Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Glad it wasn't on near me so

I was expecting a house party esque atmosphere with drink flowing only there'd be a couple hundred people there

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Same,. I was doing a bit of polite head banging, tapping my chest and singing quietly. Girl next to me was fist pumping and doing a few horn signs, the rest of the place was dead though no one moved.

Look forward to getting the DVD and turning it up to 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

2 slane videos in the top 25 videos of 2019

1. Whiskey in the jar
    24. One

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Nal wrote: »
    Capture.png

Screen-Shot-2017-06-14-at-11.43.11-am-768x442.jpg

bob-2-e1495373914221.jpg?quality=65&strip=all

rob316 wrote: »
    Same,. I was doing a bit of polite head banging, tapping my chest and singing quietly. Girl next to me was fist pumping and doing a few horn signs, the rest of the place was dead though no one moved.

Look forward to getting the DVD and turning it up to 11.

Any word on the s&m2 DVD/Blu ray

Was it not suppose to be out in Feb ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Any word on the s&m2 DVD/Blu ray

Was it not suppose to be out in Feb ?

Saw an instagram comment where they said delayed to spring/summer, whatever time that is

James going to rehab probably slowed things down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Jesus a year ago today

What a day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Jesus a year ago today

What a day

Slane...... Never again..... Until next time.

• Advertisement

I'd be reluctant to go back but depends on the lineup

The gold circle was grand. Remember the wetting we got for Ghosts set

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

The gold circle was grand. Remember the wetting we got for Ghosts set

The Gold Circle was worth every penny. Went alone and being able to go get a drink/toilet with no hassle was fantastic. Great view, not crowded.

The Gold Circle was worth every penny. Went alone and being able to go get a drink/toilet with no hassle was fantastic. Great view, not crowded.

Yeah but as the day went on it got a little bit tricky to get to/from the bar/toilets etc cause they were located in the back/sides of the general admission area and then factor in the mucky weather

Agree brilliant view no matter where you stood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'd agree with gold circle been worth it. No issues getting around until Metallica started then it got a bit tricky but a fantastic day!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭limabromac

Great memories...and the weather with the rain and bonus rainbow added to the best day out..camping was excellent ... Metallica Mondays on YouTube is showing them in Manchester this evening.... The rain never stopped for that gig...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

I'd be the same. Think it'd ever only be Metallica to tempt me back!

The walk in/out really is a killer combined with then being on your feet for another 8-10 hours. I remember looking at the site map and couldn't really understand how people were saying the walk in was so long.... looked tiny on the map!

It aint tiny:pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

If you do go to Slane again i can totally recommend camping at one of the sites near it, did it for the Foo Fighters and was the best decision ever as i was back in my tent about 10-15 mins after the gig

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭thebronze14

I had always said that but decided to camp last year and it was brilliant! Couldn't recommend it enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

If you do go to Slane again i can totally recommend camping at one of the sites near it, did it for the Foo Fighters and was the best decision ever as i was back in my tent about 10-15 mins after the gig

I've camped every time I've been. '95, '98, '03, '15 and '19. There's no other way!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I had always said that but decided to camp last year and it was brilliant! Couldn't recommend it enough!

Not one for camping (gig or anything else) but I'd say you're were lying back with a cold one while we all walked around in the dark too get to buses/cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

+1 on the camping. Metallica was my fourth Slane, 1st time camping. Literally will never do it any other way again. Get in the day before, you park, camp right at your car, we had a big tent and big inflatable double bed. Easy access to toilets etc.

10 min walk into the gig with FAR less searchpoints.

Once the gig was over we got some food and waited for the crowd to thin and just walked back over.

Only bit of advice is to bring a decent amount of food, theres only very limited food on the camp site and the queues were miles long, we walked into Slane that morning instead for brekkie which was a bit of a trek but worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its a shocking indictment of the venue when the only way to do it that isn't a total nightmare is to camp for 3 days beside your car just to see a 2 1/12 hour gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

The Nal wrote: »
    Its a shocking indictment of the venue when the only way to do it that isn't a total nightmare is to camp for 3 days beside your car just to see a 2 1/12 hour gig.

Campings for two days! I know what you mean though - in all the years of running it you think they'd make improvements.

I mean Slane itself is a logistical nightmare (that one bridge in!) but its also been very poorly run every time I've been to be fair. I have a few drinks beforehand but never in there as I was genuinely nearly crushed at the toilets at Metallica and have found the toilets and bars to be pretty much inaccessible at times. Thats every single time I went.

Honestly I'd happily never go again.

But then they pull out a fantastic act and Im sucked in once more. Camping makes it more tolerable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

kg703 wrote: »
    Campings for two days! I know what you mean though - in all the years of running it you think they'd make improvements.

I mean Slane itself is a logistical nightmare (that one bridge in!) but its also been very poorly run every time I've been to be fair. I have a few drinks beforehand but never in there as I was genuinely nearly crushed at the toilets at Metallica and have found the toilets and bars to be pretty much inaccessible at times. Thats every single time I went.

But then they pull out a fantastic act and Im sucked in once more. Camping makes it more tolerable

Yeah but camping Friday night, Saturday night and then leave Sunday. Thats two nights across 3 days.

You could see them Madrid or Rome or something instead and get a weekend away in the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

kg703 wrote: »

Are you a guy or girl? Either way, a poncho is brilliant cover for a sneaky p1ss on the spot if you are similarly minded to myself......

On Slane itself, I think Metallica are the final truly mega-act that could play that venue and fill it. Who else could do it? Not AC/DC in this day and age, maybe Iron Maiden but do they have enough of a following here? Maybe Oasis will make a return but they’ve done it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

I drove in and drove out on the day for slane last year and it was seemless. Not everything has to revolve around alcohol. No traffic leaving or entering, maybe I got lucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    On Slane itself, I think Metallica are the final truly mega-act that could play that venue and fill it. Who else could do it? Not AC/DC in this day and age, maybe Iron Maiden but do they have enough of a following here? Maybe Oasis will make a return but they’ve done it already.

Yeah, i think AC/DC might. But perhaps it could be a case of it "selling out" on the first day and then only 50k people actually attend ala GnR.

But you are right; it's hard to think of any rock/hard rock acts that could headline it going forward which may mean you are going into the Taylor Swift style category :shudders:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Are you a guy or girl? Either way, a poncho is brilliant cover for a sneaky p1ss on the spot if you are similarly minded to myself......

Id say ACDC could get a similiar sized crowd like Metallica, Iron Maiden not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Only way i can see myself going back is for a reformed pink floyd, anything else I can see myself giving a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Tell me this please, is the gold circle on a slope? I was in GC for GNR in London at some stadium, obviously flat ground, everywhere I stood for the whole gig there were either people walking through all the time (I see lads walking past multiple times after paying £300 for a ticket why they wouldn't just stand and watch the gig astounded me) or someone taller than me in front, couldn't see a thing

Advertisement