Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Delighted for the women today. Great performance through hard work and graft. I think Cathay Murray should be minded with a eye to getting involved with Galway hurling in the future, so far his won a county cup with sarsfield as player manager and now an all Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Congrats to the senior camogie ladies today and hard luck to the intermediates.
    May they enjoy the celebrations

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

Congrats to the senior camogir team and hope the ladies football team do the same. Still not sure how you can be 7 points up at half time and lose. We're finding different ways to lose All Irelands in the last 2 weeks. Be good to add a football title to the hurling success.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Robert2014 wrote: »
    Congrats to the senior camogir team and hope the ladies football team do the same. Still not sure how you can be 7 points up at half time and lose. We're finding different ways to lose All Irelands in the last 2 weeks. Be good to add a football title to the hurling success.

Don't be too hard on the Intermediates, it was a second team against a first team (who had the momentum of a Junior win a couple of seasons ago). Without knowing too much about camogie, was it wise having the same manager over both? Fantastic win by the Seniors, and nothing fluky about it, had the presence and composure to steady things when the run of play was going against them. All All-Ireland wins should be cherished, who knows how much good they can do in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

MfMan wrote:
    Don't be too hard on the Intermediates, it was a second team against a first team (who had the momentum of a Junior win a couple of seasons ago). Without knowing too much about camogie, was it wise having the same manager over both? Fantastic win by the Seniors, and nothing fluky about it, had the presence and composure to steady things when the run of play was going against them. All All-Ireland wins should be cherished, who knows how much good they can do in the long run.

Main reason the same manager is over both is they all train together and some on the second team are subs for the first team. Think it's just a continuity thing. I think Galway did the intermediate/senior double one year and another Sarsfields man Tony Ward was manager of both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Robert2014 wrote: »

Ara 7 points isn't all that much in hurling/camogie. Points are far easier to come by, when a team goes on a bit of a run you can nab about 3 scores within a minute and a half

As another poster pointed out its a second string vs a first string also. The first string is always going to have much better leaders and some outstanding individuals. The intermediate team is naturally not going to have superstars (they'll be playing with seniors) and I assume its more a feeder team really - probably very young in age profile

The seniors were fantastic, and a great game to watch. some serious scoring in it. Kilkenny is a class apart and O'Reilly took her goals brilliantly. Dervan was on a very tight line, thought we might see hennelly for her at half time. Very hard take off your captain though i suppose

SFC quarter-final draw

Corofin v Mountbellew-Moylough
    Claregalway v Salthill Knocknacarra
    An Spideal v Tuam Stars
    St Michael's v Moycullen

Galway SFC relegation

Killererin v Caherlistrane
    An Cheathru Rua v Leitir Moir
    St James v Barna

IFC semi-finals

Micheal Breathnach v Cortoon Shamrocks
    Dunmore MacHales v Oughterard

Didn't get to any matches over the weekend, senior played out as expected anyway.

Interesting to see penalties being used in Dunmore v Oranmore. Caught it on insta live. Big asset to Dunmore in that they have a former Galway United keeper to call upon (who played at midfield in the game itself).

Have to say I like the tie-breaker idea. Oranmore will be playing hurling next week and I'm sure a replay here would have played havoc already with fixtures. As it stands the football championships will be played off very satisfactorily this year, and I believe the leagues are essentially finished too. Kudos where its due

The senior quarters on the surface appear straightforward enough, but you'd never know. Salthill v CG maybe the pick of the round, but CG took a bad beating yesterday. Mbellew will hardly rattle Corofin like last year? That said Corofin probably wouldn't have wanted them this early

hard to know with relegation. Nothing like a local derby to get the best out of Litir Mor I'd say. themselves, Killerein and Barna would have been expecting a relegation battle all year. Its the likes of James's who are in freefall and probably think they're way too good to go down, who will be very vulnerable at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

jr86 wrote: »
    Didn't get to any matches over the weekend, senior played out as expected anyway.

