Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭spurshero

westcork67 wrote: »
    Buy in advance and its €80 for family of 4. Worried about petrol from Roscommon - are you coming via Wexford FFS! - If your worried about eating - then make sandwiches - your getting a good family day out for a competitive cup final in seats for €100 - that will get you 1 and a Half tickets to Ireland v Samoa in a rugby friendly in Dublin and nothing towards petrol or food

Tone it down it there no need to be so smart. And in case it passes over ya rugby went professional a good few years ago . Gaa is amateur

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭westcork67

spurshero wrote: »
    Tone it down it there no need to be so smart. And in case it passes over ya rugby went professional a good few years ago . Gaa is amateur

Professionalism has nothing to do with it IMO - I am making the point that Value for Money is what matters most - Has Rugby significantly improved as a source of entertainment since going professional? - I would say no.

I think the value you get for €80 for a family of 4 at a Connacht Final (seated!) is high compared to most other sporting events in Ireland

westcork67 wrote: »
    Professionalism has nothing to do with it IMO - I am making the point that Value for Money is what matters most - Has Rugby significantly improved as a source of entertainment since going professional? - I would say no.

I think the value you get for €80 for a family of 4 at a Connacht Final (seated!) is high compared to most other sporting events in Ireland
    Whilst not a big rugby fan I would be of the opinion that Connacht matches etc are a lot better to watch now then 20 years ago where with gaa football I would much rather the football 20 years ago the way it was played then they way it’s played. Back then Connacht we’re getting 200 maybe per game now there averaging 6000 plus . Gaa attendances are falling year in year with many reasons . Last sat donegal v Tyrone only brought 13000 . 4 big teams in Leinster Sunday brought 35000 where a few years ago you be lucky to get a ticket . Cost is one issue . Time is another and the way football being played is another . Dubs dominance which shows no sign of stopping ain’t helping either .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I think you will find that attendances are actually up in the GAA - they are simply spread out over more games than before.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I think you will find that attendances are actually up in the GAA - they are simply spread out over more games than before.
    I was at Galway v Kerry last year and Galway v Dublin in croker and they certainly weren’t up in that . Tickets were freely available for Dublin v Tyrone final as well . They might be up marginally because there is so Many extra games in a season then there used to be but there Defo well down in individual games.

• Advertisement

spurshero wrote: »
    . They might be up marginally because there is so Many extra games in a season then there used to be but there Defo well down in individual games.

But that is not what you said, you said that attendances in the GAA were falling, they are not falling and the increase is not margnial either. I'm not saying I agree with how it has been achieved but that is a fact.

But that is not what you said, you said that attendances in the GAA were falling, they are not falling and the increase is not margnial either. I'm not saying I agree with how it has been achieved but that is a fact.

I would be if the opinion games I go to attendances are well down the last few years . That’s my opinion I could be wrong . 34 000 for a Leinster double header featuring 3 big counties last Sunday in Kildare Meath and Dublin is poor and would be way down on few years ago . Same as 13000 at donegal v Tyrone would have got way more . But maybe with super 8 s etc it’s making up a small bit for it . I don’t know . There’s more games in championship season now then there used to be I suppose that s why attendance might be up over the season .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

That's an extremely naive view, of course they are a business, that is why they publish their accounts. Being a business has nothing to do with professionalism v amateurism.

The reason for the GAA's existence is not solely to make money. The reason for a 'business' is just that. There is the distinction for me. No doubt you have a more 'shrewd' view and you are welcome to it.

PCeeeee wrote: »
    The reason for the GAA's existence is not solely to make money. The reason for a 'business' is just that. There is the distinction for me. No doubt you have a more 'shrewd' view and you are welcome to it.

First of all, no need for the quotation marks, this is a discussion board and everyone doesnt have to agree with you, plus they make you look like a dick!

The GAA needs to make money to survive, the money gets redistributed from grass root level up and in order to facilitate that they have to make money, so that to me means that yes they have to be run like a business or they are failing their members.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭threeball

First of all, no need for the quotation marks, this is a discussion board and everyone doesnt have to agree with you, plus they make you look like a dick!

The GAA needs to make money to survive, the money gets redistributed from grass root level up and in order to facilitate that they have to make money, so that to me means that yes they have to be run like a business or they are failing their members.

In that case they are failing miserably. They have already admitted 18% drop in attendance. Any business that lost 18% of its customers and knew the reason they'd address it but the gaa don't. They also placed their product on tv behind a paywall and the figures were miserable so they signed up for another 5yrs despite others offering similar financial packages. If it's a business then it's the most poorly run one in Ireland. A licence to print money and they're running it in to the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

As I said you're welcome to your opinion. As to your stylistic guidance, I'll keep it in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭kala85

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Its cheaper than the rugby is your argument? Whoop de doo. Rugby is different. They have chosen professionalism. They are a business with all the trimmings that brings including two or three smart lads n lasses setting prices as high as the market will bear.

The GAA are not a business and should consider their members when pricing tickets.
    Absolutely. They are losing the run of themselves completely. Money mad. What are they doing with all the money.

