Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Non runner, not sure if you were out of the country or something but Slayer played here on their final tour.

I know but that final world tour is continuing through to 2020 , so they might be tempted to add a final gig back in Ireland for a big Monsters of rock blow out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I would love if they did a monsters of rock , grab all the bands who cannot sell out Slane on their own and stick them together.

They can argue over who headlines later but you could coincide it with Slayers last gig as they wind up their world tour next year

Slayer
    System of a down
    Rob Zombie
    Suicidal tendencies
    Anthrax
    MegaDeath
    Megadeth
    Etc

That would sell out from international sales alone

Fixed your post. :D

SoaD , always loved them, we were blasting them in the car on the way up to Slane, and at the campsite! , but I have seen some gigs on YouTube, and they 'struggle' to replicate the songs live.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I would love if they did a monsters of rock , grab all the bands who cannot sell out Slane on their own and stick them together.

They can argue over who headlines later but you could coincide it with Slayers last gig as they wind up their world tour next year

Slayer
    System of a down
    Rob Zombie
    Suicidal tendencies
    Anthrax
    MegaDeath

Etc

That would sell out from international sales alone

David mustaine was crying about playing 2nd fiddle to slayer on the last big 4 tour so that wont be happening anytime soon.

SOAD, are amazing live, saw them in Madrid couple years ago but as others said they don't seem to get on. Big problems between Serj and Malakian. Its, 14 years since the last album like, they are pretty much done I reckon and the last tour was just to test waters if they could stay together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Would love to see Iron Maiden headline a NWOBHM day.

Iron Maiden

UFO
    Saxon
    Diamond Head
    etc, etc, etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

rob316 wrote: »
    David mustaine was crying about playing 2nd fiddle to slayer on the last big 4 tour so that wont be happening anytime soon.

SOAD, are amazing live, saw them in Madrid couple years ago but as others said they don't seem to get on. Big problems between Serj and Malakian. Its, 14 years since the last album like, they are pretty much done I reckon and the last tour was just to test waters if they could stay together.

Serj has no interest in that style of music,
    Apparently it was never really his thing,
    they more or less begged him to come back but his heart is not in it

well that's what i understand to be the main issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Leppard Messiah

The money they spend on these tours must be incredible. The video footage alone, all the cameras, the light show, pyro, even the fireworks at the end went on for about 20 minutes. They could and should produce a Blu Ray of the slane gig. Could be wrong, but they probably won't play a bigger show in Europe this year, the venue looks great on camera, the crowd was fairly into it, a lot of singing etc. Would be good.

crowd looked very tame to me which is something ive noticed more and more going to gigs these days...south america is the only place where fans still go wild and a metallica show there is on my bucket list

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

ozzy jr wrote: »
    UFO

Another band who played their final show here recently :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

crowd looked very tame to me which is something ive noticed more and more going to gigs these days...south america is the only place where fans still go wild and a metallica show there is on my bucket list

Crowds go in waves really feeding from the top to the back, gigs with Golden circle in place are never going to be as upbeat as those without they seem to be full of people who mostly paid extra to film majority of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Would love to see Iron Maiden headline a NWOBHM day.

Iron Maiden

UFO
    Saxon
    Diamond Head
    etc, etc, etc....

Would love it too but could Maiden sell out Slane ?

They have a special place in my heart as Seventh Son was my first rock album , to this day I have it as one of the greatest albums of all time and its certainly the album I have listened to most (at least tied with lights camera ...revolution ), but not sure I am being completely biased on that front.

Where i had 10 mates in for Metallica in Slane within a day i think I would be hard pushed to get 4 of them to Maiden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Would love it too but could Maiden sell out Slane ?

Doubt it, they would have to be part of a seriously good bill, Monsters of Rock style!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Do we need to start a SLANE 2020 thread ?

:)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Duffy98 wrote: »
    Wasnt there an interview from the guy who runs vicar street say that Paul Mccartneycontacted him to say that he would play a charity gig there? Wonder would that ever happen dont think it would be worth his time he could easily fill a stadium here

yeah I think it was early last year that Harry Crosbie said Paul McCartney agreed to do a gig in Vicar St in aid of homelessness but it never came to fruition. Would be a bit daft in him playing a venue of 2,500 when he can sell out stadiums anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Thinking back the production for 2009s Marley Park show sucked compared too this years stage

Think 2009 had 2 side screens and a bit of fire. 2008 had the big screen behind the band

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Thinking back the production for 2009s Marley Park show sucked compared too this years stage

Think 2009 had 2 side screens and a bit of fire. 2008 had the big screen behind the band

The evolution in stage production over the years for big acts is crazy good. things from a even just a few years ago look so amateur.
    The crowd singing for Memory Remains, Whiskey, Enter Sandman and a few others is epic on the recordings.

