Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

The foos was AWFUL. Swore I’d never come back but here I am & I went to GnR as well. Good thing about GnR was we braved the rain while a lot of others didn’t so the place was pretty quiet until about a half hour before GnR started. Reasonable ish queues for bathrooms and bars. Got worse as it got close to the main gig. Foos was awful is every single aspect. Rain 40 min queues for toilets, couldn’t even get water because by the time I was queuing for food I’d have to leave for the toilet. I stopped even drinking early enough because I couldn’t cope with it

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ghost are made for a setting like Slane imo

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

threein99 wrote: »
    We stayed practically at the top of the hill, there was people falling going down the hill and not able to get up again(mainly because they were so pissed) so they were just rolling down it,

Yea , sadly we had dickheads just purposely sliding down knocking people over

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

kg703 wrote: »
    This will be my fourth slane. Every single one has rained for me so far :(

This will be my fifth.

REM '95 - Absolute scorcher.
    The Verve '98 - Grand.
    Red Hot Chili Peppers '03(?) - Pretty fine.
    Foo Fighters '15 - Drenched through...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Kevbrady38

Anybody sneak drink in from the camp site over the past few years? I am guessing if they catch you they just take it off you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Posted this in the gnr slane thread. Here it is again.

"tesco do these cheap sandwich bags, very light material. No zip locks or anything. Just little small clear sandwich bags. Triple wrap your spirits, place it south.

Because there's no zip locks etc, it's very easy to walk with the bags down the jocks. You can be confident it won't burst, and even if it does, it'd triple wrapped. I generally put just under 500ml

Keep a spare bottle cap in the back pocket.

Once inside buy a pint and a bottle of coke. Drink the pint, drink/pour out the coke. Rip the bags into the empty pint glass. Pour it from the pint glass into the empty bottle of coke.

So youre now left with 500ml of spirits, and an empty glass for mixing. Buy your mixers from the ice cream vans etc that never have long queues."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

D.Q wrote: »
    Posted this in the gnr slane thread. Here it is again.

"tesco do these cheap sandwich bags, very light material. No zip locks or anything. Just little small clear sandwich bags. Triple wrap your spirits, place it south.

Because there's no zip locks etc, it's very easy to walk with the bags down the jocks. You can be confident it won't burst, and even if it does, it'd triple wrapped. I generally put just under 500ml

Keep a spare bottle cap in the back pocket.

Once inside buy a pint and a bottle of coke. Drink the pint, drink/pour out the coke. Rip the bags into the empty pint glass. Pour it from the pint glass into the empty bottle of coke.

So youre now left with 500ml of spirits, and an empty glass for mixing. Buy your mixers from the ice cream vans etc that never have long queues."

Sounds like a solid system you have there, though if I drank a pint of spirits I wouldnt remember the gig, I usually have a naggin in a hipflask to drink during the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

kg703 wrote: »
    This will be my fourth slane. Every single one has rained for me so far :(

This will be my fourth one also:

GnR 92
    Neil Young 93
    GnR 2017
    Metallica

Pissed rain in 17.......no fun in a wheelchair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

5th for me
    GnR
    Neil Young
    U2
    Chilli Peppers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm finding it funny how everyone selling tickets on adverts is asking for face value 2wks before the gig, gonna be PLENTY flying around dirt cheap a few days before,ay even pick up a gold circle for myself on the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'm finding it funny how everyone selling tickets on adverts is asking for face value 2wks before the gig, gonna be PLENTY flying around dirt cheap a few days before,ay even pick up a gold circle for myself on the day

At least they're asking face value rather than trying to extort people. Makes a change :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

You can't ask for more than face value on Adverts.... but yeah, I'd say there'll be a fair few tickets about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,041 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i'm in Belfast this week, Billboards everywhere looks like SLF was a strategy!

Nothing wrong with asking for face

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Ghost are made for a setting like Slane imo

I beg to differ .... Ghost's show is better suited to indoors or at least after dark.

As somebody said on the Metal Warfare forum

"At 1800hrs all that make-up and smoke will just look like a few dead guys having a BBQ." :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think me and my housemate are gonna do this. I'd pay 50 quid for it, will they let me park a camper van in the car park?

RayCon wrote: »
    I beg to differ .... Ghost's show is better suited to indoors or at least after dark.

