Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Only decent bands I can see headlining anytime soon would include RHCP, Pearl Jam, AC/DC, at a push, Iron Maiden. Pretty much everyone knows a few songs by each of those, I don't think too many would know anything from Rammstein. We can but live in hope. Personally I'd love to see Darkthrone headline.

Darkthrone at Slane? Jesus wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Darkthrone at Slane? Jesus wept

I think he meant headline in the one of the pubs in the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I'd love to see Springsteen nxt at slane

I'd be surprised as 70% of his target audience would prefer to be seated in a stadium nowadays for his gigs lol

Would be amazing too see someone return there after headlining 35 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If indeed it does get harder to secure a big rock act for Slane, and thinking about ideas outside the box - a possibility I reckon for filling it or close, would be Daft Punk. They are insanely popular and do have quite a rock vibe to a lot of their music. I for one am a big rock/metal fan but like Daft Punk a lot too, and like Metallica, they seem to get a lot of travelling support. Think with a good support band they could fill Slane.

Would absolutely love to see Daft Punk play it, or play anywhere at this stage. Its hard to believe they were in the height of their pomp in 2007 with the Alive album and tour and then they just stopped touring completely for the last 10 odd years. They've such a huge following that they could easily sell out stadiums but they just don't bother. It drives me nuts as a fan who has never seen them live. They're probably the only DJs in the world who could fill Slane too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

Muahahaha wrote:
    Would absolutely love to see Daft Punk play it, or play anywhere at this stage. Its hard to believe they were in the height of their pomp in 2007 with the Alive album and tour and then they just stopped touring completely for the last 10 odd years. They've such a huge following that they could easily sell out stadiums but they just don't bother. It drives me nuts as a fan who has never seen them live. They're probably the only DJs in the world who could fill Slane too.

Two main issues there, first is that an electronic act have never headlined Slane even though we've had pop, rock and rap. Maybe overdue? I can't see it unfortunately.

But the bigger issue is that Daft Punk rarely tour if at all. They didn't tour their last album and I'm not sure if they are up to much these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

endainoz wrote: »
    Two main issues there, first is that an electronic act have never headlined Slane even though we've had pop, rock and rap. Maybe overdue? I can't see it unfortunately.

But the bigger issue is that Daft Punk rarely tour if at all. They didn't tour their last album and I'm not sure if they are up to much these days?

Seem to spend their time now with the odd collaboration etc, but no, not up to much. 5 years since the last album and no sign of another one. All the more reason a the gig would sell out if they could be coaxed out of semi retirement or whatever they're doing! But they've played massive shows in their time, probably wouldn't be overly pushed about playing to 80,000 Irish people. Very unlikely unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they went down the Ed Sheeran route, didn't he sell something like 300,000 tickets to his shows here a couple of years ago?

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they went down the Ed Sheeran route, didn't he sell something like 300,000 tickets to his shows here a couple of years ago?

He did, but that was at the height of his popularity. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems people are maybe tiring of him a little? He was absolutely everywhere you looked and listened for a couple of years there and people do get tired of that. The Phil Collins of his time in that way! Personally think he's a bit dull for Slane but sure if he can sell the tickets more power to him.

He did, but that was at the height of his popularity. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems people are maybe tiring of him a little? He was absolutely everywhere you looked and listened for a couple of years there and people do get tired of that. The Phil Collins of his time in that way! Personally think he's a bit dull for Slane but sure if he can sell the tickets more power to him.

I wouldn't be a fan so wouldn't follow if he's released much music lately. Would Slane mind how dull he is if he got people in the gate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I don’t get his music at all but teenage girls lap it up and they wouldn’t agree with the idea of him or his live shows being boring.

