Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

elefant wrote: »
    It hasn't been so bad on here, no. In general, this forum is pretty reasonable.

Previously mentioned supporters pages have been rife with that sort of talk though, and it got people's backs up. I think that's what has caused Corofin players to be getting extra, unfair grief after the game in this thread.

Facebook is the graveyard of debate and decent conversation. Every dope with 2 mins on their hands will chime in once it appears on their feed. I'd have zero respect for anything on there.

There definitely has been such calls. Also, you mention Kieran Molloy - he is an easy one to mention now because he is the one who hasnt really gotten much of a chance (and it can be argued thats because of injury & club commitments). I have no doubt that if Walsh started Cummins, you would have people on here saying that Martin Farragher should be starting because of his AI club final performances.

There is an issue with Corofin but it is neither their fault or Walsh's fault. The problem lies with the club calendar. It has been impossible for a Corofin player to really claim a place on that team in the last couple of years because of their club commitments. This year, there was an effort to have them involved in FBD & some league matches. But the problem there is that even if one played well, he would be gone the next week with Corofin and somebody would take his place.

I am not convinced that Molloy or Martin Farragher are good enough. However, they have done enough at club level to be given a chance and they could grow into roles with Galway. Players like Brannigan & Heaney have done that because they were allowed to grow throughout league campaigns.

I can't see how Molloy isn't a better option than Gary O Donnell. Great servant but limited going forward and certainly not the future which is what we should be developing.

There's no plan with this team. We aren't looking to develop the new talent and we aren't in the running for all Irelands. So what are we at. It's neither one nor the other. You're either trying to transition or you're just make up the numbers. The lack of direction is astounding for a county set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Imv calls for Joyce to be promoted to senior management is premature nor would Padraic want it in these circumstances at this moment and time imo.. I wonder in the event of Walsh staying on would there be any support at all for a Walsh/Joyce team with a complete rejigging of the backroom team cos there was definitely something lacking in the backroom this year... Just throwing that out there

Imv calls for Joyce to be promoted to senior management is premature nor would Padraic want it in these circumstances at this moment and time imo.. I wonder in the event of Walsh staying on would there be any support at all for a Walsh/Joyce team with a complete rejigging of the backroom team cos there was definitely something lacking in the backroom this year... Just throwing that out there

Too early for Joyce I think. He won't want it either as you say as it means a former team mate getting the push. I wouldn't throw my lot in with Walsh either if I were him. Too much baggage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

spurshero wrote: »
    No doubt there’s bad Galway supporters . I was just suprised at the amount of mayo abuse . 3 of us were walking out with 2 Mins to go when them comments started . One thing to be a bad loser but to be a bad winner is a lot worse . Anyway I’m checking outta here for a while .

Every county has these classless clowns, when Galway hammered Roscommon in Castlebar in 2016 we left with a few minutes to go and some smug Galway idiot said "Don't leave, yere great craic", what's worse is that he was there with 2 young children. I wouldn't hold his attitude against Galway people though and in general I find Galway supporters ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Every county has these classless clowns, when Galway hammered Roscommon in Castlebar in 2016 we left with a few minutes to go and some smug Galway idiot said "Don't leave, yere great craic", what's worse is that he was there with 2 young children. I wouldn't hold his attitude against Galway people though and in general I find Galway supporters ok.

Your easily upset........

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Your easily upset........

Where did I say I was upset? It's just classless, say nothing or wish someone good luck, no need for these smug remarks when leaving a game when your team is after getting well beaten. As someone on here said a bad loser is bad but a bad winner is worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I had Mayo flags waved in my face after the penalty miss. It's just craic and no ill-will meant by it. The same Mayo rascals were gettin great stick from myself while Mayo were on the ropes.

It's all part and parcel of what makes live matches way better than sitting at home or in the pub. I'd rather not see them win Sam but Mayo supporters are terrific fans that back their team all over the country. It's a shame some of them still want to whinge after a big win.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Talk of Joyce is premature and only puts unnecessary pressure on the U-20s.

I think the county board need to address the following issues before next year's leagues.

-Sort out the social media accounts and PR in general. We are lucky to have a fantastic partner in Supermacs but I believe we are doing a terrible job of selling Galway GAA. Go back to last Wednesday and there was very little in the way of updates from the Galway account while the Roscommon account was providing score by score updates. The same thing happened when the minors played Sligo. It's not good enough.

-The issue of attendance figures needs serious tackling. Maybe try to revive TribesmenGAA for starters. If we need to arrange park and ride services from the outskirts of Galway in order to get people into Pearse Stadium for league matches then go for it. It's embarrassing going to games like the Connacht final and Saturday where Galway fans are massively outnumbered by counties with smaller populations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

PJ has said he has no interest in the senior job yet. He stated work reasons but I'm sure he didn't want to be seen angling for Walsh's job publicly. Besides he's only started management himself. He needs a few years experience under his belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

PJ has said he has no interest in the senior job yet. He stated work reasons but I'm sure he didn't want to be seen angling for Walsh's job publicly. Besides he's only started management himself. He needs a few years experience under his belt.

