Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭threeball

I guess Donaghy isn't a very good motivational speaker/lucky charm either.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Hard luck firstly. There wasnt much in it. But again the manager is at fault. He hasn't put a squad together and he hasn't put a discernible imprint on the team. Galway are still Flakey and chances are if you can keep it tight going into the last ten minutes the old shortcomings will resurface. Poor decision making . It's like the only time Galway look great is when they ste coming from behind . They can hurl off the cuff then and not use their brains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Team has been on the go for a while, too much patch work Harte to corner tuohey etc. added with j.c out etc
    no real settled look.

Expect Callahan to retire

Pains me to say but glennon Niall Burke jayo just aren’t able to do it.
    Morrissey was brilliant and will get better
    Fullback line of him grealish daithi bodes well.

New ideas or personel we will be back very soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Davys Fits wrote: »
    You could also look at it like Wexford didnt loose any game. Glass half full.
    Carlow game was Galways downfall.

You could also look at it from a logical perspective.

Wexford won less games than the the third and fourth placed teams yet find themselves in a final because of the madness of having a one point weighting differential between winning and drawing a game. The madness of such a system in a 5 team group is exposed for all to see. Whatever about getting to a final, going out altogether is hard to swallow.

The GAA will say it adds to the excitement and perhaps it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

feargale wrote: »
    Twas Mulholland mayor of Galway before the All-Ireland final 1986. He said "I hope we don't beat Cork by a cricket score." Then the Cork captain (Cashman, I think) lifted Liam McCarthy and said "take a look at this, Mr Mulholland." :D
    Yes it was Tom Cashman alright .At the end of his victory speech he said "And to the Lord Mayor of Gollway have a look at that Bai" The McCarthy in his hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They never looked right all year. Raised it for Kilkenny but it’s the only good performance all year. Just look like a very tired team who have played a lot of big games in recent years. The break will probably do them good but still awful disappointing. Don’t think anyone will retire apart from maybe Callanan.

Padraig Mannion was arguably hurler of the year last year and he’s been completely out of sorts this year which sums up the general malaise around the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

threeball wrote: »
    I guess Donaghy isn't a very good motivational speaker/lucky charm either.

Very easy throw cheap shots at management and players this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

gammygils wrote: »
    Yes it was Tom Cashman alright the bollix. At the end of his victory speech he said "And to the Lord Mayor of Gollway have a look at that Bai" The McCarthy in his hand

Ya...it was a sweet moment..lol lol

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Very easy throw cheap shots at management and players this evening.

I didn't throw anything at the management or players but these mascots that are all the rage are totally bizarre. Waste of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

STB. wrote: »
    You could also look at it from a logical perspective.

Wexford won less games than the the third and fourth placed teams yet find themselves in a final because of the madness of having a one point weighting differential between winning and drawing a game. The madness of such a system in a 5 team group is exposed for all to see. Whatever about getting to a final, going out altogether is hard to swallow.

The GAA will say it adds to the excitement and perhaps it does.

You can look at it another way. In there home fixtures Galway did not perform. They only drew against Wexford in Salthill and only beat Carlow there by 6 points. The rest of the teams beat Carlow by 14-15 points each. Wexford were unluck to drop a point to Dublin in Parnell Park but they took a point off Galway in Salthill and did it again today against Kilkenny. Dublin beat Galway at home and took a point off Wexford in Parnell Park. They managed to hold Kilkenny to 5 point in Nolan park and made up there scoring difference by doing the business agaist Carlow away with a 15 point win.

The truth is Galway only had one good performance in the Leinster championship against Kilkenny last week. None of the three stronger teams managed to beat Wexford. If Galway beat Wexford in Salthill they would have topped the group. Galway have nobody to blame but themselves

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,463 ✭✭✭✭cson

Donoghue has to go after that. There really can't be any excuses for that group of players to be done by the middle of June. Players didn't hurl and ultimately that lands on the manager.

Infuriating because had they done things right after 2017 this should have been a 3 in a row year. ****ing gutless when it comes to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭basillarkin

At least daithi Burke will get a bit of a rest now, wasn't at it today and was possibly at fault or had a major hand in conceding all 3 goals. Talk of MOD departure is crazy.

Team needs a few tweaks would be interested to see Joseph Cooney at senior back. Get in fintan Burke when fit and Shane Cooney, hopefully find a couple of forwards before championship next season. Alot of forwards injured all season or carrying knocks and not helped by the fact that conor had to go off early today.

