Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

threeball wrote: »
    grbear wrote: »
    Planning permission has been granted for the new roof in Tuam Stadium. Great news.

Are they just changing the roof or are they extending the stand and changing the seating? I don't know why they don't just put their efforts into working towards a stadium that holds 5 to 8,000 people in comfort with some little coffee outlets and aim to get as many league games as possible and ask for a hurling game or two also. Between that and the club games the place would be busy and it would be great for the town itself. Pipe dreams about Mayo and 30,000 people in June need to be put to bed. Its up there with notions of reopening the railway.
    A lot of the residents around the stadium not too happy with the parking situation around games

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Are they just changing the roof or are they extending the stand and changing the seating? I don't know why they don't just put their efforts into working towards a stadium that holds 5 to 8,000 people in comfort with some little coffee outlets and aim to get as many league games as possible and ask for a hurling game or two also. Between that and the club games the place would be busy and it would be great for the town itself. Pipe dreams about Mayo and 30,000 people in June need to be put to bed. Its up there with notions of reopening the railway.

There doesn't seem to be any images knocking around of the new stand so I can't say if it's just a simple re-roof job. The Herald did mention that Joe O'Toole is meant to have given €250,000 towards the stand before he died so I imagine they are going to replace a decent amount of the existing structure. Don't know much about roofing myself but you'd but a lot of galvanized sheeting for that sort of money.

Don't think anyone involved with DAFTS seriously expects to get back to a 30,000 capacity. I think they are working towards having a safe capacity around 10000 or a little bit with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

A pointless argument but Tipp and Kilkenny would hold that "accolade".

Kilkenny yes as they won three titles and lost another final but Tipp only won one final in those years and lost another final so objectively Galway's one win and three final defeats is better.

Davy staying with Wexford. Official.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Any talk of the football manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Let's not lament this now just because it seemed the case at one stage.

Vast majority didn't want him last week and should be very happy now

PCeeeee wrote:
    Any talk of the football manager?

Looks like tomorrow could be interesting. For both codes. Some very random names could end up being mentioned. Some underwhelming ones too I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Let's not lament this now just because it seemed the case at one stage.

Vast majority didn't want him last week and should be very happy now

Realistically Davy and Galway werent a match. honestly, I dont think Galway was ever in the frame and said as much yesterday. I think it was social media speculation that went into over drive. Meetings rumoured to be had when Davy wasnt even in the country. Ridiculous stuff. Galway need a manager to bring them on another nothc in the manner and way they are used to. an experienced side who just need pushing forward. Davy is a rebuilding start from scratch style manager who could either work or fail miserably. Wexford needed a rebuild and he has suited them perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

We could do worse than Davy but he played his cards perfectly, so he has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Davy commits to Wexford according to twitter just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Davy commits to Wexford according to twitter just now.

Thankfully. I'd love to know the real names in the mix for both codes. I'd like Daly but he's on big money with Crokes. I think if PJ was the man for the footballers we'd have heard already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Thankfully. I'd love to know the real names in the mix for both codes. I'd like Daly but he's on big money with Crokes. I think if PJ was the man for the footballers we'd have heard already.

Nominations close this weekend for both I think? So should have names then.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

ClanofLams wrote: »

Slim pickings.
    I'd say Pat Kearney's currently working his way through the phone book of the 87 88 team to see who'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

ClanofLams wrote: »

Is Rochford definitely out?

Hard to know. Any club can nominate anyone as in literally anyone for the job. Nominations for both codes ends today so I guess we'll know the names of those nominated over the weekend. I've a feeling if it was Rochford it wouldn't of gone this far. Money and board issues could have us in a tight spot with both codes.

I doubt he would have committed to Donegal if he was in talks with Galway.
    Prepare to be underwhelmed on both appointments I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Unless Daly gets the hurling, it'll surely be Noel Larkin or Franny Forde at this stage for continuity purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

I doubt he would have committed to Donegal if he was in talks with Galway.
    Prepare to be underwhelmed on both appointments I'd say.

I think you are right . At this stage it’s beginning to look like who wants either job . Only the Galway county board could undersell 2 attractive jobs so much .

The media narrative that "Galway missed out on Davy" is nothing short of sickening. Didn't want him, no indication that we ever enquired for him past a money grab on his behalf. Not to excuse our CB, who wouldn't pay him or anyone else competent regardless but the national story is a bit annoying

• Advertisement

"Denise From Galway" on Today FM earlier saying everyone in Galway is heartbroken Davy isn't coming. I'd personally rather Fritzel in charge over that rat bankrupting the board and stopping us having a decent manager in both codes.

With club nominations closed for the Galway Senior Football Managerial position, there are 4 nominees for the job. Padraig Joyce, Alan Flynn, Liam Kearns and Matt Duggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

With club nominations closed for the Galway Senior Football Managerial position, there are 4 nominees for the job. Padraig Joyce, Alan Flynn, Liam Kearns and Matt Duggan.

Lord above Pj was my favourite player ever but that’s one depressing line up of candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Are you getting that news from the ah ref lad? As he was tweeting that Davy Fitz was the new Galway hurling manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I wonder what clubs nominated who

I wonder what clubs nominated who

Milltown was PJ

If Alan Flynn ends up managing Galway I'm going to look for a nomination next time myself. Sad when Kearns is the best of the bunch. PJ is not experienced enough to run the show. He'd need a serious backroom team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

If Alan Flynn ends up managing Galway I'm going to look for a nomination next time myself. Sad when Kearns is the best of the bunch. PJ is not experienced enough to run the show. He'd need a serious backroom team.

What is wrong with Flynn? Highly regarded by a lot of players who have been involved in his teams from what I have heard?

He might be a decent coach but he's no manager. He doesn't have the personality or the authority to control a group of IC senior footballers. You have to know how to push people's buttons in that game. Flynn might set up a good drill or maybe manage a club side but even then what's his record doing that. IC is a different ball game.

• Advertisement

threeball wrote:

Maybe I'm being too optimistic but would Kearns not be a good addition? I would rate his achievements with Limerick underage/senior and Tipp seniors as being mostly successful. In saying all that I think if PJ accepts his nomination and goes forward he will get it.

Advertisement