Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Tommy Walsh and Johnny Maher now favorites to take over the hurlers......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

BENDYBINN wrote:

Johnny Maher as a Maor Foirne running onto the field would be some sight. By the time he would come off having given instructions half the opposition would be on the deck. Movement is very slow. Member of PJs backroom team is causing issues for the board. They need to scan for someone new. Hurling waiting on what Davy tells Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

PJ is intelligent enough so if he's ok with his backroom why are the county board objecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

BENDYBINN wrote:

Johnny Maher as a Maor Foirne running onto the field would be some sight. By the time he would come off having given instructions half the opposition would be on the deck. Movement is very slow. Member of PJs backroom team is causing issues for the board. They need to scan for someone new. Hurling waiting on what Davy tells Wexford.

Scan doesn't float their boat? I wonder who they bring for the other pivotal roles like S&C, stats etc.
    Whoever it is I'd look for a post dated cheque first.

BENDYBINN wrote: »

They'd lay down more timber than Murray's Sawmills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

threeball wrote: »
    Scan doesn't float their boat? I wonder who they bring for the other pivotal roles like S&C, stats etc.
    Whoever it is I'd look for a post dated cheque first.

What have they got against him?

PJ is intelligent enough so if he's ok with his backroom why are the county board objecting?

No idea. Our county board our a law unto themselves. The optimism I had that we would end up with a relatively decent set up is decreasing by the day. Lack of finances is one thing but then obstacles from the county board is a another issue entirely. If word is true they've had issues with both the football backroom team and wanted influence of Davys backroom team. Neither of which was well recieved.

No idea. Our county board our a law unto themselves. The optimism I had that we would end up with a relatively decent set up is decreasing by the day. Lack of finances is one thing but then obstacles from the county board is a another issue entirely. If word is true they've had issues with both the football backroom team and wanted influence of Davys backroom team. Neither of which was well recieved.

They probably want the short term fix of big names up front but want go cut the support team to a minimum and stick in their own yes man to keep them informed. The Gestapo wouldn't have a patch on our lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway Senior Hurling Championship Preliminary Quarter Final Draw

Tommy Larkins v Athenry

Cappataggle v Clarinbridge

Tynagh/Abbey-Duniry v Craughwell

Liam Mellows v Oranmore/Maree

Cappy Vs Clarenbridge should be a great game. Would expect Mellows to beat Oranmore, Larkins to beat Athenry other game is tough but I'd dip for TAD.

Could see a Moycullen Vs. Corofin final in the football.

• Advertisement

Galway SFC semi-final draw

Corofin v Salthill-Knocknacarra
    Tuam Stars v Moycullen

Senior relegation round robin (bottom two clubs are relegated)

Barna, Killererin and Leitir Moir

Intermediate final (both clubs are promoted)

Micheal Breathnach v Oughterard

Oileain Arann beat Clifden in the relegation play off. Clifden down to junior.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Cappy Vs Clarenbridge should be a great game. Would expect Mellows to beat Oranmore, Larkins to beat Athenry other game is tough but I'd dip for TAD.

Bit of a surprise to see Athenry beating K'daly today, but the winning score seems to have been impressive, and on that basis I'd now tip them to advance v. Larkins who're not great. Mellows should win, and Craughwell would be too good for TAD I'd wager. Cappy v the Bridge could be a dinger, and though I've a slight soft spot for the former, given their exploits over the past 2 seasons, I think Clarinbridge will win.

Salthill probably the better side v Claregalway but it took a last kick-of-the-game point from Gearoid Armstrong to win it, Claregalway had a chance just beforehand but it screwed wide. Kind of hard luck on them, but they're an improving outfit. Despite disappointing for long spells of the match, M/M could have put it up to Corofin had they take their goal chances, in particular a late effort which Power had to make a terrific save to prevent. Their tactics were awful though, should have been more direct when it was shown to yield dividends. John Daly good for the losers, his brother not really. Hard to see the seasiders putting it up to Corofin given that they've a young enough team currently. Moycullen should take Tuam in the other.

Result of the weekend must be Oughterard dishing out a hiding to Dunmore, Tierneys very good by all accounts. Breathnachs completed a good weekend for west board sides when removing Cortoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

MfMan wrote: »
    Bit of a surprise to see Athenry beating K'daly today, but the winning score seems to have been impressive, and on that basis I'd now tip them to advance v. Larkins who're not great. Mellows should win, and Craughwell would be too good for TAD I'd wager. Cappy v the Bridge could be a dinger, and though I've a slight soft spot for the former, given their exploits over the past 2 seasons, I think Clarinbridge will win.

Salthill probably the better side v Claregalway but it took a last kick-of-the-game point from Gearoid Armstrong to win it, Claregalway had a chance just beforehand but it screwed wide. Kind of hard luck on them, but they're an improving outfit. Despite disappointing for long spells of the match, M/M could have put it up to Corofin had they take their goal chances, in particular a late effort which Power had to make a terrific save to prevent. Their tactics were awful though, should have been more direct when it was shown to yield dividends. John Daly good for the losers, his brother not really. Hard to see the seasiders putting it up to Corofin given that they've a young enough team currently. Moycullen should take Tuam in the other.

Result of the weekend must be Oughterard dishing out a hiding to Dunmore, Tierneys very good by all accounts. Breathnachs completed a good weekend for west board sides when removing Cortoon.

