Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭testtech05

It's always that way isn't it all these stories/rumours come out after a team has a loss. Maybe there is something going on in the background we will have to wait and see.

Never hear anything after a win, although I'm sure fans would give more leeway after a win! Would know a couple of the Ros players through a mutual friend and they were still on the beer Wednesday night!!

Either way all that aside they are only amateur lads at the end of the days and should be allowed let off a bit of steam within reason as someone else has said.

Here's hoping the loss might give our lads some sort of a kick up the arse to play some football or else there will be another season passed with damn all to show for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

testtech05 wrote:
    It's always that way isn't it all these stories/rumours come out after a team has a loss. Maybe there is something going on in the background we will have to wait and see.

testtech05 wrote:
    Never hear anything after a win, although I'm sure fans would give more leeway after a win! Would know a couple of the Ros players through a mutual friend and they were still on the beer Wednesday night!!

testtech05 wrote:
    Either way all that aside they are only amateur lads at the end of the days and should be allowed let off a bit of steam within reason as someone else has said.

testtech05 wrote:
    Here's hoping the loss might give our lads some sort of a kick up the arse to play some football or else there will be another season passed with damn all to show for it!

Wouldn't have much issue with the drinking carry on. It's usually set out when management believe it's acceptable/Ok to go on the lash. Whether Galway won or lost the night out was probably happening as there is a decent break before the next game. Lads in there young to mid twenties are not going to turn down an opportunity like that!

The player/wedding thing is a curious one. Be interested to see views from a hypothetical standpoint. I heard it first during the junior game Sunday and then from a player. So player wants to go to a wedding. Player approaches management. Management state if you attend you will not be considered to start but be amongst the subs. Player considers this comes back and says I will go to the wedding and accept my place on the bench. People be more critical of management or player?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Wouldn't have much issue with the drinking carry on. It's usually set out when management believe it's acceptable/Ok to go on the lash. Whether Galway won or lost the night out was probably happening as there is a decent break before the next game. Lads in there young to mid twenties are not going to turn down an opportunity like that!

The player/wedding thing is a curious one. Be interested to see views from a hypothetical standpoint. I heard it first during the junior game Sunday and then from a player. So player wants to go to a wedding. Player approaches management. Management state if you attend you will not be considered to start but be amongst the subs. Player considers this comes back and says I will go to the wedding and accept my place on the bench. People be more critical of management or player?

And who are the management to say he's not allowed to attend a wedding? He's not being paid, no contracts involved etc, do they not trust their players to behave responsibly before a big game? Ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Does he stand between two sticks?

Got it in one

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Was the wedding the night before the Connacht final? That's the only justification for telling a player he can't attend. If the wedding was the weekend before then the clout intercounty managers think they have is gone too far. In that case the player is well within his rights to tell them to F off.

• Advertisement

Was the wedding the night before the Connacht final? That's the only justification for telling a player he can't attend. If the wedding was the weekend before then the clout intercounty managers think they have is gone too far. In that case the player is well within his rights to tell them to F off.

Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Friday.

If your having a few pints the Friday night before the Connacht final you probably wont be in condition for the full 70

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

JJJackal wrote: »
    If your having a few pints the Friday night before the Connacht final you probably wont be in condition for the full 70

He had no pints.stayed for the dinner and hit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

He had no pints.stayed for the dinner and hit off.

If indeed that's the case then it's absolutely ludicrous. Why can't a man go to a dinner??

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

JJJackal wrote: »
    Friday.

There'd be nothing wrong with going, not drinking and leaving at midnight. If KW didn't trust him to do that, then what's expected of intercounty players is actually ridiculous.
    Then again, the lad would have umpteen people throughout the day and night saying jokingly they hope he didn't touch the wine, that kinda thing. So he'd have no peace anyway. But again, the expectations on these lads are just ridiculous.

• Advertisement

I won't get much into it but what I know was there is some sort of players charter agreed by the players that functions the weekend of a match were off limits at the start of the year.

