Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Johnny Ward
    @Ui_Maine
    My understanding is that Galway hurling squad working on a revolt against county board with primary intention to both reinstate Micheál Donoghue as manager and oust a leading player in said board. Interesting times ahead.

Where is that coming from? Is it pub talk, or something more substantive?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Where is that coming from? Is it pub talk, or something more substantive?

Johnny Ward from OTB tweeted it. That's as much as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭threeball

Johnny Ward
    @Ui_Maine
    My understanding is that Galway hurling squad working on a revolt against county board with primary intention to both reinstate Micheál Donoghue as manager and oust a leading player in said board. Interesting times ahead.

Which club is this unpopular county board member from?
    I can't see Donoghue coming back now that he's gone. If he did its the ideal scenario to head in to a new year. Also, does this kind of confirm the idea that the rumour was put out there by the CB that the players weren't happy and thats why he left.

I had a look at the Galway GAA website to have a look at the board members and committees. Much like the twitter and facebook pages theres not much work done on this either. On the hurling finance committee it lists the Senior Team manager.... John McIntyre. Farcical stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

threeball wrote: »
    I had a look at the Galway GAA website to have a look at the board members and committees. Much like the twitter and facebook pages theres not much work done on this either. On the hurling finance committee it lists the Senior Team manager.... John McIntyre. Farcical stuff.

It’s a terrible website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If the hurlers want to go against them I'd happily back them.

The hurlers won us an All-Ireland and have given us memorable days out even in 2019. The board can't even allegedly guarantee the safety of ticket money left in the boot of a car.

The hurlers won us an All-Ireland and have given us memorable days out even in 2019. The board can't even allegedly guarantee the safety of ticket money left in the boot of a car.

Too many of the same old heads stuck around there forever. Its a bit of a junket. They need to be getting new blood in there regularly and they really should have damn all to do with finances. If you look at the list of names, its the same 7 or 8 lads on every committee. You can't run an organisation of that size with 7 or 8 making decisions on everything from discipline, to fixtures, to finance. Root and branch reform needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Whatever about ousting a county board member but revolting to keep Donoghue?

Sure he has 4 years done, he would have only done another 1 or 2 max surely? I have great time for him myself, but at the same time is it all that much harm have a fresh face to come in and start from scratch again to re-ignite the passion and desire that never really got going this year?

Hard to imagine guys who feel they are entitled to more game time actively revolting, and -lets be honest - they're probably more likely to privately wish for someone new in fairness! Its only human nature. I don't think I've ever heard of a manager to please a full squad, but I've certainly heard of plenty that antagonise a full squad!

"Revolts" are generally more for getting rid of someone, not keeping someone

jr86 wrote: »
    Whatever about ousting a county board member but revolting to keep Donoghue?

Sure he has 4 years done, he would have only done another 1 or 2 max surely? I have great time for him myself, but at the same time is it all that much harm have a fresh face to come in and start from scratch again to re-ignite the passion and desire that never really got going this year?

Hard to imagine guys who feel they are entitled to more game time actively revolting, and -lets be honest - they're probably more likely to privately wish for someone new in fairness! Its only human nature. I don't think I've ever heard of a manager to please a full squad, but I've certainly heard of plenty that antagonise a full squad!

"Revolts" are generally more for getting rid of someone, not keeping someone

He's obviously very well respected by the panel if they're talking about going down this route. They were also probably told by Donoghue that they were being refused funding for x or y and the players have taken exception to that. As I said in an earlier post, they are now up against some seriously well financed opposition. Tipp, Kk, Dublin, Limerick, wexford are all pumping money into their county teams. If they start off at a disadvantage here its a big ask to make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

Have no skin in the game, but would tend to agree. Seems to be be the same ****e in many county boards across the country - nepotism, fiddling with funds, and general incompetence from lads who couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. Players and indeed management teams who put in the effort deserve more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

If the hurlers want to do that they will be able to. Public support will be far higher for them and Donoghue than Board. I hope they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

McIntyre as the manager - God almighty, that's a ridiculous website. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

jr86 wrote: »
    Pretty pivotal weekend in the club football championship.

In senior its the first real week of proper do or die action. Will get a much clearer picture of potential QFists and relegation bound sides

In intermediate its the last round of group games, all the QFists will be decided. I'm pretty sure only 3 teams are certain of QF places out of 8 heading into the weekend, and only 1 has top spot sewn up. The 16 team, 4x4 group, format works an absolute treat and its great the senior is moving to the same. Intermediate will be all played off in the first weekend of October

Milltown v Michaels

James v Tuam

Killererin v Barna

Carraroe v Moycullen
    Mountbellew v Killannin

Salthill v Spiddal

Corofin v Claregalway

Leitir Mor v Annaghdown

Predicted winners in bold. Not sure if Antaine O'Laoi is available for Spiddal, if not then that would tip it to Salthill. Claregalway could give Corofin a good rattle too but you'd have to think Corofin are beginning to ramp things up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hurlers are meeting tonight. Things are going to get messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

https://twitter.com/peterswellman/status/1164935015597301763?s=19

Hurlers holding a meeting tonight to discuss how Donoghues exit was handled. Looks like things are going to get messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

Popcorn ready, this is going to get interesting. The players got their way last time and won an All Ireland. You would imagine public opinion would be on their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

This is already a bad look. It doesn’t need to descend into full on farce. Board should meet with players rep this weekend and discuss concerns. The players are very unlikely to just back down, no need to drag it out hoping they do.

Not sure how likely an agreement is given the apparent issues are with the County board but they should try to be proactive on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I saw a post a few days ago about Athenry being exonerated from Kimmage's accusations.

