Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭threeball

gammygils wrote: »
    So after the disappointment of today we turn our attention to the footballers tomorrow. I hope we do it. It would be a total shlte weekend if we were to lose that as well

I wouldn't be too hopeful looking at the team we've put out. 3 very small full forwards who are going to have to scrap for ball because our half back line doesn't have the pace to transition quickly. It looks like a safety first team again. This rope a dope style of sitting back and absorbing pressure just to end up breaking on the counter at tortoise pace is getting old.

Roscommon are now sitting back too but the counter at serious speed and have much bigger men in the forwards to win ball if it's slowed. The Tyrone game was a microcosm of everything we do wrong and we were still doing it against London and Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭spurshero

threeball wrote: »
    Galway have a history of underperforming against teams we consider minnows. It happened again last night. We never put away the offalys, Dublins and carlow of this world. They're nearly always running us close. Then we go out and perform against a KK or Tipp.

Footballers are the same. We've been ran close or lost badly against teams we shouldn't have. This year alone it was London and Sligo. We lost badly to roscommon a few years ago and again to tipperary in the quarter finals. The common theme is we didn't really rate them so ended up in a dogfight. If we hammered carlow like the others did we'd have been still in this morning. We had a chance to put that right against Dublin and failed again.

Is running close now 13 points cause that’s what we beat Sligo by .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I wouldn't be too hopeful looking at the team we've put out. 3 very small full forwards who are going to have to scrap for ball because our half back line doesn't have the pace to transition quickly.

This. Totally this. That HB line and that FF line together almost guarantees the same slow frustrating build up we see so often. The HB's march calmly up till they encounter an opponent, they can't outpace them and long ball opportunity (if it was there at all) is long gone so it's sideways or back.

Now the opposite team have numbers back (if they hadn't already) so we begin keep ball and probing. It's horrible to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

the offalys, Dublins and carlow of this world. .

Says it all there really.....

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

That Galway side have probably won more tight games over the past 5 years than anyone else in hurling. A great bunch of lads but sometimes teams just run out of road.

They are not even an old side on paper but the all the big games take a toll.

They'll be back next year in some form. Too much talent coming through.

'Too much talent coming through'. Not sure there's the calibre of player coming through to replace the likes of JC and David Burke in a couple of years. While we've won qlot at minor level recently, there's still very little elite talent coming through that would have us challenging for an All Ireland in 5 years time.

We will only fully appreciate what this group have players have done when the well runs dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭spurshero

Bonniedog wrote: »

I laughed myself when I seen that quote . Well done last night great win. It hurts here but the more counties at the top table of hurling the better it will be in the long run . Good luck for rest of championship

Dublin think the same of those teams in football so don't get on your high horse. The difference is your current team is ruthless regardless of who they play. We on the other hand are not.

spurshero wrote: »
    Is running close now 13 points cause that’s what we beat Sligo by .

Not a true reflection of the game though. We only pulled away late on. Sligo were in it for most of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭Robson99

Who's MoD? You do nothing but lip off about Micheál Donoghue yet you can't even get his name right.

As Gailge black horse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭Robson99

3 draws and beat carlow and wexford are into leinster final.

Kk will win leinster and lost to a team knocked out.

Farce.

Firstly congrats to Mattie Kenny and co. Great achievement

Now time for us to face reality and stop covering up with nonsense about Wexford getting 3 draws and it being a farce

Wexford should have beaten us by 4 or 5 points in Pearse Stadium.
    We had one game to win since that Wexford game and we were unable to do it. One game against Dublin.
    Now if we are unable to do that then we deserve to be where we are today. No offence to Dublin
    I think management will step aside now. They put the finishing touches on Anthony Cunningham's team and delivered the All Ireland that that bunch of players thoroughly deserved.
    But we need to progress and IMO the only way we will is with new mgmt.
    No excuses either about JC not been available. What we get from him from now should be a bonus and we need to build team so as when he retires he is not leaving a massive hole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Dublin think the same of those teams in football so don't get on your high horse. The difference is your current team is ruthless regardless of who they play. We on the other hand are not.

Dublin hurling supporters don't have a high horse. Or barely even a fkn Connemara pony.

I was just taking the pee out of him when I had a few on board. We have obnoxious football supporters no doubt.

