Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭threeball

Can't see Donoghue being accepted by the Thomas's players after he throwing David Burke under the bus.

Davy isn't going to happen with or without JC. Davys time has gone and with all due respect to JC he has no experience on the managerial side of the fence bar as a selector at underage. I'm sure he knows that himself and won't be throwing his hat in the ring.

Lynskey isn't a realistic prospect either.

The hurling landscape is fairly devoid of proven managers. Whomever they choose will be a punt, but they at least need to be progressive in their playing style and willing to work with what they have rather than force a philosophy onto unsuitable players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Eamonn O'Shea.... he's already assistant manager to the Sheff and has managed Tipp previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

No surprise Shefflin is gone, made no real progress in his time, if anything we've gone backwards, whoever the new manager is ( hopefully not Eamonn O'Shea🤦🏼‍♀️), it's a long term project, we won't be seriously challenging for an AI in the next year or two, so take the time to build a new team with young hungry players, unfortunatly time has caught up with most of the 2017 AI, so most of them need to be let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Why isn’t Lynskey a realistic prospect?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mjp

Don't think Thomas's lads or burke will hold grudge against Donoghue for burke incident . It was the heat of battle and he was opposing manager and will do everything to get the win for his side. There's been lot worse done in club hurling by managers and fellow county panelists to players that they get over it. Johnny Glynn / Darren Morrissey springs to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

He's disliked by most of the current panel and recent retirees. There were also several players that refused to play for him at U-20. He rocked the boat a bit in his recent podcast appearance which wouldn't have done his chances much good.

Tactically he'd be no different to Henry either and he loved a two man FF-line. That style of hurling needs to be moved on from unless you've Gillane and Flanagan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

apparently he made life difficult for the S&C guru and it ended up in a situation where Lynskey’s u20s were being outperformed in the gym by the minors

• Registered Users Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭threeball

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

we need young manager who is willing to stay on 3 years plus to develop a team. I was disappointed Gavin Keary didn't get the u20 job, did good work down is clare and dublin and was lynskey coach with the minors. Gavin Keary or maybe try and get Cathal Murray over from the camogie. Wouldn't be a fan getting MD back or an outside manager, it fails every time for the hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Robert2014

First of all to go back to the footballers, like everyone else I didn't see that one coming. They showed great heart and determination to hang in when 4 to 5 points down in the first half and again at 0-14 0-11 in the second half. I think the turning point came with the 2 quick scores from McDaid and Darcy to go from 0-14 0-12 to 0-14 apiece. There was a surge in the crowd that believed that it was on and from there, they really went for it.

Hopefully the 2 week break can help all the injured players to get back, at least this time compared to other years we have a squad. It's hard to believe that Daly and Molloy couldn't get on the pitch but may have important roles yet. I worry that McGuinness is a clever strategist on the sideline but hopefully we will have enough.

For the hurlers, I thought it was a mistake to hire Shefflin in the first place. It was obvious at the beginning of his tenure that the team was getting old and a rebuild was required. It was even more obvious after last year's semi-final collapse and yet we have strung it out so now that rebuild will be harder. i just hope the County Board don't look for the big name to cover up all the faults we have like the FAI and that we start to work on developing ways to ensure young players can come through to compete at the highest level again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Apparently Fitzy's hair will be ok for the Donegal game.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Avon8

Why would Donoghue bother to come back now at this point? The talent isn't there at the moment. It may be there in 3/4 years however, with a few of the current u20s (Niland, Burke, Leen etc) looking like nailed on seniors

Donoghue's stock is so high (and will remain so) that he can pick whatever time he wants to come back in the long term

Anyway, I think I've finally sobered up after the weekend. Incredible scenes. Roll on Sunday week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

Funny how "Donoghue's stock is so high" considering he was the last manager before Shefflin who failed to get Galway out of Leinster via the round robin. Lying low can do wonders for the reputation evidently.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Butson

We played a sort of caveman hurling when winning the AL back in 2017. Made sense as we had ball winners in the forwards.