Hopefully with the backing of the apology and the High Court judgement they will take him for a few pounds.

It seems he may have "imagined" some of the quotes he used, in his own inimitable fashion. then again he once built a similar piece against a north Dublin club on an "angry intervention" from the floor of the AGM.

It was himself :-)

Glad to hear he has been exposed once again.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    This is already a bad look. It doesn’t need to descend into full on farce. Board should meet with players rep this weekend and discuss concerns. The players are very unlikely to just back down, no need to drag it out hoping they do.

Not sure how likely an agreement is given the apparent issues are with the County board but they should try to be proactive on it anyway.

I think you're giving the board too much credit. I doubt they'll even have the common sense to do such a thing. They'll circle the wagons and back one another to the hilt

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I think you're giving the board too much credit. I doubt they'll even have the common sense to do such a thing. They'll circle the wagons and back one another to the hilt

The thing is, there are major issues finding good people willing to commit the serious time and effort required to run a county board and all that goes with it in these times.
    There are plenty people with ideas and willing to talk the talk but very few who will walk the walk and give up their own time often with very little thanks so you end up in situations like this.
    Similar issues exist at club levels in various clubs where it is difficult find the right people to keep things going an improve.
    This doesn't condone the behaviour of those in those positions but it should make people think about volunteering and putting their time into improving things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Robert2014 wrote: »
    Popcorn ready, this is going to get interesting. The players got their way last time and won an All Ireland. You would imagine public opinion would be on their side.

It will because the County Board are a comedy shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

kippy wrote: »
    The thing is, there are major issues finding good people willing to commit the serious time and effort required to run a county board and all that goes with it in these times.
    There are plenty people with ideas and willing to talk the talk but very few who will walk the walk and give up their own time often with very little thanks so you end up in situations like this.
    Similar issues exist at club levels in various clubs where it is difficult find the right people to keep things going an improve.
    This doesn't condone the behaviour of those in those positions but it should make people think about volunteering and putting their time into improving things.

Galway Gaa is a multi million organisation and it needs to be run like a multi million organisation with the right expertise.

Not the way it's being currently run like an old man's club. The corruption and fraud previously exposed is only the tip of the iceberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Galway Gaa is a multi million organisation and it needs to be run like a multi million organisation with the right expertise.

Not the way it's being currently run like an old man's club. The corruption and fraud previously exposed is only the tip of the iceberg.

I don't disagree, my point is there are plenty, like yourself, with great broad ideas, but very few willing to give up their time to try implement them. Lots of people saying things should be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe Kane

grbear wrote: »

Hurlers holding a meeting tonight to discuss how Donoghues exit was handled. Looks like things are going to get messy.

Carney is the lad they want out. Constantly putting obstacles in Donoghue's way finacially one being not having paid the foreign lad that works on their fitness etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Joe Kane wrote: »
    Carney is the lad they want out. Constantly putting obstacles in Donoghue's way finacially one being not having paid the foreign lad that works on their fitness etc

Kearney? Amazing that he’s still there considering what’s gone on

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe Kane

h2005 wrote: »
    Kearney? Amazing that he’s still there considering what’s gone on

Yep. The cut of him last sunday in croke park was enough.

Players has my backing anyways. I'd say Donoghue will be back as well.

grbear wrote: »

How the hell can they be so backward as to think they can't pay any consultant to the team, be it fitness, video analysis or whatever. Half these bellends convince themselves "shur I could do that job myself" and believe the person doesn't deserve to be paid on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

How the hell can they be so backward as to think they can't pay any consultant to the team, be it fitness, video analysis or whatever. Half these bellends convince themselves "shur I could do that job myself" and believe the person doesn't deserve to be paid on that basis.

It goes on in nearly every county. I'm from Offaly and a few years back was part of the county minor management. Six months into our season I was chatting our physio coming back on the bus from a game. She told me she had yet to receive a penny despite putting in her bill's every month.
    The previous year I was down scouting the Arabaun and our u16s had no medical person with them. One player got a serious injury and thankfully the Wexford medical team looked after him.
    The problem as pointed out above is the time involved with any of these county board roles makes it hard to recruit the people necessary to run for board positions.

It goes on in nearly every county. I'm from Offaly and a few years back was part of the county minor management. Six months into our season I was chatting our physio coming back on the bus from a game. She told me she had yet to receive a penny despite putting in her bill's every month.
    The previous year I was down scouting the Arabaun and our u16s had no medical person with them. One player got a serious injury and thankfully the Wexford medical team looked after him.
    The problem as pointed out above is the time involved with any of these county board roles makes it hard to recruit the people necessary to run for board positions.

It's a very Irish attitude alright. See value in nothing and reluctance to pay for anything. How they would expect to recruit any decent s&c in Galway next year once the word went out that he wasn't paid is anyone's guess. That's a small world.

The players in most counties end up having to hassle in order to get expenses. I know a lad who waited until the beginning of the following season before he was paid for the previous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Yep. The cut of him last sunday in croke park was enough.

Players has my backing anyways. I'd say Donoghue will be back as well.

Donoghue would be a fool if he went back. If I was him I’d wish the players well and carry on my way.id also call out the county board publicly for what they are.a bunch of frauds. The mafia aren’t a patch on them.
    It’s the same nation wide.87000 in Dublin for the final at 90 euro a ticket and the players classed as amateur.only paddy Irishman could get away with it.
    A couple of million into the gaa and a pat on the back and a bowleen of soup for the players.
    It’s a fcukin joke the lot of it

Advertisement