Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Very unusual goings on with this KW thing. Danny Cummins is after coming on off the ball to defend Kevin Walsh, said he'd be begging at times for stuff, said those recommendations were something to do with going and that the camogie and ladies footballers have to fundraise themselves to raise money for hotels for their all Ireland final weekends. County board are bust and haven't a pot to piss in. Who'd want this new managers job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Amazing thing is they think they can get away with such shenanigans in the digital media age.

Instead of having a bit of manners and showing Kevin Walsh a bit of respect and gratitude after putting his whole life into Galway football,that’s how the county board treat him.bunch of frauds.
    Yes it’s time for a change but I wish Kevin well and thank him.
    Only a paddy Irishman could get away with the sh1te the county board get up to.
    Kevin Walsh and michael Donoghue are better off away from that gig.a thankless task.
    The board are looking to butter up 2 scapegoats now on half a budget cos they have the rest of it squandered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Very unusual goings on with this KW thing. Danny Cummins is after coming on off the ball to defend Kevin Walsh, said he'd be begging at times for stuff, said those recommendations were something to do with going and that the camogie and ladies footballers have to fundraise themselves to raise money for hotels for their all Ireland final weekends. County board are bust and haven't a pot to piss in. Who'd want this new managers job?

Similar stories leaked form both camps in the past couple weeks. Makes the county board look like some kind of shoddy car boot operation when the players are trying to compete with near professional set ups with the likes of Tipp and Limerick in hurling and Dublin, Kerry, Mayo and Tyrone in football.

This story will have legs yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

It is well known that Galway GAA are completely broke. I have also heard that the footballers have been treated as the poor relation compared to the hurlers in the last couple of years.

Supermac will soon pull plant from them too I’d say.he was quoted lately questioning where all his sponsorship money was being spent and whether it was being used properly.
    The mafia could learn a few things from the county board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Amazing thing is they think they can get away with such shenanigans in the digital media age.

Instead of having a bit of manners and showing Kevin Walsh a bit of respect and gratitude after putting his whole life into Galway football,that’s how the county board treat him.bunch of frauds.
    Kevin Walsh and michael Donoghue are better off away from that gig.a thankless task.
    The board are looking to butter up 2 scapegoats now on half a budget cos they have the rest of it squandered.
    You'd wonder could it ever turn into a situation like the Cork one where they went on strike there a number of years ago... Would our lads ever go that far??

You'd wonder could it ever turn into a situation like the Cork one where they went on strike there a number of years ago... Would our lads ever go that far??

Those cork hurlers had all Ireland medals in the sideboard. It's unlikely the few hurlers with only a few years left, or footballers in their peak with no all Irelands,, would give up a year now.

I see the county board updated their press release now to add back in those recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

Supermac will soon pull plant from them too I’d say.he was quoted lately questioning where all his sponsorship money was being spent and whether it was being used properly.
    The mafia could learn a few things from the county board

Might not be a bad thing... I'm sure there will be no problem getting another ... he has too much control over it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mjp

Robson99 wrote:
    Might not be a bad thing... I'm sure there will be no problem getting another ... he has too much control over it anyway

Have heard mentioned from numerous sources that whilst mc donàgh is supporting the teams there isn't the same investment as what is perceived by people. Don't know if I blame him too much for this when you see the calibre of clowns managing the pursestrings.

Wonder have comer group any interest in using some of the funding they giving Galway utd to put behind the footballers and hurlers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

It's time the county board were moved on. They lurch from one scandal to the next. Tipp put together a finance committee this year with some serious heavy hitters and we're stuck with a few gombeens who can't even organise a safe or a till.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭spurshero

mjp wrote: »
    Have heard mentioned from numerous sources that whilst mc donàgh is supporting the teams there isn't the same investment as what is perceived by people. Don't know if I blame him too much for this when you see the calibre of clowns managing the pursestrings.

Wonder have comer group any interest in using some of the funding they giving Galway utd to put behind the footballers and hurlers

Sure he gets it all back hand over fist . The amount of different Galway do s that are on in loughrea hotel since he bought it isn’t a concidence and s lot of people stop in Supermacs and plazas on way back from matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd love to see Walsh and Co's notes to the county board. I have absolutely no doubt they had the best interests of the county at heart and their input on improvements would be essential reading.

I'd love to see Walsh and Co's notes to the county board. I have absolutely no doubt they had the best interests of the county at heart and their input on improvements would be essential reading.