This would of fallen into that category. Player approached management to see the story. Wasn't told he couldn't attend but the consequences of his decision was explained to him. He considered it and decided on the wedding. The whole you can't have one rule for one and a different one for everyone else comes into it. There was also a team meet up Friday that he did not attend as far as I'm aware.

Still wished the player had started but I do see the difficult position management were in. I'm sure plenty of lads were up later playing FIFA or whatever later than what he stayed at the wedding for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

The daft 'charter' puts managment in a difficult position. Really needs to be more trust in lads.

This whole charter, asking for permission etc points to management not trusting their players. Ridiculous, if it was a brother or sister of a player that was getting married would they be expected to miss the wedding because of this charter?

On another note, I was at the Corofin v St James game this evening, Corofin are a joy to watch, missing half their team through injury, abroad etc but you'd never know, the young lads that played instead fitted in seamlessly. Now that the hurlers are out you'd hope someone might approach David Morris and ask him to give a few pointers regarding our forward play. The wedding had no lasting effect on Power either by the way, as assured as ever even though he didn't have too much to deal with. Martin Farragher was excellent, scored 3-4 I think. Ian Burke was back to himself, Molloy had a quiet first half but a good second half and was very lively. Liam Silke was solid but not too much was asked of him in all honesty. Conroy played the whole game for James's, didn't have too much of an influence, made some great runs but looks a bit off full match fitness yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

According to Paul Galvins in the Sunday Times Ruairi Lavelle plays for Corofin and was very impressive against Ballintubber last December.

ClareGalway 3-16 to Leitir Mor 6 points. Cummins with two goals (one a penalty). Played ok. Sean Andy not so much. Sean Moran was outstanding for ClareGalway (I've no idea how this lad never got a look in at county level)

Spideal 1-8 to 6 points up at half time Antaine O'Laoi kicking some beauties. His Brother scored the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Sean Moran was outstanding for ClareGalway (I've no idea how this lad never got a look in at county level)

Apparently declined an invite in a few times. Its a disgrace otherwise

Litir Mor well and truly headed for intermediate. I'm still amazed they somehow survived last year.

ClareGalway 3-16 to Leitir Mor 6 points. Cummins with two goals (one a penalty). Played ok. Sean Andy not so much. Sean Moran was outstanding for ClareGalway (I've no idea how this lad never got a look in at county level)

Spideal 1-8 to 6 points up at half time Antaine O'Laoi kicking some beauties. His Brother scored the goal.

There seems to be some serious issues with Milltown this year

9 points down in injury time against Killererin who can't buy a win in division 3 and hammered by Spideal who are only just up from intermediate. Arguably the two worst sides in the group

They had a great campaign last year, this is baffling stuff

Spideal 2-15 to Milltown 12 points. Two O Laoi's fantastic for Spideal with Antaine running the show. Seems to be a good weekend for the Galway panel. Hopefully last weekend will be forgotten.

Edited this as I realised our midfield is short. No Duggan for Annaghdown Friday and no Tom Flynn for Athenry. Unsure if FOC featured this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

grbear wrote: »
    According to Paul Galvins in the Sunday Times Ruairi Lavelle plays for Corofin and was very impressive against Ballintubber last December.

That article was absolutely terrible. He should stick to selling his long johns in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭threeball

Sean Andy is carrying too much weight and hasn't been performing for Galway apart from the first year he joined the panel. Unfortunately it's a position we have very few options in and he knows it. Far too comfortable with his position. Could do with being dropped for a few games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Saw Sean Andy play a club league game earlier in the season and he was very ordinary also. Young Mulkerrin from Aran Islands is very promising, though this won't be his year. Perhaps Duane worth a look in this position? (Doubt it will happen though.) Sean Moran a bit limited the few times I've seen him, just don't think he has the football for county level.

Milltown underperforming from the highs of last year, but don't think manager Diarmuid Blake is... emmm... the sharpest tool going around. Will struggle to progress now I think, having drawn their first game.