Anyway, was big night for us and great to see the park jammed with hurling people for what was a nail biter.

We are nowhere near where you chaps are in last 50 years, so it was big one for us.

Hard luck, and everyone was friends in Ciarans at last orders :)

Dublin hurling supporters don't have a high horse. Or barely even a fkn Connemara pony.

I was just taking the pee out of him when I had a few on board. We have obnoxious football supporters no doubt.

Anyway, was big night for us and great to see the park jammed with hurling people for what was a nail biter.

We are nowhere near where you chaps are in last 50 years, so it was big one for us.

Hard luck, and everyone was friends in Ciarans at last orders :)

I have no problem with Dublin or the Dublin win. Fair play to ye. Landmark win. My point was that we often underperform in games against teams we think we should beat and that always makes us vunerible to losing out like yesterday.

Anyway, fair play to ye. Hopefully you'll take another scalp or two. The more top end teams the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Gael85

Will Daithi Burke be brought into football panel now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Gael85 wrote: »
    Will Daithi Burke be brought into football panel now?

Didn't the same thing happen with him in 2014 after Galway hurlers got knocked out of the championship by tipp?

Frankly, while he'd be well fit for inter county football, I'd hate to see him out there for the footballers. He's been on the go for the last number of years with the hurlers and corofin (and will probably be on the road with them again later on in the year) and needs a break imo. The same goes for many of the hurlers tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭donnem33

Reading reports in the paper - was it very noticeable that Dublin tightened the pitch?

Also mentions that it was a blatant penalty for Adrian tuohy in the second minute which was not awarded. I listened to the game on GBFM but expect them to be biased...anyone at the game able to shed more light?

Think people are being disingenuous to MD. He has seen Galway become a very difficult team to beat, won 1 all Ireland, 2 Leinster, 1 national league and 1 Walsh cup. Allied to that he narrowly lost a classic semi final in 2016 and lost the all Ireland by one point in 2018 - he has more than earned the right to decide himself whether he wants to continue or finish up.

Would expect a big influx of new players into the panel next year

RMAOK wrote: »
    Didn't the same thing happen with him in 2014 after Galway hurlers got knocked out of the championship by tipp?

Frankly, while he'd be well fit for inter county football, I'd hate to see him out there for the footballers. He's been on the go for the last number of years with the hurlers and corofin (and will probably be on the road with them again later on in the year) and needs a break imo. The same goes for many of the hurlers tbh.

Agree, he'll burn himself out by 28 if he gets involved with both. There's no point joining the current set up anyway as he couldnt add anything with the way we play now. Its not about players, it about the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Two of Galways best performers yesterday. Johnny Coen and David Burke. Burke led like the captain he is and did all he could to drag us through. Pick players all you like but don't just go with cliched players that the media tell you too.

Galway Junior's 1-7 Mayo 9points. Galway win after some funny scoreboard adjustments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Galway Junior's 1-7 Mayo 9points. Galway win after some funny scoreboard adjustments.

They had it right on radio.mayo were awarded a point on the scoreboard when it was a free out.well done to the juniors.

Best of luck to the seniors.they owe Roscommon a beating.easier said then done as Roscommon are a good side but I’m confident.

Up the tribes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

donnem33 wrote: »
    Reading reports in the paper - was it very noticeable that Dublin tightened the pitch?

Also mentions that it was a blatant penalty for Adrian tuohy in the second minute which was not awarded. I listened to the game on GBFM but expect them to be biased...anyone at the game able to shed more light?

Think people are being disingenuous to MD. He has seen Galway become a very difficult team to beat, won 1 all Ireland, 2 Leinster, 1 national league and 1 Walsh cup. Allied to that he narrowly lost a classic semi final in 2016 and lost the all Ireland by one point in 2018 - he has more than earned the right to decide himself whether he wants to continue or finish up.

Would expect a big influx of new players into the panel next year

Galway has plenty of senior hurling clubs, but the reality is that the standard is pretty poor. Very little happening in places like Athenry and Portumna these days, and the rural parishes are mostly struggling as well. Loughrea have some great young hurlers, and Kilnademma-Leitrim are producing at underage.

It’s not great when lads like Lennane and Monaghan are the options on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Two of Galways best performers yesterday. Johnny Coen and David Burke. Burke led like the captain he is and did all he could to drag us through. Pick players all you like but just go with cliched players that the media tell you too.