Just because he said it doesnt mean it is true! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

I would prefer a manager with some experience like Rochford rather than going down the great player route.Malachy O'Rourke would be a better option than PJ at this point in time.

vid36 wrote: »
    I would prefer a manager with some experience like Rochford rather than going down the great player route.Malachy O'Rourke would be a better option than PJ at this point in time.

Rochford is the ideal candidate but I really have a feeling Walsh is going to hang on until his contract runs out or hes pushed. I think he has no intention of walking away. His comments after the match said as much. He pretty much thinks everyone outside the camp is clueless and have no reason to complain as they couldn't be doing any better than they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I think that Kevin has no intention of leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I think Kevin has brought us to base camp
    But we'll never summit with him
    We need a new team for that final push for the summit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

RobbieRuns wrote: »

I think you might be right. The fact that he didn't announce straight away that he was stepping down means he likely intends to come back.

Think it's best for all that there is a parting of the ways now.

I think you might be right. The fact that he didn't announce straight away that he was stepping down means he likely intends to come back.

Think it's best for all that there is a parting of the ways now.

Unlikely that the county board will sack him and he knows that. So does that mean a player revolt as I don't see that happening either. 2020 will be another write off. If I was on that team and in my mid to late twenties I wouldn't be coming back to play for him next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

How about Kevin O'Brien for manager? He is capable of getting the Corofin lads to perform!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

gammygils wrote: »
    How about Kevin O'Brien for manager? He is capable of getting the Corofin lads to perform!

You could make the same argument for rochford who, unlike, O'Brien, has experience of managing a senior inter county team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

gammygils wrote: »

Or maybe its a case that the Corofin lads don't get the same time and room on the ball to perform at county level as they do at club level and regardless of what style of play is used under a new management that will remain the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Condenser wrote: »
    Rochford is the ideal candidate but I really have a feeling Walsh is going to hang on until his contract runs out or hes pushed. I think he has no intention of walking away. His comments after the match said as much. He pretty much thinks everyone outside the camp is clueless and have no reason to complain as they couldn't be doing any better than they are.

Unlikely that the county board will sack him and he knows that. So does that mean a player revolt as I don't see that happening either. 2020 will be another write off. If I was on that team and in my mid to late twenties I wouldn't be coming back to play for him next year.
    You seem a little too influenced by Sky Sports and EPL

This is GAA, no sacking,no contracts. Managers come and go as they please, unless player power forces them out as was the case with Galway Hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I always find the idea of 2/3/4 year terms for GAA managers interesting.

Manager can quit at any time.

But, can the County Board end only if a motion of no confidence is proposed and carried at the AGM? Otherwise, manager continues to end of term.

You seem a little too influenced by Sky Sports and EPL

This is GAA, no sacking,no contracts. Managers come and go as they please, unless player power forces them out as was the case with Galway Hurlers.

Maybe contract was the right word but he's been given a term so much the same. Plenty of managers have been given the push so don't know what you're on about there. And I already said he won't go unless the players push him. You must be very uptight if those posts get under your skin. Hardly controversial

Redsoxfan wrote: »

But, can the County Board end only if a motion of no confidence is proposed and carried at the AGM? Otherwise, manager continues to end of term.

No, offaly got rid of their manager mid season and brought in Joachim Kelly. Did the same to Babs and brought in Michael Bond. Loads of examples of managers given the heave ho.

Or maybe its a case that the Corofin lads don't get the same time and room on the ball to perform at county level as they do at club level and regardless of what style of play is used under a new management that will remain the case.

You have to create space and KW hasn't the first clue how to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Galway Co Board will be missing a fair few quid now that they're out of both codes before the business end. Could be time for that motion.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Galway Co Board will be missing a fair few quid now that they're out of both codes before the business end. Could be time for that motion.

I don't think it needs to come to that. Some CB representatives need to have a word in his ear and say thanks Kevin but I think it's best we go in another direction. If he doesn't go of his own accord then you have to go the awkward route. He seems like a stubborn man.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

RobbieRuns wrote: »

of course he hasn't, he's making to much money

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I reckon Paddy Tally was a big loss to the backroom staff. Defense has been compromised big time this season compared to last.
    We need another Paddy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I don't think it needs to come to that. Some CB representatives need to have a word in his ear and say thanks Kevin but I think it's best we go in another direction. If he doesn't go of his own accord then you have to go the awkward route. He seems like a stubborn man.

He does and what's concerning is that he never seems to allow for any criticism of himself, his tactics, or the players. He seems to believe he is doing a great job and that all criticism is unjustified.

Yes it's fair to say that some of the personal abuse he has received is out of order but as manager of the county team he has to accept responsibility for on-field performances, and take the criticism that comes with it. If he can't handle that stuff then he shouldn't be there.

Personally I think he deserves credit for what he did in the first couple of years after taking over, shoring up a porous defence, getting us back to division 1, and restoring confidence and credibility after some bad years.

But at no point has there been any indication that he can take this group on to another level. That he has any tactical clue beyond the dull, horribly negative football we've endured over the last few years. Jim McGuinness evolved the Donegal system from all-out defence to a dynamic counter-attacking style but Kevin Walsh has shown neither the willingness nor the coaching nous to do anything like that. His race is run.

Advertisement