Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭yew_tree

I says wrote: »
    Mea culpa
    Not to be mean to either the stadium or area what I mean is getting in and out of there is a pain in the backside.
    And who cares about mayo, long may they keep losing AI finals. I’ll never forgive them or our Connacht neighbors for voting against reinstating Tony Keady all those years ago.

The Tony Keady affair? I know he sadly passed away 2 years ago but I doubt what happened years ago has anything to do with the current Mayo team and supporters....

I know full Galway people are very happy when we loose finals...which is a bit sad and pathetic really considering we all shouted for ye in the hurling final 3 years ago....

and there were lovely signs in Breaffy last year too but up by yer lot...classy. Anyway may the best team win Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

yew_tree wrote: »
    The Tony Keady affair? I know he sadly passed away 2 years ago but I doubt what happened years ago has anything to do with the current Mayo team and supporters....

I know full Galway people are very happy when we loose finals...which is a bit sad and pathetic really considering we all shouted for ye in the hurling final 3 years ago....

and there were lovely signs in Breaffy last year too but up by yer lot...classy. Anyway may the best team win Sat.

Thanks. We all shout for yeer hurlers too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

MfMan wrote: »
    Very, very sure Mayo voted with us that night. Still vivid in my mind that night.

There was a piece on OTB about it a couple of years ago. They mentioned that all Connacht counties voted against Galway. Cyril Farrell seemed to agree with it if I remember correctly. I'm just slightly too young to remember the Keady affair at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

its not just Galway people that are very happy when you lose finals anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Stop the weeping there bud. Vast vast majority of Galway people shouted Mayo on in those finals.

The signs one is funny, you can almost imagine some Mayo smartarses trying to devise a revenge sign this time around but don't know what to put on it given that Mayo haven't beaten Galway for 18 straight games and are so inferior historically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

yew_tree wrote:

yew_tree wrote:

Have you seen the video of the Mayo panel having wild celebrations when Limerick beat us last year? Almost like they won an All Ireland. Not that they would know much about it.

And classy signs ended up in Salthill a few years back too having a pop at Galway.

Those in glass houses....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

MfMan wrote: »
    Very, very sure Mayo voted with us that night. Still vivid in my mind that night.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0810/896543-the-keady-affair/
    Tipperary’s delegate voted to allow Keady play against his own county, but the four non-hurling counties in Connacht, much to Galway’s lingering disgust, gave the appeal the thumbs down and Keady lost the vote 20-18.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

Have you seen the video of the Mayo panel having wild celebrations when Limerick beat us last year? Almost like they won an All Ireland. Not that they would know much about it.

And classy signs ended up in Salthill a few years back too having a pop at Galway.

Ah I don't know, I know loads of great Galway football people and when we both take off our county tinted sunglasses we always have great chats about our counties and football in general, at the end of the day winning/losing its the big days out you remember and who you were with. Some years Mayo will win, some years Galway will win, it's only online that I come across this bizarre almost hatred of a county whether it's Mayo or Galway. Maybe it's always been there, but I've never seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭threeball

Alot of people got really pissed off when Aidan O Shea had a bitch about Galway being physical in the game in Salthill a few years ago even though Mayo had dished it out for years before. Don't give it then moan about it when you get it back. Theres a few on that team who love themselves and that never helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭FrPhelimYoung

I’m intrigued....never seen or heard of this video! I find it hard to believe to be honest.

• Advertisement

I’m intrigued....never seen or heard of this video! I find it hard to believe to be honest.

After a wedding. Taken in a pub in Ballindine.

Barlett wrote:
    Ah I don't know, I know loads of great Galway football people and when we both take off our county tinted sunglasses we always have great chats about our counties and football in general, at the end of the day winning/losing its the big days out you remember and who you were with. Some years Mayo will win, some years Galway will win, it's only online that I come across this bizarre almost hatred of a county whether it's Mayo or Galway. Maybe it's always been there, but I've never seen it.

