Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I says wrote: »
    Corrib great southern and Shannon oaks hotel there’s your answer.

They've played hardball with the council over the Great Southern site and it's starting to look like they'll end up winning by getting the site rezoned.
    Doesn't say much for the council but the Comers didn't become Galways richest people through being nice.

How big would the market for betting on a new GAA manager be?

Davy Fitz was favourite for the hurlers yesterday at 2/1 but he is out to 6/1 today while Francis Forde has closed to 2/1. I understand Fitzgerald is meant to have committed to Wexford but would it take much money to affect the odds?

Wouldn't touch that market myself. Too many unknowns for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

grbear wrote: »

Davy Fitz was favourite for the hurlers yesterday at 2/1 but he is out to 6/1 today while Francis Forde has closed to 2/1. I understand Fitzgerald is meant to have committed to Wexford but would it take much money to affect the odds?

The money isn’t there to bank roll Davy by Christmas whatever money is here now would be gone. And I don’t want him and I’m sure others on here wouldn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

A lot of money placed on Alan Flynn to become the next Galway football manager. A good or bad replacement for Kevin Walsh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

A lot of money placed on Alan Flynn to become the next Galway football manager. A good or bad replacement for Kevin Walsh?

A cheap replacement which it seems is the priority

• Advertisement

I says wrote: »

The money isn’t there to bank roll Davy by Christmas whatever money is here now would be gone. And I don’t want him and I’m sure others on here wouldn’t.

If they couldn't fund the bits Donoghue wanted they definitely won't be giving Davy his 100k show money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

threeball wrote: »
    If they couldn't fund the bits Donoghue wanted they definitely won't be giving Davy his 100k show money

And I’d say for all that Donoghue wanted it wasn’t much.
    I’d say he’s blessed to be out of that gig

With the amount of wealthy companies in Galway there should be an initiative put in place to get them involved, Boston Scientific, Medtronic, Carey Construction, Rhattigans, Stewart, IBM, Cisco. That's just the city, dozens more throughout the county like Chanelle, Valeo, Transitions. All sitting there and I'm sure willing to get involved on some level if given a decent opportunity. Muppets in the CB are too busy pocketing gate takings from an intermediate relegation game.

The back page of today’s Tuam herald gives a good insight into Kevin Walsh’s resignation and highlights his recommendations made to the county board.worth a read

With the amount of wealthy companies in Galway there should be an initiative put in place to get them involved, Boston Scientific, Medtronic, Carey Construction, Rhattigans, Stewart, IBM, Cisco. That's just the city, dozens more throughout the county like Chanelle, Valeo, Transitions. All sitting there and I'm sure willing to get involved on some level if given a decent opportunity. Muppets in the CB are too busy pocketing gate takings from an intermediate relegation game.

I agree with the idea 100% but at the moment its a waste of time. The board need to be able to approach these companies and show them independently audtited accounts for a number of years showing that all money they receive is properly accounted for. Realistically that can't happen until the 2020 accounts are finalised and signed off on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Transitions are Tuam stars sponsor keeping local

Ya but they are a multi million euro company as are all those I listed above. Surely theres a way of making it worth these guys while supporting the county game on some level. Offer them team building sessions to go train with the teams, tickets for their staff etc.
    I'm not saying they need to be headline sponsor but if there's money generated to put into underage development and S&C that would be worth its weight in gold.

I agree with the idea 100% but at the moment its a waste of time. The board need to be able to approach these companies and show them independently audtited accounts for a number of years showing that all money they receive is properly accounted for. Realistically that can't happen until the 2020 accounts are finalised and signed off on.

