Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

elefant wrote: »
    Call me old-fashioned, but I'd actually also like to have someone likeable managing the team I support. I really hope there's nothing to this.

Ditto

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

A Clare lad who posted 2 months ago that he handed in his resignation to the Wexford County board then comes out yesterday saying the deal was done and posts it on his facebook page as fact. And now twitter and facebook (and here) are running with this as fact. One silly rumour on facebook spreads like wildfire. 3 year deal is done. How does some chap who has no connection to either Galway or Wexford have this as proof yet no where else is running with it. As for Paddy Power, they base their odds and reactions on bets placed, not on information they have.

I'll be shocked if Davy quits Wexford for Galway. I wouldnt be shocked if he finishes up with Wexford, but still think he is staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

bruschi wrote: »
    A Clare lad who posted 2 months ago that he handed in his resignation to the Wexford County board then comes out yesterday saying the deal was done and posts it on his facebook page as fact. And now twitter and facebook (and here) are running with this as fact. One silly rumour on facebook spreads like wildfire. 3 year deal is done. How does some chap who has no connection to either Galway or Wexford have this as proof yet no where else is running with it. As for Paddy Power, they base their odds and reactions on bets placed, not on information they have.

I'll be shocked if Davy quits Wexford for Galway. I wouldnt be shocked if he finishes up with Wexford, but still think he is staying.

god bruschi, I hope your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I thought Paddy Power closed their market on the hurling job weeks ago. It was taken off the website the day after they took down the odds on the football job. Maybe you could get in store on it but you couldn't get online.

Very strange situation. Two local managers leave amid plenty of talk about not getting the resources and now they are recruiting someone who'll certainly be more expensive based purely on the backroom teams he puts together. Never mind the mileage costs...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Talks / dialogue have definitely taken place between a number of parties. It could be that Davy brings his own sponsorship.
    Though, PPs stopped taking bets on Rochford / PJ becoming next football manager didn't they? Hearing Liam Kearns now in the frame for it.

• Advertisement

cosatron wrote: »
    god bruschi, I hope your right.

Unless something happened late last night, but when that post was put on the Clare supporters site, Davy had 100% not handed in any resignation to Wexford. The fact that no national media is running with even the rumours says more.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Isn't Davy's 3 year stint with Wexford up, has he taken up the offer for another year or more.

If the players are happy with this then I will be too. He's one of the best managers out there, like it or not and I think someone who could bring another AI with this group of players.

MfMan wrote: »
    Talks / dialogue have definitely taken place between a number of parties. It could be that Davy brings his own sponsorship.
    Though, PPs stopped taking bets on Rochford / PJ becoming next football manager didn't they? Hearing Liam Kearns now in the frame for it.
    “The one thing I will say is I haven’t talked to one person from Galway County Board.”

Davy Fitz

https://galwaybayfm.ie/sports/davy-fitzgerald-to-decide-on-future-in-next-couple-of-days/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

GS11 wrote: »
    Isn't Davy's 3 year stint with Wexford up, has he taken up the offer for another year or more.

If the players are happy with this then I will be too. He's one of the best managers out there, like it or not and I think someone who could bring another AI with this group of players.

He's good at giving teams a bit of a pick-me-up but with all due respect he hasn't managed anyone of Galway's calibre

Clare winning an All Ireland in 2013 was one of the greatest anomalies I've ever seen in sport

perhaps a bit harsh, but he did nothing else with Clare in championship (did he even win a Munster game?), and while he deserves credit for going on a good run with waterford in 2008 it was a dreadful year for hurling. Wexford is an interesting one, he's certainly turned them into a consistent, more formidable side, but it has definitely coincided with Kilkenny's worst team in 20 plus years, while in fairness Wexford actually beat Clare in 2014 and Cork in 2016 (on top of a few under 21 leinster titles in the early 10s) so they didn't necessarily come from nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭kala85

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

kala85 wrote:
    Hmmm. Hard to know.

These rumours and ****e talk are a pain in the hole. All I'll say is he may not of spoken directly to the county board but people close to him has. Not sure what all cloak and dagger messing is about. No idea if he is taking it or not and honestly hope he doesn't. Maybe he's playing one county board against another. But the county board want this resolved before nominations close on Friday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

kala85 wrote: »

Would it be a possibility that he's made an agreement with Galway in principle & perhaps the news got out before it should have/he expected i.e. before he officially gave Wexford the news.

Perhaps out of respect for Wexford he wanted to give them official word first proper to announcing the Galway gig officially.

