Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel question: using colors in cells as counters

Options
  • 19-09-2018 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭

Want to aggregate weekend days, holidays, etc in the attached, based on colours, or some other solution to avoid having to count the number of days in a month that are weekends, etc

I could add in a second row for each month and maybe do it vertically?
    Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There just might be a function that can count colours, but I think it is related to text colour (which can themselves be formula-based), not cell colour.

I've done two potential options. I prefer the second, as it is less complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thank you!
    While 2 is simpler, 1 is visually easier to work with.

In passing, what does the + do in the If statement
    =+IF($C3=E$1,1,0)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In passing, what does the + do in the If statement
    =+IF($C3=E$1,1,0)
    Nothing. :) I just have the habit of starting a formula with + instead of =. Excel corrects it to to add an =. I think Quattro Pro Used to change a leading + to an =.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Victor wrote: »
    Nothing. :) I just have the habit of starting a formula with + instead of =. Excel corrects it to to add an =. I think Quattro Pro Used to change a leading + to an =.

Well now:
    Quattro Pro make you a spring chicken, like myself
    [Twin 5.25" floppies etc :) ]
    Keep well and thanks again for looking at this: I will expire the coloured text.

PS
    The is a work s/s where I have to key in activity codes in capitalised text and it counts the activities: I looked at it once, uses =CountIF(range,$l$3) where L3 is the code: e.g. W for weekly meeting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,602 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

A clunky macro-enabled spreadsheet attached- I suspect that the VBA can be improved by someone :)

Box link: https://app.box.com/s/3233hjo1hll5ue1e4sgs5xi5rq1l0teh

• Advertisement
Advertisement