Sky tv deal as well. Croke park paid off for.. Concerts in Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

kala85 wrote: »
    Absolutely. They are losing the run of themselves completely. Money mad. What are they doing with all the money.

cork is the new croke park in terms of expenses , it wont get enough games to pay for itself so croke park will lead the way in paying for it once the people running croke park took over paric ui chaoimh it was always going to spell trouble

i would give it 5 to ten years before its fully paid for

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

What's the best way to parnell Park on Saturday. Id imagine the traffic will be chronic

Take M50 northbound till it ends/turns into M1, there you branch off right to go to Malahide which is sign posted. This brings you in passed Clayton Hotel (formerly Bewleys) that ya may know thats not far from the Airport, this road continues on into towards Clarehall where you hit the Malahide Rd, bout 2/3km or so. At the junction of the Malahide rd take the right into towards Dublin city centre (just beside the massive Tesco Clarehall is, you'll see a Hilton Hotel on the left at the junction also). Head in the Malahide road for 5km or so and that brings ya into Donnycarney where Parnell Park is. Park up somewhere between Artane roundabout and BEFORE Collins Ave. Best off coming in this way, plenty of places to park from Artane roundabout side, dont try park too close and you should be grand. Park up round the Goblet Pub and 10 min walk from there and you on the right side for heading out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,338 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway Senior Football team to face Roscommon in the Connacht S.F.C Final on Sunday

Bernard Power (Corofin)
    Eoghan Kerin (Annaghdown)
    Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh (Naomh Ánna, Leitir Mór)
    Liam Silke (Corofin)
    Gary O’Donnell (Tuam Stars)
    Gareth Bradshaw (Moycullen)
    John Daly (Mountbellew Moylough)
    Thomas Flynn (Athenry)
    Fiontán Ó Curraoin (Michéal Breathnach)
    Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin Clonberne)
    Michael Daly (Mountbellew Moylough)
    Johnny Heaney (Killanin)
    Antaine Ó Laoí (An Spidéal)
    Ian Burke (Corofin)
    Danny Cummins (Claregalway)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Is Molloy still injured? If so, any word on how long more he could be out for?

RMAOK wrote: »
    Is Molloy still injured? If so, any word on how long more he could be out for?

Went over on his ankle. Don't think it's too serious. Might be on the bench on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Galway Senior Football team to face Roscommon in the Connacht S.F.C Final on Sunday

Bernard Power (Corofin)
    Liam Silke (Corofin)
    Thomas Flynn (Athenry)
    Johnny Heaney (Killanin)
    Ian Burke (Corofin)

Walsh is known for a lot of changes on matchday. Do we think that will be the team to start??

All their accounts are fully published a very simple google search will give you the headline figures and if you require anything more detailed there are FOI procedures, there is nothing to hide, some people seem to think that the biggest sporting orgainisation in the county runs itself at no cost :rolleyes:

threeball wrote: »
    In that case they are failing miserably. They have already admitted 18% drop in attendance. Any business that lost 18% of its customers and knew the reason they'd address it but the gaa don't. They also placed their product on tv behind a paywall and the figures were miserable so they signed up for another 5yrs despite others offering similar financial packages. If it's a business then it's the most poorly run one in Ireland. A licence to print money and they're running it in to the ground.

The 18% decrease was almost exclusively attendances for Football and the decrease of 113,000 can almost single handedly be explained by the fact that there were two replys in 2017 in the AI series which had a combined attendance of 93,000. There are many factors at play here so I am intrigued to know what the single reason is, which you have claimed the GAA are aware of but refuse to do anything about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Always_Running

fearruanua wrote: »
    Walsh is known for a lot of changes on matchday. Do we think that will be the team to start??
    Will have to wait and see. All I know is the vast majority of that starting team has started Connacht finals under Walsh before and are very much his tried and trusted players.

The 18% decrease was almost exclusively attendances for Football and the decrease of 113,000 can almost single handedly be explained by the fact that there were two replys in 2017 in the AI series which had a combined attendance of 93,000. There are many factors at play here so I am intrigued to know what the single reason is, which you have claimed the GAA are aware of but refuse to do anything about it?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/leinster-bosses-not-worried-by-falling-attendances-929228.html

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2019/02/07/news/worrying-trends-as-gaa-attendances-plummet-1546053/

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-down-more-than-3-5-million-in-gate-receipts-for-2018-1.3784035

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/leinster-football-gate-receipts-down-13859259

fearruanua wrote: »

Probably not. His named teams don't often start as selected but injuries have probably limited his scope to change things.

Bernard Power (Corofin)
    Liam Silke (Corofin)
    Thomas Flynn (Athenry)
    Johnny Heaney (Killanin)
    Ian Burke (Corofin)

If that team starts then we're in bother. The full forward line is too light, 3 small non physical players and the half back line has no pace so we'll be strolling up the pitch again.

Slow ball to feed 3 small forwards, that'd be just genius if it comes to pass. I'd fancy roscommon to beat us if we line out like that.

All their accounts are fully published a very simple google search will give you the headline figures and if you require anything more detailed there are FOI procedures, there is nothing to hide, some people seem to think that the biggest sporting orgainisation in the county runs itself at no cost :rolleyes:

What's the salary of the directors general so if its that transparent?

cork is the new croke park in terms of expenses , it wont get enough games to pay for itself so croke park will lead the way in paying for it once the people running croke park took over paric ui chaoimh it was always going to spell trouble

i would give it 5 to ten years before its fully paid for

Forgot about the bill on pairc uo Chaoimh..

Nice stadium but difficult to access

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭andymann

Anyone knowing of someone selling a ticket or two for the match in Parnell on Saturday? Dropped the ball on getting one last week and sold out before I'd even realised. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sadie9

I am looking for one Ticket for Parnell Park as well, if anyone can help.

Is the match going to be shown online or any tv station

• Advertisement

Is the match going to be shown online or any tv station

Sky had left it as a choice before the kk game but it's now pretty certain they'll show the wexford KK game. That's the more attractive tie with more permutations.

Advertisement