Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Avon8

Kerry in Croker in 2018 was similar odds to Saturday coming. Mayo in 2016 was bigger again, 5/1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭threeball

It's 70 years since we last beat Dublin in championship which is a really poor record. We don't beat them too often in the league either which to me points to a lack of belief. For a county with the football tradition we have and arguably a much stronger club scene we should be beating them far more than we actually do. So whether we really believe we can beat them is as big a question as can we beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Jizique

Between Taylor Swift and Pride, I would avoid the city entirely - it will be totally bedlam, bicycle the only option for the locals

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭DK224

There doesn't seem to be train tickets available online for Maynooth to Drumcondra tomorrow, is it just a matter of buying tickets at the station?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭christy c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Everybody named. Will have to see what lines out.....

Gueusing Cathal Sweeney is carrying a knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭MfMan

Yes. Some of the trains servicing this route may be inter-city and probably won't stop at these closer-in stations for the day that's in it. Other trains just terminate at Maynooth; tickets for these can be bought locally. Note, at Leixlip Louisa Bridge, if the office isn't manned, there are kiosks at the entrance to the station walkway selling tickets. These are usually so slow that by the time your turn comes, you would have walked all the way in anyway (or missed a couple of trains in the meantime). Sometimes, ahem, it's worth chancing getting aboard without a ticket, and buying a return in Drumcondra if you like. On a day like tomorrow, when there's large crowds using the service, most often they just wave passengers through without checking. Note also, if parking at Leixlip LB, make sure to pay the parking toll. They can and do take pleasure in clamping unpaid parkers. You may have to download and install the Apcoa parking app on your phone in advance and set up payment procedures on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Pity about Sweeney. Thought we'd need his energy and legs tomorrow in a big way.

That forward line is bloody good. Just a pity we're carrying injuries. I still think if Comer isn't certain about a full match I think he should be kept back to make sure he's there for the last 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 laymansterms

The biggest feeling I have looking at that team is: 'Imagine if they were all fit?'. It's an excellent team on paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭mjp

Have to echo the above's comments that there is definitely an All ireland in this team were we to keep all our main players fit which would give me hope for the next few years even if we weren't to win sunday. how man y more years we have left in conroy and jury is out whether Joyce is the man to get us there or is there any better option in the county which i would struggle to see.

Naming Comer is an interesting one and there is a lot of psychological stuff whether he name shim or not. Taking him out before throw in to bring him on would be a bit deflating pre game but if he planned to start him bringing him in as late change would be a big boost for galway. Irrespective what i think those in the squad know what will happen and Dublin will be on alert to expect him at some stage. Niall Daly into the 26 is a surprising one as feel he hasnt offered much to us over last two years as a scoring threat in forwards especially if Comer,Walsh and Finnerty wont make the 70 mins. Cillian O Curraion is a player who has got very little chances in championship when you consider how he fared during league with little support or experience around him. Would rather him as an option for the inside line if things weren't going our way and he could be a scoring threat as Tomo is the only man for inside line on bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭cosatron

i can see joyce pulling Shane walsh or damien Comer and dropping in John Daly or Kieran Molloy into the half back line midfield sector like he did against Mayo.

My read on that change in the Connacht final was to tag Paddy Durcan with Cathal Sweeney. But Durcan was dropped in the same announcement and Galway ended up with more half backs than anything else.

I'm expecting a big performance from the lads tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

If there was ever a time, Saturday evening 6 O clock is the time for Joyce to give Paudie's grain-a-rice speech 👊

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭threeball

Fit, I think, individually, we have a better 15 than anyone but unfortunately Dublin have a better team. They're well drilled, close out games very well or pull it out of the fire when they have to.

I dont think we're capable of the same against the better teams. We're also going to struggle on kickouts bar bombing it long and hoping we have more power in the centre. Going short would be hitting the self destruct button unless it's an absolute gimme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I've a ticket for The Hill today and can't attend, if anyone wants it pm me and I think i can transfer on ticketmaster with an email address.

I have bad memories of the last time we met in championship, I was in Lloret de Mar,and found an "Irish" bar to watch the match, around throwin time a few dubs came in with the same thing in mind... Anyway when the match started we asked the staff to turn off the boom-boom music, they refused point blank (they weren't Irish, they were Slovak) so we watched the whole friggin match with no commentary with boom boom dance music playing at a high volume, nasty experience never mind the result

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Best of luck to the lads today. They have a serious chance I reckon. Up the tribesmen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Up the tribesmen. So proud

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭testtech05

Unbelievable performance well done lads. I'll be honest I was hoping more than believing but they played unreal. Probably should have been a few more ahead coming down the stretch missed a few bad ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,445 ✭✭✭✭cson

Well I did not have overturning a 4 point halftime deficit to defeat Dublin on my bingo card!

Hon Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭C__MC

Galway deserved that. Well done PJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Wow. Great 2nd half. That's just made a good day even better! Congratulations lads

Well that was awesome. Hon galway

WHAT THE F**K DO YA THINK ABOUT THAT JOE BROLLY 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻!!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Trey13

Dub fan here, congrats Galway. Thought you were deserved winners. Shame that Walsh got injured, as he is some player when he's on it. Some of the individual performances were immense in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

What a **** result. Lads barely able to stand and dying with their boots on with 3 weekends back to back.

Massive congrats to PJ and the gang. I know McDaid got the MOTM but Mulkerrin coming back from a near career ending injury to batter the Dubs all game was a delight. Walsh was exceptional too.

They deserve a massive crowd for the semis now.

Maher aswell, completely took Fenton out of the game and shout out to D'Arcy for the point, where did that come from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

what a win !!!!!

That team got balls……Gaillimh Abu..,,,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Stewball

As said above. McDaid, Walsh, Maher & Mulkerrin were excellent. The were the standouts in an excellent team performance.

The lads coming off the bench too had a big impact - they really freshened things up, Hernon especially.

If someone said to me that Finnerty & Comer would be kept scoreless - I would have predicted a hammering for us.

Delighted for PJ and the lads - roll on the semi!!

Advertisement