Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Showing their age? People have been moaning about Kirk and Lars’ playing for as long as I can remember. So if you paid your €100 thinking it was going to be a mistake free performance, more fool you.

I remember watching 'A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica' with Bob Rock complaining that Kirk was lazy, sloppy and didn't practice his solos enough before recording... that was 28 years ago, so age has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I haven't listened back to it on the recording yet , but my granted alcohol infused memory of it was the terrible fake Irish accent during the song I had the problem with.

Ya it was ****e but how do you get the idea its racist? Consult your dictionary on the meaning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

So my Slane experience was ruined by an extremely drunk friend - missed more than half the concert :/

Was just looking into their other tour dates but flights everywhere are so expensive.

Anyone know any good sites or any tips on arranging to go to a concert abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭endainoz

First thing I'd make sure of is not to bring the friend overseas for a Metallica gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

LouD2016 wrote: »
    So my Slane experience was ruined by an extremely drunk friend - missed more than half the concert :/

That's terrible to hear. One person fvcks it up for themselves and someone else who has to look after them. Very unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

endainoz wrote: »
    First thing I'd make sure of is not to bring the friend overseas for a Metallica gig!

Yep that's a given :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

rob316 wrote: »
    Ya it was ****e but how do you get the idea its racist? Consult your dictionary on the meaning

I did say bordering
    It was such a bad Irish Accent it veered into mockery.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I did say bordering

Ah will ya whisht.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I did say bordering
    It wasn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I severely object to the crowd shouting ‘rise up your skirt’ during the rendition of Wild Rover. Disgraceful carry on altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

mloc123 wrote: »
    I remember watching 'A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica' with Bob Rock complaining that Kirk was lazy, sloppy and didn't practice his solos enough before recording... that was 28 years ago, so age has nothing to do with it.

Finitely enough that was just before he nailed the unforgiven solo!

Did James make a mistake in the verse of sad but true too or was that just me? Just asking out if curiosity, the man is holding the whole show together so I think we can give him a pass over a few lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

I severely object to the crowd shouting ‘rise up your skirt’ during the rendition of Wild Rover. Disgraceful carry on altogether

You were probably standing beside me so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

Yes it was a sh1t Irish accent,the same way he had a sh!t french,dutch,german etc etc accent when he done a native song in there countries!!It's done to give the other 2 a breather and for a laugh,most of the time they learn it on the way to the gig....I'll take it anytime over a 2 minute guitar wahhhnk-athon from Kirk

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dozyart wrote: »
    Yes it was a sh1t Irish accent,the same way he had a sh!t french,dutch,german etc etc accent when he done a native song in there countries!!It's done to give the other 2 a breather and for a laugh,most of the time they learn it on the way to the gig....I'll take it anytime over a 2 minute guitar wahhhnk-athon from Kirk

You should of seen the amount of guitar solo bollocks that happened at New Guns N Rose's shows. Similar nowadays with Slash and Duff back but not as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

PTH2009 wrote: »
    You should of seen the amount of guitar solo bollocks that happened at New Guns N Rose's shows. Similar nowadays with Slash and Duff back but not as bad

There were loads peppered throughout the set then, now with Slash it's The Godfather, and the extended Rocket Queen, Duff gets his spot too. I'd prefer that to what was.

Who the **** wants to listen to a Dizzy Reed piano solo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

I like a good solo but when you have seen the same dude do it at the previous 5 concerts a change is nice :pac:

The setlists are very precise. Hang means forced bull**** too the crowd

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bye2ZS_gpCw/?igshid=1vzev6ccmzxgq

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    There were loads peppered throughout the set then, now with Slash it's The Godfather, and the extended Rocket Queen, Duff gets his spot too. I'd prefer that to what was.

On Estranged? Yes, I do!

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Or Chris Pitman

No it doesn't.

• Advertisement

Big Nasty wrote: »
    On Estranged? Yes, I do!

Fair enough, I'll give ya that one.
    Or Chris Pitman

Who? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Hang - means to leave the chords/notes hang , instead of cutting the song to a dead stop, and then break into the next tune …….

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Christ on a bike, are some folk on here genuinely trying to make a point that a few mistakes were made in some of the songs? Have any of ye said point makers ever tried playing thrash? I've played for more than 30 years now, have always played loads of Metallica, and if you think that songs like Puppets or Creeping Death can be played live, and at that speed, without missing the odd note, then you are genuinely deluded. And I'm just on about the rhythm never mind the leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭endainoz

skallywag wrote:
    Christ on a bike, are some folk on here genuinely trying to make a point that a few mistakes were made in some of the songs? Have any of ye said point makers ever tried playing thrash? I've played for more than 30 years now, have always played loads of Metallica, and if you think that songs like Puppets or Creeping Death can be played live, and at that speed, without missing the odd note, then you are genuinely deluded. And I'm just on about the rhythm never mind the leads.

Ha, the proper hardcore Metallica fans are a fussy bunch! I think it's great they are so particular though. Clearly among the most passionate fans out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Count Hairyfoot

If they had to play a classic Irish song I'd love if they'd done "Where's me jumper". Now that would have got the crowd going.

For next year Heartworm will be 25 years old. Would be great to see Whipping Boy in the SLF slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

If they had to play a classic Irish song I'd love if they'd done "Where's me jumper". Now that would have got the crowd going.

Now that would have driven the crowd mental in fairness. You could make that sound very heavy too if they dropped it to D like in Sad But True.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

This time last week I'd already had a couple of coffees laced with poitin and a couple of cans of Guinness in a field in Slane. The event may be over but...the memory remains!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Penfailed wrote: »
    This time last week I'd already had a couple of coffees laced with poitin and a couple of cans of Guinness in a field in Slane. The event may be over but...the memory remains!

My Metallica Spotify playlist is still on the go since last Friday. 8 days solid now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

endainoz wrote: »
    Ha, the proper hardcore Metallica fans are a fussy bunch! I think it's great they are so particular though. Clearly among the most passionate fans out there.

Hardcore's actually love these little **** ups,they make each show unique. I remember at Wembley in 07 James made a balls of the first verse lyrics of whiplash,even singing "I ****ed it all up",still makes me laugh thinking about it. Similarly there's a version of RTL from Paris in 03 when they played 3 shows in one day and James completely forgot some lyrics and sings "I forgot the ****ing words,oh there they are" . It's funny but the 2 songs he messed up at Slane are 2 of their most played ever,Sandman and SBT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

Advertisement