Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

jamesbere wrote: »
    I would of cried if they played fade to black, love it.

Id say lars was sweating after, those flames on stage were belting out some heat

I checked to see if my eyebrows were still there at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Prob just where you were, I saw nothing like that, I was near bottom of hill

Agreed. We were trying to stay close to the bar and toilets, and paid the price

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Venue- first time in slane, had a decent experience but the rain really put people in pissy moods. The layout is weird as the bars are a decent bit away from the general standing area. Toilets are a pain in the whole too and I Think it was after or before ghost the que for the gents too the right of the stage was gigantic. Lots of drunks/ole ole olers there for a day out and nothing else. Quite a few over the top aggressive people too but tbh both of those are a norm for a big Irish event. They need too install more temp lights for the walk back too the coaches, accident waiting too happen. Dont think I'd return too Slane but if I was VIP section.

Fangclub were ok but the singer annoyed me with his stupid accent

Borskka not my thing but great riffs. Very similar too Kvrlertek who I saw support Metallica in Glasgow. Lars must like all that stuff. The rain really wrecked there set a bit

SLF felt a bit out place but put in a decent shift. Maybe they should of been on 2nd

Ghost were brilliant even if the rain took a bit of attention away. Some people didnt have a notion of what it was or what was going on. Tobias is a great entertainer and there songs are quite catchy. Not sure would I go see a full set as they probably done most of their skits and stuff yesterday. Would of loving too see Early Ghost when they were more gothic

Metallica simply on fire, loved the setlist esp hearing Frantic, Unforgiven and Ride the lightning. Whiskey was ok and out of the way nice and early. The stage was awesome as was the visuals, the daylight ruined some of the early visuals. On par with U2s Joshua Tree stage imo. Band were on fire but James making a few mistakes which he joked about. Kirk seemed more excited than usual could of been just me. Rob good as always except that Wild Rover cover was cringeworthy. Lars usual self. Hard too knw when they will be back here next hopefully it's a stadium

Bus back was horrible but I started making my way to the exits after spit the bone. Half made out the stage st the top of the hill for the NEM and Sandman

Much tamer Bon Jovi next Sat in the RDS which will be like paradise compared too Slane lol. Would actually love to see Slane Castle in its normal setting looks amazing area

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Brilliant day all n all

Got home to blessington around half 5 am

Slept maybe 3 hours

Up and at it again this morning. Looking at YouTube clips and showing the 3 yr old where daddy was last night!!

Highlights for me - the intro music getting everyone very excited. HARDWIRED Puttin manners on everyone haha

Memory remains I’ve never heard live before.

Whiskey- brilliant, just brilliant. Het is some singer and guitarist. Had the crowd in his palms. He’s as cracked as the crows I’d say

Sad but true - feckin epic

Master of puppets. Wow just wow, crowd seemed to really get into this one. Lads put in 200%

Lars is some man for one man!

FWTBT -from memory Kirk was unreal during this

Enter sandman - awww lads, saved the best for last. Fckin class. Minute we heard the opening riff the place went off. Some energy.

I’d say lord Charles was wondering if the castle would sustain the night hahaha

The stage was great. Absolutely gi-normous. Epic. The screens looked great as it got darker. Was that a drone they had circling around?

Weather wasn’t ideal but Was happy out as had a good drop on the bus and also on the way up to venue. Jack and coke and cans of Stella

Would echo the slight complains about the food offering available. Also some of the security were heavy handed when no need.

Gardai everywhere

Bit of a trudge back as always after the concert. It is what it is folks

Met a crowd of builders I know in the absolute bananas horrors Jasus the building site will be fun tomor going by them

Went back to a buddy’s caravan and belted out the tunes for a few hours -one lad Gerry an absolutely amazing guitarist-should’ve been on stage-few more cheeky cans had I hyped to bejasus over it all tbh

Overal

Atmosphere 9/10
    Band-9/10
    Venue-8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Count Hairyfoot

Is the video of the night available to stream or is it just the audio. Are Ghost up to there too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭limabromac

Great nite.. Metallica were literally on fire... Had a great time and because of the weather it was even more special.....anyone notice there definitely was no zone A so gave Ticketmaster an extra tenner just for the sake of it...had a great time camping... Metallica were simply outstanding...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Really pleased it was almost a sellout yesterday despite all the usual problems - bar queues are becoming crazy and I queued for an hour for Wok n Roll, ridiculous - but it's a reminder that only the big rock acts really work in those venues. I really hope there's another Slane gig next year and a heavy rock act - will definitely pay for gold circle as clearly the only spot to be in.

Meanwhile 175,000 are heading to Glastonbury in a few weeks where Stormzy and Miley Cyrus are the main acts - a frightening thought.

If Miley has become a rock queen as she was in latest Black Mirror episode it might not be too bad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Leppard Messiah

From the 2019 Gigs thread:

LOL

in fairness id say half of the crowd didn't know anything apartment from the black album/puppets/one...i thought Lars would have guaged the crowd a bit better and play more of a greatest hits set (drop frantic and only play 3 max from hardwired)..a bit like they did at glastonbury....if they played next summer in the aviva (50k) they would struggle to fill it..slane brings out the event junkies..i knew loads of people there yesterday who hadnt a clue about metallica..still gutted to have missed it..golden circle ticket/flight/bus all booked but was admitted to hospital wed night and only got released last night..seeing them in twickenham in two weeks though

Enjoyed that. Did get out after creeping death to beat the queue.

