Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

44,000 at hurling final yesterday which was full full

Hard to imagine there been more than 30k there I’d have thought although be great if there was . As a neutral would expect mayo to have big support but wouldn’t have thought galway footballers had big support ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭threeball

LuasSimon wrote: »

Hard to imagine there been more than 30k there I’d have thought although be great if there was . As a neutral would expect mayo to have big support but wouldn’t have thought galway footballers had big support ??

I think you could do well break 25k. Going off past attendances, the fact that Galway were shocking the last day out and the location any more than that would be a surprise. A half full Gaelic Grounds would be the best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

Redo91 wrote: »
    Typical GAA fixing this game for Saturday night. Sunday afternoon would have suited fans travelling to the game more and I’d imagine with it being a game on a Saturday night it will be on Sky rather than RTÉ. Will be less people at the game now and less able to watch it. GAA chose the tv money. For an amateur organisation they are awful fond of money. Wouldn’t mind if they gave more of it to club/inter county players but they don’t.

We've a whole week of moaning about the game being on a Saturday evening and only being available on Sky to look forward too....

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Not a hope in hell it'll be anywhere close to sold out. The support in Salthill for the Connacht final was very poor, there was just applause when some scores went over. Outnumbered by about 4 to 1. Would be surprised if 5000 went from Galway next Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭threeball

Not a hope in hell it'll be anywhere close to sold out. The support in Salthill for the Connacht final was very poor, there was just applause when some scores went over. Outnumbered by about 4 to 1. Would be surprised if 5000 went from Galway next Saturday.

The GAA always massively over estimate demand. Ennis would have been plenty big for this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

I says wrote: »
    Salthill is a kip and needs to be gotten rid not fit to accommodate the crowd expected,Saturday evening, traffic is a joke and the wind there negates home advantage for the hurlers or footballers

Pearse stadium is a fine ground, location is what's wrong. Wind affected most games played this weekend (feel like a parrot pointing this out repeatedly.) If home side can't take advantage of it in Salthill, where else would you expect them to do it?

Really bad form by Mayo not to toss, if true. Why should a town outside of Connacht profit from such a big game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

MfMan wrote: »
    Pearse stadium is a fine ground, location is what's wrong. Wind affected most games played this weekend (feel like a parrot pointing this out repeatedly.) If home side can't take advantage of it in Salthill, where else would you expect them to do it?

Really bad form by Mayo not to toss, if true. Why should a town outside of Connacht profit from such a big game ?

It's a great pity that Castlebar or Galway won't benefit from a financial windfall but I can see James Horan's reasoning for opting a neutral venue.He is more concerned about ensuring we maximise our chances of winning the game which the Mayo support base would understand whatever about Galway people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

seligehgit wrote: »
    It's a great pity that Castlebar or Galway won't benefit from a financial windfall but I can see James Horan's reasoning for opting a neutral venue.He is more concerned about ensuring we maximise our chances of winning the game which the Mayo support base would understand whatever about Galway people.

Given that half of Mayo live in Galway,either venue would have huge Mayo support.......daft by Horan...

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

Seems strange to be so concerned about choice of venue. Both teams have experience of winning "away" from home in recent years and both have lost in the championship at home this year already. It wasn't such a great advantage then.

Also I do think the GAA have over estimated the demand for tickets based on recent attendances.

Very hard to know how this would go. Mayo has some momentum coming in on the back of a couple of wins to lower league opposition. Galway are coming in on the back of their latest collapse and we really don't have much experience of bouncing back in the qualifiers. I think the game against Donegal was an anomaly as they were in a worse position than us at the time. Both sides have a lot of injuries too.
    Hopefully one of the Mayo lads will lose the head and gets sent off like what's happened in recent years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

LuasSimon wrote: »

It was 49,500 before the Floodlights went up.. It should still be 47,000..lots of room on the terrace on Sunday
    Official capacity is 44,300 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Ah come on now. You're downplaying the location of Pearse stadium its on the sea shore. You cant play hurling in gusts. 2 things ruin games..rain and gusting wind... its disingenuous to compare a gentle wind in Thurles to a easterly sweeping in from the Atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Big week this week

Galway v Roscommon Connacht U-20 football semi-final on Wednesday
    Galway v Kilkenny Leinster U-20 hurling semi-final on Thursday
    Galway v Mayo Connacht minor football final on Friday
    Galway v Mayo Ladies Connacht football final replay on Saturday
    Galway v Mayo football qualifier on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Galway v Roscommon Connacht U-20 football semi-final on Wednesday Galway v Kilkenny Leinster U-20 hurling semi-final on Thursday Galway v Mayo Connacht minor football final on Friday Galway v Mayo Ladies Connacht football final replay on Saturday Galway v Mayo football qualifier on Saturday

Big week this week

I'll be at them all! If the U20 games aren't covered by Galway Bay or easy access to updates I can throw up a few posts to keep those that can't attend informed. Have big hope for our U20 footballers this year.

