Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Source Sensing Valve

• 19-09-2018 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a rainwater collection tanks (> 10,000l).  Which at the moment I mostly use for gardening, cleaning cars etc.

I would like to use some of this water for indoor use, mainly washing machines.  (I've tested the water and it suitable).  

I want to be able to switch from the tank to the regular water supply easily, and there are many valves around that will do this. However, I was wondering if there is an automatic solution available?  If the tank is empty (or close to empty/pressure low) switch automatically to the main water supply.

Does such a thing exist?  What is it called?  

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well one very simple thing you could do is to put a float valve on your rainwater tank in such a way that when the level goes below a certain point, the tank is topped up (to a certain level, doesn't have to be very high, a hundred litres I suppose) with mains water.

One product that might do this is the following though I know nothing more about it than is written on the Internet: http://www.sturdyproducts.ie/products/rainwater-harvesting-system/rainwater-harvesting-component-parts/sturdy-external-float-valve

More information at: http://www.waterfittings.ie/product/rain-aid/

Whether this is physically possible for your setup is the question.

The next step after this is probably an electronic programmer. I think you would have to program up something to do this job, but maybe there is something ready made out there.

Ideally, of course, you would have an arrangement whereby you would dump the contents of your rainwater tank if there was a weather forecast showing there was a prospect of significant rainfall (so as to relieve pressure on the drainage system on the one hand, but also to ensure the water in the tank was as fresh as possible).

I would suggest you do this around the tank, not with a valve on the delivery pipes.

The problem is that if anything goes wrong, you could end up with rainwater back flowing into the regular water supply, especially if there are any pumps involved.

This would be a very bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭unnamed

Hi,

Thank you for a great reply.

> The problem is that if anything goes wrong, you could end up with rainwater back flowing
    > into the regular water supply, especially if there are any pumps involved.

This, in particular, was something I hadn't thought of, and as you said would be a very bad thing.

Topping the tank up from main water supply when it gets low seems like the safest option.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

Advertisement