Overall Davy glennon hasn't done enough imo and n Burke Flynn and conor Cooney as well as gmac been former shadows of themselves. thats where the team lacks at the moment while the bench isn't strong enough.

Still thought the team would have been good enough to come through Leinster. All Ireland is between tipp and limerick for me. Just favouring the latter

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hio

Well I am shocked Galway are out before Clare tomorrow! That's one for the books and the gas thing is if Clare by a miracle were to beat Cork and Limerick draw or beat Tipperary then Clare would be shockingly still in the championship despite the two hammerings they got from Limerick and Tipperary. The 2013 & 2017 Champions who battled out in the two all ireland semifinal games last year have collapsed beyond recognition this year while Limerick cant be ruled out for doing back to back titles after 45 years in the famine. Yet Clare and Galway cant do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭spurshero

I says wrote: »
    This is the culmination of MD winning an AI with an inherited team from Anthony Cunningham and has brought it to its natural conclusion. He didn’t try or trust younger players after 17 and stuck to the same template as what won in 17.
    Surely to jaysus starting Jonny coen was a sign that he reverted to type that is to cautious with to many players in their comfort zone and think they have a divine right to be on the team. Burke not up to it in the middle of the park anymore
    very harsh . cunningham had his chances to win one with them and wasnt able.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭An Capall Dubh

Thanks for the AI MoD but it's time to move on.
    The form since the Wexford round robin has been awful.

Played lads like Blehane all league and dumped for the championship and gave no chances to Kevin Cooney or the likes despite some games yearning for changes with the result set.

Three goals conceded to an also ran who played with a sweeper and again drew a blank in the same bracket.

Who's MoD? You do nothing but lip off about Micheál Donoghue yet you can't even get his name right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭C__MC

Since 2015, it's been quite the journey for these players.
    Physically and mentally, quite draining. MOD didnt build on 2017 IMO. Galway have huge underage pedigree but he has consistently went with the older brigade. Mind you, the older brigade owe galway nothing. They won and lost some epic games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

spurshero wrote: »

Cunningham biggest downfall is changing tactics from 12 final and replay and in 15 KK ate us alive in second half. That KK team faced was the best seen imo but at least he blooded young players.
    Shane Maloney’s point in 15 semi final will be long remembered as a Cunningham springer given a chance but MD hasn’t brought anyone on so coasting is a word I’d associate with a lot of that squad right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Hio wrote: »
    I know ye may not favour Tipperary in the past but I for one as a clareman would prefer Tipperary to win it out before Limerick. Limerick have enough won now for another 45 years and woukd ratger Tipperary add another titke to the load they have. Id love to see Dublin making the breakthrough but failing that or assuming wont happen my most preferred team would be Kilkenny to win it out. It would be great to see Kilkenny coming again with the master Coady. Then we would all feel that no other county would have bragging rights! Galway won one in 17, Clare in 13, Limerick in 18.

Terrible attitude, really is. It's the worst of us in one post. A truly begrudging post. As Donald would say to a dopey Democrat...'So Sad'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Terrible attitude, really is. It's the worst of us in one post. A truly begrudging post. As Donald would say to a dopey Democrat...'So Sad'.

i have him banned from the thread didn't realise he was on here as well , take no notice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭spurshero

Hard to believe in here tonight . Terms like gutless being used to describe players that have being in 3 of the last 4 all Ireland’s winning one and losing the other year in a semi final classic to tipp by a pt after joe went off injured at half time . Donoughe has made mistakes but he Also played a massive part in us bridging a 29 year gap 18 months ago. He seems to be getting no credit for that though ! Some posters want him out . Maybe he will go but it will be his own decision . He’s given players chances loftus jack grealish morrissey tonight. He was also without Probaly the best player in the country for the championship season bar a half tonight . Be careful what we wish for .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

3 draws and beat carlow and wexford are into leinster final.

Kk will win leinster and lost to a team knocked out.

Farce.
    Why didn’t you beat Wexford then? Maybe that was the “farce”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

To be fair Cunningham deserves a lot of credit for stopping the rot in Galway hurling, In the previous 5 years before he became Galway manager they reached zero AI finals. He turned a bunch of talented but flaky Galway men and molded them into a very physical hard nosed outfit. The Galway panel that won the 2017 All Ireland was basically built under the good work by Cunningham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hard to believe in here tonight . Terms like gutless being used to describe players that have being in 3 of the last 4 all Ireland’s winning one and losing the other year in a semi final classic to tipp by a pt after joe went off injured at half time.