Not sure how he got in it but there some lad beside me up front who recorded the whole show on a dlsr camera. He watched the whole thing his viewfinder. Ridiculous.

dont understand this leaving early thing...you left with 4 songs to go..essentially 20% of the gig!!...each to their own i suppose..personally love arriving early to these events and staying right to the end to enjoy the whole experience

agree with you on the lad who watched the whole show through his viewfinder..such a waste in my opinion..personally hate phones at gigs..maybe im just a grumpy old bastard who though things were better in the 90's haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Very rough crowd where we were. Lots of aggressive drunk arseholes.

You mean these guys to the left of the stage where we were?

I spent a lot of the night just holding them back. I loved it tbh. One guy there next to us looked PISSED at them, though. Fury in his eyes all night long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭klose

Frantic is such a kick ass song live

MY LIFESTYLE DETERMINES MY DEATHSTYLE!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

My first Metallica concert, and I really enjoyed it. Bottom of Hill to the right for most of it. Great spot, but going to the toilet or getting a beer was no joke. You'd want Sherpas and a cattle prod to get through.

Brother accidentally on purpose wound up in gold circle. Fortunately met some people I knew (random chance), and had a blast.

Walk to bus was expectedly long. Bus drive home to limerick was crazy long. 4 hours! Nearly Dawn when I got home.

Wild Rover was cringe. Video background for one was amazing.

And where was zone a? Must have been online, because it was all general admission as far as I could see!

Nekro Man wrote: »
    It felt like Lars dropped a few beats here and there?

Also was the overall tempo sped up or was I imagining things? It'd make sense that they'd up it to fit into the allotted time after arriving 50 mins late.

metallica never arrive on stage at the allotted time..their set last night was the same length as all shows recently..18 songs..2 hrs to 2hrs 5mins..they havent done 2hr 30 min sets since the black album tour

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Was anyone at the Olympia practice session?

doubt it unless you are in the bands inner circle. may have been a few press people there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

metallica never arrive on stage at the allotted time..their set last night was the same length as all shows recently..18 songs..2 hrs to 2hrs 5mins..they havent done 2hr 30 min sets since the black album tour

They came on at roughly 8.45 right? I have a photo of them bowing to the crowd at the end which is time stamped at 11.16.

So it was definitely longer than that unless my starting time is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

They came on at roughly 8.45 right? I have a photo of them bowing to the crowd at the end which is time stamped at 11.16.

So it was definitely longer than that unless my starting time is wrong.
    Yup hardwired was 8.51
    Finish of sandman was 11.12

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Ah sure back during the Wherever We May Roam Tour it was just shy of 3 hours most nights.

You mean these guys to the left of the stage where we were?

I spent a lot of the night just holding them back. I loved it tbh. One guy there next to us looked PISSED at them, though. Fury in his eyes all night long.

what do people expect!!..its not a michael buble gig ffs..if you go near the front expect a bit of moshing..god help these people if they went to metal/rock gigs 20 years ago when crowds were a lot crazier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Be good to get everyone tagging Ticketmaster in tweets and Facebook posts about the extra 10 euro they charged for nothing on the tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

threein99 wrote: »
    Be good to get everyone tagging Ticketmaster in tweets and Facebook posts about the extra 10 euro they charged for nothing on the tickets

This. Take a few mins and fill out their annoying form and definitely follow up on this. Thousands of euros for nothing with that €10 scam, they made!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Ya what a scam they were saying it was an extra tenner for not having to stand on top of the hill we got caught there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

The Wild Rover was cringey but fair play to them for learning it for the Irish audience. Shure tisnt that what yanks do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

This. Take a few mins and fill out their annoying form and definitely follow up on this. Thousands of euros for nothing with that €10 scam, they made!

I'm going to chase them on this, it's outrageous to think they can charge thousands of people an extra tenner for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Don't forget to sign up for your download of the gig too. Just did it there. Says it's usually 2-3 days after the gig that it's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭BurnUp78

Went for a few pints in some pup afterwards and just about made the last bus home to Dublin, phew.
    That was the most I've ever enjoyed Slane Metallica were savage despite a lull around the halfway mark. Sound was far better than GnR and I think Metallica are just an all round better live band than Guns.
    Stayed on top of the hill for the whole of Metallica lots of space and no rowdy egits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Don't forget to sign up for your download of the gig too. Just did it there. Says it's usually 2-3 days after the gig that it's available.

Have you a link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Where and how do we do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

what do people expect!!..its not a michael buble gig ffs..if you go near the front expect a bit of moshing..god help these people if they went to metal/rock gigs 20 years ago when crowds were a lot crazier

Worrying lack of long hair amongst the metal youth of today !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The lads on about the extra tender thing.

Funnily enough this will result in Ticketmaster making more money the next time. They will get rid of ‘Zone A’ and charge the same price and General admission. You can’t win ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

Half thinking that's only in north america, might not be available for European dates.

Advertisement