be there by 2

At least. It's a free for all so the earlier you get there, the better the seat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

Galway ones 10 mins beforehand. 70 percent of stand tickets are probably mayo fans though and they tend to queue up outside the gate before opening.

Wasn't there a game in Killarney in 2019 where Mayo fans packed out the stand 2 hours before throw in and Kerry fans came in perplexed the usual 15 mins beforehand having been in the pubs watching the other Super 8s group game that day. I'd rather go to the terrace and brave the rain

Advertisement