Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

https://www.met.ie/weather-forecast/slane-meath

Forecast is looking pretty good!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Do you know (or anyone!) if there is the same kind of wait to exit the Pink Carpark?

Sorry, no idea as I've never used that car park. Looking at the parking site and bus locations you might be OK at the pink car park as I don't see any mention of a bus park along that road. We had to wait till people walked up to the buses and cleared off before we were let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

. We had to wait till people walked up to the buses and cleared off before we were let go.

Its horrendous..didnt get back to cork until something like 6am last time..fecking gig finishes before 11 like!

But we still go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Anyone else book the camping in the ideas of having a great pissup on the Firday pre gig and Saturday post gig

Just copped now that driving home Sunday might be an issue with drink driving and being over the limit, wish I bought a breathaliser for some peace of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Anyone else book the camping in the ideas of having a great pissup on the Firday pre gig and Saturday post gig

Just copped now that driving home Sunday might be an issue with drink driving and being over the limit, wish I bought a breathaliser for some peace of mind

Can still do the Friday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 GRAMOH

Reckon there's a chance to not bring the wellies. Can't bring in bags and it's a long walk from bus...need some form of Slane cam to judge underfoot conditions ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

D.Q wrote: »
    Can still do the Friday!

The original plan was a social few Friday, enough Sat early to be lubed up and same after the gig

Having too many Friday night and being a state in the morning/afternoon is a recipe for disaster for the gig

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Its horrendous..didnt get back to cork until something like 6am last time..fecking gig finishes before 11 like!

But we still go :pac:

Tell me about it. Every time I go to Slane I tell myself, never again.
    Heading to Malahide Castle instead this year. Dart out, lift home.:D
    Enjoy the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 new Author

I was just wondering do Ghost do an encore or is it just Metallica a couple of songs not on the setlist I would love if they sang

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

new Author wrote: »
    I was just wondering do Ghost do an encore or is it just Metallica a couple of songs not on the setlist I would love if they sang

Your post doesn't make any sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Anyone know if there’s anywhere to get dinner in the village early on sat afternoon?
    The Conynghamarms Arms hotel normally but their restaurant has been booked out months now:

https://www.conynghamarms.ie/menus/

They have a beer garden though and they usually have a barbeque going for the day serving the usual fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I can't believe that Mountcharles didn't book Pink Floyd in the late eighties or early nineties, I know there is a gap of five years 88 - 91, but when plans for that Momentary Lapse of Reason gig fell through with the RDS 1988, Slane would've have been perfect, but of course David Bowie headlined the 1987 one and the event didn't start up again till 1992 so it also missed the opportunity to book them for the Division Bell/Pulse tour although Floyd's stage then was probably too big for Slane to accommodate.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I can't believe that Mountcharles didn't book Pink Floyd in the late eighties or early nineties, I know there is a gap of five years 88 - 91, but when plans for that Momentary Lapse of Reason gig fell through with the RDS 1988, Slane would've have been perfect, but of course David Bowie headlined the 1987 one and the event didn't start up again till 1992 so it also missed the opportunity to book them for the Division Bell/Pulse tour although Floyd's stage then was probably too big for Slane to accommodate.

The list of previous headliners is simply amazing. Poor Bryan Adam's and The Verve not the relevant headliners nowadays. Iconic names

In my head always had Led Zeppelin headling Slane in the early days but didnt happen. AC/DC never doing it is also a pity. The Big 4 there would of been awesome

Hard too knw the future of the venue (touch wood all goes safe and well for all Sat).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

Having too many Friday night and being a state in the morning/afternoon is a recipe for disaster for the gig

Given the prevalence of marching powder in every town and village in Ireland now where a lot of the weekends punters will come from the queues for the portaloos will be long with visitors hangovers magically being cured from the previous nights exuberance after they visit. There's been a noticeable up tick in consumption in the past 6-12 months at gigs I've been going to which is so obvious it's laughable with certain popular venues security staff being paid off to completely turn a blind eye.

Possibly considered old hat at the time? Or maybe the garda didn't want another hippy riot on their hands :pac:. It was only when the Berlin wall came down and they linked the event they became relevant again for a while...and then faded until Live 8 / Roger Waters resurged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Poor Bryan Adam's and The Verve not the relevant headliners nowadays. Iconic names.

I was at The Verve in '98. I'm not a Robbie Williams fan...but he blew them off the stage as a support act.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭dasdog

Penfailed wrote: »
    I was at The Verve in '98. I'm not a Robbie Williams fan...but he blew them off the stage as a support act.

We found a trail of Valium that day en route. Literally a yellow pill every footstep/meter where a pill had been falling out of someones pocket/bag where they had walked along a grass verge. Must have taken 10 each. I can't remember much about that day...didn't even know he played at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

dasdog wrote: »
    We found a trail of Valium that day en route. Literally a yellow pill every footstep/meter where a pill had been falling out of someones pocket/bag where they had walked along a grass verge. Must have taken 10 each. I can't remember much about that day...didn't even know he played at it.

So the drugs do work...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Your post doesn't make any sense

He is asking do Ghost play any extra songs that might not be on the tour set list, as a little surprise. Their set list is missing some great songs but all in the honor of supporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Are there any good shots of the t-shirts that are likely to be available at the merch stand?

I found this one (high res here) but not the best quality wise:

metallica-merch.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

new Author wrote: »

Ghost have had the same set list every night on this tour so far I think with no encore. They play for around an hour. There’s no reason to believe it’ll be any different tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Sly rax wrote: »
    Fair dues for putting up all those merch pics, good to have an idea of what will be on offer

I wonder will the prices stay the same. I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Depends on the bus you are travelling on. I'm not sure it should come as a surprise buses under a nationwide company banners are likely to not welcome cans and naggins on board

Group of 50 of us banded together where I am from and hired a private bus off a local company, no problems with drink or food and has a toilet, sorted :)

dasdog wrote: »
    Given the prevalence of marching powder in every town and village in Ireland now where a lot of the weekends punters will come from the queues for the portaloos will be long with visitors hangovers magically being cured from the previous nights exuberance after they visit.

Taste me you will see. More is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Happy Metallica Eve!! :D:D:D

Leaving for the campsite at about 6 this evening. There's nothing being done in work today. Cross checking every weather forecast in Europe instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

D.Q wrote: »
    Leaving for the campsite at about 6 this evening. There's nothing being done in work today. Cross checking every weather forecast in Europe instead.

I have about three meetings to prepare for and the most I've done is look up Metallica merch... am sure it'll become a relevant answer throughout the day :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Im out the door at 2 today.
    2 car convoy onto Slane then !! Few Metalli-Cans in the campsite.

Looking forward to hearing the soundcheck later on !! :)

"Exxxit Liight……… Enter Niiight……….."

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Holy Diver wrote: »
    They explicitly told me that there is no access to their campsite after 8am. Regardless of road situation.

I contacted them myself and advised I would be arriving closer to 1pm on Saturday and they sent me a map with directions on how to approach the campsite from the Wilkinstown side.

So I'm now assuming it will be ok.

Advertisement