Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

threeball wrote: »
    Not a chance this surpasses the capacity of Tullamore I reckon. We won't bring frig all

No, but I doubt Armagh brought a huge crowd to C'bar and that was 18k. Tullamore would be my preference if Roscommon unavailable. Great town for a match and a fantastic ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭threeball

Is Hyde definitely unavailable?

In the great gaa tradition of worrying about missing out on the last few quid they'll make sure the stadium is at least double the capacity needed. Atmosphere be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Is Hyde definitely unavailable?

I remember a couple of months back was it not said that even if Roscommon got a home Connacht Final it wouldn't be on in the Hyde and that was the agreement made after the final last year until the upgrade works are completed? Could have that wrong. Gaa will want to milk the money from this and knowing our wonderful neighbours they could fill Tullamore on their own. Any other draw and like Threeball said our support would expected to be abysmal. Playing Mayo might peak the interest of a few though. Mayo Mick back in Limerick? Be some craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

No, but I doubt Armagh brought a huge crowd to C'bar and that was 18k. Tullamore would be my preference if Roscommon unavailable. Great town for a match and a fantastic ground.

There was a decent support from Armagh.

O Connor Park's ground capacity is 20,000 surely that would suffice?

Can't get a hold of the ground capacity for the Hyde?

It is hardly 25,000.I thought it was around 18,500?

Anyhow how close is Comer to starting?

Who do you guys will get the nod as number 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I'd say 10 mins max for Comer. He's played 10 mins of club football this calender year. Midfield is the big issue with potentially only Peter Cooke, only back from injury himself, fit. Think Power might return to goal personally but that situation is a bit up in the air

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote:
    Anyhow how close is Comer to starting?

seligehgit wrote:
    Who do you guys will get the nod as number 1?

Comer is on a diet of granite and has been felling trees with his bare hands the last two weeks. He'll be good to go.

Our two goalies are having a duel to the death Wednesday night. As long as there is no wedding. I'd nearly play the two of them. Lavelle spends most of his time around midfield anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Would the home away arrangement come into play here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Would the home away arrangement come into play here?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

I would assume nothing when it comes to Walshes team selections.
    How it will even work given the fact that most want him gone at this stage is a mystery.

Doubt he will play Power for a start which will be an immediate bone of contention

Can't see Walsh playing too many of the corofin lads - Lavelle will be in goals, it's debatable whether Molloy will be at wing back and I'd be surprised if farragher is started.

My money would be on comer starting/coming on even though he's not fully fit

If galway can't mount a gallop for playing mayo, then I'd be amazed if Walsh is in charge for the connacht league next year. Even if the get over Mayo, it'd be more a stay of execution than anything else

RMAOK wrote: »
    Can't see Walsh playing too many of the corofin lads - Lavelle will be in goals, it's debatable whether Molloy will be at wing back and I'd be surprised if farragher is started.

My money would be on comer starting/coming on even though he's not fully fit

If galway can't mount a gallop for playing mayo, then I'd be amazed if Walsh is in charge for the connacht league next year. Even if the get over Mayo, it'd be more a stay of execution than anything else

Don't see it myself either. Hes hardly going to change at this stage. More of the same I reckon as someone has to pick the team and take lads on and off. Unless the players have mounted a silent coup I think we will try to bore Mayo to death. Invite them into the swamp turn them over then lurch zombie like towards their goal until the invisible forcefield at their 45 halts our progress and we move across that line in suspended animation til the ref gets sick of looking at it and calls for overcarrying.

• Advertisement

One thing Walsh has proven is that he can beat Mayo. He's been manager for this full streak. After the Ros defeat 2 years back he did make changes for the Donegal game, stopped being stubborn and brought Ian Burke in and changed goalie. I think we'll see something similar. I want a change in management next year but that Donegal qualifier game does give some faith that we can turn around the crap last time

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    One thing Walsh has proven is that he can beat Mayo. He's been manager for this full streak. After the Ros defeat 2 years back he did make changes for the Donegal game, stopped being stubborn and brought Ian Burke in and changed goalie. I think we'll see something similar. I want a change in management next year but that Donegal qualifier game does give some faith that we can turn around the crap last time

The record against Mayo is a bit of a red herring.
    If I'm not mistaken in three of our last four wins they had a man sent off for a strike early in the game and we were hanging on at the end.

Our record against them looks better than it does against other teams due in a large part to that angle.

We wont see any huge turnarounds at this point now.
    The way I see it is (and in fairness to KW hes not alone in this) if you cant look at what the benchmark are doing in regards to kickouts and see the benefit in copying them you're not going to see other aspects that you need to change.