This is why I wasn't getting the hate for memory remains, the into and Faithful's bits are class for the crowd.

The evolution in stage production over the years for big acts is crazy good. things from a even just a few years ago look so amateur.

is there any docs on this, would be intresting to see the evolution ??

U2 had great stages in the 90s, other bands too i imagine. Arena productions prob hit off in the 80s

When your paying nearly 200 lids to stand up the front the production would want to be big. It was probably 60 quid when they were in the RDS and I could stand where they want.
    I'm not complaining, we have it good these days with spotify, it has to balance out somewhere.

Last of a dying breed of big rock live acts Metallica are. We won't know how good we had it until they are gone. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

This is going to be unpopular but I thought ghost were sh1te a complete joke of a band anyone I know that was at it thought the same. There seems to be a ghost love in on the thread.
    Best support band on the day slf that's stiff little finger's for all those numpties that hadn't a clue who they were.

Listening to ghost a while, I think they are brilliant and give me hope for a new progressive heavy rock band.
    Did you listen to any of their albums? The sound was poor for their set to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

What about godsmack for slane, probably wouldn't be big enough to be top bill but would be great support

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

mean gene wrote: »
    This is going to be unpopular but I thought ghost were sh1te a complete joke of a band anyone I know that was at it thought the same. There seems to be a ghost love in on the thread.
    Best support band on the day slf that's stiff little finger's for all those numpties that hadn't a clue who they were.

Ghost were awesome,I thought SLF were absolute w@nk,had no right being that high up the bill!

• Advertisement

Dozyart wrote: »
    Ghost were awesome,I thought SLF were absolute w@nk,had no right being that high up the bill!

Wasant mad on Fangclub

sounded like spoilt brats and the singer with his stupid american accent

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Why is someone a “numpty” if they haven’t heard of SLF?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

I'd get out of me bed for Iron Maiden.

Might even camp there for it. The last Maiden show at the point was good although I kept out of the crowd for it.

Fangclub made noise while I was lying on my back on a dry hill looking at the clouds and sun
    Bokassa brought the rain. I missed a chunk of them grabbing food.
    Stiff Little Finger were interesting - I think they had a misfortunate time to be on at the worst time when everything got dampened down.
    Ghost were worth the trip - and worth learning about from the ticket.
    And there's the final act of course.... planty's been said already.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭jucko

Dozyart wrote: »
    totally agree, jake burns just play the bloody songs !! youre a support band , show us why you're here !! use the opportunity!

but no, boring stories about depression and living abroad..
    Bartender!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

And I couldn’t disagree more. SLF were, in my view, ****e generic punk. Therapy? Would have been much more suited to that slot. I have Bokassa above SLF

Ghost were something different on the day, and put on a wonderful show, friends of my who thought they’d be ****e were very impressed and are looking forward to their return.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I was at this one in 1984, a great lineup.

I was at that one too. Got the ferry over through the sound cellar.

A fantastic day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I had no interest whatsoever in seeing any support, we arrived in at 18:30 to the gig having parked the van up about 14:00.

We drove up from the South, but approached via Navan so that we hit the 'Red' camping area. Very good tip, as you are then right beside the action. Great craic in fairness at the camping area after, even considering dumping in a field in the morning and someone called Penelope having a gawk at us ca 0500 in the back of the van while she hunted for more Class A.

Sound was immense, really impressed me. I play metal myself and cannot believe they got the sound so spot on.

Bar ghost the support were utterly forgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Big Mick has still got it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭colmufc

Only decent bands I can see headlining anytime soon would include RHCP, Pearl Jam, AC/DC, at a push, Iron Maiden. Pretty much everyone knows a few songs by each of those, I don't think too many would know anything from Rammstein. We can but live in hope. Personally I'd love to see Darkthrone headline.

Pearl jam and AC/DC 100% would sell it out the chillies have lost alot of fans in recent years with how poor they have been they barely played for 80mins at croke park a few years back

Advertisement