• Advertisement

endainoz wrote: »

yeah Daft Punk are a bit lazy when it comes to production- only two albums in the last 12 years and they havent toured since 2007. There was huge rumours of a 2017 tour but that came to nothing. I still reckon they would fill Slane though, they transcend electronica and appeal to a lot of people who like other genres, they're a bit of a crossover act in that sense. Plus they've nearly 12 years of pent up demand to see them, fans are literally gagging for a Daft Punk tour and when they eventually do hit the road again it will be very big outdoor shows they do.
    PsychoPete wrote: »

oh jesus, if you've got heavy metallers on here moaning about walking 45 minutes at Slane could you imagine the sh1tstorm of complaints from an Ed Sheeran fanbase, going to Slane would be like arrmagendon for that lot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

It'll be Gareth Broooks lads - tellin yiz! :pac:

Big Nasty wrote: »
    It'll be Gareth Broooks lads - tellin yiz! :pac:

Nah it won't be Garth Brooks because Slane only holds 80,000 and as we now know Garth either plays to 400,000 or he doesnt play at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Muahahaha wrote: »

Someone a few pages back mentioned Paul McCartney, now theres someone who could definitely sell it out on his own. Saw him at Glastonbury years back and though I was skeptical about it (as was much of the crowd) it was one of the best gigs Ive ever seen, he just went right through the entire Beatles back catalog and it was hit after hit with the crowd singing every word to every tune. I think that was the night he gained a whole new generation of fans, its just astonishing how many superb tunes he has and seeing him live is like re-visiting your childhood. Would love to see him at Slane as he rarely plays in Ireland.

Agree on Macca playing Slane - it would be amazing. Saw him in 2010 in RDS and it remains one of my Top 5 gigs. Played for a looooooong time. Set list was comprehensive.
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-mccartney/2010/rds-arena-dublin-ireland-bd42516.html

quazzy wrote: »
    Agree on Macca playing Slane - it would be amazing. Saw him in 2010 in RDS and it remains one of my Top 5 gigs. Played for a looooooong time. Set list was comprehensive.
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-mccartney/2010/rds-arena-dublin-ireland-bd42516.html

37 songs? That's a serious setlist, he just have been playing nearly 4 hours!

I think it was the guts of 3 hours from what I remember. Didnt get any way close to 4 hours.
    A lot of the Beatles tracks only clock in a 3 minutes so there is plently of scope for belting out lots of hits. Was a memorable night

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Loved that gig so much , cant believe its 9 years ago tho. Has ha played here since?

Loved that gig so much , cant believe its 9 years ago tho. Has ha played here since?

Nope. That was his last gig in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I would love if they did a monsters of rock , grab all the bands who cannot sell out Slane on their own and stick them together.

They can argue over who headlines later but you could coincide it with Slayers last gig as they wind up their world tour next year

Slayer
    System of a down
    Rob Zombie
    Suicidal tendencies
    Anthrax
    MegaDeath

Etc

That would sell out from international sales alone

Are system of a down not pretty much gone? They don't get on, probably unlikely to reform, a shame. Think they've only played here once?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

quazzy wrote:

Yeah he toured Europe a couple of years ago and no Irish date, was a shame. Hopefully it'll happen soon, hes not getting any younger!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭klose

Are system of a down not pretty much gone? They don't get on, probably unlikely to reform, a shame. Think they've only played here once?

God there's a band i would love to see play Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Seen them 2 years ago in Prague. What a show!!! Would love to see them again in Ireland.

klose wrote: »
    God there's a band i would love to see play Ireland!

I thought I seen that they played a few shows on America?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

*nope sorry i was very wrong!*

Was sure he'd played here more recently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I would love if they did a monsters of rock , grab all the bands who cannot sell out Slane on their own and stick them together.

They can argue over who headlines later but you could coincide it with Slayers last gig as they wind up their world tour next year

Non runner, not sure if you were out of the country or something but Slayer played here on their final tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

they toured pretty recently
    i know they have been struggling to agree on a new album but think they would still go out and get a pay day touring

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I saw SOAD at Ozzfest in 2002, basically their heyday after the release of Toxicity. Don't think they played here since.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The crowd loved the SOAD song over the PA anyways

Really annoyed we never saw the Big 4 in Ireland when it was touring. Would of made a great slane or RDS day out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Duffy98

Wasnt there an interview from the guy who runs vicar street say that Paul Mccartneycontacted him to say that he would play a charity gig there? Wonder would that ever happen dont think it would be worth his time he could easily fill a stadium here

Advertisement