I don't think I'm over the top calling that performance tonight gutless. I was at it and all around me also felt that there was a lot of players that let themselves down. You're probably not gonna see the extent of how poor they were from highlights tomorrow night.

These lads have been brilliant ambassadors over the last few years but if you're gonna defend 2019 you'd want to really cop on. A great win against KK is not papering over the cracks of 3 lethargic performances in the championship when all the talk around was "they're trying not to peak too early".

There's a team full of players, mgmt and backroom staff that deserve huge praise for 2017 and 2018 but this year was an absolute disaster. If we'd gone through to the qualifiers I still feel we'd have been destroyed by a decent team. They looked the same condition and lack of sharpness as they did in the League.

There's no way there won't be change next year. Could be new management, lads like Joseph Cooney & Johnny Glynn might not have the interest to travel home, retirements etc. That change could be good or it could be very bad but whatever training, preparation or attitudes they had going on got us knocked out at the same stage as Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

i have him banned from the thread didn't realise he was on here as well , take no notice

Why? It's an honest opinion? Im a galway supporter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

crusier wrote: »
    Why? It's an honest opinion? Im a galway supporter

because he dose this deliberately to stirr ****e he mainly dose it on the clare thread

he done it purposely because he wanted to get ye fighting amongst yourselves on here

he is on his 3rd or 4th username now at this stage from permanent banns

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I don't think I'm over the top calling that performance tonight gutless. I was at it and all around me also felt that there was a lot of players that let themselves down. You're probably not gonna see the extent of how poor they were from highlights tomorrow night.

These lads have been brilliant ambassadors over the last few years but if you're gonna defend 2019 you'd want to really cop on. A great win against KK is not papering over the cracks of 3 lethargic performances in the championship when all the talk around was "they're trying not to peak too early".

There's a team full of players, mgmt and backroom staff that deserve huge praise for 2017 and 2018 but this year was an absolute disaster. If we'd gone through to the qualifiers I still feel we'd have been destroyed by a decent team. They looked the same condition and lack of sharpness as they did in the League.

There's no way there won't be change next year. Could be new management, lads like Joseph Cooney & Johnny Glynn might not have the interest to travel home, retirements etc. That change could be good or it could be very bad but whatever training, preparation or attitudes they had going on got us knocked out at the same stage as Carlow.

Galway's issue has been there inability to put teams away when they have the chance. Last year in the Leinster Final and replay they had numerous chances to put Kilkenny away. The same last weekend they go through this stage of trading point for point when they go 2-3 up. Limerick were similar last year. But this year are a different kettle of fish.When they got the chance against Waterford and Clare they put the boot in. Galway failed to do this again this year.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hard to believe in here tonight . Terms like gutless being used to describe players that have being in 3 of the last 4 all Ireland’s winning one and losing the other year in a semi final classic to tipp by a pt after joe went off injured at half time . Donoughe has made mistakes but he Also played a massive part in us bridging a 29 year gap 18 months ago. He seems to be getting no credit for that though ! Some posters want him out . Maybe he will go but it will be his own decision . He’s given players chances loftus jack grealish morrissey tonight. He was also without Probaly the best player in the country for the championship season bar a half tonight . Be careful what we wish for .

That Galway side have probably won more tight games over the past 5 years than anyone else in hurling. A great bunch of lads but sometimes teams just run out of road.

They are not even an old side on paper but the all the big games take a toll.

They'll be back next year in some form. Too much talent coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

So after the disappointment of today we turn our attention to the footballers tomorrow. I hope we do it. It would be a total shlte weekend if we were to lose that as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Hard luck to the hurlers yesterday. The break should do them good to put a bit of hunger back in them.a same hunger that’s been missing in them for a while.
    Hopefully players or management won’t be making any rushed decisions following their early exit and allow the dust settle before decisions are made.
    Best of luck to the footballers today in the pearse.
    Up the tribes

• Advertisement

Galway have a history of underperforming against teams we consider minnows. It happened again last night. We never put away the offalys, Dublins and carlow of this world. They're nearly always running us close. Then we go out and perform against a KK or Tipp.

Footballers are the same. We've been ran close or lost badly against teams we shouldn't have. This year alone it was London and Sligo. We lost badly to roscommon a few years ago and again to tipperary in the quarter finals. The common theme is we didn't really rate them so ended up in a dogfight. If we hammered carlow like the others did we'd have been still in this morning. We had a chance to put that right against Dublin and failed again.

Advertisement