I didn't mean anything to come across as hatred. In sport that shouldn't really exist. I have the mis fortune of having friends and colleagues from Mayo. It is what it is. But this notion of getting upset because Galway fans don't want Mayo winning always gets me. I don't think Dublin want Meath winning or vice versa. Same for Cork or Kerry. It's what rivalry is always about. The worse thing I ever felt in the years Mayo were beating us was some Mayo fans feeling sorry for us. You know you're in a very bad place when your biggest rivals are offering sympathy. I have no "hatred" towards Mayo but I have no will or desire to see them win unless it benefits Galway. And I expect nothing less in return from Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway U20 hurlers to face Kilkenny

1. Darach Fahy (Ardrahan)

2. Darren Morrissey (Sarsfields)

3. Mark Gill (Castlegar)

4. Caimin Killeen (Loughrea)- Joint Captain

5. Ronan Glennon (Mullagh)

6. T.J. Brennan (Clarinbridge)

7. Daniel Loftus (Turloughmore)

8. Seán Neary (Castlegar)

9. Conor Caulfield (Kilconieron)

10. Diarmuid Kilcommins (Annaghdown)

11. Conor Walsh ( Turloughmore)

12. Shane Ryan (Clarinbridge)

13. Mark Kennedy (Clarinbridge)

14. John Fleming (Meelick-Eyrecourt)

15. Seán Bleahene (Ahascragh-Fohenagh)- Joint Captain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Barlett wrote: »
    it's only online that I come across this bizarre almost hatred of a county whether it's Mayo or Galway. Maybe it's always been there, but I've never seen it.

Na online forums/Social Media always attract the more extreme supporters, and a higher proportion of - frankly - socially awkward people, with no lives stuck in their bedrooms, who are angry at the world in general - and the internet is their only real outlet. Add in those who just go around fishing for likes with opinions they may not even truly hold, and you will always get a much more skewed representation. *

The average fans you meet in the pubs/terraces and so on are far more level-headed and good natured.

have no problem with anyone disliking either county, and that's their own business, but its not as common-place as the internet would have you believe

* By the way the above is not aimed at anyone here at all - more Twitter tbh.

3. Mark Gill (Castlegar)

Two Cashel lads and TJ Brennan are serious prospects and would be the main hope of breaking into senior team in next few years imo - along with Morrissey obviously

Also can anyone explain the fad with joint captains?

Is it one up front and one in defence or something? Or just so its not a lone voice :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

jr86 wrote: »
    Also can anyone explain the fad with joint captains?

Is it one up front and one in defence or something? Or just so its not a lone voice :confused:

More inclusive dog dodo in case anybody’s feelings get hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

3. Mark Gill (Castlegar)

Donal o Shea lads has he dropped of the face of the earth? Overage or injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

He can't be overage anyways - he was playing minor (u-17) last year.....

Galway 9 points Roscommon 1-2. Should be more comfortable than what it is. Fluke of a goal where the goalie lost it in the sun. Matty Tierney is some prospect.

• Advertisement

Shooting boots deserted Galway second half. Still pretty comfortable at 17 points to 1-7.

He's in the squad. Presume he's on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Galway 9 points Roscommon 1-2. Should be more comfortable than what it is. Fluke of a goal where the goalie lost it in the sun. Matty Tierney is some prospect.

Tierney was very impressive in the first half. Landed a fantastic free on left win with left foot. The number 15 from
    Ballygar scored some nice points too.

This is getting grim.

Brilliant first 10mins without any score board reward and the next 10 have been the complete opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The handpassing and first touch is shocking. Young Glennon probs the only lad winning any battles.

Breeze is strong enough too.

Year to forget for Galway hurling.

Year to forget for Galway hurling.

Minors are exceptional!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭testtech05

Will the teams be named this evening for tomorrows game? However accurate either of them will be :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Galway team being announced this evening accord to Galway Bay FM, but like you said I'm sure there'll be plenty of shadow boxing and we won't know the real line up until about 6.59 tomorrow evening.

Advertisement