Seemed to be a pretty good weekend for county men; McDaid for Abbey and Cooke for Moycullen were both prominent. Two Kellys not as much. Bradshaw didn't tog for some reason. Didn't hear as yet if anyone picked up injuries. Realistically though, if Corofin can dish out a hiding like that, then the championship is practically redundant. A greater chance of Dublin being beaten this year than Corofin I'd say.

If you're a glass half-full person, you might think Galway could exploit Kerry's poor defence when/if they meet in Killarney in a few weeks; plus, they have Donegal at home, which gives them a tiny glimmer of hope. If we play like last week, it's irrelevant, we won't make it that far, and personally, I don't think we will.

MfMan wrote: »
    Saw Sean Andy play a club league game earlier in the season and he was very ordinary also. Young Mulkerrin from Aran Islands is very promising, though this won't be his year. Perhaps Duane worth a look in this position? (Doubt it will happen though.) Sean Moran a bit limited the few times I've seen him, just don't think he has the football for county level.

Milltown underperforming from the highs of last year, but don't think manager Diarmuid Blake is... emmm... the sharpest tool going around. Will struggle to progress now I think, having drawn their first game.

Seemed to be a pretty good weekend for county men; McDaid for Abbey and Cooke for Moycullen were both prominent. Two Kellys not as much. Bradshaw didn't tog for some reason. Didn't hear as yet if anyone picked up injuries. Realistically though, if Corofin can dish out a hiding like that, then the championship is practically redundant. A greater chance of Dublin being beaten this year than Corofin I'd say.

If you're a glass half-full person, you might think Galway could exploit Kerry's poor defence when/if they meet in Killarney in a few weeks; plus, they have Donegal at home, which gives them a tiny glimmer of hope. If we play like last week, it's irrelevant, we won't make it that far, and personally, I don't think we will.

Suspended I'd say, didn't he get a straight red in the last game?

I saw Trevor Mullins in action at midfield for Monivea Abbey yesterday evening, he looked fairly handy. Ronan Steede was also excellent for Corofin but that ship has sailed as regards the county panel, plus James's weren't really much competition yesterday.

MfMan wrote:

Think Duane's shipped has sailed for full back. He had a decent league for Galway but played mostly at 11. He was brought on the odd time in the half back line. I think he mainly plays midfield/centre forward for James now too. One interesting game in the league was Monaghan. Duane was named at 3 but played 11 (was probably our best player that day) the player that actually played 3 was Sean Kelly. Hard to know will KW have any change of heart from his norm. But after Roscommon beat us two years ago he made a raft of changes for the Donegal game and we gave them a hammering. You never know.

With that draw Galway look to have a 50/50 chance of something difficult or relatively straightforward to the Average 8's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭threeball

MfMan wrote: »

I think we better worry about who we get next round rather than going to Killarney or playing Donegal. on the evidence so far we wouldn't beat any of the teams left in the championship.

At this stage I'd prefer if the misery of watching the current set up just ended besides getting embarrassed in the next 3 games.

With that draw Galway look to have a 50/50 chance of something difficult or relatively straightforward to the Average 8's.

The draw has worked out very well for Galway

Winner of Tyrone and Kildare is the one to avoid, but have a clear psychological edge over Mayo these days, and shouldn't have much issues with Westmeath/Clare or Laois/Offaly in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

jr86 wrote: »
    The draw has worked out very well for Galway

Winner of Tyrone and Kildare is the one to avoid, but have a clear psychological edge over Mayo these days, and shouldn't have much issues with Westmeath/Clare or Laois/Offaly in fairness

We thought we wouldn’t have much issues with Roscommon either........!!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

Is the rule that you cannot play a team you already played in force here? In that case Armagh couldn't play Cavan. Doesn't look like it would have an impact here.

I don't think our luck is in, we would definitely get the more difficult draw. The tie of the round is Galway v Mayo or Tyrone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    We thought we wouldn’t have much issues with Roscommon either........!!

Lets be honest Roscommon are a bit better than Westmeath/Clare or Laois/Offaly.

Advertisement