"At 1800hrs all that make-up and smoke will just look like a few dead guys having a BBQ." :pac:

It wont get properly dark for Metallica either, that's the worst thing about Slane gigs at this time of year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

threein99 wrote: »
    It wont get properly dark for Metallica either, that's the worst thing about Slane gigs at this time of year

Sunset in Dublin (can’t find result for Slane) on June 8 is 21:49. So if it’s a sunny day with clear skies, you’re right, the majority of the gig will be in daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

MadYaker wrote: »
    I think me and my housemate are gonna do this. I'd pay 50 quid for it, will they let me park a camper van in the car park?

They'll let you park it but I don't think they'll let you sleep in it...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Id glady take a dry day but not too sunny or hot

dont think i want to drink too much but do have a golden cirlce which i imagine is easier access too and from drink/food/toliets etc

Think if Ghost are a hit they will play there own show here within the next year or 2. Prob Olympia or Vicar St

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I attended Bowie at Slane in 1987.
    He started at 6:30pm and the show was over at 9pm.

I think Springsteen and Queen had similiar kick off times, which were introduced after the riots at Bob Dylans gig in 1984.

RayCon wrote: »

tbh doesnt look that bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5OHq0cFhS8

Ive never been too slane before but will this show be the same layout bar a bigger stage

https://www.slanecastle.ie/concerts/concert-gallery/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Ghost unfortunately are lost at outdoor gigs, I have seen them 7 times, 3 outdoors and 4 indoors, the last being in the Royal Albert Hall, all 3 outdoor shows have been disappointing and do not do the band justice as indoors with their stage show they are usually top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Think if Ghost are a hit they will play there own show here within the next year or 2. Prob Olympia or Vicar St

That's what I'm hoping for .... otherwise I'll go see them somewhere in Europe (indoors) for their own headline show

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Howya lads, have any of you driven to slane in recent years? Any hassle getting in/out? Contemplating driving.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

double post

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    Howya lads, have any of you driven to slane in recent years? Any hassle getting in/out? Contemplating driving.

Cheers

Drove it in 2011 and 2015. Getting there wasn't too bad but getting out you were waiting a couple of hours minimum to be able to move out of the car parks as priority is given to buses. It was often 1 or 2am before we got moving.

If you are driving and planning to camp, you'll need to get there before 8am the morning of the concert as the Gardai close the roads (presumably all the routes that are not into a carpark for the concert)

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Drove the last few times we went..no problem with traffic thou we didnt leave Dublin till 11 the morning of the gigs so werent getting to Slane till 12..There are farmers fields opposite where the bus park was in 2017 letting people put tents up beside their cars and stay the night for for an extra tenner. And thank god for that seeing as we were not even allowed stop for a pint in one of the pubs on way out..or way in..Metal fencing up all along the kerbs from venue to far sides of slane village..sent straight through the middle like sheep and no access to any buildings at all..just the odd portaloo!.. while it is all about the gig this was a big dissapointment..used to be a great part of the day to be able to chill out in one of the huge beergardens out the back of the pubs with a bbq and music going before heading in..and after.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

We've decided to use GoCar rather than get a bus and have hired a car from 10am on the Sat to 10am on the Sunday.

As it's our first time using them we got €25 off the trip (not sure about the rules re referral codes but if you want the promo code for that PM me).

With the discount that's just €45 for the day so delighted with that.

If you do sign up with them, one tip: make sure to tick the GoFar box in the top right corner when you're choosing a date and the type of car you want, as you get 50km free with each trip and after that it's 50c per km, but if you tick that GoFar box, then it's only 10c per extra km.

Might not seem like a lot, but let's say you do 100km, that works out at €25 for the extra 50km when you don't tick the box , but only €5 if you do.

There's quite a selection of cars too, we went with Hyundai i30, but you could get a Renault Traffic or Ford Transit (€60 with the promo code) and stick your double bed in the back :P

I could be wrong, but I can see a lot of people using GoCar for Slane and so would advise booking early as we did notice when selecting a car the first two cars we selected we got a 'Not available on that date' message.

Took them five days from them okay my account too (they just get you to upload the front and back of your drivers licence) and so anyone who has not used them before and wants to avail of the discount, would want to sign up pronto.

Just two weeks to go. Time's flying in. Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Someone was asking about campervan parking. Its €32.80 in Slane Farm for a camper.

Edit: That's per person

Advertisement