I agree but i also think the board shouldn't be let anywhere near the likes of this. There should be a dedicated committee of GAA favouring businessmen brought together to get the money flowing and put the feelers out for those interested in getting involved. They would also oversee where its spent. No gombeen men from the CB. They can stick to their secret meetings and slap up meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Ya but they are a multi million euro company as are all those I listed above. Surely theres a way of making it worth these guys while supporting the county game on some level. Offer them team building sessions to go train with the teams, tickets for their staff etc.
    I'm not saying they need to be headline sponsor but if there's money generated to put into underage development and S&C that would be worth its weight in gold.
    Ya but ya couldn't trust the present Co brd with sponsorship money with the oversight that's there at present.tis awful easy to spend other people's money.. . Otoh a few tickets would be handy wife works there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

For a high profile job like Galway it should be decently big but it's still complete shot in dark unless there is one clear candidate and there looks to be 3-4 in running in this situation.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    For a high profile job like Galway it should be decently big but it's still complete shot in dark unless there is one clear candidate and there looks to be 3-4 in running in this situation.

Its only a good gig if theres resources there and backing from the board. I've never seen an all ireland won where the board was pulling in the other direction. My guess is they will go local and cheap. Whoever makes the least demands will get it. They couldn't have him cutting into the budget for Charvet shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Its only a good gig if theres resources there and backing from the board. I've never seen an all ireland won where the board was pulling in the other direction. My guess is they will go local and cheap. Whoever makes the least demands will get it. They couldn't have him cutting into the budget for Charvet shirts.

Rochford/Morris doesn't get the gig its because of the county board. They are meant to have already agreed to it in principle. I'd be disappointed if they don't get it. Hurling looks a disaster. Franny Forde is now the 5/2 favorite for the job (not giving bookies odds much weight but it is an indication of where things are).

Neither code is in great shape and the rumors of lack of financial backing makes it all very depressing.

Rochford/Morris doesn't get the gig its because of the county board. They are meant to have already agreed to it in principle. I'd be disappointed if they don't get it. Hurling looks a disaster. Franny Forde is now the 5/2 favorite for the job (not giving bookies odds much weight but it is an indication of where things are).

Neither code is in great shape and the rumors of lack of financial backing makes it all very depressing.

Whatever about Rochford I'd be surprised if DM took that job to be honest. He has never been a front man.

My guess is we end up with Forde in the hurling and Flynn in the football. Others won't be available or won't get the financial backing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Anthony Cunningham................ Could do the Hurlers and Footballers together. Cutbacks !

Betting suspended on PJ getting the football job.

• Advertisement

I presume that means the entire u21 team will move, Divilly, Scan etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Will be an interesting appointment.

Very little managerial experience. Massive jump to manage a Senior Intercounty Team.

PJ is quite a strong character. Can see there being personality clashes with current group. He'll knock the egos down a peg or two.

threeball wrote:

If true you would hope so. Unity is unity even for a fresh faced management team! Not sure what to make of it.

threeball wrote:

If true you would hope so. Unity is unity even for a fresh faced management team! Not sure what to make of it.

Hard to see where they go without money. It was obviously a problem for Walsh and Donoghue. From the outside it looks like a good gig but get in to the details and it's a bit of a poisoned chalice. Big expectation but huge changes needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Seems a bit early for PJ to be honest even though Divilly has loads of coaching experience. I'm sure PJ would prefer to have a couple more years with the U-20's but very hard to turn your own county down. I thought he wasn't a runner due to how busy he is with his own business.

If he gets it I just hope they back him financially. Maybe wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tellyium

Given GBFMs update, I’m very comfortable with PJ taking over. He’s a strong character and successful in everything he does. I don’t think he’ll roll over and will (or deserves) respect from the current panel.
    Assuming he brings delivery and scan, there’s a good team with him. His place as an all time great for Galway may even help him sort out our ‘structural issues’. Hope he gets it now tbh.

The best of luck to the camogie ladies tomorrow.
    Up the tribes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The best of luck to the camogie ladies tomorrow.
    Up the tribes

Expecting a big Galway crowd tomorrow.

Expecting a big Galway crowd tomorrow.

Hopefully. I know of a good few going.im working tonight so can’t go but I’ll be awake tomorrow afternoon to shout them on.
    Go on the tribes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Centrepassage

Fact Galway county board are in talks with a manager who has delivered an all ireland in the last ten years. . No more Strawberrys for Davy.
    Something more tasty and tempting. Linking up with successful senior camogie and hurling club managers in galway over the last two years. Both banner men who have previously worked with davy before.

Advertisement