There are definitely vulnerabilities in that Corofin team- full back line & midefield. But for some reason, no club can ever seem to exploit them. Could be the end of the line for this Mountbellew management set up. They looked like a team in need of a fresh approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

There are definitely vulnerabilities in that Corofin team- full back line & midefield. But for some reason, no club can ever seem to exploit them. Could be the end of the line for this Mountbellew management set up. They looked like a team in need of a fresh approach.

I think midfield tends to be a weak area for Corofin because effectively they play with only one orthodox midfielder until Daithi Burke finishes hurling and his presence seems to shore things up there. There doesn't seem to be a consistent partner for Ronan Steede, they've played mike Farragher, Jason Leonard and more recently Kieran Molloy there which I think has affected their defence. In saying that I thought Steede played very well today. Power was brilliant in goal, John Daly was good for MM, the brother tends to give up when things don't go well for him, he started well but faded completely when Corofin went a couple of points up. I think that was our county final today, can't see any of the rest beating Corofin even though from what I've heard the Stars have a few notions that they're going to be the ones to stop the 7 in a row. Can't see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I'd be very surprised if TAD beat Cwell to be honest. Cappy bridge very hard to call and probably the game of the weekend. Tommies should win, mellows aren't going mighty and bizarrely lost to Cashel but in knockout hurling they'll likely have too much. Oran are still unbeaten though so I wouldn't completely write off the upset

Moycullen might give corofin a rattle in a potential final. Assume they'd try and get Cooke back for it. Scoring freely and strong all over the park. Probably still a few players short though to properly go toe to toe with corofin. I fancy them to beat tuam though

MfMan wrote: »

About time for oughterard really, probably should have gone up years ago. Very talented side though and should more than hold their own up senior.

MB always struck me as too good for intermediate, I think the year they came down they had loads of injuries and FOC was gone for relegation playoffs

Amazing to see Derek savage still playing - when did he last play for Galway?

Matthew Tierney was sensational for Oughterard. Think he ended up with 2-5 with only one of those points from a free. Would be very surprised if he's not in the Galway senior panel next year. Unless he's still eligible for the U-20's? Not sure on that one.

Matthew Tierney was sensational for Oughterard. Think he ended up with 2-5 with only one of those points from a free. Would be very surprised if he's not in the Galway senior panel next year. Unless he's still eligible for the U-20's? Not sure on that one.

He's still U20 but I think it's possible he will be called up to at least the early season training sessions and see how he copes. No point putting pressure on the lad but as naturally talented players go we haven't had one this good at this age in a while.

jr86 wrote: »
    Moycullen might give corofin a rattle in a potential final. Assume they'd try and get Cooke back for it. Scoring freely and strong all over the park. Probably still a few players short though to properly go toe to toe with corofin. I fancy them to beat tuam though

Yeah they will need Cooke and Sean Kelly back. Thought Paul Kelly was brilliant. One thing he doesn't do is panic. He will be a great addition if he decides to link up with Galway this year. Hard to see anyone stopping Corofin but as regards talent they would be the closest that's left. Salthill/Knocknacarra are quite defensive in a similar fashion to Mountbellew/Moylough but at least in Rob Finnerty they had a target man up top. Still don't think they have enough to trouble Corofin but like Claregalway have a lot of underage talent coming through.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Paddy Power have suspended betting on Davy Fitzgerald taking over as Galway boss after a flurry of bets this morning.

He was available at short price of 5/4 this morning before a run of bets sent him to an odds on 1/2 for the Galway job.

Eventually betting was suspended on the appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Paddy Power have suspended betting on Davy Fitzgerald taking over as Galway boss after a flurry of bets this morning.

He was available at short price of 5/4 this morning before a run of bets sent him to an odds on 1/2 for the Galway job.

Must be the county board trying to gather up the twine to pay him.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

DVDM93 wrote: »

I was sure he would do one more big year with Wexford.

They went close this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Reported on a Clare gaa forum;

Davy Fitz Has been appointed the New Galway Hurling Manager.

3 year deal agreed tonight

Can yee take his father as well by any chance??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Sound if ye take back Davey as his auld lad would be an upgrade on our shower. This is a reckless appointment and stinks to high heaven. MD left his post due to supermac interference and the county boards reluctance to support him, now I'm no lover of MD but support him to the held and now they are opening the purse strings to a manager who's style of hurling will not suit our current crop of players

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Id hope that's not true - I don't think he is what Galway need tbh. Now if I'm proven wrong and he wins us an all-ireland, I'll gladly say I was wrong and he'll be welcome to Galway anytime he wants.

I'd have my serious doubts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

DF does tend to be considered the "special one" of hurling.
    Look how that worked out for Manchester United.
    I'm skeptical about what he can do here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

flazio wrote: »
    DF does tend to be considered the "special one" of hurling.
    Look how that worked out for Manchester United.
    I'm skeptical about what he can do here.

He'll cost ye a fortune with his setup, create a media storm, go on about his passion, take 2 sponsored cars and will talk about the pride he has in that special bunch of lads ye have

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Clareman wrote: »
    He'll cost ye a fortune with his setup, create a media storm, go on about his passion, take 2 sponsored cars and will talk about the pride he has in that special bunch of lads ye have

'Shur we are only the small fishes but those boys in there,in that dressing room they'd do anything I'd ask and I have asked, and they've done it'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭elefant

Call me old-fashioned, but I'd actually also like to have someone likeable managing the team I support. I really hope there's nothing to this.

Advertisement