The mafia haven’t a hope of releasing that and Walsh and donoghue are too professional to go public and say just how it is.
    A thankless undermined job if ever there was one

threeball wrote: »
    It's time the county board were moved on. They lurch from one scandal to the next. Tipp put together a finance committee this year with some serious heavy hitters and we're stuck with a few gombeens who can't even organise a safe or a till.

Too right.

If both squads and Pat Supermac threatened to pull plant unless the CB was replaced then we might start heading somewhere. It would come to a head very quickly.

We have teams challenging for all Irelands every year on talent alone. Next to no support. Imagine what we could do with a decent set up and tell croke park we want our fair share of funding once it's in place.

And if they're stuck for money then sell Pearse stadium. No one goes there because it's a nightmare to get to and if they do go they complain about it for weeks after and vow never again. There's at least €30 million they could release from selling that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

And if they're stuck for money then sell Pearse stadium. No one goes there because it's a nightmare to get to and if they do go they complain about it for weeks after and vow never again. There's at least €30 million they could release from selling that alone.

Absolutely. Nightmare location.

Frozen Veg wrote: »

Absolutely. Nightmare location.

It's the stadia equivalent of a 40yr old going on the beer. Weeks planning to go and backing out last minute but when you eventually make the effort you regret it for about a week after and vow never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Was there talk of the Comer Brothers getting involved in a Galway GAA project recently?

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »

Was there talk of the Comer Brothers getting involved in a Galway GAA project recently?

They're involved with Galway United and my understanding is they really only get involved in anything if there's a chance of financial payback. That's not going to happen for their business type, unless they buy Pearse stadium of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

They're involved with Galway United and my understanding is they really only get involved in anything if there's a chance of financial payback. That's not going to happen for their business type, unless they buy Pearse stadium of course.

I knew about the soccer involvement alright. I thought there was something also about the GAA.

Fann Linn wrote: »

I knew about the soccer involvement alright. I thought there was something also about the GAA.

There was talks of them buying Mountain South off the CB and setting up a soccer academy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

There was talks of them buying Mountain South off the CB and setting up a soccer academy

They have bought Mountain South. Hugely reduced price. As to whether they will build what they said they will build only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

They have bought Mountain South. Hugely reduced price. As to whether they will build what they said they will build only time will tell.

Corrib great southern and Shannon oaks hotel there’s your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

spurshero wrote: »
    Sure he gets it all back hand over fist . The amount of different Galway do s that are on in loughrea hotel since he bought it isn’t a concidence and s lot of people stop in Supermacs and plazas on way back from matches

Agreed, he made an absolute killing on the all Ireland win. Sure Liam McCarthy and couple of players were in every Supermacs in Galway for about 6 months afterwards. In terms of the financial situation were in, its beyond me how they haven’t sold pearse stadium and this should put us on solid ground again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I says wrote: »
    Corrib great southern and Shannon oaks hotel there’s your answer.

This would be along my thinking too in getting involved with these lads. A lot promised. Not much delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

It's such a hard job to have a county competing for All-Irelands without been hamstrung by your County Board. I hope this is a water-shed for us to make the changes to allow us to compete to our maximum. The players and backroom team put in such sacrifices to represent us without pay, they should not be hamstrung by a county board some of whom seem to be it in for themselves and all the financial gains that come from it!!

Robert2014 wrote: »
    It's such a hard job to have a county competing for All-Irelands without been hamstrung by your County Board. I hope this is a water-shed for us to make the changes to allow us to compete to our maximum. The players and backroom team put in such sacrifices to represent us without pay, they should not be hamstrung by a county board some of whom seem to be it in for themselves and all the financial gains that come from it!!

It’s a pure joke the lot of it.
    Young lads out busting their guts in training.
    Broken bones and cruciates getting surgery all in the name of an amateur sport.a pat on the back and a bowl of soup.
    The county board then made up of fat cats that the mafia aren’t a patch on going around skimming the cream off hundreds of thousands and not a word said.
    Half the fcukers should be jailed for theft and fraud.
    A full fcukin clear out is needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

They've given 40 acres of the Mountain South site to Galway United for a training pitch etc.

My understanding is they're not funding the project. Galway United must fund the project themselves through UEFA/FAI grants.

At least their sponsorship with Galway United isn't being wasted. It's helping fund the First team and underage teams.

If they got involved with Galway GAA the money would must likely be used to fund the board and their fancy lifestyles.

Advertisement