Interesting to see penalties being used in Dunmore v Oranmore. Caught it on insta live. Big asset to Dunmore in that they have a former Galway United keeper to call upon (who played at midfield in the game itself).

Have to say I like the tie-breaker idea. Oranmore will be playing hurling next week and I'm sure a replay here would have played havoc already with fixtures. As it stands the football championships will be played off very satisfactorily this year, and I believe the leagues are essentially finished too. Kudos where its due

The senior quarters on the surface appear straightforward enough, but you'd never know. Salthill v CG maybe the pick of the round, but CG took a bad beating yesterday. Mbellew will hardly rattle Corofin like last year? That said Corofin probably wouldn't have wanted them this early

hard to know with relegation. Nothing like a local derby to get the best out of Litir Mor I'd say. themselves, Killerein and Barna would have been expecting a relegation battle all year. Its the likes of James's who are in freefall and probably think they're way too good to go down, who will be very vulnerable at this stage

Yeah, James probably were looking to qualify from that group at start of year (especially top 3 guaranteed to come out of that group). Now, it'll be hard to keep lads interested having to deal with a relegation battle.

I saw a few of Barna's games this year and they seem a little unlucky to have finished bottom. They were narrowly beaten in a few matches.

Yeah, James probably were looking to qualify from that group at start of year (especially top 3 guaranteed to come out of that group). Now, it'll be hard to keep lads interested having to deal with a relegation battle.

I saw a few of Barna's games this year and they seem a little unlucky to have finished bottom. They were narrowly beaten in a few matches.

Yeah they drew their opening two, and seemed to come back well into the Spiddal game after going behind by 6 early. They're always in relegation, this is nothing new to them and they'll be well primed for it

A bit like Headford v Cortoon in intermediate. Think an absolute cakewalk group really hampered Headford. Cortoon on the other hand had to battle in every single game - only winning one! Crucially they won their last one, which set them up very well for the quarter!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

That was a terrible miss from the free but how did the KK player get away with being so close... poor referring and naive on the part of the players to not highlight it.
    She was trying to get it over her in the end and while she should have got it either way the players presence affected it.

I agree, the player was way too close, they did try and point it out but again the ref was blind. Fair play to her for getting a far more difficult one a few minutes later when it was really needed.

Ref was shocking, couldn't wait to give frees to KK, begrudgingly gave them to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

jr86 wrote: »
    Ara 7 points isn't all that much in hurling/camogie. Points are far easier to come by, when a team goes on a bit of a run you can nab about 3 scores within a minute and a half

As another poster pointed out its a second string vs a first string also. The first string is always going to have much better leaders and some outstanding individuals. The intermediate team is naturally not going to have superstars (they'll be playing with seniors) and I assume its more a feeder team really - probably very young in age profile

The seniors were fantastic, and a great game to watch. some serious scoring in it. Kilkenny is a class apart and O'Reilly took her goals brilliantly. Dervan was on a very tight line, thought we might see hennelly for her at half time. Very hard take off your captain though i suppose

7 points isn't much in hurling but it is a lot in Camogie.

to not score for the whole of the 2nd half until the free at the end was shocking.

Ara it happens. Westmeath got a great run on them and its not easy to stifle that when it happens. Balls just started to go away from them more and more as the game went on

They'll be disappointed but at the end of the day there were about 14 in the senior panel, and I'd say individually they'd easily swap becoming starters for the seniors in 2020 than winning any intermediate all ireland. As I say its essentially a feeder team - I wouldn't be too harsh on them. Anyhow they all played their role in the senior victory - all are part of the collective training all year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

What's the process with intermediates being subs with the seniors? Would a minute of senior hurling have ruled them out of the intermediate for the year, or how does it work?

Great win yesterday in the senior. I'm sure the intermediates are devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

macslash wrote: »
    What's the process with intermediates being subs with the seniors? Would a minute of senior hurling have ruled them out of the intermediate for the year, or how does it work?