He was totally outplayed on the line in 2018 final against Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

JC played 40 minutes of that round Robin series. He wasn't the only injury. When your squad isn't deep injuries can be impossible to overcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Not many sights fill the heart with more pride for a galwayman/woman than Fitzy with the afterburners on, deep in enemy territory , mohikan cutting through the air like a knife, runners on his shoulder ready to take the battle further

In house:

Cathal Murray (as you mentioned) won 2015 county final with a limited Sarsfields team. Camogie is a world apart from hurling but he has managed a county to success who have been notoriously difficult to get over the line.

Lynskey and Hanley both had success at minor, neither could follow through with U20s.

Johnny Kelly. Success with a raft of teams at club level (Portumna bring the most successful) hard to gauge what is deemed "success" with Offaly but I imagine Joe McDonagh in 2024 was a decent achievement.

Kenneth Burke (possible dark horse) success with Thomas's. Club All Ireland. Involved in the backroom of Lynskeys ticket at underage level. Manager (with all due respect) to a fairly ordinary minor team this year. Managed to turn them from a team hammered twice in round Robin to losing to the eventual winners by a point after extra time while playing a man down. But again like Murray. Minor is minor.

Healy will stick with the U20s. Mattie Kenny unlikely. MD possible. Franny Forde unlikely on his own ticket. Outside of those would be a wildcard.

Out of Town.

Eamonn O Shea

Sheedy (O Shea on ticket)

Davy (doubtful but the paymaster may have a say.

Again outside of those hard to know.

No obvious candidate in my eyes. Kenneth Burke the most interesting for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MfMan

Bellew has a 'strong preference' to stay within the county but doesn't rule out an outside manager if the right candidate becomes available.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41429572.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

id be all for Kenneth Burke but would he show to much loyalty to his clubmen. Going forward i think Cian Mahony and maybe evan duggan should be on the panel, will Kenneth drop both cooney's and his brother, now in saying all that, rumour has it, that his a ruthless dog and took messy from the brothers up at thomas's. Has Lally stock took a battering with his association with Henry.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Avon8

Christ he was about the only Galway hurling manager in living memory who wasn't turfed out on his ear or who jumped before he was pushed. Probably a by product of yano, winning an all Ireland

Not just winning one either, Galway went into every game in 17 and 18 as heavy favorites. They were the undoubted best team in Ireland in that period, they didn't just win one against the head. What other manager since Cyril has got anywhere close to a situation like that

So yeah he's been lying low but his stock wasn't exactly at a low base when he did leave. And the past year with Dublin has definitely done it no harm

The list Happilyilost put up has some alright-ish options too but that's it. The fact that the media immediately put Davy in as the likely option shows how ridiculously poor the field is out there at the moment. So yeah Donoghues the hottest realistic ticket in the game at the moment, for any county. And will remain that in the case of Galway for about a decade to come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭MattressRick

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Johnny Kelly would be an interesting one as he's brought through some of those underage kids in Offaly to play, successfully, with the senior team. It's essentially what we're going to have to do now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,266 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I have to mention our Ladies Senior Football team tonight. They have beaten All-Ireland champions Dublin in Parnelll Park aet

Sweet Mother Of Jesus!

Dublin 1/7. Some performance. We obviously have their number now 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭MattressRick

They were brilliant. Some great passing and handling especially for their third goal.

R.I.P John O Mahony. Legend of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭LowOdour

very sad news. One of my greatest (non-family) days was being on the hill when padraic joyce put the ball in the back of the Kildare net in 98. Without O Mahony, would not have happened. RiP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

condolences to John o mahony and his family. May he rest in peace. He will always be remembered in Galway football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

Saw some clips of that 1998 final when MOM died recently (with his commentary). Before my time but the football looked fantastic compared with what's served up now. R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

I was in the Canal End that day - pandemonium when PJ stuck that in the net! Great great days. RIP Johno!

Advertisement