Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Well done Tony Cunningham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Kevin Walsh out. Absolutely toxic for galway football.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭threeball

Anthony Cunningham for the Galway job. Walsh to Dublin to even things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

2 points in 44 odd minutes in the second half. Beyond terrible weekend for Galway GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LoveMeSexy

RMAOK wrote: »
    What's the point in putting out the corofin lads when the game is over?

I mean the one that did play most of the game might as well have stayed on the bench too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Well done Roscommon.
    They did what they had to do.
    Massive changes needed in that Galway team.
    Hugely disappointing to watch.
    A tired and gutless performance in the second half.
    Roscommon found oceans of space but they were let find it.
    A delayed response from the sideline then as usual to make changes.
    Hard to watch that

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

What a shambles like 2017 all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I don't say it lightly but that was a cowardly 2nd half from Galway. At one point a Roscommon player burst straight through two Galway players to kick a point.

Walsh has to go. No question.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Worst half of football I've ever seen from a Galway team? Struggling to think of any worse than that complete capitulation.

That's the end of Walsh now.

Nothing surprises me with KW in charge.
    Cant say I was in any way shocked or disappointed as these days are more common under him.

Players passing it back and forward across the 45 metre line and backs constantly dictating play.
    He still cant take the time to watch ONE Dublin game and see what they do on their kick outs.
    Cluxton doesn't make difference to them as they were just as good in the league...simply a philosophy.

Donohue has let things go stale, he could implement the changes. I'd rather we had a change but it wouldn't overly bother me as long as he change things up.
    KW is completely out of his depth though, he should have been let go after the Tipperary game.
    We're playing a losing brand of football and he has made no improvements or tweaks to suggest we were ever going to improve and challenge the likes of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭castor 1

Management should go straight away without being told to go.

Team is going nowhere. No leadership, no plan, very little movement up front.

Awful stuff to watch.

castor 1 wrote: »

Awful stuff to watch.

Honestly an absolute embarrassment to the jersey.

We know these lads can play football but Walsh has them stuck in a mental straight jacket.

castor 1 wrote: »

Awful stuff to watch.

No way he'll go. He managed Sligo to historic losses and has brought us down there too. The man hasn't the first clue about how to develop a football team.
    He'll hang on as long as he can. I hope we get Tyrone or someone and get a right kicking in the next round.

When is the draw for the footballers now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

When is the draw for the footballers now

It's a few weeks away for Galway yet. They are in the last round which I think is four weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I think he has to go.

Either that or he has to come out and say he takes full responsibility for that absolute shít show of defensive tactics that were totally unnecessary.

Talk about not having faith in your players that you adopt such ridiculous tactics. The players were simply not allowed play.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Pearlstone

Well done to Roscommon. Deserved their win. Galway were diabolical in the second half and totally lacking in any wisdom or wit from the management. A bad weekend just got worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

I wouldn't even let Walsh eat the dinner in the hotel after that.

Miles out of his depth and bluffing through the last few seasons. Hes so negative and doesn't have the ability to either coach or improve the players.
    It took him so long to bow to the inevitable and pick Ian burke last year that he was clearly too afraid of the backlash to take him off today when it was clear he just wasn't going well.

Farragher and molloy on in injury time and takes off Michael Daly. Bradshaw and o'Donnell great servants but they were always going to be burning oil very early.

It's probably a year early for Padraig joyce - would be great for him to get 2 years with the u20s but I'd say he will have to step up at the end of this season now.

Rob Thomas wrote: »

Miles out of his depth and bluffing through the last few seasons. Hes so negative and doesn't have the ability to either coach or improve the players.
    It took him so long to bow to the inevitable and pick Ian burke last year that he was clearly too afraid of the backlash to take him off today when it was clear he just wasn't going well.

Farragher and molloy on in injury time and takes off Michael Daly. Bradshaw and o'Donnell great servants but they were always going to be burning oil very early.

It's probably a year early for Padraig joyce - would be great for him to get 2 years with the u20s but I'd say he will have to step up at the end of this season now.