I dunno to be honest, it's all a bit of a circus really at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭caddy16

jr86 wrote: »
    He's good at giving teams a bit of a pick-me-up but with all due respect he hasn't managed anyone of Galway's calibre

Clare winning an All Ireland in 2013 was one of the greatest anomalies I've ever seen in sport

perhaps a bit harsh, but he did nothing else with Clare in championship (did he even win a Munster game?), and while he deserves credit for going on a good run with waterford in 2008 it was a dreadful year for hurling. Wexford is an interesting one, he's certainly turned them into a consistent, more formidable side, but it has definitely coincided with Kilkenny's worst team in 20 plus years, while in fairness Wexford actually beat Clare in 2014 and Cork in 2016 (on top of a few under 21 leinster titles in the early 10s) so they didn't necessarily come from nowhere

One All Ireland in 30 years. Wexford have the same in that period and Clare have 3.

haha a 30 year radius to judge today's form :D

Galway are a serial all-ireland contending side in recent years. 2019 was an outlier but in the 4 seasons previous Galway won an All Ireland, made two other finals and lost a very tight semi to the ultimate champions. In other words a top 2 side in Ireland. They deserve the best.

Wexford and Clare have never been serial all ireland challengers in recent memory, although I suppose the 90s is still relevant in your book

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

caddy16 wrote: »
    One All Ireland in 30 years. Wexford have the same in that period and Clare have 3.

Sure add on another 8 years and Galway have 3 or another 7 years and they have 4. Stats can always be manipulated to suit the narrative.

I'd say the main difference is Galway regularly get to All-Ireland finals which Wexford don't and even Clare don't really. So the expectations rightly or wrongly are higher. There won't be any parades for Davy if he wins a Leinster title with Galway. You either win an All-Ireland and you're a success or you've failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Galway underage, minors especially success is a big draw for any potential new manager

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭caddy16

jr86 wrote: »
    haha a 30 year radius to judge today's form :D

Galway are a serial all-ireland contending side in recent years. 2019 was an outlier but in the 4 seasons previous Galway won an All Ireland, made two other finals and lost a very tight semi to the ultimate champions. In other words a top 2 side in Ireland. They deserve the best.

Wexford and Clare have never been serial all ireland challengers in recent memory, although I suppose the 90s is still relevant in your book
    Well I wouldn't consider Galway a top 2 side regardless of what period of form you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭elefant

Well I wouldn't consider Galway a top 2 side regardless of what period of form you use.

I choose.... January to December 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

bruschi wrote: »

That could be misleading if the word around Galway, that he sent a representative (potentially part of the set up were Fitzgerald to take over) to meetings, is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Clearly top 2 from 2016-18. Lost by a point to Tipp in ‘16 semi final who won final pulling up, won ‘17 and beaten by a point in ‘18 all Ireland final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Planning permission has been granted for the new roof in Tuam Stadium. Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭kala85

Wouldn't be surprised if Davy appeared on the late late on Friday night and revealed all.

He loves the media attention. Its bad form in fairness if he is actually to go back to wexford now with all the speculation with Galway.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Clearly top 2 from 2016-18. Lost by a point to Tipp in ‘16 semi final who won final pulling up, won ‘17 and beaten by a point in ‘18 all Ireland final.

JC and Tuohey (who was playing outstanding) went off injured at HT too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Very easy to argue that they were a top 2 side all the way from from 2012 to 2018. Played in 4 All-Ireland finals in that time. Lost another semi-final by a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Very easy to argue that they were a top 2 side all the way from from 2012 to 2018. Played in 4 All-Ireland finals in that time. Lost another semi-final by a point.

A pointless argument but Tipp and Kilkenny would hold that "accolade".

The main reason Fitzgerald's charges were not weighed down by expectation to win was they weren't that good in the first place. He's generally cute about when he chooses to take over teams alright, but he's achieved plenty.

kala85 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if Davy appeared on the late late on Friday night and revealed all.

He loves the media attention. Its bad form in fairness if he is actually to go back to wexford now with all the speculation with Galway.

But he isnt the one doing the speculation. I'm not sure how it could be considered bad form when he is still in regular contact with the Wexford board, has invited half the team and the county chairman amongst other sin Wexford to his wedding next week. The only thing he has come out with lately is to say he hasnt spoken to Galway county board. So I dont see how he is at fault for any of the rumours doing the rounds. He wanted time to consider his options, Wexford gave him time and people are creating rumours as a result.

He may or may not return to Wexford, but if he does, it certainly shouldnt be considered bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

grbear wrote: »
    Planning permission has been granted for the new roof in Tuam Stadium. Great news.

I love that old stand as it is. Has a real old vintage feel to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I love that old stand as it is. Has a real old vintage feel to it!

The old vintage feel of........ a hayshed .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The old vintage feel of........ a hayshed .

A hayshed that protects me far better from the rain than the stand in Pearse Stadium ever did! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

grbear wrote: »

Are they just changing the roof or are they extending the stand and changing the seating? I don't know why they don't just put their efforts into working towards a stadium that holds 5 to 8,000 people in comfort with some little coffee outlets and aim to get as many league games as possible and ask for a hurling game or two also. Between that and the club games the place would be busy and it would be great for the town itself. Pipe dreams about Mayo and 30,000 people in June need to be put to bed. Its up there with notions of reopening the railway.

Advertisement