He said after the Roscommon game that they won two of our kickouts(just after HT), scored and it was pivotal.
    Well guess what Kevin that's one aspect of the game you're completely in control of influencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

If I'm not mistaken in three of our last four wins they had a man sent off for a strike early in the game and we were hanging on at the end.

You either win the game or you don't. You could put asterisks against most wins for some reason or other. We kicked a rake of wides, we missed 4 goal chances, the wind picked up at half-time, the ref rode us, etc, etc. In Mayo's case a lot of those red cards came out of frustration about how the game was going at the time.

I'm not even a fan of Walsh but if you start putting asterisks against a manager's victories then they have no chance.

You either win the game or you don't. You could put asterisks against most wins for some reason or other. We kicked a rake of wides, we missed 4 goal chances, the wind picked up at half-time, the ref rode us, etc, etc.

I like them excuses. They are the solid ones. I've become more inventive as the years have gone on. I remember being down in Cork for a league game one year and felt the empty terrace was very off putting against the white posts and was easily the reason we couldn't hit the back of a barn. You need to have a few fresh ones for the drive home.

Our record against them looks better than it does against other teams due in a large part to that angle.

They had a man rightly sent off twice. One of those was 17, where they got a freak goal in the first half to make it close in a low scoring game. The other 3 games were no sending offs and two of those were comfortable victories. We've had the Indian sign over them and been better than them in our meetings, there's no disputing that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Interestingly won't this be the first time Ian burke starts against Mayo in championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They had a man rightly sent off twice. One of those was 17, where they got a freak goal in the first half to make it close in a low scoring game. The other 3 games were no sending offs and two of those were comfortable victories. We've had the Indian sign over them and been better than them in our meetings, there's no disputing that

I remember we lost a Connacht semi-final in 2015 to Mayo largely in part to a freakish own goal. Last time they beat us in fact.

Still counts as a loss at the end of the day.

jr86 wrote:
    Interestingly won't this be the first time Ian burke starts against Mayo in championship?

If he starts. He should but it's fair to say he was very poor in the Connacht Final.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Its a bit of a shambles if the game has to be held in limerick. GAA need to invest in roscommon if its not up to standard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Apparently Galway agreed to flip a coin on who gets home advantage but mayo refused so its going to limerick for a double header and Galway mayo the second game throwing in at 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Apparently Galway agreed to flip a coin on who gets home advantage but mayo refused so its going to limerick for a double header and Galway mayo the second game throwing in at 7

Salthill is a kip and needs to be gotten rid not fit to accommodate the crowd expected,Saturday evening, traffic is a joke and the wind there negates home advantage for the hurlers or footballers

I says wrote: »
    Salthill is a kip and needs to be gotten rid not fit to accommodate the crowd expected,Saturday evening, traffic is a joke and the wind there negates home advantage for the hurlers or footballers

The revised capacity is 26k, how would that not be big enough? It has plenty of faults but the weather forecast for sat is lovely with little wind, a game like that with a session in the city afterwards would be an epic prospect. Not put out by Limerick though, certainly prefer it to Hyde park

The revised capacity is 26k, how would that not be big enough? It has plenty of faults but the weather forecast for sat is lovely with little wind, a game like that with a session in the city afterwards would be an epic prospect. Not put out by Limerick though, certainly prefer it to Hyde park

Might stick up an auld toll on the Tuam bypass. Serious bucks to be made.

Might stick up an auld toll on the Tuam bypass. Serious bucks to be made.

The mayo banditos won’t be carrying cash Incase of a pirates roadblock in breaffy.
    Waste of time lad

The mayo banditos won’t be carrying cash Incase of a pirates roadblock in breaffy.
    Waste of time lad

Sh1te. Not worth throwing it up for some warm TK red lemonade and ham sandwiches.
    I'll just throw out the stingers instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Weather forecast for next Saturday I’ll believe it when I see it too far to be accurate especially for salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Typical GAA fixing this game for Saturday night. Sunday afternoon would have suited fans travelling to the game more and I’d imagine with it being a game on a Saturday night it will be on Sky rather than RTÉ. Will be less people at the game now and less able to watch it. GAA chose the tv money. For an amateur organisation they are awful fond of money. Wouldn’t mind if they gave more of it to club/inter county players but they don’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I was delighted it's in Limerick. Only Tullamore would've been preferrable as a neutral ground.

Saturday night for selfish reasons also much more convenient. Hopefully be a near sellout.

I was delighted it's in Limerick. Only Tullamore would've been preferrable as a neutral ground.

Saturday night for selfish reasons also much more convenient. Hopefully be a near sellout.

I can’t go with work but I’ll be listening on the wireless.what a week. I can’t wait. I have the flags and bunting up.up the tribes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Capacity of ground is 49k, won't be near a sell out??

Advertisement