Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

PsychoPete wrote: »
    There isn't enough sax in rock!

Not enough pope

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Our bus just got back to Dundalk about 15 minutes ago. What should be a half hour from Slane. Got in at about 2:45. Shattered but had a great time, Metallica were unreal. Sound was definitely too low for Ghost. Camping looks like it was a great shout, rippin we didn’t opt for that

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

Any guesses on attendance? Overheard some steward say 76k but don't know how true that is. The place was packed to the rafters from my viewpoint on top of the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Yea it was about as full as I’ve ever seen Slane. Which was great to see for a metal band. I’m sure there were plenty of freebies given out in the last few weeks but hopefully ticket sales will justify another heavy act sooner rather than later

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yea it was about as full as I’ve ever seen Slane. Which was great to see for a metal band. I’m sure there were plenty of freebies given out in the last few weeks but hopefully ticket sales will justify another heavy act sooner rather than later

Is there really any other heavy act that could play it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

PsychoPete wrote: »
    There isn't enough sax in rock!

A fùckin keytar!

The world needs more keytar!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Back at home in Waterford now. Left the bus park (quarry) at 00.50

More on the gig later

Happy I done Slane, it would take a massive massive act for me to go back

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

PTH2009 wrote:

Still on the fcuking bus, we re almost there though

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

PTH2009 wrote: »

More on the gig later

Happy I done Slane, it would take a massive massive act for me to go back

That's a good time to get back. The I can't see many bands playing Slane, bar Muse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Loved it. Would have liked a bit more fanfare for whiskey in the jar but other than that i loved every tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Just back in Limerick off the bus. Well worth the trip, but as someone else said, it would take a lot for me to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Back home at last. I love blackout curtains.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Mushy wrote: »
    I can't see many bands playing Slane, bar Muse.

One of the few bands I'd go back to Slane for. A reformed Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin being the only other ones

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's an article in the Irish Times today on the gig in case anyone is interested
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/metallica-at-slane-we-re-blessed-to-be-here-after-38-years-thank-you-ireland-1.3919787

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cagefactor

Whiskey was pretty terrible I thought. Crowd seemed not into it at all. James all over the place on the riff.

Surprising how sloppy Kirk is. Ruined the unforgiven solo with mistakes.

Enter Sandman sounded really messy to me. Like the drums were out of sync with the rest of the band.

Sound was great in golden circle mostly.

Venue: shocking. Full of absolute loosers out of their heads. Green car park is ridiculous far away. Took over 90 mins to get to when concert was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭argentum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Not sure how he got in it but there some lad beside me up front who recorded the whole show on a dlsr camera. He watched the whole thing his viewfinder. Ridiculous.

Why would ya bother when its being recorded anyway and you can get a stream of it after with your ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Didn't get home until about 4 o clock. Sent the wrong direction to my bus by An Garda siochana(blue car park) and by the time I got there bus was gone. Spent 200 euro to get a taxi from Navan to come get me and I was lucky to even get one.Awful set up for getting out of. So many people walking the streets at 2 or 3 o clock looking for taxis and very few about.
    Ruined what was otherwise a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Why would ya bother when its being recorded anyway and you can get a stream of it after with your ticket

Because millennials?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Didn't get home until about 4 o clock. Sent the wrong direction to my bus by An Garda siochana(blue car park) and by the time I got there bus was gone. Spent 200 euro to get a taxi from Navan to come get me and I was lucky to even get one.Awful set up for getting out of. So many people walking the streets at 2 or 3 o clock looking for taxis and very few about.
    Ruined what was otherwise a great day.

Ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭glucifer

mrcheez wrote: »
    Because millennials?

Nope. Pretty sure I know this guy... Chromeboy2003 on YouTube, films amazing videos. Some bands have even used his content on releases. Great for someone like me who couldn't make the gig.

Now, I may be wrong but I do know he was in the GC and usually films the concerts he goes to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

cagefactor wrote: »
    Surprising how sloppy Kirk is. Ruined the unforgiven solo with mistakes.

This isn't a new feature of his playing. I've seen then enough times to confirm this is pretty consistent.

He's not really into it anymore if you ask me. Given he spent the last album writing sessions surfing (though people claim James wouldn't let him be involved) kinda says to me phoning it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

It felt like Lars dropped a few beats here and there?

Also was the overall tempo sped up or was I imagining things? It'd make sense that they'd up it to fit into the allotted time after arriving 50 mins late.

Lars dropped a few beats? Tempo was all over the shop? Kirk butchered solos? Ya, as said this has been the case for years at this point. The lads are fairly shocking live, shame as they used be untouchable. Age has nothing to do with it either, it is what it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

some fantastic scenery behind the stage :) rain was a downer, gig would of been 10x better with sunshine. Metallica were good but some tracks from weaker albums should not be on the setlist. Metallica are and always will be about the 1st 4 albums and i guess the black album. Most people would agree. A setlist containing these would be more than great. 1st and last time in Slane for me, to regimental. enjoyed tge day though

glucifer wrote: »
    Lars dropped a few beats? Tempo was all over the shop? Kirk butchered solos? Ya, as said this has been the case for years at this point.

Shame, first time seeing them live and tbh I'd not be pushed to go again. I've seen megadeth a few times and Dave and co. feel a lot tighter musically.

That said, still a cracking gig last night, I enjoyed it regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Nekro Man wrote: »
    It felt like Lars dropped a few beats here and there?

Also was the overall tempo sped up or was I imagining things? It'd make sense that they'd up it to fit into the allotted time after arriving 50 mins late.

That would a serious tempo increase to make up 50 mins

threein99 wrote: »
    That would a serious tempo increase to make up 50 mins

Gotta squeeze in the wild rover somehow

Nekro Man wrote: »
    Shame, first time seeing them live and tbh I'd not be pushed to go again. I've seen megadeth a few times and Dave and co. feel a lot tighter musically.

That said, still a cracking gig last night, I enjoyed it regardless.

Ya, pretty much every line up of Megadeth has been tight, they are a well oiled machine. James Hetfield's right hand is the only thing that hasn't gone to **** in Metallica these days, once that goes its over. Hate to be "that guy" but they haven't been as good live since Jason left. And that's not just down to Jason, I wasn't at the gig but I guarantee Lars didn't play half the kicks on "Spit", lazy fecker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

https://youtu.be/DNBKSqRmXFs

Definitely as full as I've ever seen Slane. Weather was very kind considering what it was like for the Foo's!
    Wild rover was more than a bit toora loora for me when there's plenty of Irish rock tunes they could have had a stab at.
    Only got going from one onwards for me, but a great gig and good sound from where I stood anyway apart from ****ing up the verses in sandman.
    The piss police were in full force yesterday, they must have been on commission! :-)

Advertisement