Big week this week

Galway v Roscommon Connacht U-20 football semi-final on Wednesday
    Galway v Kilkenny Leinster U-20 hurling semi-final on Thursday
    Galway v Mayo Connacht minor football final on Friday
    Galway v Mayo Ladies Connacht football final replay on Saturday
    Galway v Mayo football qualifier on Saturday

Even without checking I knew the football wouldn't be on.
    Why are TG4 so committed to showing the U20 hurling and the complete opposite with the football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭spurshero

No point in arguing with the Mayo s on there forum . They love to talk up how great they have been last 10 years and how poor Galway have being . If there happy out let them off they haven’t won an all Ireland in 68 years and that what really matters . Moral victories are great but ya don’t need a trophy cabinet for them. Personally I think
    There on the slide and we can put a nail in the coffin sat

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway U20 football manager Padraig Joyce and his selectors have named their starting team for tomorrow night’s Connacht U20 football championship meeting with Roscommon in Kiltoom (7.30pm).

Oran Burke (Corofin)
    Ross Mahon (Corofin)
    Sean Mulkerrin (Capt – Oileáin Arann)
    Eoin McFadden (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
    Liam Boyle (Kilkerrin Clonberne)
    Ciaran Potter (Annaghdown)
    Jack Kirrane (Milltown)
    Mathias Barrett (Leitir Mor)
    Michael Collins (Tuam Stars)
    Matthew Tierney (Oughterard)
    Gavin Burke (Corofin)
    Ben O’Connell (Tuam Stars)
    Darragh Silke (Corofin)
    Padraig Costello (Dunmore MacHales)
    Rory Cunningham (St Brendan’s)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

10k tickets sold already for Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Mea culpa
    Not to be mean to either the stadium or area what I mean is getting in and out of there is a pain in the backside.
    And who cares about mayo, long may they keep losing AI finals. I’ll never forgive them or our Connacht neighbors for voting against reinstating Tony Keady all those years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

threeball wrote: »
    The GAA always massively over estimate demand. Ennis would have been plenty big for this game.

Is that not down around 13,000 capacity now?

10k tickets sold already for Saturday

I wonder is that with or with taking season tickets into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Given that half of Mayo live in Galway,either venue would have huge Mayo support.......daft by Horan...

Huge supports hasn't done us much good in recent years in Castlebar in big games, our record is actually appalling, though we are unbeaten in qualifiers there, albeit against average opposition. Personally id have preferred a toss, id be interested in hearing Horan's reasoning if in fact it was him that vetoed it

I says wrote: »
    Mea culpa
    Not to be mean to either the stadium or area what I mean is getting in and out of there is a pain in the backside.
    And who cares about mayo, long may they keep losing AI finals. I’ll never forgive them or our Connacht neighbors for voting against reinstating Tony Keady all those years ago.

Emm. think they voted for Keady if I recall, more than the others did.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Ah come on now. You're downplaying the location of Pearse stadium its on the sea shore. You cant play hurling in gusts. 2 things ruin games..rain and gusting wind... its disingenuous to compare a gentle wind in Thurles to a easterly sweeping in from the Atlantic

The Munster final last Sunday was played in a significant wind; look at the respective puck-outs in each half by the goalies. CP must be one of the few stadia where wind isn't usually a major factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I wonder is that with or with taking season tickets into account.

Galway football season tickets are rumoured to be just over 500.

Galway football season tickets are rumoured to be just over 500.

Really?? That's a big increase. It was the fantastic sum of 99 in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Emm. think they voted for Keady if I recall, more than the others did.

Nah they didn't, same as Sligo, Leitrim etc, Connacht turned against Galway for no reason. It's long been a bone of contention

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Nah they didn't, same as Sligo, Leitrim etc, Connacht turned against Galway for no reason. It's long been a bone of contention
    Jealousy, we were going for 3 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Still hard to understand it. You'd get it maybe if they were competing against Galway in hurling!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I'll be at them all! If the U20 games aren't covered by Galway Bay or easy access to updates I can throw up a few posts to keep those that can't attend informed. Have big hope for our U20 footballers this year.

Hoping to get up to the minor final on Friday night.

Not overly optimistic re our chances based on the last day out against your lads.

• Advertisement

Very, very sure Mayo voted with us that night. Still vivid in my mind that night.

Advertisement