Shows you how poor the rest were yesterday the squad needs a serious overhaul. And how lucky we were in the 17 final when Moran missed which would have put Waterford 2 up with about 12 mins to play the same failings are rearing there heads again with Galway teams. Infighting cost us 2013 and all is not well in this camp either during the year. To many players coasting and think they can turn it on when it matters, got found out this year for sure. As I said they haven’t the legs for midfield and the it shows when we haven’t the attitude to steamroll Carlow or knock ten bells outta Wexford at home. Rising for the Kilkenny game gave false hope and had we gone through we would more than likely get dismantled against a Munster team. Dublin had there homework done but MDs approach by sticking to tried and trusted has cost us as we’re getting predictable and inconsistent at the same time. Playing diathi, Gmac and hanbury in last year’s final carrying injuries shows that there is no back up plan from the current management setup. We have an AI and thanks to him but if he is still in charge next year and calling up the same players we are goosed. At least Cunningham blooded younger players and wasn’t afraid to throw them in at the deep end. Where is the natural progression of 2/3 new faces every year in the panel.
    Burke and Flynn to inconsistent at this level.
    Burke and coen as above.
    Callahan is more than likely to retire.
    Diathi need the break football/hurling seriously taking it out of him tired/jaded.
    C cooney form has tailed of from 17.
    Glynn and baby joe have lives outside of Ireland.
    Some lads think they have a divine right to be on the team that scutter was there up to 2016 until MD culled quite a few but he hasn’t stuck to that ruthlessness and that has cost him and the team dearly.

I says wrote:
    Some lads think they have a divine right to be on the team that scutter was there up to 2016 until MD culled quite a few but he hasn’t stuck to that ruthlessness and that has cost him and the team dearly.

I agree no player has a divine right to play. And form should dictate that. And on the flip side no player should be dropped for the sake of just freshening things up. Burke was good against Kilkenny and unreal yesterday. Coen came on and scored 1-1 against Kilkenny and again was excellent yesterday. I don't know why you you picked those two out when so many more have been so much poorer. And on Johnny Coen he lost his place and worked his proverbial bo****ks off to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

I agree no player has a divine right to play. And form should dictate that. And on the flip side no player should be dropped for the sake of just freshening things up. Burke was good against Kilkenny and unreal yesterday. Coen came on and scored 1-1 against Kilkenny and again was excellent yesterday. I don't know why you you picked those two out when so many more have been so much poorer. And on Johnny Coen he lost his place and worked his proverbial bo****ks off to get it back.

How many haven’t worked their balls off got comfortable in the routine Flynn and Burke just swapping them around and no improvement out of the and MD still persisted with them shows how easy for them to get comfortable and coast they knew they would never be dropped completely

I says wrote: »
    How many haven’t worked their balls off got comfortable in the routine Flynn and Burke just swapping them around and no improvement out of the and MD still persisted with them shows how easy for them to get comfortable and coast they knew they would never be dropped completely

Who are you replacing them with. I don't see too many standout options.

I says wrote:

That's fair. Really thought this year was the year for Niall Burke. Unfortunately that went badly wrong. Jayo has shown glimpses this year but as you say his form isn't consistent enough. I'd ask the lad to look at his boots too because I don't know how the f**k he ends up on the ground so often. I have plenty of excuses I could make for the lads yesterday but there's not much point. It went pear shaped.

threeball wrote:
    Who are you replacing them with. I don't see too many standout options.

This also. Galway need to look elsewhere but going on club form Jason Flynn and Niall Burke especially stand out a mile. I go to a lot of club games and the only player this year in the first few rounds I thought was very impressive was Jamie Ryan from Loughrea. I haven't seen Evan Niland from the Bridge yet but again I hear he has been hurling well. It's hard to know where we going looking for the additional players we need.

Hear Lavelle and Cooke are in for Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Who is cooke replacing?

Hear Lavelle and Cooke are in for Galway.

Lavelle better stay in his goal this time. He's atrocious with ball in hand. I've seen 8yr olds look more natural soloing than him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

RMAOK wrote: »
    Who is cooke replacing?

Cooke is in for Danny Cummins

Advertisement