Great win yesterday in the senior. I'm sure the intermediates are devastated.

Yes if they played for the seniors at all they would no longer be eligible for intermediates.

Intermediates in this case is being used as a feeder squad for the seniors. Quite a young team as a result and like all young teams when the tide turns its harder to turn it back. Westmeath had the experienced players that we didn't have to turn that game on its head.

Its not nice for the girls losing an All Ireland but in the greater scheme for the game of Camogie its better that Westmeath won and achieved their senior status. I don't know if we can even have two senior teams but even if we could thats not a good scenario either. Far better to use intermediate as they have to blood young up and comers. They have some seriously good hurlers on the way up.

Does anyone have a link to the recommendations that Walsh and co submitted to the county board after they resigned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

threeball wrote: »
    I said the same after the minors last week. We've had loads at different grades and codes. We even let a big lead nearly slip against Waterford in 2017

Ah here, 4 points after 4 minutes hardly a big lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Does anyone have a link to the recommendations that Walsh and co submitted to the county board after they resigned?

They were on back page Tuam herald last week.
    Mostly about resources needed for players that aren’t in place

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

I wasn't aware of the relationship between the intermediates and senior camogie teams. I don't mean any criticism but I think if you are winning by 7 points at half-time you should be able to push on and win the game.

We want to develop a culture that drives us on to win and not be as accepting of these defeats. As I mentioned earlier in both codes and for both genders we seem to be able to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory on numerous occasions and I would like it to stop :)

Davy Fitz speaking to people this evening.

They were on back page Tuam herald last week.
    Mostly about resources needed for players that aren’t in place

Didn't see the Herald last week. Thought there might be a link online.

• Advertisement

Farce of farces if that happens. Money for him but not to invest in players.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

To be fair I doubt he would take the job unless the players get everything they need preparation wise. Davy highly unlikely to do it on a shoestring.

Where this money is suddenly coming from is another matter. Our generous sponsor?

Where this money is suddenly coming from is another matter. Our generous sponsor?

Money available to someone else wasn't going to be the same money made available to MD. That was made clear to MD. It's a pity. MD deserved more support but blame of the 2018 loss landed at his feet by someone with major influence.

To be fair I doubt he would take the job unless the players get everything they need preparation wise. Davy highly unlikely to do it on a shoestring.

My point is they wouldn't support Donoghues team but can put 100k in Davys pocket before a ball is pucked.

I also think it's a bad start where a manager wouldn't exactly have public backing coming in to the job. I'd imagine the % who don't want him will be high. That's a recipe for disaster on a Loughnane scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Terrible outcome and one that points to a sponsor with far too much control of an inept county board. Aside from the eighties Donoghue was the most successful manager ever in Galway hurling history and they can’t find money for his back room team but they can for someone traveling from outside the county who will be significantly more expensive. Obviously hope it works out for the players but it’s disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Heard in Clare that he isn’t even in the country. Away on his stag. Due to miss the match at the weekend where he is manager of sixmilebridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

Heard in Clare that he isn’t even in the country. Away on his stag. Due to miss the match at the weekend where he is manager of sixmilebridge

He was represented at meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

spurshero wrote: »
    He was represented at meeting

Or so I am told

https://twitter.com/peterswellman/status/1171804428040658945

Looked like Louis Mulqueen was to be part of it too but last nights get together didn't go well.

• Advertisement

Davy would be as well off trying to rescue Offaly hurling or giving waterford a new lease of life

Grand fella to give a team a lift again, but he has zero business taking over an established side with serious all ireland ambitions. I assume many players won't stand for this - and I know for a fact plenty of supporters won't

Would prefer a manager who actually tends to last the full 70 minutes without getting sent to the stand either. As I say there are teams that could certainly do with his passion and 'antics' to give them a boost, but frankly Galway are not one of them.

Advertisement