I don't think he's the right man either right now but anyone's better than Walsh.

I supported Walsh in the past.he was a great man in his day for Galway football and we have had great days following them but times change and there’s something seriously wrong with that team looking at that today.
    A big clear out needed
    There’s families stuck in 3 hours traffic now after watching that gutless shambles of a farce.
    You’d have to go looking hard to find a half of football as bad as that for Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Rochford?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

Time for Kevin Walsh to call it a day, but there is a few players that need to go with him - far too many bottlejobs in that team.

grbear wrote: »
    Rochford?

I'd have him before Joyce. Its too big a jump in experience. They need some Corofin influence on the sideline. O Brien or Morris need to be in there too. I'd have Cunningham in a heartbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Galway GAA back to it's very best. The laughing stock we deserve this weekend.

How they didn't rob a draw with the ball on the Rossie line was comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I am a half-Galway man and always have affection for the 98/01 team, and a soft spot for Galway in general.

But jesus today was bad. Bringing a third midfielder into the starting team when the corner forward cried off was pretty much conceding defeat.

Never seen a Galway team so lethargic and I was in Tuam when Matty Forde kicked 4-5 that day. I hope ye let loose in the qualifiers but I can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭elefant

How he played pretty much the full game is a mystery. With every forward going off that wasn't him it was getting more incredible.

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    Time for Kevin Walsh to call it a day, but there is a few players that need to go with him - far too many bottlejobs in that team.

Worst was when a Roscommon player had the ball and knocked two Galway players out of the way to kick a point near the end. They should have turned him over but he just barreled right through them like they were wet toilet paper.

Showed who wanted it more anyway.

elefant wrote: »
    How he played pretty much the full game is a mystery. With every forward going off that wasn't him it was getting more incredible.

He had a nightmare alright. Think he fumbled the first 3 or 4 balls sent into him and never got going after that. He plays for Corofin and hardly ever fumbles a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Time for Walsh to leave. Hurling was disappointing but they left the championship with some honour. Today was a complete farce but what is surprising for me is that anyone is surprised. Donegal 2015, Tipp 2016, Roscommon and Kerry 2017, Monaghan and Dublin last year and Roscommon 2019. After Roscommon 2017 I gave up on this management. Having grown up loving watching Galway football I'm now almost completely indifferent to it. It makes me sick looking at the clueless style of play we are pursuing.

When it really mattered we haven't laid a glove on the opposition. Mayo can be criticised as much as anyone likes but to be fair they would never exit as pathetically as we have. These pathetic fade outs year after year show up how mentally weak the team is. The first hint of pressure today and we fall asunder.

Game was desperately crying out for a change early in the 2nd half to get back control. The lack of action from the line was inexplicable but the lack of leadership on the pitch was equally infuriating. We are recycling players who haven't been good enough in the past and it was embarrassing seeing lads dishing the ball off late on rather than kick a score. The flood of subs when the match was well and truly dead just showed up the total inaction from Walsh when we could have wrestled back control of it.

Congrats to Roscommon. They were going to go through a brick wall to win today. Anthony Cunningham gives teams a hard edge and gets a team playing in his image within 7 or 8 months. We are 5 years into Walsh's tenure and I see no future for this team.

Id never want a galway team to lose but losing in the qualifiers might just prompt some action from the county board. My worry is we will stumble into the last 8 and we have to put up with another year of this garbage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I supported Walsh in the past.he was a great man in his day for Galway football and we have had great days following them but times change and there’s something seriously wrong with that team looking at that today.
    A big clear out needed
    There’s families stuck in 3 hours traffic now after watching that gutless shambles of a farce.
    You’d have to go looking hard to find a half of football as bad as that for Galway

Against Dublin in the league in February Galway were shocking in the 2nd half as well - From what I recall of the game they were actually worse in the 2nd half than today - the thing was Dublin weren't going well at all in the game but Galway were so bad in the 2nd half they basically played Dublin back into the game - Completely threw in the towel in the 2nd half - Only scored 2 points that night as well.

Advertisement